PDA

View Full Version : Wick Community Woodland Project

neilsermk1
14-Nov-10, 21:40
Hi All,
I read last week in one of the local papers that the community woodland project was to restart in Wick. The new project is starting to replace the project at Harrow hill which was closed to the public following the discovery of asbestos.
Does anyone know who the contacts for this project are, or can you point me at the correct department.

Thanks in anticipation

neilser:)

Bill Fernie
15-Nov-10, 00:13
I have sent you a pm with contact details.

Bill Fernie

ducati
15-Nov-10, 01:18
I came across this a wee while ago and saw the "keep out contaminated site" posters. It looks a very nice piece of woodland, a shame it couldn't be decontaminated.

What is the problem? Has there been a dumping incident or has asbestos been found in buildings on the site?

Bill Fernie
15-Nov-10, 09:13
The problem relates to the fact that the woodland was put there after the town dump was closed and covered over with this layers of soil.

Apparently in the past and possibly before regulations some nasty stuff was dumped and is now finding its way to the surface.

The woodland was coming along nicely after huge efforts by volunteers and rangers etc when it was discovered following tests that in certain places their was contamination by various things but particularly asbestos.

Hopefully a new woodland next door will come into being under the control of the Forestry Commission.

ducati
15-Nov-10, 10:28
Great, if they can do half as well as the Dunnet Forest Trust it will be a an amenity to be proud of :D

weeksider
15-Nov-10, 13:27
Think it is the Newton Hill Woodland project not the Harrow Hill project as mentioned earlier

Good luck to all with the new project

neilsermk1
15-Nov-10, 20:13
I have sent you a pm with contact details.

Bill Fernie
Thanks Bill