PDA

View Full Version : The Population

billmoseley
14-Nov-10, 13:23
i feel a lot of the worlds problems these days are caused by over population. We are out stripping what this poor planet can provide,but how can we control the population which surely we must do to survive? do we cure to many diseases? do we control the birth rate? are we heading for a major war? i would love to know your views. please respect other peoples views.
I think we should limit children to 2 per couple. also cut down on fertility treatment. i also think maybe let mother nature take its toll on us more. But their my views

teddybear1873
14-Nov-10, 13:37
i feel a lot of the worlds problems these days are caused by over population. We are out stripping what this poor planet can provide,but how can we control the population which surely we must do to survive? do we cure to many diseases? do we control the birth rate? are we heading for a major war? i would love to know your views. please respect other peoples views.
I think we should limit children to 2 per couple. also cut down on fertility treatment. i also think maybe let mother nature take its toll on us more. But their my views

Isn't the world suppose to end in 2012, problem solved.

orkneycadian
14-Nov-10, 13:38
There is no doubt about it, we are on a spiral of some sort at the moment. Help more people ultimately means more people to be helped.

The meteoric rise in population, and how that is projected to continue to about 10 billion, coupled with dwindling resources suggest to me that either in the future everyone will be in abject poverty, or the projected population growth must slow or even be reversed.

billmoseley
14-Nov-10, 14:18
what worries me is that we just blindly seem to carry on. surely it's not just us that see's there is a problem

squidge
14-Nov-10, 14:54
I believe that the latest information showed that family size was 1.9 children per couple in the uk with Scotland slightly higher at 2.1 per couple.

So we are there or thereabouts already.

Says she with FIVE children lol

Ricco
14-Nov-10, 15:31
My limit would be one child per couple. Interesting question - one that has been debated for a couple of decades.

When I was studying Science A level we noticed that the rats and locusts had population plateaus. Once the pop'n reached saturation point fighting, cannablism and infanticide started. Populations then crashed. With respect of the locusts disease took over and you could say goodbye to the batch and had to start again. With the rats we had to kill off the older males and females and then let the population start again.

I would say that the human pop'n must be reaching or beyond its natural saturation point, so.... what might be coming our way?? :eek:

Blarney
14-Nov-10, 15:32
Natural disasters such as earthquakes, tsunamis, volcanic eruptions, famine and disease used to control the world's population. Think back to biblical times and what happened to Sodom and Gomorrah. Perhaps God sent Aids to sort out the rampant homosexuality in the developing countries?? If research hadn't been carried out on this awful disease maybe many more would die from it. Advances in medicine and IVF treatments have enabled others to live longer or to procreate when previously it would have been impossible.
Sophisticated sensory equipment now predicts when an earthquake or eruption is likely giving inhabitants of the area a better chance of fleeing to safety. In a nutshell we have destroyed the natural balance of life through technological advances.

Commore
14-Nov-10, 16:13
Natural disasters such as earthquakes, tsunamis, volcanic eruptions, famine and disease used to control the world's population. Think back to biblical times and what happened to Sodom and Gomorrah. Perhaps God sent Aids to sort out the rampant homosexuality in the developing countries?? If research hadn't been carried out on this awful disease maybe many more would die from it. Advances in medicine and IVF treatments have enabled others to live longer or to procreate when previously it would have been impossible.
Sophisticated sensory equipment now predicts when an earthquake or eruption is likely giving inhabitants of the area a better chance of fleeing to safety. In a nutshell we have destroyed the natural balance of life through technological advances.

and Mr. Cameron doing business with China, and the bible says the yellow man takes over the world,
oops off topc again :(

Bazeye
14-Nov-10, 16:17
At the time of Live Aid the population of Ethiopia was about 30 million, it has trebled since then. I blame Bob Geldoff.

changilass
14-Nov-10, 16:57
Jeez, never knew they made them so energetic in Ireland.

changilass
14-Nov-10, 17:00
Let's just be done with it and go for euthanasia at 60.

That way the population would all be of working age and no need for pension provisions either, so population and economics sorted in a oner.

Alice in Blunderland
14-Nov-10, 17:03
Alice best hush on this one ...another mum with five kids :Razz

and yes we have a television ;)

lindsaymcc
14-Nov-10, 17:05
Ill keep quiet too - but only 3 kids here!

changilass
14-Nov-10, 17:05
How very dare you Alice and Lindsay? To the dungeons with ye.

ShelleyCowie
14-Nov-10, 17:11
Athrun + Jay-D and 2 step sons ;) Dont care though. Cant limit it if you already have them :)

joxville
14-Nov-10, 17:19
At the time of Live Aid the population of Ethiopia was about 30 million, it has trebled since then. I blame Bob Geldoff.

Jeez, never knew they made them so energetic in Ireland.

No wonder he looks so bedraggled. :eek:

Famine, pestilence and other natural disasters are a good way of population control, however if it continues to spiral out of control perhaps an enforced control may end up being considered.

I quite fancy being turned into dog food, shame to waste such a perfect piece of meat. :)

billmoseley
14-Nov-10, 17:23
maybe after we are say 65 you no longer get medical treatment for illness es just made comfortable

golach
14-Nov-10, 17:29
maybe after we are say 65 you no longer get medical treatment for illness es just made comfortable

Thats ageist!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![disgust]

golach
14-Nov-10, 17:34
Let's just be done with it and go for euthanasia at 60.

That way the population would all be of working age and no need for pension provisions either, so population and economics sorted in a oner.

'ats it, off the crimbo card list, over 60's can work better than bliddy teenagers, make it compulsory for teenagers to do some form of manual labour, they don't need to be paid, just chained together[lol]
They will be too knackered to get up to hankey pankey, so no unwanted pregnancies, population problem fixed

billmoseley
14-Nov-10, 18:00
sorry didn't mean to be ageist just posting an opinion after all we will all be that age one day and it wil apply to me as much as everyone else :eek:

brandy
14-Nov-10, 18:53
on a serious note look at china. they now have a huge population imbalance.
lots more males to females, and the orphanages are overflowing with female children, which are left to die.
families are imprisoned for breaking the one child rule and women even full term are forced into abortions. that is just the tip of the iceberg though.
there is a need for something, but i dont think that is the way to go.
its just not population we have to look at but our impact on our environment as well.
there are major disasters happening all around us, but nothing catastrophic yet,as to affect the world population.
remember, its all well and good to talk about things like pop. control ect... but as its very far removed from our lives its just that talking.. it wouldnt be so nice if we were living it.

golach
14-Nov-10, 20:28
sorry didn't mean to be ageist just posting an opinion after all we will all be that age one day and it wil apply to me as much as everyone else :eek:

I am past the age you wanted us put down by a few years, so by your opinion I should have been put down years ago ( That may be what some Orgers want) But I am not ready to go yet, got a lot more damage in the cyber world to do yet. [lol]

Bazeye
14-Nov-10, 20:41

You hope.......

ducati
15-Nov-10, 01:14
I think any couple who have gone through life and got quite old without having any children should have their contribution recognised and be given a great big pile of cash :D

anyone.......? hello......

Phill
15-Nov-10, 01:33
Perhaps God sent Aids to sort out the rampant homosexuality in the developing countries??

So rampant homosexuality is fine in developed countries? :confused

Phill
15-Nov-10, 01:35
I think any couple who have gone through life and got quite old without having any children should have their contribution recognised and be given a great big pile of cash :D

I can send you a couple of kids instead, and a dog. If that helps?

trix
15-Nov-10, 01:46
ah da really ken if it maitters much....

'e sun is goin til frazzel 'e earth eventually, an wur all goin til die anyway.....

billmoseley
15-Nov-10, 09:09
I am past the age you wanted us put down by a few years, so by your opinion I should have been put down years ago ( That may be what some Orgers want) But I am not ready to go yet, got a lot more damage in the cyber world to do yet. [lol]

i did say put down i said treatment for illnesses should be with drawn and the the person made comfortable. there is no nice and easy answer to the question but what right have humans got destroy this planet and kill of other species which have as much right to survive as us all because of our greed

onecalledk
15-Nov-10, 09:43
if the general mood of the most of the uk is anything like the mood on some of the posts on the ORG then no much wonder everything seems so bleak !

THe world is in a period of change, the biggest energetic change that has been seen in millions of years. Change breeds fear in people, if we all stood back and saw what was happening as a natural cycle then we wouldnt have all the scare mongering that is alive and well.

Fear breeds more fear. Listening to the disinformation that is in the press and on the tv will have you sucked into the end of the world illusion that is being peddled just now.

If we all worked TOGETHER as one species on the planet then more might get done. If we continue to be divisive and separate ourselves from our fellow human beings then nothing much will change.

We create our own reality. Energy follows thought, if you spend your whole day thinking negative thoughts then wow you will end up have a crap day. We are fed negativity at all times in a variety of places. But how much of it is real and how much of it is COULD BE ? there is a vast difference between something that has actually taken place and something that MIGHT happen.

Division is what works against us. Everyone alive on the planet today has the same needs. We all need to breath air and eat food to survive. EVERYONE that is regardless of the outside packaging. The only difference between people is cosmetic ie the colour of their skin. Underneath we are all skin, bone and sinew. We are all HUMAN.

Perhaps if more people digested this fact and stopped trying to create divisions then we would be in a better place. Communication is the key to this, not assuming things about people but communicating.

The world is changing, whether it is for the better is entirely down to perception and what you actually DO each day. Treat others as you would yourself might be a good start ......

K

orkneycadian
15-Nov-10, 18:54
Good post K.

What I see that will always get in the way of the utopian image of everyone living together in harmony is the genetic and instinctive programming that got us all here in the first place.

Virtually all species, with a few strange exceptions, have a set of traits that are probably their greatest tool in continuation of the species, these including

Will to survive
Will to reproduce
Protectiveness of their offspring (often to the death to ensure the survival of the offspring)
Tribalism and protectiveness of their own tribe, herd, pack or whatever

The human species dull some of these traits (under the guise that we are allegedely civilised!) but pick up some extra ones, like the desire to have material items and covet them.

In the wild, life is a pretty hard existence. Survival of the fittest is the daily reality if your a roan antelope on the Serengeti. Not only do you have to escape the paws and claws of those trying to eat you, you have to fight off rivals in your own species for the "right" to reproduce (Sounds a bit like a Saturday night in Kirkwall when the Fusion nighclub comes out! [lol])

Through technology, and a bit of civilisation, we have probably blurred the line between the traditional natural selection of the past, and the utopian dream of the future. The trouble is, its only a blurring, so whilst everyone is living longer, and less (in some continents at least) are dying young , their instinctive desire to reproduce still exists!

Rereading the above, it strikes me how much some humans instinctive nature shows more when they have had a few drinks! Pack behaviour, desire to reproduce, willingness to fight other males for the best reproducing mate - Yep, its all there! :D

So, I doubt we'll all ever live together in perfect harmony, make sure there is enough food for each other, and not nick each others gold. For a start, were genetically programmed to ensure the continuity of our own bloodlines, not that of someone from the other side of the planet. As long as that instinctiveness lives on, the same as it does in virtually every other species, then there will be a heck of a job to keep all of the 10 billion on the planet fighting for the best for their children!

Personnaly, I think its an impossible situation, that can never be resolved the way we would like it to be resolved. Realistically, I think that population control will only ever come about by means we would consider unpleasant (but the roan antelope would consider life) such as cataclysmic natural disaster or some kind of disease that spreads faster than medical science of the day can deal with.
:~(

Ricco
15-Nov-10, 20:30

I'm with you on this one, Ducati. :lol:

Blarney
15-Nov-10, 23:18
So rampant homosexuality is fine in developed countries? :confused
I didn't put that very well did I??!! What I was trying to say was that it was more prevalent in developing countries where they were generally indiscriminate in their choice of sexual partner. :)

redeyedtreefrog
16-Nov-10, 18:28
Kill all the poor!

But seriously, perhaps the Moon or Mars is the answer?

Or a starship?

orkneycadian
16-Nov-10, 20:41
If we can all not get on with each other on a plant this size, cooped up in a tim can, we should all be at each others throats in no time!

George Brims
16-Nov-10, 21:10
I didn't put that very well did I??!! What I was trying to say was that it was more prevalent in developing countries where they were generally indiscriminate in their choice of sexual partner. :)
I wonder if you have any evidence to support that proposition? I was of the impression that developing countries often have more bigotry against homosexuals, though I see it's still alive and well on the org.

Anyway, it's rampant heterosexuality that's causing the population problems.

ducati
16-Nov-10, 22:14
If we can all not get on with each other on a plant this size, cooped up in a tim can, we should all be at each others throats in no time!

Steady, the keys are the little square things :eek:

billmoseley
17-Nov-10, 16:33
some interesting points brought up but no clear solution as i suspected lolol. i personally think we will end up fighting each other and end up killing off this species. the fewer natural resources the more larger countries will covert them and hey presto BOOM.

Logical
18-Nov-10, 16:51
it's rampant heterosexuality that's causing the population problems.

Any suggestions?

onecalledk
18-Nov-10, 17:31
Perhaps if man realised that he cannot control the elements and has no control over nature we would be in a better position. We need to learn to adapt to what is happening on earth, earth is changing physically.

But man in his ego decides that he will carry on regardless. The flooding is an example of this recently. If we continue to build on land that is prone to flooding then we will get flooded when the rains come. When we build on fault lines on the earth, well we get our homes wrecked when there is an earthquake.

We seem to think that we control the earth whilst the reality is the opposite. Consideration for fellow man, fellow animals etc would go a long way to living in a more peaceful world. We are like children let loose in a playground with little respect for rules of that playground.

You have more oil than I do, thats not fair, give it to me ..... at this point you thunder across the playground attacking the other child or in the "real" world you wage war on the country that has something you dont .....

The squabbles for who has more is wreaking havoc across the planet. Its obscene that in the 21st century there are people who are starving whilst some countries throw away food that could feed them. The BALANCE on the planet is all wrong and needs to be addressed.

It comes down to how we respect others and ourselves. Whilst we view others with contempt and "HOW DARE THAT PERSON HAVE MORE" ,we will get nowhere.

K

George Brims
18-Nov-10, 18:20
Any suggestions?

Well my previous remark was a bit flippant. On a more serious note, it has been noted from many countries that the birth rate drops when health care improves (lowering child mortality), when women are educated, and when women are given more control over their sexuality and generally given a more equal role in society. This addresses the issue of the birth rate in developing countries. However there is also the issue of the amount of resources consumed by each person. One person in the US is using up the resources of twelve elsewhere. So we better do something about that too.

ducati
18-Nov-10, 20:51
One person in the US is using up the resources of twelve elsewhere. So we better do something about that too.

Good luck with that George.

George Brims
18-Nov-10, 20:54
Well the LA auto show is full of new electric and hybrid cars this week. People are getting much better at things like recycling and conserving energy here. Just not fast enough.

ducati
18-Nov-10, 20:59
Well the LA auto show is full of new electric and hybrid cars this week. People are getting much better at things like recycling and conserving energy here. Just not fast enough.

That's because the Gov. made it a condition of bailout funds that they had to design, build and market such contraptions. They are not seriously expecting anyone to buy them. [lol]

The only way the car industry could possibly help the planet would be to stop building cars today and go away.

John Little
18-Nov-10, 22:11
Bill is absolutely right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmEosykOesE

teddybear1873
18-Nov-10, 23:43
Well my previous remark was a bit flippant. On a more serious note, it has been noted from many countries that the birth rate drops when health care improves (lowering child mortality), when women are educated, and when women are given more control over their sexuality and generally given a more equal role in society. This addresses the issue of the birth rate in developing countries. However there is also the issue of the amount of resources consumed by each person. One person in the US is using up the resources of twelve elsewhere. So we better do something about that too.

Thats the way George, blame the females for the population lol.

Nacho
19-Nov-10, 00:05
Thats the way George, blame the females for the population lol.

the politicians should also shoulder some of the blame

the proposed assisted suicide bill has just been kicked out the park

i was hoping the Scottish parliament would make the brave choice and pass this bill :(

Bazeye
19-Nov-10, 00:28

‘In poorer rural areas especially, one of the biggest sources of refugees is land degradation and desertification, which may be caused by unsustainable land use interacting with climate change, amplified by population growth.’
“Take out the 'interacting with climate change' propaganda part and the truth remains — land degradation and desertification caused by unsustainable land use, which is not 'amplified' but solely caused by population growth.
“The Third World — all the countries expected to produce these 'environmental refugees' — have stupendous birth rates which are causing their populations to rocket beyond what their countries can sustain.
“It is sheer weight of numbers that is causing 'creeping environmental deterioration' — except there is nothing 'creeping' about it — I would think that a more apt term would be 'galloping'.
“These Third World populations are exploding at such a rate that the lands they live in cannot sustain such numbers, they therefore spread into areas that are totally unsuitable for human habitation, or they destabilise the environment that they occupy by overuse of natural resources.
“Much of the environmental damage caused by exploding human populations, such as deforestation, itself causes further environmental damage, such as soil erosion and aridity - all of which makes the land less able to sustain any human habitation let alone a continually expanding one.
“A reasonable person has to wonder at the mentality of the politicians from the Lib/Lab/Con parties who peddle this 'Climate Change' propaganda while ignoring the true threat to our planet — Third World populations which are expanding at such devastating rates that they are overwhelming the natural resources of earth.
“Not only ignoring the problem but, with their encouragement of the industrialisation of countries like China (population 1 billion) and India (population of 1.15 billion — expected to grow to 1.53 billion by 2030 - 20 years time!), the policies of these politicians are only supporting the very problems that they tell us that they want to avoid.
“Take a look at these frightening numbers to get the truth about what threatens human survival on our planet:
“The population of India in 1947 was 350 million, in 2010 it is 1.15 billion and is expected to be 1.53 billion in 20 years time. Between 1947 and 2010, India's population had increased by 3 times.
“A similar population growth in the UK (without mass immigration) would mean that we would have approximately 150 million people living here. Completely unsustainable.
“The population of Turkey was approximately 18 million in the 1940's and in 2010 reached approximately 75 million and according to the United Nations Population Fund forecast will reach 100 million people by 2050 — so Turkey's population would have grown by over 5 times in 100 years.
“A comparative growth in the population of the UK (approximately 50 million in 1950) would mean that our population would number over 250 million by 2050. Completely unsustainable.
“Africa's population in 1950 was approximately 230 million — it has now passed the 1 billion mark (in 2009) and is estimated to reach 2 billion by 2050 so it will have doubled in 40 short years but over the 100 years between 1950 and 2050, the population would have grown by approximately 8 times!
“A similar population growth in Britain would give us a population of 400 million by 2050 — again, completely unsustainable.
“And Ethiopia — the arid country that couldn't feed its 35 million population in 1985 — is expected to have a population of nearly 174 million by 2050, an approximate increase of 5 times in 65 years.
“That is the problem causing environmental deterioration and devastation and which will lead to 'environmental refugees' arriving in our homeland, like locusts who have destroyed their own homelands through over population and who will cause the same devastation in Britain if we allow it.
“I have a theory about why the world's politicians, including those in the Lib/Lab/Con parties, don't mention this horrendous problem facing the planet.
“They know about the depletion of resources — particularly oil — and that shortages of all the necessities of life will soon become a reality for the majority of the planet's population.
“Shortages in turn lead to massive increases in prices. In 20 years or less, food, water and energy will be scarce and expensive and billions will die from starvation.
“Following on from shortages will be mass civil strife, and with starvation and civil strife, most ordinary people won't stand a chance of survival.
“Only the very wealthy and powerful will stand a chance — and guess where the politicians of the world have positioned themselves? Right up there among the rich and powerful.
“That's why they don't bother mentioning the real threat to our planet and mankind's survival — they really don't care and are too busy making sure that they and their families are among those that do survive.”

onecalledk
19-Nov-10, 10:45
how much food does an average UK family throw in the bin every week ? how much food does a US family throw out every week?

The last post mentioned population and how it is increasing, we cannot just blame the third world countries for reproducing, in 3rd world countries the average life span age is about half of a developed country, so yes they are reproducing but dying faster as well.

Supermarkets in the US and the UK in fact probably in every developed country tempt us to buy one get one free. We think this is a great deal until we realise that we have bought too much or not got round to eating it and its thrown out. There are millions of poounds wasted on food every year in this country, hate to think how much it is in the US.

We throw out just as much as we consume. If people shopped like they used to ie when they needed it and actually realised how much they eat compared to how much they come home with after all the advertising has pulled them in then perhaps we would also get on better.

We live now in a disposable world, we havent always done this, this has crept in over the past few decades. This shouldnt be just about population control but about balance.

We in the UK are heading the same way as the US with obesity levels climbing. Its seems obscene in a world where some people have nothing to eat where others are dying because they have consumed too much.

Everything in moderation and none of this MUST HAVE would go some way to redressing the balance.

THe US which I keep coming back to because they consume something mad like 10 times the amount than the poorest people on the planet seem to have NO concept of moderation. This filters throught to the UK where we have kids overweight, adults dying from being overweight etc etc....

So remember when talking about the population of other countries how much your own and the US CONSUME every day.

K

Better Out Than In
19-Nov-10, 13:29
As a non-smoking, vegitarian (80% less land use and less methane) with no pets, no children, home grown food, wood heated house and whom only empties dustbin every 6 weeks or longer, whom mostly cycles to work, and lives in a converted croft with no street lights - the exponential growth in world population is a big worry. Ever read "limits to growth"? Of course if you take the need to control populations to its logical limit we would have to kill ourselves.

The answer is straight forward. Everyone should be neutered at birth except for those specially selected to breed. That would be intelligent, fit, good looking, happy, funny folk like myself - whom would be more than prepared to do the business with similar of opposite sex. Any takers?

ducati
19-Nov-10, 13:59
‘In poorer rural areas especially, one of the biggest sources of refugees is land degradation and desertification, which may be caused by unsustainable land use interacting with climate change, amplified by population growth.’
“Take out the 'interacting with climate change' propaganda part and the truth remains — land degradation and desertification caused by unsustainable land use, which is not 'amplified' but solely caused by population growth.
“The Third World — all the countries expected to produce these 'environmental refugees' — have stupendous birth rates which are causing their populations to rocket beyond what their countries can sustain.
“It is sheer weight of numbers that is causing 'creeping environmental deterioration' — except there is nothing 'creeping' about it — I would think that a more apt term would be 'galloping'.
“These Third World populations are exploding at such a rate that the lands they live in cannot sustain such numbers, they therefore spread into areas that are totally unsuitable for human habitation, or they destabilise the environment that they occupy by overuse of natural resources.
“Much of the environmental damage caused by exploding human populations, such as deforestation, itself causes further environmental damage, such as soil erosion and aridity - all of which makes the land less able to sustain any human habitation let alone a continually expanding one.
“A reasonable person has to wonder at the mentality of the politicians from the Lib/Lab/Con parties who peddle this 'Climate Change' propaganda while ignoring the true threat to our planet — Third World populations which are expanding at such devastating rates that they are overwhelming the natural resources of earth.
“Not only ignoring the problem but, with their encouragement of the industrialisation of countries like China (population 1 billion) and India (population of 1.15 billion — expected to grow to 1.53 billion by 2030 - 20 years time!), the policies of these politicians are only supporting the very problems that they tell us that they want to avoid.
“Take a look at these frightening numbers to get the truth about what threatens human survival on our planet:
“The population of India in 1947 was 350 million, in 2010 it is 1.15 billion and is expected to be 1.53 billion in 20 years time. Between 1947 and 2010, India's population had increased by 3 times.
“A similar population growth in the UK (without mass immigration) would mean that we would have approximately 150 million people living here. Completely unsustainable.
“The population of Turkey was approximately 18 million in the 1940's and in 2010 reached approximately 75 million and according to the United Nations Population Fund forecast will reach 100 million people by 2050 — so Turkey's population would have grown by over 5 times in 100 years.
“A comparative growth in the population of the UK (approximately 50 million in 1950) would mean that our population would number over 250 million by 2050. Completely unsustainable.
“Africa's population in 1950 was approximately 230 million — it has now passed the 1 billion mark (in 2009) and is estimated to reach 2 billion by 2050 so it will have doubled in 40 short years but over the 100 years between 1950 and 2050, the population would have grown by approximately 8 times!
“A similar population growth in Britain would give us a population of 400 million by 2050 — again, completely unsustainable.
“And Ethiopia — the arid country that couldn't feed its 35 million population in 1985 — is expected to have a population of nearly 174 million by 2050, an approximate increase of 5 times in 65 years.
“That is the problem causing environmental deterioration and devastation and which will lead to 'environmental refugees' arriving in our homeland, like locusts who have destroyed their own homelands through over population and who will cause the same devastation in Britain if we allow it.
“I have a theory about why the world's politicians, including those in the Lib/Lab/Con parties, don't mention this horrendous problem facing the planet.
“They know about the depletion of resources — particularly oil — and that shortages of all the necessities of life will soon become a reality for the majority of the planet's population.
“Shortages in turn lead to massive increases in prices. In 20 years or less, food, water and energy will be scarce and expensive and billions will die from starvation.
“Following on from shortages will be mass civil strife, and with starvation and civil strife, most ordinary people won't stand a chance of survival.
“Only the very wealthy and powerful will stand a chance — and guess where the politicians of the world have positioned themselves? Right up there among the rich and powerful.
“That's why they don't bother mentioning the real threat to our planet and mankind's survival — they really don't care and are too busy making sure that they and their families are among those that do survive.”

Foreigners giving you trouble again Baz?

Could there be anything in the fact that all these countries were taken over by colonial powers, stripped of their natural resources and assets, then left to get on with life with nothing? Ooh! Might be our fault. :eek:

Logical
19-Nov-10, 14:04
There are easily enough nuclear weapons to wipe out the majority - if not all human beings alive.

So, when China or Russia (whoever goes first) decides to take over the world and America has none of it, all the nuclear weapons will be unleashed and the majority of mankind will be destroyed. Any survivors can create a utopian society, and for the first part ,breed like rabbits until the world is as perfect as you all want it to be.

In the event that we all die, we can simply evolve into much stronger tougher beings.

Problem solved.
Your welcome.

John Little
19-Nov-10, 14:06

Could there be anything in the fact that all these countries were taken over by colonial powers, stripped of their natural resources and assets, then left to get on with life with nothing? Ooh! Might be our fault.

You getting radical Duke?? :eek:

onecalledk
19-Nov-10, 14:15
There are easily enough nuclear weapons to wipe out the majority - if not all human beings alive.

So, when China or Russia (whoever goes first) decides to take over the world and America has none of it, all the nuclear weapons will be unleashed and the majority of mankind will be destroyed. Any survivors can create a utopian society, and for the first part ,breed like rabbits until the world is as perfect as you all want it to be.

In the event that we all die, we can simply evolve into much stronger tougher beings.

Problem solved.
Your welcome.

no one talking about creating a perfect world, humans are not perfect so that would never be achieved. The amount of blame that is shunted from country to country doesnt help either. WE have created this, WE as in the human race. Perhaps if everyone thought further than themselves then it might get sorted.

But then that would involve actually DOING something and its far easier to sit back and moan about how other people are making a mess of things ....

sigh
K

Logical
19-Nov-10, 14:19
no one talking about creating a perfect world, humans are not perfect so that would never be achieved. The amount of blame that is shunted from country to country doesnt help either. WE have created this, WE as in the human race. Perhaps if everyone thought further than themselves then it might get sorted.

But then that would involve actually DOING something and its far easier to sit back and moan about how other people are making a mess of things ....

sigh
K

I definitely agree that as humans the blame is put on a nation when collectively we are all part of the human race.

Unfortunately, as much as we want it, we cant change the way the world is ruled and has been since time began.

onecalledk
19-Nov-10, 15:04
i would beg to differ, its THINKING that it cannot be done that is the problem. If everyone started to take control of how they shop, live their lives etc then something would NEED to change.

There is an article in the Inverness Courier today about ASDA online charging more for delivery to the highlands, people will take time to respond to the article by posting their complaints but until people STOP buying then the company will keep charging.....

Little things like that spiral into bigger things. The uk in general is a nation to complain but NOT to take direct action about much. #

But the UK is fed the story of how we dont have time to do anything about anything! We are too busy working and consuming the stuff that we are being programed to buy to stop and think what is ACTUALLY happening all around us. As we buy more and more into the technology and the media that is being drip fed into our homes we become more and more distracted and less and less aware of things that are happening until we are so deeply into it we cannot see a way out of it......

Technology is beginning to rule us instead of the other way around. We are bombarded with information nearly 24hrs a day every day of the year. If we switched off for a day and gathered our thoughts about what is really happening then we might act differently.

Mobile phones - do we need a new model every 6 months ? if we do then WHY? and what do we do with the ones that are "no use" to us after 6 months. ....

Cars - do we need a new one every 6 months/a year? if so WHY ? and what do we do with the ones we already have ?

the list is endless, we are consuming at an ever increasing rate on things that we dont ACTUALLY need at all. With relation to cars yes I will agree that we need them but dont need to change them all the time do we ?

Apply that to everything that you can see in your home and you will get some idea of the nonsense that is advertising to make us consume to plunge the world into more chaos........

It starts as soon as you open your eyes and turn on the tv/radio ......

K

ducati
19-Nov-10, 16:34
You getting radical Duke?? :eek:

Yeah, radical me.

Power to a certain element of the people!

Caithnessians against everything :cool:

Bazeye
19-Nov-10, 20:01

Could there be anything in the fact that all these countries were taken over by colonial powers, stripped of their natural resources and assets, then left to get on with life with nothing? Ooh! Might be our fault. :eek:

I'm not old enough for it to be my fault and most of the populations doubling or trebling or whatever have happened since they became independent

ecb
20-Nov-10, 19:29
There is a charity with distinguished patrons, called the "Optimum Population Trust":

http://www.optimumpopulation.org/

An extract from their web site:

" ... The Optimum Population Trust believes that Earth may not be able to support more than half its present numbers before the end of this century, and that the UK's long-term sustainable population level may be lower than 30 million. ... ".