PDA

View Full Version : The Results are IN!

rockchick
08-Aug-06, 10:21
Did you (or your kid) get your results in the post this morning? How did you do?

I'm still waiting for my son to open the envelope...

squidge
08-Aug-06, 10:31
My boy did good

2 grade 4s
3 grade 3s
3 grade 2s

He is very pleased and i am very happy:)

golach
08-Aug-06, 10:54
My Grandaughter got
4 grade 2s
4 grade 3s
I am so proud of her

Rheghead
08-Aug-06, 11:09
This might sound daft of me being married to a teacher an'all, but is 1 better than 5 or what?

squidge
08-Aug-06, 11:14
its not daft it took me ages to figure it out

Grade 1 and 2 is a credit level standard grade
Grade 3 and 4 is a general level standard grade
grade 5 and 6 is a foundation level standard grade

Thats how i think it is but i will wait ot be illuminated

cuddlepop
08-Aug-06, 11:41
Postie pulled up outside and i've got to wait till 6 o'colck before my daughter finishes work for her to open it.
Then it'll be a two week mad panic to get everything organised for the halls at Langside:confused .

Elenna
08-Aug-06, 11:43
We are still waiting for the post to arrive. I think poor Crystal has chewed her fingenails right off....

Rheghead
08-Aug-06, 11:58
its not daft it took me ages to figure it out

Grade 1 and 2 is a credit level standard grade
Grade 3 and 4 is a general level standard grade
grade 5 and 6 is a foundation level standard grade

Thats how i think it is but i will wait ot be illuminated

It sounds very suitably vague to me, thanks for the explanation but it still took me a couple minutes of reading to find out which is the better grade.

I would have preferred...

Grade 1 and 2 is "employ this kid now" grade.
Grade 3 and 4 is "ach weel you'll dae" grade.
grade 5 and 6 is "No way hosee" grade.

:Razz

RockChick84
08-Aug-06, 12:23
My cousin got 8 Grade 3's is that good?

sweetpea
08-Aug-06, 12:38
It sounds very suitably vague to me, thanks for the explanation but it still took me a couple minutes of reading to find out which is the better grade.

I would have preferred...

Grade 1 and 2 is "employ this kid now" grade.
Grade 3 and 4 is "ach weel you'll dae" grade.
grade 5 and 6 is "No way hosee" grade.

:Razz

I think your right. Having worked with young people looking for jobs and training not the ones going to Uni I know that most employers don't understand the grades and what they mean either especially Intermediate level which is between S grades and Highers.

mccaugm
08-Aug-06, 13:17
[evil] My son is on holiday until Sunday so we all have to wait until then. Its driving me crazy. He has banned me from opening the envelope.....grrr

squidge
08-Aug-06, 13:47
Two words

kettle steam

[lol]

mccaugm
08-Aug-06, 16:40
Two words

kettle steam

[lol]

Has been considered - hubby wants to and I could not take the guilt.[evil]

DrSzin
08-Aug-06, 17:50
I think your right. Having worked with young people looking for jobs and training not the ones going to Uni I know that most employers don't understand the grades and what they mean either especially Intermediate level which is between S grades and Highers.Do all Caithness high-school kids follow the standard route to Highers, namely take their Standard Grade exams in S4, and then do Highers in S5?

In Edinburgh, a fair number of schools have taken a new route in some subjects. They have abandoned Standard Grades in favour of having the kids take Intermediate 2's in S3, and then spend two years (S4 and S5) studying for their Highers - instead of the oft-criticised "two-term dash" in S5. I think this "new" route is for the more academically-inclined kids only, but I'm not sure.

I should add that many teachers think the new route is crazy! :lol:

I am also told that Intermediate 2 is not "between Standard Grades and Highers" (in some subjects at least), but that it's a "slightly easier" version of Credit (Grade 1 & 2) Standard Grade. I am also told that the level of I2 varies significantly from subject to subject.

Anyone who is completely confused at this point might wish to take a look at the SCQF diagram (http://www.scqfcolleges.org.uk/scqf_diagram.aspx?ID=26) of qualifications and their levels. The "official line" is that I2 are at the same level as Credit Standard Level (Grades 1 & 2), and I1 are at the same level as General Standard Level (Grades 3 & 4).

Things have changed a lot since the Olden Days when O Grades weren't (publicly) banded...

zebedy
08-Aug-06, 19:34
i got my A in intermediat 2 Music!

woo hoo lawl!

cuddlepop
08-Aug-06, 20:14
There.s tears on Skye both our girls never got the grades they were expecting.
A hug seems so little to offer when they have to wait another year to do the course they want.:~(

brandy
09-Aug-06, 08:18
ok now im completly confused! *laughs* i want my american grades.. of abcdf
and grade point average of 4.0
so simple..
A top marks
b above average
c average
d below average
f fail
and on exams.. all things are added up.. and the highest score for all accumulated is a 4.0
and on rare occasions you can go a wee bit higher ie 4.2 if you do major extra credit and have perfect everything..
then you get choice of university anywhere.
also all subjects individually are added up with grade point again highest being 4.0

brandy
09-Aug-06, 08:21
oh just one more little rant.. *G* why do they make them wait all summer for their results?
seems a bit cruel dosent it?
we always knew at the end of the year our final grades.. and wheter we passed or not..
i have to admit i am not looking foward to the days my boys are at school..
*smiles* i wont even be able to help with spelling !*winks*
funny how education can be so dif.