PDA

View Full Version : Jehovah Witnesses

jac1791
14-Nov-10, 18:58
Why do Jehovah Witnesses have to come round our doors preaching god to us and especially at dinner time --- dont they have family that need to be fed???
I could never be rude to them and tell them to go away but if we want to find God then surely that is each individuals personal choice -- and their choice to go to church or not ---- you dont see - (or if you do i have never seen )-- worshipers from say PultneyTown Parish or any other local church go around doors preaching the word of god!!!!

OKAY RANT OVER WITH NOW!!!!!

Wee Monkee
14-Nov-10, 19:15
Ok their choice of time is questionable however my understanding of Jehovah Witnesses is that they are told under a "biblical command" that they are to engage in public preaching - i.e going door to door.

Jac, I'm sure they appreciated that you "could never be rude to them" because I can't imagine some of the receptions they get from the unkinder folks...

Corrie 3
14-Nov-10, 19:23
Jac, I'm sure they appreciated that you "could never be rude to them" because I can't imagine some of the receptions they get from the unkinder folks...
I always tell them politely...."Go forth and multiply"...(or something very close to that).
I cant stand them at all and they have a nerve to come knocking on doors and telling you how to run your life.
Wierdo's the lot of them and I am sorry but I cant be civil to them at all!!
If I had my way they would all be rounded up and shipped out to Portgower for a blood transfusion.

C3....[evil][evil]

unicorn
14-Nov-10, 19:25
All doorstep callers either sales people or religious get the same answer here, I open the door let them start and say not interested and close the door.
I do give to collectors etc though.

David Banks
14-Nov-10, 19:49
All doorstep callers either sales people or religious get the same answer here, I open the door let them start and say not interested and close the door.
I do give to collectors etc though.

I get more mormons than JW's here. Just a few evenings ago, two very cold fellas with big name tags came to the door - I was carrying a dish towel at the time - they must have been elders from Salt Lake City.

I tried my usual dismissal of classifying myself as an old cynic, but they did not leave until they had left me a card showing that they had the answers to all of life's mysteries and giving their website and 1-800 free telephone number.

My family teased the b'jeyzus out of me after they got home.

I'm torn between annoyance and almost admiration for their misplaced enthusiasm. My tolerance did not go so far as invite them in so they would not freeze their butts off.

I think the mormons must have a similar holy book admonition to spread the stuff around a bit.

orkneycadian
14-Nov-10, 20:14
When you see them on the doorstep, simply rub your hands in glee and start stripping your clothes off (this ploy may work better for strapping males rather than attractive females....) Make a big play of using your belt to whip your other hand with.... Wont see them for stoor!

Kevin Milkins
14-Nov-10, 20:48
Religion has a habit of erupting into arguments on the org ,(the same as politics) and I'm sure this thread will be no exception.

Apart from they do what the bible tells them to do, as Wee Monkey said, "go out and spread the word", I don't see any difference in the JW's being committed to what they believe in, as apposed to any other religion, except they appear to be much more committed to there beliefs.

I am not fond of being preached to by anyone, however, I derive no particular pleasure being rude to people either. When I lived in the Midlands a car load would call at our village on a Sunday tea time and I admit I found it difficult to shift them from the door by being polite.

I offered them in and asked them to sit quiet while I watched rugby special and then I would give them all the time they wanted, oddly enough, they never called again and on one occasion when I was in the garden, I got the impression they were trying to avoid me.

I have been given to understand that they are not offended when you slam the door on them, because they have done what the believe the bible has asked them to do, go out and preach.

changilass
14-Nov-10, 20:53
I just say no thank you and close the door to anyone that comes, including charity.

As far as I am concerned I will decide what to believe and also who to give to.

When I want to follow a religion or give to a charity I will go seek them out, they do not need to come to me.

Leanne
14-Nov-10, 21:09
As annoying as it is - you have to hand it to them. They are dedicated to their religion - they are out in all weathers, they get people being rude to them and sometimes downright horrible but they still go forth and preach the word of god as their religion instructs. If only more people were as dedicated to their religion and leaned that bit of humility.

changilass
14-Nov-10, 21:14
How is going uninvited to peoples houses, telling them how or what to believe, humility?

Walter Ego
14-Nov-10, 21:25
Knock, knock.

Who's there?

It's us Jehoveys Witnesses, we'd like to speak to you about a couple of things.

Uh, no thanks.

But you may find what we have to say interesting?

Nah, thanks for calling, but I really must insist on following my own chosen path - and I don't really like discussing my beliefs with strangers. Nothing personal but goodbye.

(Close door)...

Now, just how hard is that?

changilass
14-Nov-10, 21:27
Oooohhh maybe folks don't like being disturbed, lets not bother ...

Easier lol

Walter Ego
14-Nov-10, 21:33
Oooohhh maybe folks don't like being disturbed, lets not bother ...

Easier lol

So, Changi, do you switch on the telly to watch adverts or programmes?

Personally, I detest adverts. But it comes with the deal.
A bit like front doors - occasionally someone will come aknocking that you wish wouldn't. You can either deal with them politely or yell and bawl at all and sundry.

I know what I do, and my front door answering is stress and confrontaton free.........;)

changilass
14-Nov-10, 21:35
I watch telly on sky plus so only watch ads if friends or family point them out to me, other than that they don't get air play.

Not a good example....... sorry.

Scarybiscuits03
14-Nov-10, 21:46
I just dont answer the door to anyone that looks remotely like they have something to sell.
If its something important they'd come back.....religion doesnt come into that category in my book![lol]

Moira
14-Nov-10, 21:52
Knock, knock.
Who's there?
It's us Jehoveys Witnesses, we'd like to speak to you about a couple of things.
<snip>
Now, just how hard is that?

Spot on Walter. No need for ranting. Just basic good manners, answering the door with "Thanks, but no thanks..." has always worked for me. :)

shazzap
14-Nov-10, 22:41
I used to go to the door and say. Not interested, and shut the door, to anyone trying to sell me anything. That also includes religion.

Now i don't even answer the door, if i don't know the person there when i look from the window. or i know a trades person or some one else is due to call, via prior arrangement.

sids
14-Nov-10, 22:46
No need to be rude.

Pour a bucket of bleach over their heads.

Logical
14-Nov-10, 22:53
Jehovah's witnesses arnt going round to convert you to there ways. They just want to share a hope from the bible that you would otherwise probably never have known was there.

As well as the fact it is written in the bible to preach to others, they seem to have it spot on.

If I had my way they would all be rounded up and shipped out to Portgower for a blood transfusion.
C3....[evil][evil]

I'm sorry but that quote just lost all my respect for you. That is such a prejudice and disgusting thing to say!

ducati
14-Nov-10, 23:09
How is going uninvited to peoples houses, telling them how or what to believe, humility?

Oh there were so many, sorry to pick on you Changi.

I have but one word-Missionaries :eek:

shazzap
14-Nov-10, 23:10
I always tell them politely...."Go forth and multiply"...(or something very close to that).
I cant stand them at all and they have a nerve to come knocking on doors and telling you how to run your life.

C3....[evil][evil]

I can't stand anyone preaching to me C3, and to some extent i agree with some of the things you say. Think what you like, we all have the right to that. But, although it is said we have the freedom of speech. We do not.

Jehovah's witnesses arnt going round to convert you to there ways. They just want to share a hope from the bible that you would otherwise probably never have known was there.

As well as the fact it is written in the bible to preach to others, they seem to have it spot on.

I'm sorry but that quote just lost all my respect for you. That is such a prejudice and disgusting thing to say!

Whether they are going around to convert you or not. I still do not think they should be knocking door to door. Not everyone believes in the bible and it's writings. I for one, am one of those, that do not.

changilass
14-Nov-10, 23:11
Now now Ducati, just cos you know my mother went over to the dark side to teach the Lankys not to eat their young.

ducati
14-Nov-10, 23:13
Now now Ducati, just cos you know my mother went over to the dark side to teach the Lankys not to eat their young.

[lol][lol][lol]

Saveman
14-Nov-10, 23:23

C3....[evil][evil]

I wonder if this post was about Muslims would the thread still be open?

I'm sorry you feel this way about us. (I'm one of Jehovah's Witnesses, for those who don't already know.) If your really not interested in having a chat with us then just let us know and we'll leave.

sweetpea
14-Nov-10, 23:26

You're quite right. The JW are perfectly amiable lunatics.

orkneycadian
14-Nov-10, 23:30
I'm sorry you feel this way about us. (I'm one of Jehovah's Witnesses, for those who don't already know.) If your really not interested in having a chat with us then just let us know and we'll leave.

The problem is, the worlds experience is that this is not always the case....

Jehovah's Witnesses have a lot to answer for their "hard sell" reputation based upon their actions.

Kodiak
14-Nov-10, 23:30
If your really not interested in having a chat with us then just let us know and we'll leave.

You are just not getting the point. We should not have to tell you we are not interested and ask you to leave. You should Not be knocking on our doors in the first place.

Saveman
14-Nov-10, 23:35

Jehovah's Witnesses have a lot to answer for their "hard sell" reputation based upon their actions.

I suppose sometimes we like to tell someone why we've called. We don't always get that chance. :)
I wouldn't say it's "hard sell", we're not selling anything. But we do feel we have an important message to share, however if the person makes it clear that they really aren't interested we'll leave.

shazzap
14-Nov-10, 23:36
You are just not getting the point. We should not have to tell you we are not interested and ask you to leave. You should Not be knocking on our doors in the first place.

Here here. Kodiak.

orkneycadian
14-Nov-10, 23:37
however if the person makes it clear that they really aren't interested we'll leave.

Why then have Jehovah's Witnesses got the reputation for being as hard to shift from a doorstep as they are?

Saveman
14-Nov-10, 23:39

There is quite a number of people in Caithness who would disagree with you. There are many who enjoy our visits and enjoy having a Bible discussion. There are many who don't. We like to give people that choice.

Saveman
14-Nov-10, 23:42
Why then have Jehovah's Witnesses got the reputation for being as hard to shift from a doorstep as they are?

Unfortunately minority groups often get unwarranted reputations. I'm not saying that there haven't been instances of that but more the exception rather than the rule. :)

orkneycadian
14-Nov-10, 23:44
If that is the case Saveman, then I commend your approach to something you obviously feel strongly about. If only the others were so professional!

Kodiak
14-Nov-10, 23:50
There is quite a number of people in Caithness who would disagree with you. There are many who enjoy our visits and enjoy having a Bible discussion. There are many who don't. We like to give people that choice.

I still say you should not be knocking on doors cold calling. That is what you are doing cold calling. Since you are Cold Calling you should not be surprised when you receive a Cold Reception.

Moira
14-Nov-10, 23:51

Not in my experience but perhaps the Orcadian Jehovah's Witnesses are different.

Saveman
14-Nov-10, 23:53
I still say you should not be knocking on doors cold calling. That is what you are doing cold calling. Since you are Cold Calling you should not be surprised when you receive a Cold Reception.

We're not surprised at all. Although in actually fact the large majority of people in Caithness are very friendly and are happy to have a wee natter! :)

sweetpea
14-Nov-10, 23:54
I suppose sometimes we like to tell someone why we've called. We don't always get that chance. :)
I wouldn't say it's "hard sell", we're not selling anything. But we do feel we have an important message to share, however if the person makes it clear that they really aren't interested we'll leave.

Interesting, isn't it, that no-one on the thread wants a visit from you "important messengers?"

How about you just take the hint?

orkneycadian
14-Nov-10, 23:54
Not too many of them up here, but was different when I was south....

If you type "how to get rid of a Jehovah's witness" into Google, it yields 24,200 results. Looks like the perception extends further than Orkney and Caithness, Saveman excepted! ;)

Kodiak
14-Nov-10, 23:59
We're not surprised at all. Although in actually fact the large majority of people in Caithness are very friendly and are happy to have a wee natter! :)

So you say, if true why are they all not jumping to your defence here.

Anyone?

I would be surprised if you get any support. Just admit it, no one wants you knocking on their door, I know I don't.

jac1791
15-Nov-10, 00:00
would we be so kind and try not to offend (as I do) if it was another religon?? I think there are a lot of religons over the world that we would feel very intimadated if not afraid if their preachers came knocking on our doors, i feel if we want religon in our life - and i have no problem with the many cultures that do then please allow us to come looking for that not come to our doors! when i was 14 i stupidly gave 2 JW's out side "woolies" my name & address, WELL they arrived every sunday afternoon at the door to talk to me -- each chat lasting well over 30 min until 1 day my dad told them i was not interested -- as a young girl i didnt like to do that, so each week i listened and agreed with every thing they said

Kodiak
15-Nov-10, 00:02
Not too many of them up here, but was different when I was south....

If you type "how to get rid of a Jehovah's witness" into Google, it yields 24,200 results. Looks like the perception extends further than Orkney and Caithness, Saveman excepted! ;)

I just did that and it came back with 24,500 results. The pages just keep on increasing, just shows you how popular they are, or not I should say.

squidge
15-Nov-10, 00:09
I always find that if i smile politely and say "no thank you" or "im not interested thank you" they just smile and leave. I have never ever ever had a problem with them refusing to leave.

My dear old MIL would happily invite them in and share a cuppa and chat with them despite the fact that she was not interested in converting - and she made that clear.

I also worked with a laddie that was a Jehovahs Witness many years ago. He worked mornings only so that he could go out in the afternoons and never once did he discuss his religion in work or try to convert any of us. I only knew that he was a Jehovas Witness cos i was able to offer him full time and he said no thank you and explained why.

I dont mind them knocking on my door as long as they remain
happy to accept what i say.

Saveman
15-Nov-10, 00:11

Anyone?

I would be surprised if you get any support. Just admit it, no one wants you knocking on their door, I know I don't.

Have I ever lied to you before? ;)

Whether I get support on the Org or not doesn't change the fact that there are some who are happy for us to call with them.

Kevin Milkins
15-Nov-10, 00:12

Anyone?

I would have no problem supporting what Saveman has said.

As I have already stated, I am not keen on sharing my religious views with anyone that comes to my door, or do i want to spend time listening to what they have to say, however, I have never met an unpleasant or offensive JW. I have met plenty of hypocrites that come under various other banners of religion that seem more socially excepted in our "civilised society".

As the man said, they are doing what there teachings ask them to do, go spread the word. If you point out that you do not wish to discuss your religious beliefs with them, they will go away and knock the next door.

Moira
15-Nov-10, 00:15

Glad to hear it Saveman. I don't share your beliefs but respect them. You & yours will never suffer rudeness on my doorstep. :D

jac1791
15-Nov-10, 00:18
I have never and would never be rude , I lived in Macrae st near a lovely couple who were JW and can honestly say in the 2 1/2 years as neighbours not once did either bring up religon in conversation.

Leanne

As I have already stated, I am not keen on sharing my religious views with anyone that comes to my door, or do i want to spend time listening to what they have to say, however, I have never met an unpleasant or offensive JW. I have met plenty of hypocrites that come under various other banners of religion that seem more socially excepted in our "civilised society".

As the man said, they are doing what there teachings ask them to do, go spread the word. If you point out that you do not wish to discuss your religious beliefs with them, they will go away and knock the next door.

Agreed. I find JW very unoffensive and I have respect for them for continuing to persue their faith when met with so much hostility. I mean, what is wrong with a few JW talking, there are a lot, far more offensive things done under the name of religion.

scorrie

If people want to have a chat they can get in touch with you. Tapping doors to spread the word is out of order as far as I am concerned. You are making assumptions that people have not already found, and are comfortable with, their own beliefs. It is also the case that many have rejected ALL religions, not through ignorance of them but simply because they find the whole concept to be ludicrous.

I have the good grace to deal with these types of callers politely, despite the fact that I believe their calling at my door is an invasion of my privacy and an insult to my own stance as a long term, and thoroughly considered atheist.

You should be looking at giving people the right to privacy, before any nonsense is talked about giving them a "choice" to reject something they have no interest in whatsoever.

Kodiak
15-Nov-10, 00:26
Have I ever lied to you before? ;)

Whether I get support on the Org or not doesn't change the fact that there are some who are happy for us to call with them.

Have you ever lied to me before. That is a silly question since you have never said anything to me before. If you think that by asking the question "Have I ever Lied to you Before" proves that you are not lying to me now is quite meaningless.

You still do not get it do you. You should not go around Cold Calling. If people want to have a chat with you then they can request a visit from you. But you should not go around uspetting people by making unwanted calls on their homes. You are causing the disturbance and it should be treated as such.

Saveman
15-Nov-10, 00:26
If people want to have a chat they can get in touch with you. Tapping doors to spread the word is out of order as far as I am concerned. You are making assumptions that people have not already found, and are comfortable with, their own beliefs. It is also the case that many have rejected ALL religions, not through ignorance of them but simply because they find the whole concept to be ludicrous.

I have the good grace to deal with these types of callers politely, despite the fact that I believe their calling at my door is an invasion of my privacy and an insult to my own stance as a long term, and thoroughly considered atheist.

You should be looking at giving people the right to privacy, before any nonsense is talked about giving them a "choice" to reject something they have no interest in whatsoever.

Sorry you feel that way Scorrie, we're really not interested in invading your privacy or insulting you, I can promise you that. We certainly appreciate politeness from someone who feels as strongly as you do, so thank you for that.

scorrie
15-Nov-10, 00:29

If Muslims came to your door to spread THEIR beliefs, would you be as happy Kevin? I suspect not, although I could be wrong. I would certainly be willing to bet that a large majority would be unhappy with that situation. What about cases where Jehovahs call at a Muslim home or Hindu etc? I would think that this would be offensive to some householders.

I believe in respecting peoples right to privacy ahead of peddling ANY belief.

Moira
15-Nov-10, 00:30
Why do Jehovah Witnesses have to come round our doors preaching god to us and especially at dinner time --- dont they have family that need to be fed???
I could never be rude to them and tell them to go away but if we want to find God then surely that is each individuals personal choice -- and their choice to go to church or not ---- you dont see - (or if you do i have never seen )-- worshipers from say PultneyTown Parish or any other local church go around doors preaching the word of god!!!!

I think your rant is worthless and I am not a Jehovah's witness.

shazzap
15-Nov-10, 00:31

I have to say that i whole heartedly agree with your views on this subject.

Saveman
15-Nov-10, 00:32
Have you ever lied to me before. That is a silly question since you have never said anything to me before. If you think that by asking the question "Have I ever Lied to you Before" proves that you are not lying to me now is quite meaningless.

er....hmmm....i was being light-hearted

You still do not get it do you. You should not go around Cold Calling. If people want to have a chat with you then they can request a visit from you. But you should not go around uspetting people by making unwanted calls on their homes. You are causing the disturbance and it should be treated as such.

Not everyone would agree with you but you're entitled to your opinion. :)

shazzap
15-Nov-10, 00:39
er....hmmm....i was being light-hearted

Not everyone would agree with you but you're entitled to your opinion. :)

So because not every one would agree about you knocking at doors being an intrusion. It makes it ok for you to knock at say my door,which i would class as being an intrusion. Not to mention the fact that i would have had to get up out of my chair, and get to the door with difficulty. Do you think about all the disabled people you disturb.

Phill
15-Nov-10, 00:40
Yeah, how dare someone come to your door and try and tell you about something. How very dare they!

Doors by there very design have two useful features: open & close. Additionally you can choose not to open them.

I think I've been stopped in the street by Mormons more often than JW's knocking on the door and even those I can count on one hand.
I had more of a problem of people knocking on my door demanding to change my energy supplier.

Anyway, what about the Gideons! What right have they to go invading my privacy by leaving books lying about in hotel rooms?
I'm traumatised everytime I go into a hotel.:eek:

shazzap
15-Nov-10, 00:48
Yeah, how dare someone come to your door and try and tell you about something. How very dare they!

Doors by there very design have two useful features: open & close. Additionally you can choose not to open them.

I think I've been stopped in the street by Mormons more often than JW's knocking on the door and even those I can count on one hand.
I had more of a problem of people knocking on my door demanding to change my energy supplier.

Anyway, what about the Gideons! What right have they to go invading my privacy by leaving books lying about in hotel rooms?
I'm traumatised every time I go into a hotel.:eek:

Yes and that is exactly what i do now. ( Not open the door ). I have over the years, got fed up of saying. No thank you. But since i have become disabled also find getting up and down to unwarranted callers even more of a chore.
If i want to follow any religion, i will approach them.
If i want to change my energy supply, i will contact the supplier.
The same goes for any other kind of cold caller.

Kodiak
15-Nov-10, 00:49

Just a question, whay have you not done this. You have been asked to go away and yest you keep on posting that you are correct and everyone esle is wrong.

So you will go away if asked to do so.

Right I am asking you to go away from this thread, I am not interested in having a chat with you so please leave.

Now I am not a betting man But I bet he will not leave as he said he would. I also believe he is exactly the same if and when he Knocks on your door and even if you ask him to leave he will be like columbo and say, Oh just one more thing !!

Please thake the hint??

Saveman
15-Nov-10, 00:50
So because not every one would agree about you knocking at doors being an intrusion. It makes it ok for you to knock at say my door,which i would class as being an intrusion. Not to mention the fact that i would have had to get up out of my chair, and get to the door with difficulty. Do you think about all the disabled people you disturb.

PM on it's way

changilass
15-Nov-10, 00:51
Big difference here though Kodiak, the door may be yours, but this thread aint, so its unfair of you to ask him to go away.

Saveman
15-Nov-10, 00:54
Just a question, whay have you not done this. You have been asked to go away and yest you keep on posting that you are correct and everyone esle is wrong.

Right I am asking you to go away from this thread, I am not interested in having a chat with you so please leave.

Now I am not a betting man But I bet he will not leave as he said he would. I also believe he is exactly the same if and when he Knocks on your door and even if you ask him to leave he will be like columbo and say, Oh just one more thing !!

Please thake the hint??

Okie dokie Kodiak. I will continue to discuss on PM if anyone wishes.

ducati
15-Nov-10, 00:57

Please thake the hint??

If this were a thread slagging off say, a garage or a shop, would tell them to go away if they replied? Seems a bit unfair to do so to a religion!

I am not a JW either :D

Kodiak
15-Nov-10, 01:01
It might not be my door but it is a window into my Living Room.

changilass
15-Nov-10, 01:03
A window that you chose to open, without having to get out of your seat.

Having said that, the best manners have won out on the day.

Kodiak
15-Nov-10, 01:03
If this were a thread slagging off say, a garage or a shop, would tell them to go away if they replied? Seems a bit unfair to do so to a religion!

I am not a JW either :D

I am only quoting him. He said he would go away if asked to do so. So I am testing to see if his word is any good or not, so I asked him to go away.

He has not so now you can make up your own mind. Simples.

Moira
15-Nov-10, 01:05

Please thake the hint??

How very rude,

Who appointed you spokesman ?

Not me, you don't even spell very well Kodiak.

Kodiak
15-Nov-10, 01:05
A window that you chose to open, without having to get out of your seat.

Having said that, the best manners have won out on the day.

A window that he knew lots of people whom he does not knw whould have open and one of them is mine. This in a sence is just like cold calling at doors.

shazzap
15-Nov-10, 01:06
PM on it's way

Received, and replied.

As i said, i find any cold caller an intrusion.
But as i am not religious/do not follow any persuasion.
I find any one who is knocking door to door, preaching to me about their faith, even more annoying. I just do not want to know.

Mystical Potato Head
15-Nov-10, 01:19
I am only quoting him. He said he would go away if asked to do so. So I am testing to see if his word is any good or not, so I asked him to go away.

He has not so now you can make up your own mind. Simples.

And you have the cheek to have me on your ignore list for being rude.Your nothing but a hypocrite.Who do you think you are asking someone to leave the thread.

Testing to see if his word is good my backside.I think we can make up our own mind all right.Your just trying to be as awkward as you can,pure and simples.

Kodiak
15-Nov-10, 01:20
How very rude,

Who appointed you spokesman ?

Not me, you don't even spell very well Kodiak.

No appointed me and I never said I was speaking for everyone, I said that " I am asking" not we are asking.

Yes my spelling does go off about this time of night, but that has nothing to do with this thread and more to my Medical condition, as at 11pm every Night I have to take 16 different types of Medication and I get woozy to say the least. Sometimes my disability make me grouchy as well, especially after I have been in bad pain all day.

So when I say I do not want him at my door I mean it. For me it is a real difficulty. I have to get out of my chair, which is not as easy as it sounds, I then have to get my two walking sticks and hobble to the door. Then when I do get it open and I find all it is someone wanting to try and convert me to their religeon. No wonder I am not pleased as I have not only been disturbed, lost track of the TV Programme I am watching, but have been made completely breathless and put in considerable Pain to boot.

These people who do cold calling do more harm than good sometimes, and I do not think I am the only one who thinks this either.

brandy
15-Nov-10, 02:16
if you do not want anyone at your door other than those invited a simple sign saying "no Soliciting" is all that is required.
for the record.. No i am not a Jehovah's Witness but I would like to think of myself as Christian.
I love God, but I do not follow blindly.
even when growing up in the bible belt and being taught God first, others second and self last.
which funnily enough i still agree with, i still questioned to my preachers many headaches!
All in all, any who come to my door in peace are welcomed.
I dont care what color, shape, or faith you are.
If you come calling in good faith you are welcome.
and all have a standing invitation.
I have had everybody and anyone in at one point or another.
if its bad weather in you come for a cuppa and a biscuit.
Ive had both mormans and Jehovah in.
Ive had every charity under the sun!
i think it must be my upbringing though... as my granny would never turn a soul away.
you never know when you may be the one knocking and in need of help kinda thing.
there is a passage in the bible that my granny always reminded us of.. and its
Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you
i have always taken this to be open-minded. those who are close-minded will never learn anything. their door is always shut and nothing new can never come in. it is a stagnant place to me. i always felt that you do not have to accept all knowledge that you acquire but its always a great thing to listen. you always learn more than you knew before and even if you do not use the information you are richer for the experience.
this philosophy is not just to do with religion but basically life in general.
if that makes sense!
oh and saveman you are always welcome here! ** laughs**
cant say ill ever be a JW but the door will be open!

fudge100
15-Nov-10, 02:52
Whether they are going around to convert you or not. I still do not think they should be knocking door to door. Not everyone believes in the bible and it's writings. I for one, am one of those, that do not.[/QUOTE]

For those who know the truth about the kingdom of heaven, they are filled with a desire to live their lives in union with christ jesus.In luke 9;1-6 jesus called the twelve disciples together then sent them out to preach the kingdom of god and to heal the sick,after saying to them,take nothing with you for the journey;no stick,no beggar's bag,no food,no money,not even an extra shrit.Wherever you are welcomed,stay in the same house until you leave that town;wherever people don't welcome you,leave that town and shake the dust off your feet as a warning to them.The disciples left and travelled through all the villages,preaching the good news and healing people everywhere.In my opinion by knocking on doors they are only following bible teachings.Unlike other false religions jehovah witnesses do not come begging at doors asking for donations as some people may think.Jesus himself charged nothing for spreading the word of the kingdom and told his disciples to do the same.To set the record straight they donot force religion on anyone, in fact it is quite the opposite,as true christians they fully respect the views and opinions of other human beings.I would not call myself a jehovah witness,however my wife and i have for the past year or so been doing bible study with them in our home.In my opinion good manners cost nothing, and whether you believe it or not they are goodhearted people with good intensions.

Kevin Milkins
15-Nov-10, 03:38
If Muslims came to your door to spread THEIR beliefs, would you be as happy Kevin? I suspect not, although I could be wrong. I would certainly be willing to bet that a large majority would be unhappy with that situation. What about cases where Jehovahs call at a Muslim home or Hindu etc? I would think that this would be offensive to some householders.

I believe in respecting peoples right to privacy ahead of peddling ANY belief.

I thought I made my point clear that I am never delighted with anyone knocking my door to discuss my religious beliefs and would no more wish to discuss them with a Muslim, Catholic, or Jehovah's Witness.

A large part of my working life I spent with a funeral director and it gave me plenty of opportunity to make up my own mind on what I think of life and the possible life after. I have had the privilege to work with almost all of the religious persuasions and from that experience I can say with some conviction that I admire the JW's above most for genuine conviction and sincerity, even if I don't agree with them.

As I suggested in my first post, this thread is bound to end in tears.

Aaldtimer
15-Nov-10, 04:21
I can have no respect for a sect who would allow a child to die for the want of a blood transfusion.[disgust]

northener
15-Nov-10, 07:57

Anyone?

Sorry Kodiak, I'm with Saveman on this one.

I've never had a problem with JW's on the doorstep (BTW, I'm a member of the Humanist Society of Scotland -so not exactly pro religion:Razz). I just keep it polite. There's no need to be offensive.
I also get bombarded with cold calls on the phone all the time - a polite "no thankyou" and hang up suffices. I'm sure there are those who get a kick out of shouting abuse at canvassers, but I'm not one of them.

Also, I've taught JW's to drive in the past (and currently), never had any probs with anyone trying to 'convert' me.

But it's always nice to have a Bogeyman, at least the JW's are giving the Muslims a day off at the moment.;)

_Ju_
15-Nov-10, 08:39

Please thake the hint??
The difference is that you own your front door (or own it in as much as you pay the rent for it). You do not own this forum and thus have no right to ask someone not to express their opinion. So any type of metaphor or simily you are trying to draw is mute.
As for the window to your living room: it is a one way window ( no one else can see in- therefor not an intrusion) in which you are an active participant (you powered up the pc, opened your window and choose to read). Nothing in these threads can intrude in your life because as you choose to read them and then discuss them, you are inviting yourself into the discussion and inviting the topic into your living room through the window(in a way you knocked on the door of this thread, and not vice versa). Just as once you have invited JW's or mormons into your living room they cannot be intruding. And their act of knocking on your door is a request for an invitation to discuss their religious beliefs ( which can be accepted or not).

People have become so isolated in their castles ( houses) that knocking on the door, popping in unanounced to friend or even hearing the mail drop causes a sense of unease. How sad is that? We don't even dare look in on the neighbours side for intruding on their privacy, even though they might be lonely and elderly and actually appreciate some contact.

jac1791
15-Nov-10, 09:43
SAVEMAN --- please dont go away, you are intitles as we all are to post your thoughts here..

I did not start this threat as an argument but for a discussion on how people feel.. and shows people are allowed free speach with so many replies. x

bekisman
15-Nov-10, 10:07
I wonder if this post was about Muslims would the thread still be open?

I fully agree with what Saveman says above - about twice a year we have a couple of lady JW's knocking on our door, out at Strathy.
Either Mrs Beks or I politely say we are not interested. They thank us and quietly walk away.
I am a life-long Atheist, but this gentle enquiry does not bother me one little bit..

Alice in Blunderland
15-Nov-10, 10:09
I respect SAVEMAN for trying to post the point of view from a Jehova Witness. I do not follow this religion however by engaging with those on this thread regarding his belief I admire him for it. :)

ducati
15-Nov-10, 10:23
(BTW, I'm a member of the Humanist Society of Scotland -so not exactly pro religion:Razz).

Organised non religion? :confused

I preach existentialism :eek:

Corrie 3
15-Nov-10, 10:40
Originally Posted by Corrie 3 http://forum.caithness.org/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?p=785670#post785670)
C3....[evil]

Dont worry Logical, I am sure I will get by without your respect. My quote was like the JW's........A joke!!!!!!

C3....[disgust]

golach
15-Nov-10, 10:56
I respect SAVEMAN for trying to post the point of view from a Jehova Witness. I do not follow this religion however by engaging with those on this thread regarding his belief I admire him for it. :)

Hear hear Alice, Savey has been a loyal Orger for years, I support him on this issue.

RecQuery
15-Nov-10, 11:12
My street in Wick hasn't been visited by Jehovah's Witnesses in years. I used to have them come to the door fairly regularly when I was at university. I'd be polite, say I was an atheist, that I wasn't interested etc. Take any literature they offered, skim it then bin it.

There no worse than other religions, I take particular issue with their views on higher education and medicine by lots of religions share them.

I've considered debating with them a few a times but can never be bothered, I usually have something to do. Though it occurs to me they might have better success with some people if they send young and attractive members to doors, I think the Mormons do this.

Perhaps a do-not-knock list, similar to the do-not-call list could be implemented, but I doubt it.

EDIT: Jehovah's Witnesses are a lot less annoying than someone trying to sell me a mobile phone.

achingale
15-Nov-10, 12:10
The whole evangelical thing, especially Jehovah's Witnesses, puts a lot of people off religion. We all know it is there and we can chose to take it up or chose to ignore it. We do not need it rammed down out throats by people knocking on our private doors stating that even if you do believe your kind of religion is wrong and that only their way is right.

Phill
15-Nov-10, 12:16
So when I say I do not want him at my door I mean it. For me it is a real difficulty. I have to get out of my chair, which is not as easy as it sounds, I then have to get my two walking sticks and hobble to the door. Then when I do get it open and I find all it is someone wanting to try and convert me to their religeon. No wonder I am not pleased as I have not only been disturbed, lost track of the TV Programme I am watching, but have been made completely breathless and put in considerable Pain to boot.

These people who do cold calling do more harm than good sometimes, and I do not think I am the only one who thinks this either.

Him or them? Unless you've got a particular problem in your neck of the woods with JW's I suspect your leveling all your anger of all cold callers at Saveman. And telling him to clear off from a public forum on which he's been nothing but polite, A tad unfair me thinks.
And all he did was make his point of view. It's not as if he turned up tambourine banging whilst singing 'come and join us'.

Have you investigated options on an intercom for your door? That way you can speak to any would be callers without having to get into any discomfort.

Logical
15-Nov-10, 12:18
The whole evangelical thing, especially Jehovah's Witnesses, puts a lot of people off religion. We all know it is there and we can chose to take it up or chose to ignore it. We do not need it rammed down out throats by people knocking on our private doors stating that even if you do believe your kind of religion is wrong and that only their way is right.

Agreed, we all prefer a religion we can just hobble of to church on a Sunday, sit through a 30 minute sermon, give a couple of quid to the church and in return all be promised the eternal life in heaven.

If only all religion was that easy....

Alice in Blunderland
15-Nov-10, 12:29
Hear hear Alice, Savey has been a loyal Orger for years, I support him on this issue.

I would say that by taking part in this debate he can help clear up any, if there are any, misconceptions on Jehovas Witnesses.He is entitled like any of us to defend his belief and to put his point across.By engaging people and giving polite responses I have developed even more respect for him on this thread. :)

Corrie 3
15-Nov-10, 13:22
I would say that by taking part in this debate he can help clear up any, if there are any, misconceptions on Jehovas Witnesses.He is entitled like any of us to defend his belief and to put his point across.By engaging people and giving polite responses I have developed even more respect for him on this thread. :)
Ask him for his views on blood transfusions and whether he would rather let a family member die rather than have one!....And then when he answers see if you still have respect for him and his Religion.

C3...:(

shazzap
15-Nov-10, 13:24
[quote=brandy;

you never know when you may be the one knocking and in need of help kinda thing.

[/quote]

Brandy some one knocking needing help. Is a different kettle of fish entirely, to some one cold calling.

I would never turn anyone away who was in distress, but do not want unsolicited callers.

Dadie
15-Nov-10, 13:51
I dont really like people cold calling at the door.
I dont really care if its religion they are selling or a new mobile tarriff or dusters and cloths!
I am polite and say thanks but no thanks, Im busy, excuse me!
Though I did make a mistake once....It was freezing cold and I felt sorry for the couple at my door and let them in....it was nearly 2 hrs later I got rid of them.

never again will I let talktalk sales people in.
Jehovahs go when you ask them to.

northener
15-Nov-10, 15:19
Organised non religion? :confused

In a way I suppose it is,....and I suppose this is one take on it;):

http://www.jesusandmo.net/2010/11/10/prove/

:Razz

PC3001
15-Nov-10, 16:23

Kodiak, if I asked you to leave this thread, would you? In fact, if I asked you to never post on the Org again simply because I don't agree with what you have to say, would you?
I'm sure there are many other Org members who agree with what you're saying and wouldn't want to see you leave... but I guess because I don't agree with what you are saying, you're going to have to leave. Yes?

I am not trying to be argumentative or confrontational, so please don't take it as such. I'm just making a point. If you want to stay on the Org, that's fine with me ;)

I'm just showing that we are all different. Every one of us. You cannot speak for the whole world, or for the whole of Caithness, you can't even speak for all the people in this thread on how they react, or should react, to Jehovah's Witnesses... (the same way I cannot speak for everyone else on the Org to whether you should leave or not ;)).

I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses.
You will obviously not want me in this thread, so this will be my first and last post on this topic.

Anfield
15-Nov-10, 18:54
".. So you will go away if asked to do so.

"Please thake the hint??

Who said there were no bullies on this forum?

Liz
15-Nov-10, 19:03
Kodiak, if I asked you to leave this thread, would you? In fact, if I asked you to never post on the Org again simply because I don't agree with what you have to say, would you?
I'm sure there are many other Org members who agree with what you're saying and wouldn't want to see you leave... but I guess because I don't agree with what you are saying, you're going to have to leave. Yes?

I am not trying to be argumentative or confrontational, so please don't take it as such. I'm just making a point. If you want to stay on the Org, that's fine with me ;)

I'm just showing that we are all different. Every one of us. You cannot speak for the whole world, or for the whole of Caithness, you can't even speak for all the people in this thread on how they react, or should react, to Jehovah's Witnesses... (the same way I cannot speak for everyone else on the Org to whether you should leave or not ;)).

I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses.
You will obviously not want me in this thread, so this will be my first and last post on this topic.

I completley agree with you!

I have only just read this thread and I was shocked at Kodiak's rudeness to Saveman and feel that an apology is due!

We all have different beliefs and as long as these do no harm then surely we can be civilised and accept these?
It's not as if Saveman was 'preaching' to us.

If you object to Jehovah's Witnesses coming to your door. The answer is simple. Don't answer the door!

Kodiak you say it causes you physical harm to answer the door but surely if anyone was visiting you they would let you know so why answer the door in the first place?

No one person has a right to tell someone, whose religious beliefs they don't agree with, to stop posting on a thread.

lindsaymcc
15-Nov-10, 19:38
I am in shock at the way this thread has unravelled. Being fairly new to the Org, this is my first real taste of some rather nasty posts.

I do hope this isnt the "norm" for the Org, and a certain poster apologises!

Kevin Milkins
15-Nov-10, 20:14
I am in shock at the way this thread has unravelled. Being fairly new to the Org, this is my first real taste of some rather nasty posts.

I have never been one to say "I told you so", but this type of thread traditionally ends in tears and I did point that out in post number, #7 (http://forum.caithness.org/showpost.php?p=785720&postcount=7) .

Liz
15-Nov-10, 20:15
I have never been one to say "I told you so", but this type of thread traditionally ends in tears and I did point that out in post number, #7 (http://forum.caithness.org/showpost.php?p=785720&postcount=7) .

Kevin no one likes a smart Alec so please leave now!!!!:lol:

scorrie
15-Nov-10, 20:19

I find it ridiculous to suggest that membership of this forum, however loyal, makes any difference to the equation. Childish and Clique are two words that spring to mind.

scorrie
15-Nov-10, 20:31
If you object to Jehovah's Witnesses coming to your door. The answer is simple. Don't answer the door!

Sorry Liz, I think you are off the mark here, as is Brandy with her suggestion of putting a sign up to deter cold calls. The whole point is about respecting privacy. Unless you are calling at someone's door by invitation or through legitimate reason, then you should be assuming that your presence is not required. People cannot live their lives afraid to answer the door in case the caller happens to be someone they don't wish to be there. We should be able to answer the door in the knowledge that the caller is there for a legitimate reason, rather than trying to peddle goods. Religious belief is just another product as far as I am concerned. Many cold callers are just doing a job and trying to feed a family and I don't follow the thinking that we should accept that those promoting religion are somehow more acceptable in calling totally uninvited to your door.

The vampires round here, and in Portgower, have to learn to respect my privacy, as I cannot afford to hang strings of garlic bulbs at my front door ;)

shazzap
15-Nov-10, 21:02
Sorry Liz, I think you are off the mark here, as is Brandy with her suggestion of putting a sign up to deter cold calls. The whole point is about respecting privacy. Unless you are calling at someone's door by invitation or through legitimate reason, then you should be assuming that your presence is not required. People cannot live their lives afraid to answer the door in case the caller happens to be someone they don't wish to be there. We should be able to answer the door in the knowledge that the caller is there for a legitimate reason, rather than trying to peddle goods. Religious belief is just another product as far as I am concerned. Many cold callers are just doing a job and trying to feed a family and I don't follow the thinking that we should accept that those promoting religion are somehow more acceptable in calling totally uninvited to your door.

The vampires round here, and in Portgower, have to learn to respect my privacy, as I cannot afford to hang strings of garlic bulbs at my front door ;)

Lol............

Walter Ego
15-Nov-10, 22:11

How come we never hear the same wailing about politicians doorknocking? That's on the same level as religious cold-calling IMO, yet there's never a squeak about that?

A lot of blowing over nothing, this.

Not aimed at you, Scorrie. Just a general observation.

shazzap
15-Nov-10, 22:19
How come we never hear the same wailing about politicians door knocking? That's on the same level as religious cold-calling IMO, yet there's never a squeak about that?

This started over JW door knocking. But i think has evolved into all cold callers, no matter what they are trying to pedal. So i don't think the majority of poster are just getting at the JW's.

Liz
15-Nov-10, 23:19

No need to be sorry Scorrie.;)

I actually agree with you that anyone who knocks at our door should be there for a 'legitimate reason' and JWs (whether we agree or not) believe that they are. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I understand that JW's believe they 'earn' salvation by spreading their gospel.
I don't agree with their beliefs but respect their right to do so.

I won't answer the door to anyone, when I am by myself, unless I am expecting them or can teet behind the curtains to see who it is!!:lol:

However, if I did the answer the door to someone I didn't want to speak to then I would be polite in telling them to 'something' off!lol

Logical
15-Nov-10, 23:24
Its not like 30 seconds to answer the door, politely say "I'm not interested" and leave is a major problem and an inconsiderate invasion of privacy. Excuse them for trying to share a happy hope from the bible.

How dare they come a smartly dressed and polite to my house to share with me what they call "the good news"! How dare they!

shazzap
15-Nov-10, 23:36
Its not like 30 seconds to answer the door, politely say "I'm not interested" and leave is a major problem and an inconsiderate invasion of privacy. Excuse them for trying to share a happy hope from the bible.

How dare they come a smartly dressed and polite to my house to share with me what they call "the good news"! How dare they!

I have to disagree with you on this.
It takes me a lot longer then 30 seconds to answer the door now.
But even when i was able, i still didn't want anyone selling their religion to me. Or any other cold caller. If you want to talk about your beliefs do it in your church with like minded people.

Logical
16-Nov-10, 00:04
I have to disagree with you on this.
It takes me a lot longer then 30 seconds to answer the door now.
But even when i was able, i still didn't want anyone selling their religion to me. Or any other cold caller. If you want to talk about your beliefs do it in your church with like minded people.

Fair enough, but its interesting that in all bibles it is written to go and preach to people. Just the JW's are the only ones doing it.

Liz
16-Nov-10, 00:05
If you want to talk about your beliefs do it in your church with like minded people.

That's hardly spreading the gospel though.:lol:

As you rightly say though not everyone can answer the door easily and it can be very inconvenient.
Some kind of intercom would be handy if you can get it?

shazzap
16-Nov-10, 00:10
Fair enough, but its interesting that in all bibles it is written to go and preach to people. Just the JW's are the only ones doing it.

That is ok if you believe in, or read any bible. I do not. As i keep saying, i am against ALL cold callers.

unicorn
16-Nov-10, 00:22
What a horribly rude and offensive post.

Please thake the hint??

scorrie
16-Nov-10, 00:40
How come we never hear the same wailing about politicians doorknocking? That's on the same level as religious cold-calling IMO, yet there's never a squeak about that?

Maybe it is because we only see Politicians a maximum of once every five years, when they are looking for our vote. The Jehovahs, on the other hand, have built up a reputation (deserved or not) of staying longer than the Mother-in-Law, leading to the old one about the difference between them and a Lada car, which was that you COULD shut the door on a Jehovah's Witness!!

Bobinovich
16-Nov-10, 00:43
How about this sign to cover all cold callers???

http://www.caithnesshost.co.uk/no.jpg

changilass
16-Nov-10, 00:45
Can you print me one off and laminate it please Bob xx

scorrie
16-Nov-10, 00:53
[QUOTE=Bobinovich;786344]How about this sign to cover all cold callers???

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i237/scorrie57/trespassers.jpg

Improved version?

Leanne
16-Nov-10, 01:07
http://www.guzer.com/pictures/shot_again.jpg

Amy-Winehouse
16-Nov-10, 02:44

Tell them yer a catholic & they ll never bother ye again Jac. Or a bucket o soapy water oot the top window- whatever floats yer boat

ducati
16-Nov-10, 09:56
How times have changed. I remember when there were umpteen door to door traders calling sometimes weekly with everything under the sun, from brushes and polish to Dandelion and Burdock. Rag and Bone men where a favourite with the kids as they gave you a balloon for old clothes and you didn't often see horses and carts in the suburbs :D. They were welcomed and traded with regularly. It was all part of daily life. (This was before supermarkets of course).

I think something is lost when people shut themselves away and don't engage with whatever is going on around them. You can kind of understand this in the big bad cities, but in a raural area like this? :(

Mrs Bucket
16-Nov-10, 20:08

C3....[evil][evil]
Now then that might explain some of the strangeness about Portgower they are all going round the doors and normal folk steer clear!!

George Brims
16-Nov-10, 21:36
Some years ago my wife was at home in the afternoon and there was a knock at the door. There were two young people, one of whom thrust a leaflet into her hand. "We've come to tell you about heaven. This is what it will look like when we get there" On the front of the leaflet was a nice picture, a line drawing of a bonny glen with a loch down the middle, soaring mountains, pine trees, and the sun's rays breaking through the distant clouds. "Oh", says hersel, "that looks just like Glen Affric in Scotland. My mum and dad live right by there. Well, thanks for coming." And she shut the door. She could hear them bickering as they went off down the steps. "Well how was I supposed to know she'd already been there?"

jac1791
17-Nov-10, 00:25
NO Amy -- that would be a lie and down right rude!!!!

Walter Ego
17-Nov-10, 09:09
Maybe it is because we only see Politicians a maximum of once every five years, when they are looking for our vote. The Jehovahs, on the other hand, have built up a reputation (deserved or not) of staying longer than the Mother-in-Law, leading to the old one about the difference between them and a Lada car, which was that you COULD shut the door on a Jehovah's Witness!!

That's a ridiculous and outrageous statement.

There's nothing wrong with Ladas.

katarina
17-Nov-10, 15:01

Please thake the hint??

You have no right to ask anyone to leave a thread! This is an open forum and everyone has a right to their opinion. Salesmen knocking on your door, phoning you up, sending you emails, accosting you on the street or in airports are a fact of life. JWs and LDS are following a commandment in the bible. Others are trying to make a living. I have a couple of very good friends who stay with me when they come over from the states. They are JWs but we never speak about religion.
Yopur remarks are totally out of order!

Garnet
18-Nov-10, 22:12
I have read through this thread pages 1 - 7 and some of the time I was totally bamboozeled by some of the replies, shocked by others and very impressed by savemans very polite replies, I can only admire him for that, I also have dear friends who are of the same religion as saveman, family committment caused them to leave Caithness, such lovely people. In a similar vein I know of some so called 'church elders' who are not so 'christian' in their daily dealings with people less fortunate or otherwise, I gave my life to God many years ago, now having fallen by the wayside so to speak, not a good example I have to say, therefore my admiration for saveman is total. G

teddybear1873
18-Nov-10, 23:49
I have read through this thread pages 1 - 7 and some of the time I was totally bamboozeled by some of the replies, shocked by others and very impressed by savemans very polite replies, I can only admire him for that, I also have dear friends who are of the same religion as saveman, family committment caused them to leave Caithness, such lovely people. In a similar vein I know of some so called 'church elders' who are not so 'christian' in their daily dealings with people less fortunate or otherwise, I gave my life to God many years ago, now having fallen by the wayside so to speak, not a good example I have to say, therefore my admiration for saveman is total. G

There is 3 topics that guarantee argument on here.

1 - Religion

2- Politics

3 - Man better than woman

Garnet
19-Nov-10, 00:04
Sorry teddybear1873 you highlighted my post here sighting 3 topics, Religion, Politcs and 'man better than woman', maybe it's the late hour but I'm not sure I follow, do you mean my post or all posts? If it's mine I don't remember including the last 2, can you clarify for this old biddy. Ta. :roll:

teddybear1873
19-Nov-10, 00:47
Sorry teddybear1873 you highlighted my post here sighting 3 topics, Religion, Politcs and 'man better than woman', maybe it's the late hour but I'm not sure I follow, do you mean my post or all posts? If it's mine I don't remember including the last 2, can you clarify for this old biddy. Ta. :roll:

Lol, I was just throwing in what topics orgers argue about thats all Garnet.

Can I call you Alf lol?

Walter Ego
19-Nov-10, 08:29
There is 3 topics that guarantee argument on here.

1 - Religion

2- Politics

3 - Man better than woman

You forgot 'Wick is better than Thurso':Razz

Logical
19-Nov-10, 11:14
Wick is better than Thurso

Glad we all agree!

Better Out Than In
19-Nov-10, 13:07
My father-in-law, now sadly deceased, used to welcome JW's. He was a man who used to relish a good old argument. Once eventually released, sometimes 2 or 3 hours later, the poor JH's would hurry off down the road never to be seen again. After a while they could be seen trying to avoid the house but my F-in-L would have none of it and would go out into the street to grab them. Then the roles would be reversed with the poor unfortunate JW's trying to come up with excuses not to engage in conversation.

Garnet
19-Nov-10, 22:20
Well teddybear1873 you are naughty, but thanks for clearing that up, thought i was going more senile for a minute. lol. Alf is it then, long time ago that was....got the videos (honest) kids loved the little fella so did the big kids!!! lol!!! :roll:

Corrie 3
19-Nov-10, 22:52
My father-in-law, now sadly deceased, used to welcome JW's. He was a man who used to relish a good old argument. Once eventually released, sometimes 2 or 3 hours later, the poor JH's would hurry off down the road never to be seen again. After a while they could be seen trying to avoid the house but my F-in-L would have none of it and would go out into the street to grab them. Then the roles would be reversed with the poor unfortunate JW's trying to come up with excuses not to engage in conversation.
This just proves that they are only interested in the ones that they think they can brain wash!.....(and tip up 10% of their income)..;)

C3....:roll:

Logical
20-Nov-10, 01:17
(and tip up 10% of their income)

Just to put a stop to the garbage myths you keep throwing out - Jehovas witnesses do not give a set amount of their wage nor do they ask for a collection like what is done at churches. Voluntary donations are accepted but not expected!

You really cant put a polite law abiding group through so much, I'm sure your not a perfect role model.

Walter Ego
20-Nov-10, 09:17
None of the JW's I have known and met have tried to brainwash me. Neither have the Krishna guys who talk to me on the streets..

I'm sure those Christian paramiltarys - the Salvation Army - will be getting it in the neck for blowing trumpets at Christmas soon..........:roll:

Corrie 3
20-Nov-10, 12:47
I have just been reliably informed that JW's do not have to give any of their earnings and they dont even have to give a donation if they cant afford it. It seems the information I was given many years ago was false so I unreservably apologise if I caused any upset by my statement.

C3...:)

bekisman
20-Nov-10, 13:26
There seems a lot of misinformation about JW's (as with most religions).. Having been good friends and taken part in a JW wedding, maybe the following will clear up some things? I'm sure if it's wrong, hopefully someone will point it out.. and before anyone says I'm promoting this religion; I ain't I'm an Atheist

1. No Trinity
Witnesses only believe in a single, solitary God and his name is Jehovah. Jesus, as Jehovah's son, is a separate individual second only to his father. The holy spirit (uncapitalized) is simply Jehovah God's active force. Whenever God causes something to happen, he uses his holy spirit to do it. The holy spirit is not an individual unto itself.

2. God did not Create the universe Directly
Witnesses believe that Michael the Archangel is the only thing which Jehovah created personally. Michael created everything else under Jehovah's direction. They also believe that Jesus was in fact Michael made flesh. Michael, now called Jesus, is second only to Jehovah in power and authority.

3. No Eternal Damnation.
Witnesses believe that Hell, as mentioned in the Bible, merely describes the grave after death. In some cases, it may also refer to everlasting destruction. Note that they reject the Christian belief in a human soul. Living things (including humans) do not have a soul, but instead they are souls in and of themselves.

4. Only the 144,000 go to Heaven.
Witnesses believe that only a select few - referred to as the anointed, or the "faithful and discrete slave class" - go to Heaven. They will serve as judges at Jesus's side. There are only 144,000 of the slave class in total. (Note that the total number of anointed recorded exceeds this number) Sometimes, a member of the anointed may have their position revoked by Jesus for some sin or other impropriety he disapproves of. When this happens, a new anointed is called. Witnesses are reminded to be the faithful and discrete slave in accordance with Jehovah's wishes because they are his representatives on Earth. The Society's views on the anointed tend to change every so often as the 1914 generation of anointed Witnesses gets older.

5. An Earthly Resurrection and Paradise.
Non-anointed Witnesses expect to live forever right here on Earth. They have no "heavenly hope." It is believed that only faithful Witnesses will survive Armageddon and live to see Christ's Millennial Reign. Nearly everyone who ever lived will be resurrected and made young again, but this excludes those killed during Armageddon. The surviving Witnesses will train the resurrected to believe the Watchtower Society's teachings and to worship as they do. They will also work toward making the Earth a paradise. Any resurrected person that refuses to go along with this new arrangement will be killed permanently by Jesus, never to be resurrected again.

6. All non Witnesses and 'Worldly' Organisations are under Satanic Control.
Anyone who is not one of Jehovah's Witnesses is a "worldly person" and therefore part of Satan's system of things. This makes the rest of us bad associates. All governments and non-Watchtower religious organizations are also seen as part of Satan's system. Witnesses are forbidden to involve themselves in politics or interfaith efforts for this reason.

7. Disfellowship and Disassocation.
One of the Society's more controversial practices is disfellowshipping, which is a form of excommunication and shunning all in one. Members can be disfellowshipped for committing a serious sin or for a lack of faith in the Society's teachings and authority. A Witness who wishes to leave the Society may write a letter of disassociation. Since the penalties are basically the same, this is really just a request to be disfellowshipped.

8. Like the Jews, Jehovah's Witnesses were persecuted by the Nazis.
Watchtower literature was very outspoken and critical about the Nazi government in Germany. As a result, it was common for German Witnesses to be thrown into concentration camps just like the Jews. There is a video, called "Purple Triangles," which documents this.

9. Only the Babtized are considered full fledged Jehovah's Witnesses.
Many Christian denominations allow membership to anyone who wants it without restriction, but the Watchtower Society requires some training (usually a year or more) and door-to-door preaching before allowing anyone to join by getting baptized. The Society claims a membership of over six million, but when counted by the standards of most other denominations, their membership is probably much higher.

10. The Light gets Brighter as the End Draws Near.
The Watchtower Society is known for changing its beliefs and policies from time to time. Witnesses believe that only the Society has "The Truth," but that their knowledge of it is imperfect. Jesus guides them toward ultimate knowledge of Jehovah's teachings over time. The accuracy of their teachings will increase as Armageddon draws closer. Witnesses are still instructed to honour the Society's present day teachings. Unlike the Catholic Pope, the Governing Body does not claim to be infallible. But they have been appointed by Jesus to run God's earthly organization, so Witnesses should obey the Governing Body as if they were infallible even though they make mistakes.

orkneycadian
20-Nov-10, 13:53
Only the 144,000 go to Heaven.

There are only 144,000 of the slave class in total. (Note that the total number of anointed recorded exceeds this number)

So basically then, Heavens already full?

Fair enough! Off to do some mischief for fun! [evil]

Kenneth
20-Nov-10, 14:25
No appointed me and I never said I was speaking for everyone, I said that " I am asking" not we are asking.

Yes my spelling does go off about this time of night, but that has nothing to do with this thread and more to my Medical condition, as at 11pm every Night I have to take 16 different types of Medication and I get woozy to say the least. Sometimes my disability make me grouchy as well, especially after I have been in bad pain all day.

That's quite petty bringing that into the discussion. You shouldnt have to use that as a defence against someone really.

How often do they come round? Every day? I've never had a Jehovah's witness at my door. If I did, I would simply say "Sorry I'm really not interested" and shut the door. To the point and not rude!

oldmarine
20-Nov-10, 20:02
I get more mormons than JW's here. Just a few evenings ago, two very cold fellas with big name tags came to the door - I was carrying a dish towel at the time - they must have been elders from Salt Lake City.

I tried my usual dismissal of classifying myself as an old cynic, but they did not leave until they had left me a card showing that they had the answers to all of life's mysteries and giving their website and 1-800 free telephone number.

My family teased the b'jeyzus out of me after they got home.

I'm torn between annoyance and almost admiration for their misplaced enthusiasm. My tolerance did not go so far as invite them in so they would not freeze their butts off.

I think the mormons must have a similar holy book admonition to spread the stuff around a bit.

JW's & Mormons are well-trained to do what they do. They are either successful or not as successful as they would like to be, but they never give up. That is part of their training. I have acquaintenances in both religions. All of them have learned that I an not an easy target and have given up on me. So be it...

jac1791
20-Nov-10, 21:57
well Kodiak, I have just met Saveman personally and what a really nice man, so i hope he does not leave as u have asked!!

thank you saveman,

Jac

Corrie 3
20-Nov-10, 22:09
well Kodiak, I have just met Saveman personally and what a really nice man, so i hope he does not leave as u have asked!!

thank you saveman,

Jac
Oh dear,
He didnt come knocking on your door did he Jac?

C3...;)

crayola
20-Nov-10, 22:41
These people who do cold calling do more harm than good sometimes, and I do not think I am the only one who thinks this either.No you're not the only one who thinks this. I agree with everything you've written in that sentence apart from the word 'sometimes'.

Any JW who comes to my door selling their infantile nonsense will leave with my broomstick wedged so far up their backside they'll never return.

gingernut
20-Nov-10, 23:01
Why don't all you people who are averse to JW's cold calling just put a wee sticker on your door saying "No Jehovah's Witnesses" Saves having to resort to violence!:D

crayola
20-Nov-10, 23:22
Why don't all you people who are averse to JW's cold calling just put a wee sticker on your door saying "No Jehovah's Witnesses" Saves having to resort to violence!:DThat seems like a very positive and constructive suggestion but it ignores the possibility that I might take a deep satisfaction from the experience of inserting a blunt broomstick into the nether regions of JWs and other religious extremists. :D

EDDIE
21-Nov-10, 01:20
Why don't all you people who are averse to JW's cold calling just put a wee sticker on your door saying "No Jehovah's Witnesses" Saves having to resort to violence!:D

Why should you have to put a sticker on your door?
The jehovah witnesses should find some other means of reaching out to the public rather than cold calling on the hope of getting a vunerable person

Garnet
21-Nov-10, 02:58
tsk, tsk tsk, crayola (post 142) a tad extreme methinks, remind me not to turn my back on you!!! :lol:

EDDIE, (post 143) well what 'other means' would you suggest....be nice now!!! maybe they are just the help a vulnerable person may need!

anyway you're all scaredy-cats or have a bad consience...:lol:[lol]

Mystical Potato Head
21-Nov-10, 10:35

Its rather common actually,usually caused by the inability of some to accept other peoples opininions,or even accept that they are entitled to an opinion.All to often people go on the offensive stating they are right and everyone else is wrong,
"I know better than you" syndrome ensures meaningfull debates and discussion that dont degenerate into a slagging match are few and it isnt just religion and politics that suffer this fate.
There are also some very large mountains around these parts which were once molehills.

As for the apology,well you will only recieve one from someone who admits they were wrong or rude, but usually the levels of hypocrisy ensure you will have a long wait for one.

bekisman
21-Nov-10, 13:23
I see by para 4 of posting # 134 "The Society's views on the anointed tend to change every so often"..
Seems things do change, I see the Free Church of Scotland has voted to relax its rules to allow hymn singing and the use of instruments in its churches - Unaccompanied psalm singing is currently the only music permitted in public worship by the Free Church. The vote ended with the commissioners of the church, splitting 98 to 84, with a majority of just 14 in favour of allowing hymns and instruments. "Ministers who supported the change believe it could attract new worshippers to congregations suffering from declining membership"

Hmm.. I wonder..

I see also the Catholics have also done a complete U turn by remarks by Pope Benedict that the use of condoms might not always be wrong. The Pope said "their use might be justified on a case by case basis to prevent the spread of HIV/Aids." Yet just 7 years ago in 2003 'The Catholic Church is telling people in countries stricken by Aids not to use condoms because they have tiny holes in them through which HIV can pass - potentially exposing thousands of people to risk. The church is making the claims across four continents despite a widespread scientific consensus that condoms are impermeable to HIV'

I just don't know what to do - it's all so confusing..

Nah, I'll stay as I am; an atheist ;)

shazzap
21-Nov-10, 15:19

Ha ha me too.[lol]

oldmarine
21-Nov-10, 15:35
There seems a lot of misinformation about JW's (as with most religions).. Having been good friends and taken part in a JW wedding, maybe the following will clear up some things? I'm sure if it's wrong, hopefully someone will point it out.. and before anyone says I'm promoting this religion; I ain't I'm an Atheist

1. No Trinity
Witnesses only believe in a single, solitary God and his name is Jehovah. Jesus, as Jehovah's son, is a separate individual second only to his father. The holy spirit (uncapitalized) is simply Jehovah God's active force. Whenever God causes something to happen, he uses his holy spirit to do it. The holy spirit is not an individual unto itself.

2. God did not Create the universe Directly
Witnesses believe that Michael the Archangel is the only thing which Jehovah created personally. Michael created everything else under Jehovah's direction. They also believe that Jesus was in fact Michael made flesh. Michael, now called Jesus, is second only to Jehovah in power and authority.

3. No Eternal Damnation.
Witnesses believe that Hell, as mentioned in the Bible, merely describes the grave after death. In some cases, it may also refer to everlasting destruction. Note that they reject the Christian belief in a human soul. Living things (including humans) do not have a soul, but instead they are souls in and of themselves.

4. Only the 144,000 go to Heaven.
Witnesses believe that only a select few - referred to as the anointed, or the "faithful and discrete slave class" - go to Heaven. They will serve as judges at Jesus's side. There are only 144,000 of the slave class in total. (Note that the total number of anointed recorded exceeds this number) Sometimes, a member of the anointed may have their position revoked by Jesus for some sin or other impropriety he disapproves of. When this happens, a new anointed is called. Witnesses are reminded to be the faithful and discrete slave in accordance with Jehovah's wishes because they are his representatives on Earth. The Society's views on the anointed tend to change every so often as the 1914 generation of anointed Witnesses gets older.

5. An Earthly Resurrection and Paradise.
Non-anointed Witnesses expect to live forever right here on Earth. They have no "heavenly hope." It is believed that only faithful Witnesses will survive Armageddon and live to see Christ's Millennial Reign. Nearly everyone who ever lived will be resurrected and made young again, but this excludes those killed during Armageddon. The surviving Witnesses will train the resurrected to believe the Watchtower Society's teachings and to worship as they do. They will also work toward making the Earth a paradise. Any resurrected person that refuses to go along with this new arrangement will be killed permanently by Jesus, never to be resurrected again.

6. All non Witnesses and 'Worldly' Organisations are under Satanic Control.
Anyone who is not one of Jehovah's Witnesses is a "worldly person" and therefore part of Satan's system of things. This makes the rest of us bad associates. All governments and non-Watchtower religious organizations are also seen as part of Satan's system. Witnesses are forbidden to involve themselves in politics or interfaith efforts for this reason.

7. Disfellowship and Disassocation.
One of the Society's more controversial practices is disfellowshipping, which is a form of excommunication and shunning all in one. Members can be disfellowshipped for committing a serious sin or for a lack of faith in the Society's teachings and authority. A Witness who wishes to leave the Society may write a letter of disassociation. Since the penalties are basically the same, this is really just a request to be disfellowshipped.

8. Like the Jews, Jehovah's Witnesses were persecuted by the Nazis.
Watchtower literature was very outspoken and critical about the Nazi government in Germany. As a result, it was common for German Witnesses to be thrown into concentration camps just like the Jews. There is a video, called "Purple Triangles," which documents this.

9. Only the Babtized are considered full fledged Jehovah's Witnesses.
Many Christian denominations allow membership to anyone who wants it without restriction, but the Watchtower Society requires some training (usually a year or more) and door-to-door preaching before allowing anyone to join by getting baptized. The Society claims a membership of over six million, but when counted by the standards of most other denominations, their membership is probably much higher.

10. The Light gets Brighter as the End Draws Near.
The Watchtower Society is known for changing its beliefs and policies from time to time. Witnesses believe that only the Society has "The Truth," but that their knowledge of it is imperfect. Jesus guides them toward ultimate knowledge of Jehovah's teachings over time. The accuracy of their teachings will increase as Armageddon draws closer. Witnesses are still instructed to honour the Society's present day teachings. Unlike the Catholic Pope, the Governing Body does not claim to be infallible. But they have been appointed by Jesus to run God's earthly organization, so Witnesses should obey the Governing Body as if they were infallible even though they make mistakes.

bekisman: I learned a lot of history and things I never knew about the JW's from what you have posted above. Now that I have read them I doubt that I will convert to the JW belief. At 85 years of age and from what I went through during WW2 I am too old and went through too much to change my beliefs. However, thank you for your posting.

bekisman
21-Nov-10, 15:47
bekisman: I learned a lot of history and things I never knew about the JW's from what you have posted above. Now that I have read them I doubt that I will convert to the JW belief. At 85 years of age and from what I went through during WW2 I am too old and went through too much to change my beliefs. However, thank you for your posting.

Thanks for that oldmarine.
As a mere stripling of 65 and 15 years of military service behind me plus a decade as a fire-fighter, seen things that caused me to have the opposite effect, ref religion.. but I 'believe' we are all entitled to our own personal views..

John Little
21-Nov-10, 16:38
Knock-knock........

ducati
21-Nov-10, 20:13
I know I'm gonner regret this...

Who's there?

northener
21-Nov-10, 20:50
Jehova......

golach
21-Nov-10, 20:59
Jehova Who?

Phill
21-Nov-10, 21:26
If you say Jehova one more time......... who threw that?

Phill
21-Nov-10, 21:50
"Ministers who supported the change believe it could attract new worshippers to congregations suffering from declining membership"

Hmm.. I wonder..Born Slippy v the Free Church of Scotland:

Shouting lager lager lager lager mega mega O Lord, you have searched me and known me!

(to the dance moves of 'big fish little fish')

northener
22-Nov-10, 17:29
Jehova Who?

Jehova get the impression this threads' getting a bit daft?

ducati
22-Nov-10, 18:27

Yep :roll:

Commore
22-Nov-10, 18:41
They are not all bad,
we used to have twelve of them stay at ours, year in, year out, we lent them our van to get around with, and we thought nothing of it, until one day, a neighbour said he saw our van parked at the end of his track and again we thought, well, so what?
and then one or two more neighbours mentioned that our van was seen in their area too and so finally we asked the question "what's wrong with our van being parked in various areas"? and THEN, they told us it wasn't the van but what t was carrying, only twelve Jehovas Witnesses!

Our "Guests" were JW's and had preached all over, but not once did they mention to ourselves that their holiday was anything other than a holiday, not ever in years,
they were among the best guests we ever had,
despite having an ala carte menu and twelve guests with very different tastes, not once were they a problem.

And they never once attempted to preach to ourselves either.

John Little
22-Nov-10, 19:03

Who's there?

It's me! I saw it all!

Can I come into this thread now?

northener
22-Nov-10, 21:54
It's me! I saw it all!

Can I come into this thread now?

Nope.

You're not one of the Elect.

Damn, wrong sect.:roll:

oldmarine
22-Nov-10, 22:04
They are not all bad,
we used to have twelve of them stay at ours, year in, year out, we lent them our van to get around with, and we thought nothing of it, until one day, a neighbour said he saw our van parked at the end of his track and again we thought, well, so what?
and then one or two more neighbours mentioned that our van was seen in their area too and so finally we asked the question "what's wrong with our van being parked in various areas"? and THEN, they told us it wasn't the van but what t was carrying, only twelve Jehovas Witnesses!

Our "Guests" were JW's and had preached all over, but not once did they mention to ourselves that their holiday was anything other than a holiday, not ever in years,
they were among the best guests we ever had,
despite having an ala carte menu and twelve guests with very different tastes, not once were they a problem.

And they never once attempted to preach to ourselves either.

Did you have any experience with the Mormons? How did they compare with the JW's? I used to live amongst the Mormon's when I lived and worked in the state of Utah. I always found them to be pleasant people and easy to be around even after they discovered I could not be converted. I likewise had an acquaintenance whom I often saw when I met with my morning coffee group. He was a little more persistant in trying to convert me to his beliefs, but we still got along even though he was not successful in converting me.

John Little
22-Nov-10, 22:45
Nope.

You're not one of the Elect.

Damn, wrong sect.:roll:

Well that's it then. If you hear weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth in the outer darkness up towards the main road - that'll be me.....

Didn't want to come in to this thread anyway....mutter mutter...

RecQuery
23-Nov-10, 00:11
Well that's it then. If you hear weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth in the outer darkness up towards the main road - that'll be me.....

Didn't want to come in to this thread anyway....mutter mutter...

ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

In his house at R'lyeh dead Cthulhu waits dreaming.

Mrs Bucket
23-Nov-10, 00:20
I see by para 4 of posting # 134 "The Society's views on the anointed tend to change every so often"..
Seems things do change, I see the Free Church of Scotland has voted to relax its rules to allow hymn singing and the use of instruments in its churches - Unaccompanied psalm singing is currently the only music permitted in public worship by the Free Church. The vote ended with the commissioners of the church, splitting 98 to 84, with a majority of just 14 in favour of allowing hymns and instruments. "Ministers who supported the change believe it could attract new worshippers to congregations suffering from declining membership"

Hmm.. I wonder..

I see also the Catholics have also done a complete U turn by remarks by Pope Benedict that the use of condoms might not always be wrong. The Pope said "their use might be justified on a case by case basis to prevent the spread of HIV/Aids." Yet just 7 years ago in 2003 'The Catholic Church is telling people in countries stricken by Aids not to use condoms because they have tiny holes in them through which HIV can pass - potentially exposing thousands of people to risk. The church is making the claims across four continents despite a widespread scientific consensus that condoms are impermeable to HIV'

I just don't know what to do - it's all so confusing..

I think its laughable I wonder what god makes of it all

theone
23-Nov-10, 00:28
I think its laughable I wonder what god makes of it all

God? Dont you mean Juju? or Thor? or Ra?

What's his name again?

Aaldtimer
23-Nov-10, 03:35

H.P.Lovecraft rules eh?
As my old dad said..."The Sloshpoddlers are just waiting to take over!":eek:

John Little
23-Nov-10, 07:59

Yyyyyoouuuu!!! said that name!!!!

RecQuery
23-Nov-10, 08:51
Yyyyyoouuuu!!! said that name!!!!

I think I'm okay with Cthulhu, it's the king in yellow; Hastur you need to worry about when you say his name three times.

Commore
23-Nov-10, 18:05
Did you have any experience with the Mormons? How did they compare with the JW's? I used to live amongst the Mormon's when I lived and worked in the state of Utah. I always found them to be pleasant people and easy to be around even after they discovered I could not be converted. I likewise had an acquaintenance whom I often saw when I met with my morning coffee group. He was a little more persistant in trying to convert me to his beliefs, but we still got along even though he was not successful in converting me.

Mormons no, but my Granny had a cousin who was a lay preacher in Utah and I am almost sure that was to do with the Mormon religion.

whateva
23-Nov-10, 23:02
i agree 100%
as some one said ship them to portgower let em prech ere and going around preeching in eh cooldest a weather they're no bloody wise

if all else fails shoot em:lol:

George Brims
24-Nov-10, 00:03
if all else fails shoot em:lol:
Now be careful, whateva, you could get in trouble for that remark. They're only in season when there's an "R" in the month. And don't take the undersized ones.

teddybear1873
24-Nov-10, 00:09
I'm scratching my head and laughing at the people who got heated up on this topic. It don't matter if it's a JW, Mormon, Amish, Jedi or Job 'a' Bob week rapping on your door. If ye danna want them, say 'No thanks and shut the door'

How simple is that? Duhhhhh!!!!!!

dragonfly
24-Nov-10, 08:40
absolutely agree with you TB1873 - I can't get over the vitriol being spouted by some members in this thread, certainly opened my eyes as to what type of persons they are

As I read recently somewhere common courtesy is no longer common these days - a simple No Thank You would suffice I am sure

Mrs Bucket
24-Nov-10, 17:29
Had Jehovas at my door today they looked so downtrodden and cold I wanted to offer them a cup of tea but I know of old if you do that it is the thin edge of a very large wedge. so I said thankyou but no. goodbye.and firmly shut the door.

ducati
24-Nov-10, 20:01
I was thinking of doing the census next year but judging by the likely reception on the doorstep in Caithness, I think I will give it a miss :(