PDA

View Full Version : Passing a test in Caithness

porshiepoo
13-Nov-10, 17:08
I've wondered for a while now, if a person pases their driving test in Caithness how do they cope when they take a long journey out to say Inverness and come across major roads and loads of vehicles?

My daughters will soon be taking driving tests and I must admit I've always been a tad worried that passing a test up here may not give them the experience they need to cope with biger cities and roundabouts.
Passing a test may give them the confidence to assume they can cope but will they really?

lindsaymcc
13-Nov-10, 17:12
I cant really answer your question, but I think it works both ways! I learnt to drive in a large town (that I was familiar with) with lots of traffic and main roads and roundabouts, and yet, I hate the country roads here! Im a real dual carriageway/motorway driver! On the other hand, my husband loves country roads and the lack of traffic here.

My mum learnt to drive in Thurso in the days before traffic lights were in the town, and although she spent most of her adult life in a larger town, she wasnt what I would call a confident driver - she loved coming "home" to drive the roads she knew!

Dadie
13-Nov-10, 17:19
I hate driving in a big place...not because of all the cars..traffic lanes...roundabouts (inc double roundabouts)thats all ok... but because I lack even basic direction sense!
I need to have my hubby or another person sitting next to me telling me where to go....I dont trust the sat nav too much!:lol:

EDDIE
13-Nov-10, 17:20
Even if your daughter did learn and pass a test in a city if she is not driving in that environment all the time her experience in that environment will get rusty

billmoseley
13-Nov-10, 17:29
i have often wondered this my self. when you get to some of the larger cities your sometime have 5 lanes of fast moving traffic a lot of impatient drivers it must be terrifying for some drivers. but what is the answer they have passed their test and are deemed competent to drive

teddybear1873
13-Nov-10, 17:33
The quicker she drives in a big town, the more confidence she will get. I remember when I drove in London, I was a tad worried, but it went good. Later I went to Birmingham and thought this is going to be easy as I previously drove in London, I was wrong. Birmingham was a nightmare.

My advice is be a passenger in the car and take a trip to Inverness. Roundabouts are easy, if your not sure what lane to be in, stick to the middle one, then it's easier to get to either the left or right side.

Mirror...........Signal..........Manoeuvre

Tilly Teckel
13-Nov-10, 17:38
I know there's a Pass Plus course which can be taken. My instructor has the pupil drive to Inverness, around the city for a while then back. I think it costs £120 but there's some scheme where you can claim back £100 of the cost. Not 100% sure of these details but instructors up here are in the know.

changilass
13-Nov-10, 17:41
You could always arrange a couple of hours instruction with a school in Inverness, once she has passed.

I know when I passed my test in Leeds (many moons ago) they offered you motorway driving if you wanted it at a later date.

I got past this by setting off an hour after my test and driving all the way up to Thurso.

northener
13-Nov-10, 17:55
There's a number of ways to get round this - as listed above.

Pass Plus is one option - or just book a day with your ADI down to Inversnecky.

I re-brief on overtaking before leaving Caithness, then we pull over and have a chat about multi-lane roads and roundabouts before going out to play on them. Lotsa heavy traffic work around Inverness, a bite to eat, a coffee break and then home.

Or book a couple of hours with a decent ADI in Inverness.

It can be challenging for new drivers on their first 'big trip', but stay calm, have plenty of breaks and make sure you understand what you are meant to be doing BEFORE getting involved with it!:Razz

Dadie
13-Nov-10, 18:43
Ahh...but what can I do with my lack of direction sense??
I can and have done...gone the wrong way when exiting the Skiach..ending up back the way I came:eek:

orkneycadian
13-Nov-10, 18:45

Take the bus?

Kodiak
13-Nov-10, 18:48

Go and buy a Good Sat-Nav, then you only have to follow the instructions given, Simples. :Razz

htwood
13-Nov-10, 18:53
You could go with them the first few times. I was a passenger when my daughters first drove on the motorways, and I kept with it until I felt they were confident. They are better drivers than me now!

Phill
13-Nov-10, 19:01
There's a bit of psychology going on as well, if you start thinking it's a 'big city' or 'busy roads' and 'lots of traffic' you could be stressing yourself out before you start.

The roads are the same, the rules are the same. You've passed your test so you must be capable.

(Motorways excepted of course*)

We're all different in our confidence levels but if you are really not sure, as stated already, book some pass plus lessons.

*Can't go wrong on motorways, as teddybear says Mirror, Signal, Manouevre.
Pay attention, stay alert and use ALL the lanes appropriately.

Hoida
13-Nov-10, 19:47
When our son passed in Thurso he then did the Pass plus course in Thurso. When it cam eto him getting insurance in his own name the insurance company took in to consideration his Pass Plus certificate and got a good deal.

EDDIE
13-Nov-10, 19:53
The quicker she drives in a big town, the more confidence she will get. I remember when I drove in London, I was a tad worried, but it went good. Later I went to Birmingham and thought this is going to be easy as I previously drove in London, I was wrong. Birmingham was a nightmare.

My advice is be a passenger in the car and take a trip to Inverness. Roundabouts are easy, if your not sure what lane to be in, stick to the middle one, then it's easier to get to either the left or right side.

Teddddy honestly thats the worst advice i have heard on how to go through a round about

northener
13-Nov-10, 19:59
When our son passed in Thurso he then did the Pass plus course in Thurso. When it cam eto him getting insurance in his own name the insurance company took in to consideration his Pass Plus certificate and got a good deal.

I feel I ought to point out that the Pass Plus course is only available for under 25's. To be honest, the discounts offered by insurance companies for PP are getting scarcer. And the takeup by students is abysmally low. I honestly can't see the scheme lasting much longer with any insurance discounts in place.

It can be a real problem for new drivers up here to get experience of busier roads, slip roads, overtaking etc. It frightens me that some people can have passed their test without ever having driven in the dark, overtaken a car or (if you've taken your test in Thurso), even used a mini roundabout.
But at least they understand passing places, pedestrian crossings, appropriate speed, sensible parking and rural driving a damn sight better than many.:Razz

I find that plenty of students say they are interested in post-test training...until they have passed their test, that is.

northener
13-Nov-10, 20:02

Roundabouts are easy, if your not sure what lane to be in, stick to the middle one, then it's easier to get to either the left or right side.

Perhaps reading the signs on approach may avoid this problem, T.;):Razz

pottheed
13-Nov-10, 20:51
I learnt to drive with brian and he showed me diagrams on how to do roundabouts, I watched a few video's on youtube, and I was fine. That was 2 years ago I have driven round the EU on autobahns etc, and not crashed at all :)

Was a bit nervous about first roundabout tho!

ducati
13-Nov-10, 21:11
My advice to less confident drivers is to drive really slowly with your face as close to the windscreen as possible, every time you feel particularly nervous, just dab the brakes a few times and you'll be fine.

I've watched youtchoube videos too, and now I can drive like a bat out of hell :eek:

teddybear1873
13-Nov-10, 22:15
Teddddy honestly thats the worst advice i have heard on how to go through a round about

Lol....So your in a 5 lane roundabout, your stuck in the right lane but need to get in the left, makes sense. Works for me.

onecalledk
13-Nov-10, 22:40
is it not a bit unfair on the pupil to pass a test in an area that has no roundabouts, hardly any traffic lights etc ?

I passed my test in Inverness, have to say that sometimes approaching the roundabout from culloden into inshes gives me flashbacks but I still thought that perhaps Inverness wasnt big enough to get that much experience in.

If a pupil in a city is expected to navigate roundabouts, cope with multi lanes etc then why is it not expected of EVERY pupil?

Driving tests are surely to make sure people are safe drivers and able to cope with driving on their own, so if that is the case surely they should try to be as equal as possible, if you see what I mean ?

K

Leanne
13-Nov-10, 22:54
(inc double roundabouts)

Just double? My home town has two 4 lane round-abouts! I have been on a 5 lane one too - that was pretty horrific! Most of the big ones have the roads/towns marked on the roads and signs above so easy peasy

http://www.webbaviation.co.uk/gallery/d/26128-1/M60MotorwayAir-MG9426.jpg

Edit - the scary ones are the roundabouts joined onto round abouts and roundabouts within roundabouts! :eek:

This one in particular is horrific!

http://www.splicetoday.com/vault/posts/0000/7157/msn-magic-roundabout-470x350-tm_large.jpg?1234151833

porshiepoo
13-Nov-10, 23:37
Just double? My home town has two 4 lane round-abouts! I have been on a 5 lane one too - that was pretty horrific! Most of the big ones have the roads/towns marked on the roads and signs above so easy peasy

Edit - the scary ones are the roundabouts joined onto round abouts and roundabouts within roundabouts!

This one in particular is horrific!

http://www.splicetoday.com/vault/posts/0000/7157/msn-magic-roundabout-470x350-tm_large.jpg?1234151833

Jeepers that is just bizarre! How the heck......... :eek:
Whereabouts is it?

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
13-Nov-10, 23:42
Simple let them drive south on L plates under supervision , I was 17 at start o June and drove to highland show a fortnight later!! Best way to learn!!

teddybear1873
13-Nov-10, 23:56
Well at leas in the UK you have roundabouts, which I find safe to drive in. Here in the deep south, we have the dredded death middle death lane. It's a free for all and man have I seen some major accidents.

Leanne
14-Nov-10, 00:14
Whereabouts is it?

Ha ha dunno - was searching the pyramid roundabout pic (the other one) and that came up - illustrates perfectly how ludicrous roundabouts can be!

The latest one in England is to have a mini roundabout at every point a sideroad joins a main road in a housing estate - supposedly to make it easier and safer to actually get on the road. In reality it causes gridlock :(

Scarybiscuits03
14-Nov-10, 00:33
Whereabouts is it?

That's the magic roundabout in Swindon - proper scary!! Madly it works![lol]

northener
14-Nov-10, 09:29
is it not a bit unfair on the pupil to pass a test in an area that has no roundabouts, hardly any traffic lights etc ?

I passed my test in Inverness, have to say that sometimes approaching the roundabout from culloden into inshes gives me flashbacks but I still thought that perhaps Inverness wasnt big enough to get that much experience in.

If a pupil in a city is expected to navigate roundabouts, cope with multi lanes etc then why is it not expected of EVERY pupil?

Driving tests are surely to make sure people are safe drivers and able to cope with driving on their own, so if that is the case surely they should try to be as equal as possible, if you see what I mean ?

K

Very true.

But reality and logistics have to play a part.

It would be unworkable to expect every single student to tramp from all over the far North of Scotland to Inverness for their test. It's down to instructors in the Far North to play their part - but we cannot force students to take extra training once they have passed their test.

Vistravi
14-Nov-10, 13:06
I feel I ought to point out that the Pass Plus course is only available for under 25's. To be honest, the discounts offered by insurance companies for PP are getting scarcer. And the takeup by students is abysmally low. I honestly can't see the scheme lasting much longer with any insurance discounts in place.

It can be a real problem for new drivers up here to get experience of busier roads, slip roads, overtaking etc. It frightens me that some people can have passed their test without ever having driven in the dark, overtaken a car or (if you've taken your test in Thurso), even used a mini roundabout.
But at least they understand passing places, pedestrian crossings, appropriate speed, sensible parking and rural driving a damn sight better than many.:Razz

I find that plenty of students say they are interested in post-test training...until they have passed their test, that is.

Yes my partner and i were worried about that for me. Also one of my cloesest friends who lives in inverness was aghast that you could pass your test up here wihtout ever been on a roundabout or dual carriage way.
I never wanted to be just test standard and my partner has taught me everything else my instructor has not such as how to tackle roundabouts, night time driving(which i love! lol) how to overtake safely and how to negotaite dual carriageways.
I did 3 hours of night time driivng to ness on our way down south and then some driving between perth and inverness. Unfortuantly not for long as it was the first time doing roundabouts and dual carriageways in our new car we had got the day before. I did well i think and next time i do it again i won't be so scared and unsure of what i'm doing.
I feel that i must be more than test standard as i never want to be a driver that is too scared to drive out of caithness. Considering that i have driven to inverness twice now and given south driivng my best shot i don't think i will be.
But for my test i only have to completly master reverse park maneovure. i'm sure that it will be mastered in time for my test. The daftest thing is that i can do it in my instructors car but can't do in ours :lol: And our new car is even longer than our last:roll: