PDA

View Full Version : Rip off Shearers Diy

bridgeend
18-Nov-10, 17:29
Went to Shearers Diy in Wick and got a price for a standard door quoted £64.00.:(
Went to Caithness Building Supplies:D same door £45.00 same supplier as shearers have (XL Joinery)
Did notice a lot of the goods in Shearers a bit over priced.

Aussiewicker
18-Nov-10, 17:51
Maybe CBS are selling too cheaply?
Was CBS price subject to, or incl. VAT?

Horses for courses..... But then Shearers have been operating and servicing the local DIY market for years; Of course they must have been ripping us all off the whole time, just like all other local businesses..... ;)

Getting mighty tired of so many people on this forum downing the businesses that have supplied and supported the local economy for years and years.

Pity Tesco didn't do doors, eh?, then CBS would be ripping us off too....

bridgeend
18-Nov-10, 17:58
Maybe CBS are selling too cheaply?
Was CBS price subject to, or incl. VAT?

Horses for courses..... But then Shearers have been operating and servicing the local DIY market for years; Of course they must have been ripping us all off the whole time, just like all other local businesses..... ;)

Getting mighty tired of so many people on this forum downing the businesses that have supplied and supported the local economy for years and years.

Pity Tesco didn't do doors, eh?, then CBS would be ripping us off too....

Both prices incl Vat.
Shearers was a First Class shop when it was run by Jack and Alec when they had it you could also get wood/glass cut as they had a excellant on sit workshop

lindsaymcc
18-Nov-10, 18:05
I can see your point about people slating local businesses, however in the current climate, people are needing as cheap as possible! And as the original poster stated - we are talking the same door, from the same manufacturer but at a huge cost difference!

I slated a local company in Thurso today...... anyone who wants to rip off an old lady deserves to be slated in my opinion, and I for one, will never cross their door step again.

Walter Ego
18-Nov-10, 21:07
Went to Shearers Diy in Wick and got a price for a standard door quoted £64.00.:(
Went to Caithness Building Supplies:D same door £45.00 same supplier as shearers have (XL Joinery)

I agree, any business that charges more than its rivals should be branded a complete ripoff and trumpeted on websites.

What's your views on the ripoff fuel prices in Thurso?

bonami
18-Nov-10, 21:32
Have always found Shearers prices very reasonable and sometimes a fair bit cheaper than Homebase on a lot of products. Also the staff are very helpful if something is not in stock they try their best to get it for you.

Stack Rock
18-Nov-10, 21:49
This has nothing to do with joinery part prices but continues the cost theme.
My son's car was repaired by a main dealer in Thurso recently and he paid upon collection. No labour hours were detailed on the bill which appeared to be high so I enquired - labour was 5 hours @ £55 per hour + vat. (good reason for not disclosing this on the bill) so they maintain the cost was in order. Another garage in Wick previously replaced this part for us in about 2 hours for a lot less per hour. I'm going to check with the manufacturers for the recommended time this work should take.
Before someone asks why we didnt go back to the first garage - the main dealer has all the necessary diagnostic equipment.

Aussiewicker
18-Nov-10, 22:05
Costly petrol & diesel; Useless garages; Rip-off local businesses: How dare they try to service the locals AND make a living for themselves and their staff..... shocking!

Longing for the day when there's no local shops at all: That'll teach them.....

sids
18-Nov-10, 22:24
Someone explain to me how quoting a a price for a door is a "rip off."

If it's too dear don't buy it.

chiel
18-Nov-10, 22:26
This has nothing to do with joinery part prices but continues the cost theme.
My son's car was repaired by a main dealer in Thurso recently and he paid upon collection. No labour hours were detailed on the bill which appeared to be high so I enquired - labour was 5 hours @ £55 per hour + vat. (good reason for not disclosing this on the bill) so they maintain the cost was in order. Another garage in Wick previously replaced this part for us in about 2 hours for a lot less per hour. I'm going to check with the manufacturers for the recommended time this work should take.
Before someone asks why we didnt go back to the first garage - the main dealer has all the necessary diagnostic equipment.

im curious,one garage charged not alot but didnt fix it?the other charged more but fixed it?is this right,surely the problem is with the first garage is it not?

DIM1
18-Nov-10, 23:01
What does a "standard door" look like.:confused

I believe only sad people know the price of everything, but the value of nothing.

Phill
18-Nov-10, 23:21
same supplier as shearers have (XL Joinery)

Do you know XL Joinery's trading terms?
Could they have different pricing structures for different clients dependent on volume?

Common theme in wholesale is the % off list price can vary (pro rata) with the volume of purchases.

Stack Rock
18-Nov-10, 23:56
im curious,one garage charged not alot but didnt fix it?the other charged more but fixed it?is this right,surely the problem is with the first garage is it not?

This concerns a second hand part which we obtained on line and we got the first garage to fit. This part was found to be faulty and we then got the main dealer to order and install a new part.
Needless to say we're pursuing the supplier of the second-hand part for redress but thats a another story.

bluechesse
19-Nov-10, 02:30

Noticed a lot of the goods in Shearers were over priced compared to what? Did you happen to have a list on you with the prices charged by other retailers of a "lot" of the things that Shearers stock? Or did you just invent this bit?

Nacho
19-Nov-10, 02:48
when it comes to comparative pricing, Bridgeend would be the last person i'd listen to.

Walter Ego
19-Nov-10, 08:27
when it comes to comparative pricing, Bridgeend would be the last person i'd listen to.

My point exactly.

'Bridgend'.......ripoff.

orkneycadian
19-Nov-10, 14:20
I can see your point about people slating local businesses, however in the current climate, people are needing as cheap as possible!

Aye, and don't forget that the business are seeing times probably harder than you do! If you are a bit tight for cash this week, you can skip going out on Saturday night, going to the pictures, buying steak for tea or whatever. The business doesn't have the opportunity to skip paying the staff this week, or the rates this month or whatever....

Its up to the business in question to pitch their price at a level that they think they will be able to sell the goods, and still make a profit after paying all the overheads. Inevitably, that will lead to a range of prices. Its not necessarily the case that the expensive price is a "rip off", but that the cheaper price is too low. If the vendor at the lower price has got it wrong and makes no money and goes out of business as a result, its hardly good business either!

If the "rip off theory" is correct, then any supermarket is also guilty. If they can afford BOGOF, then that is an immediate admission that their BOGNF (buy one get none free) before and after BOGOF is also a rip off, with a greater margin of rip off than mentioned on the door above!

Theres plenty example of businesses going under because they are not making enough money in this climate, so they find it as hard, if not harder than the consumer. And before you say they would make more money if they dropped their prices and sold more door, there is only a finite number of doors you can sell in Caithness! ;)