PDA

View Full Version : Your thoughts.....

sandyr1
12-Nov-10, 02:09
Word here is that the UK Pound will be devalued in the not too distant future.
Thoughts please.....Thanks

Shabbychic
12-Nov-10, 02:21
There are many that believe that the only way out of the deficit would be to devalue the pound. Apparently, unlike the Euro, the pound could be devalued, and this would help build up the export industry, and allow the economy to recover.

I think we would have to wait a month or so yet to see what way the economy is going. :)

theone
12-Nov-10, 02:24
I am not an economist and I don't pretend to be an expert, but I can see this happening.

The debt we are in is reason enough.

A lower pound would obviously help exports, so in that sense might boost the economy, but the amount of big industry and manufacturing lost over the years means it will have less of an effect than it might have.

As a consumer, I don't fancy the idea of the price of all the imported goods I buy increasing.

Nacho
12-Nov-10, 02:25
the pound is already devalued

watch the program that was aired tonight ...

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/britains-trillion-pound-horror-story

we are in the shecht

Tubthumper
12-Nov-10, 14:01
we are in the shecht
Only if people believe it...

Our old paper pound used to say 'promise to pay the bearer on demand, the sum of One Pound Sterling', and that promise has always been kept (as long as one doesn't actually ask for one's pound). The 'debt' that has built up is only as real as the 'pound', 'dollar' or 'euro'

Don't worry about it; those who make the money into real things need consumers consuming, so 'they' aren't about to let us all starve. You just need to feel a bit of pain, to make you appreciate your role in the great financial game. :lol:

ducati
12-Nov-10, 14:22
Only if people believe it...

Our old paper pound used to say 'promise to pay the bearer on demand, the sum of One Pound Sterling', and that promise has always been kept (as long as one doesn't actually ask for one's pound). The 'debt' that has built up is only as real as the 'pound', 'dollar' or 'euro'

Don't worry about it; those who make the money into real things need consumers consuming, so 'they' aren't about to let us all starve. You just need to feel a bit of pain, to make you appreciate your role in the great financial game. :lol:

Very succinct, complete ballcocks, but very succinct :lol:

oldchemist
12-Nov-10, 17:32
:confusedI can understand that devaluing the pound would help exports - but - just what does the UK manufacture these days that could be exported?

mrlennie
12-Nov-10, 19:18
:confusedI can understand that devaluing the pound would help exports - but - just what does the UK manufacture these days that could be exported?

hollyoaks?

ducati
12-Nov-10, 21:04

You're kidding, right? http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2010/feb/24/uk-trade-exports-imports

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
12-Nov-10, 22:51
hollyoaks?

classic..............

orkneycadian
13-Nov-10, 01:08
My thoughts are that threads with non descript titles should be banned! Or else posted in in the spirit of what the title says!

On the latter basis, my thoughts then at the moment are - Cheese on toast or oatcakes for supper? Hmmm. Decisions decisions...

theone
13-Nov-10, 01:51
You're kidding, right? http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2010/feb/24/uk-trade-exports-imports

The problem, in my eyes, is that we are falling down the list of exporters.

There's no shame in being behind China or Germany, but when Italy and Holland have overtaken us it shows our decline since the industrial revolution and beyond.

The argument is always about "cheap labour" and how we can't compete. To me that's nonsense. Germany were the biggest exporter up until a couple of years ago when China became number 1. USA number 3.

Wages in Germany are comparable with Britain and, although they have a larger population than us, the difference becomes insignificant in comparison with the populations of China or the USA.

I'm not sure of the cause of our decline though.

sandyr1
13-Nov-10, 02:08
My thoughts are that threads with non descript titles should be banned! Or else posted in in the spirit of what the title says!

On the latter basis, my thoughts then at the moment are - Cheese on toast or oatcakes for supper? Hmmm. Decisions decisions...

Perhaps you could enlighten the unenlightened..Me for one?

orkneycadian
13-Nov-10, 11:01
Aye no problem - Went for the oatcakes in the end as it was quicker than making toast and grilling the cheese!

sandyr1
13-Nov-10, 22:10
Ahhhhh. I see.

ducati
13-Nov-10, 22:54
Aye no problem - Went for the oatcakes in the end as it was quicker than making toast and grilling the cheese!

Oh no contest, it has to be grilled cheese. Oakcakes are fine for breakfast but you need something much more robust after a day in the fields.

orkneycadian
13-Nov-10, 22:57
Actually, I find the cheese on toast to be a bit much of a carb hit at bedtime - 1 hour later and I'm wide awake and raring to go. Oatcakes, meantime, give a much slower release of sugar, leading to a more restful sleep, and less likelihood of waking up at 3 am with the munchies....

ducati
13-Nov-10, 23:01
Ah yes you're probably right, I do have trouble getting to sleep sometimes.

Orkneycadian wisdom :)

sandyr1
14-Nov-10, 16:25
Ah yes you're probably right, I do have trouble getting to sleep sometimes.

Orkneycadian wisdom :)

Wow! Could be something in the water also!

orkneycadian
14-Nov-10, 20:00
Whisky usually! Well, thats what I am think of pouring at the moment anyway... :cool:

sandyr1
15-Nov-10, 02:14
Well done Orkadian....We likely have the most intelligent thread ongoing.

orkneycadian
15-Nov-10, 11:46
No worries! The thread title invited "Your thoughts....", and thats what you've got! Happy to have been of service!:D

sandyr1
15-Nov-10, 13:39

I am still wondering what this means. Pray tell me, as one sentence seems to contradict the other...Of course not the Cheese on toast para!
You must remember I went to Lybster School, and thence to Wick High, so perhaps that explains it!! Or maybe you are further North.....I am sure the readers would like to get to the bottom of this! Trivial but tres important.

orkneycadian
15-Nov-10, 15:54
Well, OK, since you ask.....

Threads with topics of "Did you know....." or "Your thoughts...." or "Today I discovered...." are really tedious, especially when viewed on a mobile phone (which doesn't give you the opening line of the first post when you hover over the thread title) and take 2 minutes to open on a 2G connection to find out they are a load of drivel that you would not be interested in anyway!

Topics like "Who do you think will win X Factor" say on the tin, whats in them, so you know it will be bruck, and you can save your time opening them. Threads titled "Embroidery patterns for teddy bears" don't interest me either, so I can happily avoid them and leave them to folk that do like embroidering teddy bears.

Nondescript thread titles don't, so waste time and bandwidth / monthly data allowance - Such a shame as Admin have gone to all the trouble to provide a Thread Title / Topic box, that could be put to use to perhaps suggest what the thread is about! Not only that, they have set up a big directory structure so that messages can get pigeonholed in the appropriate section, thus reducing the need to read each and every posting to see if it is of interest or not. Nondescript threads in the general section give no clue whatsoever as to what they are about until you open them and take the data usage hit.

So the proposal is that such nondescript thread titles should be banned (;)), or alternatively, if that doesn't happen, then we should post in them what the topic suggests! I chose the latter of the 2 suggestions and posted "My Thoughts" in a "Your Thoughts" thread in the General section. At the time of posting, my thoughts were "Cheese on Toast or Oatcakes?"

A thread can't go off topic if its topic to begin with is nondescript! A topic called "Your Thoughts" could go very far and wide and still be argubly on topic!

sandyr1
15-Nov-10, 16:15
Thank you....Didn't think of these things.
I shall adhere in the future......regards....sr