PDA

View Full Version : Mr.Akhtar's dole money !!

Corrie 3
15-Nov-10, 20:07
I think we should have a whip round for poor old Mr.Akhtar. Apparently his £52 a week dole money wont be able to take him to Saudi for the annual Hajj pilgrimage.
I wanted to go on a round the world cruise next year and I have found out that I cant afford it on my Pension so I know exactly how he feels.

I blame the LibDems!!!

C3.... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11749511

Ricco
15-Nov-10, 20:28
I wanted to go back to Canada for a visit. Now, this would be a pilgrimage since I was born there and uprooted as a child. However, I can't afford it so I don't give a monkeys about Mr Ahktar.

tonkatojo
15-Nov-10, 20:33
Can he not get one of those "sharia loans" the interest free Muslim only loans, the spelling is probably incorrect.

brandy
15-Nov-10, 20:43
if there handing out money.. can i get some to go visit my family in the states? theres a major religious holiday in my faith coming up in about 6 weeks that i would love to go home for *G*

tonkatojo
15-Nov-10, 20:48
if there handing out money.. can i get some to go visit my family in the states? theres a major religious holiday in my faith coming up in about 6 weeks that i would love to go home for *G*

Contact a mosque for info Brandy you might be lucky and qualify for a loan, I think they will put you in touch with a "sharia bank".

orkneycadian
15-Nov-10, 20:52
Maybe he could afford to go on the annual pilgrimage more regularly if he lived a little closer to the venue?

Corrie 3
15-Nov-10, 21:08
I doubt he would be able to have a wet weekend in Blackpool on £52 a week dole money.
If he changed religion to the JW's it would solve his problem, they would come to him.... (oop's, wrong thread, sorry ) !!

C3....;)

squidge
15-Nov-10, 21:41
Do you know I wonder sometimes... The article is not about mr Akhtar complaining that his benefits are not enough to pay for a trip to Mecca. It's about the rising price of these trips. According to the article the trips have trebled in price and where they were once affordable even for people on a low income .... And yes, maybe they had to borrow the money... But they could manage, they now can't and that is despite the Saudi government promising to keep the prices affordable.

Mr akhtar says he is sad, but he doesn't say it should be paid for him. Does he?

changilass
15-Nov-10, 21:46
Squidge, I have to admit to not reading it, headline screamed poppycock, but a trip to Singapore would be nice if there are any going cheap.

Nacho
15-Nov-10, 21:51
Squidge, I have to admit to not reading it, headline screamed poppycock, but a trip to Singapore would be nice if there are any going cheap.

how can you say the headline screamed poppycock without actually reading the article ? :confused

it was an interesting story, read it and get back to us

Logical
15-Nov-10, 23:31
Can he not get one of those "sharia loans" the interest free Muslim only loans, the spelling is probably incorrect.

Can they do that?

Is there any kind of special loan for a tall bald white atheist? Or would that be racist?

Serenity
16-Nov-10, 00:35
Do you know I wonder sometimes... The article is not about mr Akhtar complaining that his benefits are not enough to pay for a trip to Mecca. It's about the rising price of these trips. According to the article the trips have trebled in price and where they were once affordable even for people on a low income .... And yes, maybe they had to borrow the money... But they could manage, they now can't and that is despite the Saudi government promising to keep the prices affordable.

Mr akhtar says he is sad, but he doesn't say it should be paid for him. Does he?

The voice of reason. Thank you.

sweetpea
16-Nov-10, 00:41

My sentiments too, this has nothing to do with him on benefits. I wonder how much a trip to Loudes is?

Serenity
16-Nov-10, 00:42
Can they do that?

Is there any kind of special loan for a tall bald white atheist? Or would that be racist?

If you actually look into it, people using Sharia law banking still do pay extra on top for any "loans". Just not interest in the normal way. If it was such a good deal you would bet everyone would be all over this type of banking.

http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/About/Media/notes/bn016.shtml

George Brims
18-Nov-10, 20:50
Can they do that?
The Quran says charging interest is wrong (the sin of usury). So these loans don't charge interest. However they do charge a fee at time of origination, which (who would have guessed) means the loan costs about the same to pay back as if interest had been charged. Just another example of calling something by a different name to make it conform to a religious precept.

Alice in Blunderland
19-Nov-10, 12:51
I agree with squidge and others on this one. The complaint was about the rising costs of going on the pilgrimage and how as someone on unemployment benefit it was way beyond his means, he was not asking for a whip round.

I have also seen stories about the rising costs of holidaying in the school holidays and the poor parents who cannot afford to go then as it has now become too dear, they also were not asking for a whip round.

Two similar points being made about people being ripped off......two different reactions. :~(

Corrie 3
19-Nov-10, 13:48
My point on this seems to have been taken wrongly, the whip round part was a joke.
My point was that how can he expect to go anywhere on £52 per week? ...never mind to Saudi?

It was a pointless story in my opinion as anyone who has to live on that amount will agree, you coudnt expect to afford a day trip to Brighton on that money. If the story was just about rising prices (and we all know about those already) why did he have to mention that he was on the dole and on £52 per week.
Even if air fares and hotels bills only came to say £200 could he still afford to go? If he could I want to know how he manages it and I would certainly want a copy of his weekly bugdet because I dont think I could save anything on that amount!!
I hope the Guy makes it but I fear he will have to get a job first or go and rob a bank.
And...........I dont think the thread was worth a neg rep Ju....;)

C3.....:roll:

Better Out Than In
19-Nov-10, 13:50
The reason why the costs keep rising is due to the exponential expansion of the world's population consuming the planet's finite resources. If you all cycled, were vegitarian, grew your own food, used recycled houses heated by wood and had no kids or pets then poor Mr Akhtar would be able to afford his pilgimmage. Shame on you all. Perhaps we should start a new thread - oops.

Logical
19-Nov-10, 14:24
If you all cycled, were vegitarian, grew your own food, used recycled houses heated by wood and had no kids or pets then poor Mr Akhtar would be able to afford his pilgimmage. Shame on you all. Perhaps we should start a new thread - oops.

If only we had a perfect model who did all of the above and who had a utopian ideology that wished for all newborns to be neutered.....

EDIT: oh wait....

orkneycadian
19-Nov-10, 14:28
The complaint was about the rising costs of going on the pilgrimage and how as someone on unemployment benefit it was way beyond his means, he was not asking for a whip round.

Two similar points being made about people being ripped off......two different reactions. :~(

:confused My suggestion was merely that if he lived a bit closer to where he needs to regularly pilgrimage to, his travel costs would be a bit lower...

Logical
19-Nov-10, 14:44
:confused My suggestion was merely that if he lived a bit closer to where he needs to regularly pilgrimage to, his travel costs would be a bit lower...

For clarity, he was saying something like: "Coming over here taking our dole money, if hes going to complain about the cost of going on his pilgrimage the he may as well move there and support himself."

You think that about covers any doubt?