PDA

View Full Version : Relocating

ariel-luna
07-Aug-06, 08:58
Hi everyone....I live in Forfar, Angus and I am seriously considering moving up to Caithness. I have to say that in all my travels this is the only place that has a special place in my heart...I love the area. Can any one advise me on the housing situation and what the chances would be if I went for a housing exchange. Would people want to exchange? The house I am in at the moment is a Housing Association new build. I have been ill for a while now and need a change. Any advise would be great...Thank you.:)

Ann
07-Aug-06, 09:44
Hi there,

Glad you like our county and hope you are successful in finding a home.

I think you should post a message on this forum first to attract people's attention as we have many members who, although they may not post, look in here regularly and you never know......

If nothing comes of that, try an advert in the local rag, the John O'Groat Journal, http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/ and see what happens.

Cheers and good luck,
Ann

Kingetter
07-Aug-06, 09:56
"I have been ill for a while now"
If you have medical problems, make sure you can access any special needs up here that you may have before deciding to move. Wick has a great hospital, but isn't Ninewells. Inverness is a good 2 hours drive away. Aberdeen much further.

Cocoa
07-Aug-06, 14:25
Hi everyone....I live in Forfar, Angus and I am seriously considering moving up to Caithness. I have to say that in all my travels this is the only place that has a special place in my heart...I love the area. Can any one advise me on the housing situation and what the chances would be if I went for a housing exchange. Would people want to exchange? The house I am in at the moment is a Housing Association new build. I have been ill for a while now and need a change. Any advise would be great...Thank you.:)

What kind of house are you looking for? Which part of the county are you looking at moving to?

cuddlepop
07-Aug-06, 17:53
If you go into your local housing association you can put yourself onto a transfer list.The same can be done at the local council offices,although i'm not sure if you can transfer with someone in a council house ,you'd have to check that one up.
Good luck.I can understand why you want to move up to Caithness,its a rench everytime we come back here.

tillygirl
07-Aug-06, 18:08
Houses are much cheaper up here to buy than down in Angus so have a look at www.caithnessproperty.co.uk (http://www.caithnessproperty.co.uk). Or you could get in touch with Pentland Housing Association via their website www.pentlandhousing.co.uk (http://www.pentlandhousing.co.uk) Or there is the Highland Council at Market Square, Wick KW1 4AB. Hope you get on ok.

DrSzin
07-Aug-06, 18:46
Houses are much cheaper up here to buy than down in Angus [...]Cheaper perhaps, but not enormously cheaper, surely? From my (somewhat limited) experience of a few years ago, I would say that most houses in and around Forfar are not particularly expensive, even by Caithness standards. Having said that, there are some really big expensive houses in that area - something you rarely see in Caithness as far as I'm aware.

On the other hand, my info is a few years out-of-date, and there has been a bit of a housing boom since then.

Wish
07-Aug-06, 23:56
I have no words of wisdom, but wanted to wish you luck with your possible move x

Fran
09-Aug-06, 01:59
You would get special points for moving or exchanging council house for medical needs. also my friend recently moved from wick to england through a council exchange web site but im not sure which one. I could find out for you. Maybe you could put an ad in our local paper. good luck.

ariel-luna
10-Aug-06, 14:31
Many thanks to those of you who have answered....you are all very kind.
The doctors are going to start doing tests again and I really want some of the health problems sorted out before I do anything. You have however suggested some things that I am going to look into. You just might see me in Caithness yet! :lol: Big Hugs to everyone.

Kingetter
10-Aug-06, 15:14
have you picked out somewhere in particular yet?

Woolie
10-Aug-06, 22:24
I Moved up here 5 years ago and would never move back again ask at council about exchange cos we got one maybe we were just lucky good luck