PDA

View Full Version : Electric Ranges

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
13-Nov-10, 00:05
Has anyone any experience of "country Kitchen" style electric ranges / induction or ceramic hobs?

Town gas not available and too scared of bottle gas lying about outside the house.

Rangemaster Elan is what I reallt like but is it worth the coin?

Phill
13-Nov-10, 00:15
My parents have recently got an induction hob type thingy. Best thing since sliced bread apparently.

sintra307
13-Nov-10, 01:40
I have the rangemaster elan it is worth every penny. it is big and heavy and made to last and looks great as well. mine is the electric ovens with gas hob it come with the jets should you wish to convert to bottle gas. you will not be throwing your money away if you choose one of these. mine is the 110 but i believe they come in a smaller version. if you want to try before you buy you are more than welcome to come and have a look. just send a pm.

theone
13-Nov-10, 02:02
I don't like the look of range cookers to be honest.

As for hobs, I've had a ceramic hob and it was great - very easy to clean.

The big advantage of induction hobs is that they only heat the pan, not the cooker top itself therefore its safe to touch even when turned on. A disadvantage is that you need the correct pans for it to work.

I, personally, would go for a ceramic hob. But the chefs apparently prefer cooking on gas if you can cope with having a bottle. Is it maybe worth considering putting bottles in an enclosure/shed a bit away from your house and piping it in?

I would only go for an induction hob if I had children/pets etc at risk of climbing over the cooker when hot.

sintra307
13-Nov-10, 02:23
the elan is great but consider a viking as well if you have the money to spare now they are really nice. oh and by the way you can get a ceramic topped elan. these cookers are uber efficeint and super cool.

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
13-Nov-10, 09:08
I have the rangemaster elan it is worth every penny. it is big and heavy and made to last and looks great as well. mine is the electric ovens with gas hob it come with the jets should you wish to convert to bottle gas. you will not be throwing your money away if you choose one of these. mine is the 110 but i believe they come in a smaller version. if you want to try before you buy you are more than welcome to come and have a look. just send a pm.

ooh thanks for the offer might do that - the 110 elan is what i'm looking at.... do you know what the lifespan is for it?

the elan is great but consider a viking as well if you have the money to spare now they are really nice. oh and by the way you can get a ceramic topped elan. these cookers are uber efficeint and super cool.

yeah its the induction or ceramic topped elan I was looking at....must go look at viking - dont have money to spare though at moment as doing up a whole house - roof / wiring / full decoration , kit building from imside for an extension that was only single cavity so got our work cut out....BUT since we're doing it now - best to get it done right eh ....