PDA

View Full Version : Alexander GUNN (Latheron)

scottishrootsbarb
18-Nov-10, 17:32
It has been said "The first removal from Langwell was Alexander Gunn who was evicted from his family's long occupied home situated near where today are Langwell Gardens. This was in 1793."
It has been suggested that he had a son and grandson both named Donald. Does anyone know or have any information about this family?
Barb

Artista
19-Nov-10, 21:58
Hi I have Gunn family connections although I don't live in the area.
I have visited the old graveyard at the Gunn centre in Latheron. I think the big memorialwith a dove on it is to your Alexander.
I had a look at the graven images website but the Donalds there seem to be too young for your search.
It may be worth a look if you have not already tried this.
Good luck;)

jflem
10-Jan-11, 23:01
may i suggest you go to

http://www.badbeafamilies.com/

Jim

suseh1
11-Jan-11, 10:24
hi I have an Alexander Gunn married to a Marion Mackay they had a child baptised 1770 called Janet Gunn in Reay dont know if there are any connection to yours?? Perhaps we could swap info and see if there is a connection.

thanks susan

Mairigunn
04-Dec-12, 09:05
I am looking for an Elizabeth Gunn from Latheron b, 1788, who married George Gunn, whom I know nothing about. Maybe one of their fathers was an Alexander. Their son was Alexander born in Dalkeith in 1812. I am trying to find out more about them...

Christina Baldwin
06-Dec-12, 21:00
Re the Latheron Gunns I think the only way to get accurate information is to do as Rosemary Skea suggests in another post and find them on Freereg then get the docs from ScotlandsPeople. Re the Badbeafamilies website yes there is a lot of information there but one problem is that a lot of different people have contributed information and it is not always correct despite the best eforts of everyone involved. Information I contributed a long time ago I have often had to send in corrections in light of new findings.

Re the Alexander Gunn ex Langwell plus the son and grandson - that information came from two separate articles in the Northern Ensign - one of which I have and the other I only have a reference to, but I think it would be fair to say unless one finds reliable evidence eg the birth records of these men then it is probably 'hearsay'.

If you send me a PM I will send you a copy of the one newspaper article I have and a bit of information about the other.

Re the Gunns you will be aware I am sure that there were many hundreds of Gunns in the Latheron Parish over the centuries and the given names are often family names, making documentation difficult. On the other hand there are quite a few websites plus the Gunn Museum in Caithness that have good data.

Regards

Christina Baldwin
New Zealand