PDA

View Full Version : Prisoner's New TV's

Garnet
14-Nov-10, 16:17
It seems the Scottish Prison Services (SPS) have decided to buy NEW 19" TV's at a cost of £500,000 for their 'inmates' so they can watch in their cells. These TV's are state of the art LCD screens however, bosses say it wont cost the Tax payer any money as the prisoner will have to pay themselves....to which I ask....where will they get the money in the first place????[disgust]

Kodiak
14-Nov-10, 17:02
Where they get the money is from the weekly amount they are paid to work. I am led to belive that they get £4.00 a week for this and they will have to pay for the TV's at the weekly rate of £1.00.

This is what I heard on the Radio so I trust this information is correct.

billmoseley
14-Nov-10, 17:03
they will still get repeats of porridge [lol]

lindsaymcc
14-Nov-10, 17:04
I had heard that inmates have to pay £1 a week for TV privileges and it is that money that will fund it.

badger
14-Nov-10, 17:08
Expect a lot of pensioners would be happy to pay £1 pw for a new 19" tv.

Solus
14-Nov-10, 17:10
dont be fooled by the spin the Prison Service are saying, the £1 a week goes towards costs of the television licence fee's not towards the costs of the televisions.

EDDIE
14-Nov-10, 17:25
It seems the Scottish Prison Services (SPS) have decided to buy NEW 19" TV's at a cost of £500,000 for their 'inmates' so they can watch in their cells. These TV's are state of the art LCD screens however, bosses say it wont cost the Tax payer any money as the prisoner will have to pay themselves....to which I ask....where will they get the money in the first place????[disgust]

In prisons everyone works or does tasks every week they can get payed up to £15 a week depending on there job if they choose not to take part they get nothing
They spend the money in there shop it covers toothpaste shampoo and all the other things the prisoners need.

redeyedtreefrog
14-Nov-10, 17:30
Our prison system is an utter failure, we should move the focus from punishment to rehabilitation. Surely prisoners should upon leaving prison be more able and motivated to live crime-free lives than they were when they went in?

Shabbychic
14-Nov-10, 17:36
I have to laugh. The papers are always on about people out of work, and now prisoners, getting luxurious, flat screen TVs. What other type of TVs can be purchased nowadays? :confused To me the luxury part is the size, not the flat screen. Let's face it, 19" is hardly luxurious.

Did you know that some privately-run prisons already have their flat screen TVs, and this was sanctioned by Scottish Labour? TVs have been available in Scottish prisons since 1999, and I don't think SNP were in power then.

With regards to the £1 paid by prisoners each week, this is not being put towards TV licence fees. Prisons are subject to Crown Exemption, so they don't pay a licence.

Anyway, this is just more Scottish Labour propaganda rubbish. With the Scottish elections coming up, expect more of this tripe to spew forth on a regular basis.

Solus
14-Nov-10, 18:17
Prisons are subject to Crown Exemption, so they don't pay a licence.

If I recall, the SPS lost crown Exemption few years back,

Walter Ego
14-Nov-10, 18:26
Shock news, prisoners also to get comfy beds.......:roll:

I believe they also may be allowed to write to people outside, too.

ducati
14-Nov-10, 18:28
and as much Crack as you can eat :eek:

Garnet
14-Nov-10, 19:22
Shabbychic, I did know prisoners have had TV's but not actually in their own cells (no doubt nievely), I also knew they were paid for work, using it for essentials I thought, that aside, I am lucky enough to have an 19" TV in my kitchen to me a luxury, maybe not to you though, however the cost of £5000,000 makes me shudder.....did someone mention we're in a 'bit' of debt on here, also if you go into hospital (not a crime..I think!) you have to pay for a card minimum cost £5, tough if you can't afford it.

Walter Ego: forgive me, but are you taking the 'proverbial', surely never! Or is the later part of your name a clue?? :roll:

Ducati: 'you are awful' but I l...............U.[lol]

EDDIE: up to £15 per week, phew, along with free bed and board no poll-tax and outside family taken well care of...so no worries there!!!:confused

Bazeye
14-Nov-10, 21:10
and as much Crack as you can eat :eek:

Erm......you are talking drugs here, arent you? :eek:

ducati
15-Nov-10, 01:00
Erm......you are talking drugs here, arent you? :eek:

Yes, but apparently you have to er.. wash it first :eek: