PDA

View Full Version : Gas Heating

tartanyorkie
17-Nov-10, 15:51
I know this has been asked before but I cannot find the thread anywhere. We have just moved into a house with gas heating and do not know how much it is going to cost. It is years since I had gas so have no idea. I remember someone saying they paid about £60 a month but they did not say how often the heating was on for that amount. I am putting £15 a week away but do not know if that is enough. At the moment the heating is on morning and night for a couple of hours but soon it is going to be needed during the day. I am not sure which will be cheaper, putting the electric fire on for a while and just heating the living room or putting the gas heating on and heating the whole house. I am sure it will be cheaper than paying £33 a week for coal though, and cleaner and easier.

lindsaymcc
17-Nov-10, 15:58
I have GCH and currently the heating is on from 6am-8pm and then temp controlled by the thermostat. We pay by pre-pay meter and put on £10-15 a week.

Electric on the other hand.... we are home almost all day, TV/Computer on, lights on by 3pm and bathroom light left on all night for the little ones, and we use £15 a week comfortably!

I would guess the £15 you are putting away will be more than sufficient. In the summer months, we were lucky if we were using £4 a week for the hot water!

tartanyorkie
17-Nov-10, 16:17
Thank you. If your heating is on all day, 6am to 8pm what temperature is that on? We are changing to prepay but will have to pay for what we are using until then.

lindsaymcc
17-Nov-10, 16:21
We have it mostly around 17 degrees, but pop it up to 20 probably 2 or 3 times a day for 20mins or so just to heat the main rooms through.

We also save by only having the radiators in the rooms we are using, so upstairs radiators only get turned on at tea time, and get turned off again at breakfast time!

ShelleyCowie
17-Nov-10, 16:26
I pay £36 a month direct debit. In the summer my heating is never on so i build up alot of credit which is used in the winter. We have the heating set to come on for an hour in the moring before we get up. Then have the gas fire on for about 20 minutes.

Heating goes on about 4 times a day just now for an hour each time which heats the whole house and the hot water tank stays heated.

My hubby is a big woose tho and hates the cold! :lol:

tartanyorkie
18-Nov-10, 14:05
Thank you for all the advice, I am very grateful. I never thought of turning radiators off. I think I have an idea now of what it is going to cost now.

poppett
18-Nov-10, 14:14
It also depends on the construction of the property, how well insulated it is and how draughty.

Our former family home was a wooden house in Pennyland and in the winter cost in excess of £100 a month for gas central heating. The house was on a corner and the wind whistled in from the back door causing the carpets to rise.

Now in a ground floor, four in a block traditional construction brick and cavity wall insulation. Only cold zone is by the front door because the hall is very long and the radiator struggles to cope and is under the control thermostat (bad planning). I used to have the heating come on before we got up in the morning, but felt the heat being drawn out of the bedroom window which is open at night in all weathers, so just click heating on when I get up. The only time the gas fire is on is for its annual check. Put £40 to gas and £35 to electric each month by direct debit and have a dual fuel discount with Scottish Hydro Electric. Have just had £100 refunded from both accounts, still leaving a good credit towards the winter bills.

Fran
19-Nov-10, 01:24
I hAve gas cooker, gas fire, gas central heating and water, all gas and my quarterly bill is never over £100, usually £90to £100. Great

teddybear1873
19-Nov-10, 01:41
I hAve gas cooker, gas fire, gas central heating and water, all gas and my quarterly bill is never over £100, usually £90to £100. Great

Makes me want to cringe with the prices there Fran. My monthly bill for electric alone is $420 per month in the summer and about $240 in the winter. I can't wait to move back Scotland, It's such a rip of here.