PDA

View Full Version : Somewhere to go

Kingetter
07-Aug-06, 02:28
Was out Sunday afternoon with friends and ended up here - no prizes for guessing!

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i102/OpenandShut/8d8bed81.jpg

Fran
07-Aug-06, 02:31
It is terrible to see the john O'groats hotel in such a state. it used to be a nice place to go, nice pub, good meals, special offers of dinner with bed and breakfast.

Kingetter
07-Aug-06, 02:33
I call it a scandal myself. Wish I could get painting!

Kingetter
07-Aug-06, 02:41
The Photographer has a closing down sale - everything must go - wish the building would - its not in any way attractive

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i102/OpenandShut/20137eee.jpg

Ann
07-Aug-06, 09:53
I was there yesterday too and saddened by the state the place is in. It is a bonnie building and it is being allowed to decay possibly because each company who buys it seems to be only speculating and making a profit by selling it again after a few years.

I wish some of the local authorities or businesses would buy it and make it something to be proud of. I'm sure if it had accommodation again and a good restaurant, it would be a great place to visit.

In fact, how about a community buy-out by the locals there? I'm sure there are enough enterprising folks out there who could really set this place on it's feet.

I'm sure in a famous place like J.O'Gs, it would be a success.

Kingetter
07-Aug-06, 10:00
I fully endorse your comments - only wish I had the 'pennies'. I've stayed there in the past (past life maybe lol) and it was comfortable. That was when De Savary owned it I think.

DW
07-Aug-06, 10:51
Quite a contrast with Lands End eh?
http://www.landsend-landmark.co.uk/gallery.php

I know L E is commercial but at least it looks alive and there is plenty there to relieve the tourists of their dollars and Yen.

The JOG hotel used to have a great restaurant and it was a superb location for a meal out, sad to see it the way it is now though.

Kingetter
07-Aug-06, 11:05
And JOG just sends folk off to Orkney - not that that's a bad place to go of course, but still a shame.

Murchiemannie
07-Aug-06, 21:44
I quite agree about the state of the Groat's Hotel.
It is an absolute eyesore, and it used to be such a thriving place.
I remember when Mrs Mckenzie owned it back in the 50s/60s and her daughter and her husband had the Seaview ( i think) that was what it was called.
Poor visitors....fancy sitting on a coach mile after mile ,then coming to Groat's and seeing what they see----DISGRACEFUL

Phoebus_Apollo
07-Aug-06, 21:48
Looks like the Bates motel...:)

Wish
07-Aug-06, 23:52
What a shame, I hate to see buildings going to rack and ruin:(

bagpuss
08-Aug-06, 00:00
Not to mention all the empty spaces in the retail park. Now a few retail giants could make a real difference- how about a designer outlet cut price centre like the one in Stirling? Next to nothing etc- that would be a draw for tourists.

A friend who visited me ten years ago remarked the Groats hotel was like a bad hotel in Communist russia- and now it's a wreck. Now why can't the planning people and the property speculators get this one right? or might this not have been a good place to stick the supermarkets?

Ricco
08-Aug-06, 09:13
Quite a contrast with Lands End eh?
http://www.landsend-landmark.co.uk/gallery.php

I know L E is commercial but at least it looks alive and there is plenty there to relieve the tourists of their dollars and Yen.

The JOG hotel used to have a great restaurant and it was a superb location for a meal out, sad to see it the way it is now though.

Perhaps it is something to do with the respective site owners - isn't Lands End a National Trust property? Maybe the Scottish Natinal Trust should buy the site and manage it?

DW
08-Aug-06, 11:55
Perhaps it is something to do with the respective site owners - isn't Lands End a National Trust property? Maybe the Scottish Natinal Trust should buy the site and manage it?

Lands End is owned by a company called 'Heritage Attractions' which is owned by the Continuum Group; here is a quote from their website

"Under the Heritage Attractions brand, Continuum owns a portfolio of attractions and we are always interested in investing in sustainable, commercial visitor attractions in the UK and internationally. Our operations skills are also available to clients in relation to operating their own project."

Violetsky
08-Aug-06, 19:34
I think you may find that the same company owns both Lands End - and John O Groats properties - www.jogroats.co.uk seems to indicate this

DW
08-Aug-06, 19:38
I think you may find that the same company owns both Lands End - and John O Groats properties - www.jogroats.co.uk seems to indicate this
Looks as if you are correct, got to sk why they allow JOG to be in such a state then?

Kingetter
09-Aug-06, 00:05
When De savary had JOG, he also had Lands End and somewhere (name escapes me just now) which I think was supposed to be the most western mainland place in Scotland. Maybe someone can come up with where it was? And maybe who has the hotel now?
Would JOG be a listed building?

Cedric Farthsbottom III
09-Aug-06, 00:12
Tourism is what makes a hotel rock n roll,every town has its own booms,but I thought with the Lands End and John o Groats connection that the 'seasons' widnae matter.

Kingetter
09-Aug-06, 00:45
When the Orkney Ferry stops for the 'winter', things just go slack. Why? Mainly 'cos there's not enough else to do there. The Hotel could still have provided some facilities were it open, but even the new Restaurant up the road won't attract enough visitors to do much for the location. Is the Ferry not big enough for 'winter weather'? Is that why it shuts down when it does?
I wonder if the hotel is on the market? and for how much?

katarina
09-Aug-06, 08:30
if i every win the lottery...... JOG hotel and Pavilion Wick - Two peices of history allowed to go to wreck and ruin. It's disgraceful.

Kingetter
09-Aug-06, 08:37
I wonder what the hotel's market value might be

dirdyweeker
09-Aug-06, 12:18
http://www.jogroats.co.uk/news.php
this is what I found when I visited the above site. Will I take this as old news then and not hold my breath for it to happpen?

Kingetter
09-Aug-06, 13:26
I was trying to get a date for that - did I miss one or what?