PDA

View Full Version : Vote for 'Balls Off and Spay Day Campaign'

Sarah
13-Nov-10, 00:41
Have any of you been watching Animal Madhouse on CH.4? They are trying to get a Balls Off and Spay Day Campaign going, to raise awareness of neutering in animals.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/animal-madhouse/articles/balls-off-and-spay-day-campaign

Animal Madhouse is launching a national campaign aimed at educating the public on the importance of neutering pets. A survey carried out by the production company (Maverick TV) showed that over a quarter of pet owners had not neutered their animal. Of these, 30 per cent believed that neutering was an unnecessary procedure. More shockingly, 48 per cent of people asked were unaware of the numerous health benefits associated with the procedure.

Neutering is an important way of controlling the animal population. It also offers up many health benefits for dogs, cats and other small animals such as rabbits.

Spaying is the neutering of female animals whereby the womb and ovaries are removed. Male animals are castrated meaning that their testicles are removed. Neutering is a straightforward operation carried out at your veterinary practice. The procedure is performed under general anaesthetic and the animals usually recovery quickly.

The cost of neutering depends on the species, size and sex of your pet. Prices vary up and down the country. There are also numerous organisations that offer subsidised or free neutering for eligible clients. Ask your vet for more information.

Now I know there are certain people who do not agree with this, but personally, I think in a lot of cases, there's no reason for the average house pet to be entire. If you agree, please vote!

demac-artist
13-Nov-10, 01:37
thanks for the link totally agree with the neuter policy only breeders should be exempt. Got my dog done as soon as he was old enough you get done. Cost me £70 in total and the local vets are brilliant about it.

You get enough dogs wandering as a female has come on heat, not really safe as you end up with escaping wandering dogs and freaked out owners also some owner finds out that no matter how careful they have been they end up with a pregnant dog and wondering what to do with the puppies.

Keep up the awareness
Deanne

brandy
13-Nov-10, 06:14
i also agree with spay and neuter.
our cat is now 10 years old, and she was spayed at just about a year. since she goes outside just think about how many litters she could have possibly had!
spot is next on the list to get the snip.
i just dont see the point of pets breeding randomly.
there is no cause for it as there are so many unwanted and abandoned animals.

bullielove
13-Nov-10, 11:06
Im in the spaying camp absolutely - there are plenty of dogs being killed everyday without producing more unplanned / unwanted litters. Both of mine were 'done' as soon as it was possible to do so as I didn't want to take the risk of any accidents and there was absolutely no reason for them to keep their bits intact. Also better for the health of the dog too.

I will go and vote on the link now - cheers Sarah ;)

_Ju_
13-Nov-10, 11:52
Spaying females, especially dogs, before their first season dramatically reduces the incidence of mamary cancers, so there is not only the advantage of controlling reproductive behaviours. (In dogs mamary cancers are reduced by 97% if spayed before first season- I have always thought that to be an incredible reduction!).

sweetpea
13-Nov-10, 12:28
Thanks for that link. I got my wee doggie 3 months ago and he's just turned 1 so we were saying the other day about getting him done before xmas.
Even though I'm feeling really bad about the op itself I know that in the long run it will be better for him. I got a couple of my rabbits done a while ago so that they could live together.

Liz
13-Nov-10, 13:24
Thanks for that Sarah and have voted.

I completely agree with Bullielove in that only breeders should be exempt from neutering/spaying. Maybe there wouldn't be so many poor souls in rescue centres if this was the case!:(

Also, as _Ju_ says, it prevents mammary cancer in bitches. As I have told you before I had an elderly dog who hadn't been neutered (on the advice of a vet) and he developed prostatitis and thought I was going to lose him after the op.
All my cats and dogs are neutered/spayed as soon as they are old enough.

mop top
13-Nov-10, 14:17
Thanks for that Sarah I have voted.

Perhaps if more people would start taking responsibility for their pets and not allowing them to have accidents! it would really cut down on the amount of animals being chucked out into the street when the novelty of the lovely little cross breed puppy wears off, or it keeps growing and is too big for the little house they live in!

I know cos i usually end up picking them up of the streets, and worrying about finding them new homes[evil]

Maybe the people against spaying and neutering should spend a week working alongside me and see the consequences of their lax attitude to unplanned matings.

This is not a go at anyone just the opinion of someone who sees first hand what can happen to dumped dogs day in day out. Dogs dont have a voice only humans can speak up for them. So well done everyone on here who is speaking up for neutering and spaying of dogs who are pets and not intended to be bred from.

Dadie
13-Nov-10, 17:01
When we got Poppy dog she had been used for puppies and puppies and guess what... more puppies...before we got her!
She ended up "having a season" before we could get her done...think it was her 1st without having puppies....
But she was done asap afterwards.
Frodo the cat was done as soon as he was mature enough.
Spot the rabbit was done as well.
Chinchin was done when we had the chinchillas so he could share his cage with Emma as they were happy as a pair...
Its not just cats and dogs that benefit from neutering!
Couldnt get mr chipper done as the anesthetic risk was too high for a chipmunk otherwise he would have had the op too!

Sarah
13-Nov-10, 21:18
My dogs and cats are also done, and any in the future I will have done as well! The rabbits had a few issues before, so they haven't been done yet, but as soon as it warms up again, they will be spayed as well. There's just no need!

Thanks to everyone who has voted! I think it would be a really good help to the UK's animal situation.

teenybash
13-Nov-10, 21:43
This week will see me making an appointment for Melody to be spayed... I am now happy with her weight, her flealess condition [only found one] and murdered to death worms....so she is ready now.....Banjo and cats have all been done.:)

Commore
13-Nov-10, 21:50
My dogs and cats are also done, and any in the future I will have done as well! The rabbits had a few issues before, so they haven't been done yet, but as soon as it warms up again, they will be spayed as well. There's just no need!

Thanks to everyone who has voted! I think it would be a really good help to the UK's animal situation.

Thank you too,
I did note that only the best comments will be published, I wonder why?

Sarah
14-Nov-10, 20:35
Thank you too,

What are you getting at? I never actually posted a comment. It was purely for voting. We all know how you feel about neutering, no one said you had to be involved.

Moira
14-Nov-10, 21:01
Have any of you been watching Animal Madhouse on CH.4? They are trying to get a Balls Off and Spay Day Campaign going, to raise awareness of neutering in animals.
http://www.channel4.com/programmes/animal-madhouse/articles/balls-off-and-spay-day-campaign
<snip>
If you agree, please vote!

Thanks for posting this Sarah. I've voted for the Campaign.
Btw my "<snip>" in your quoted post above was an intentional pun. :)

Moira
14-Nov-10, 21:12
Thank you too,
I initially thought your post referred to the Channel4 forum's Moderation rules but I can't see anything which confirms this. Can you explain what you meant please? :confused

changilass
14-Nov-10, 21:23
I also voted for the day.

I think you should need a license to breed, if you don't have one then the choice should be taken out of your hands.

Is there any good reason NOT to do it?

Commore
14-Nov-10, 22:45
What are you getting at? I never actually posted a comment. It was purely for voting. We all know how you feel about neutering, no one said you had to be involved.

I don't know what you are talking about,
I voted, and I posted a comment, what is wrong with that?

Commore
14-Nov-10, 22:48
I initially thought your post referred to the Channel4 forum's Moderation rules but I can't see anything which confirms this. Can you explain what you meant please? :confused

When you post a comment, a wee box pops up and tells you that your comment will be vetted as it were, and says that only the best comments will be published.

Why may I not join in what appears to me to be open for public comments?

Moira
14-Nov-10, 23:39
When you post a comment, a wee box pops up and tells you that your comment will be vetted as it were, and says that only the best comments will be published.
Why may I not join in what appears to me to be open for public comments?

Thanks for that explanation Commore. It would appear to be that this is to do with the Channel4 moderation policy then. Rightly so IMO.

No reason at all, carry on. :)

Commore
15-Nov-10, 10:31
Thanks for that explanation Commore. It would appear to be that this is to do with the Channel4 moderation policy then. Rightly so IMO.

No reason at all, carry on. :)

Thank you.