PDA

View Full Version : Britain's Trillion Pound Black Hole

Nacho
12-Nov-10, 01:19
before watching tonight's program on Channel 4, i naively thought that we'd sail through this storm

we truly are in the brown stuff, no matter how many cuts, we will never climb out of this hole without a sea change of spending and taxation policy.

the con/dems tell us were all in this together, but i don't feel a Dunkirk spirit anymore, i feel like were in Jamestown and Cameron's got the kool aid

if you missed the program, please watch it ....

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/britains-trillion-pound-horror-story

theone
12-Nov-10, 01:25
The country is definately in trouble.

We've been spending more than we've been taking in for years, living in debt.

It's a major failing of democracy that the government is voted in based on their popularity and not their ability.

Cut spending and try to get out of debt - unpopular, out of a job at the next election.
Keep spending money on services - popular, stay in power for the next however many years. Someone else can then worry about the mess.

Nacho
12-Nov-10, 01:38
the first eye opener for me in the program was when they asked a group of key mp's from across the board how much debt we are in ....

not one of them were even close, guessing in the billions, not the trillions

were being sold a lemon with these cuts in public spending

the presenter's illustration of a bath full of water being the countries debt (with the tap running) and the proposed cuts being the equivalent of baling out with an egg cup was humorous, but terrifying

rob murray
12-Nov-10, 18:11
Ok, one way out the mess is to re structure taxation and when we are at it, lock down fly off shore moves that exist to avoid taxation. The mugs are the vast majority having tax deducted at source...we have no choice...the real rich people pay next to f all. Put it this way...in the late 70's top rate taxation was at the upper 80 / 90% level...since 1985 its been at 40%...does that explain some of the revenue short fall....of course our manufacturing base was wiped out by a miss guided economic experiment in the early 80's ( moneterarsim ) seeing the UK move to a service based economy...creating balance of payment interuptions..hitting UK revenue earnings.

Dont fall for the lie that Labour 1997 - 2010 is responsible for the mess, and dont swallow the crap that we lived beyond our means...we didnt. Dont turn in on ourselves...ordinary people have not created this mess...why should we pay !

Logical
12-Nov-10, 18:38
Now is the time we must all call for revolution.
Communism is the way to go!
Now who's with me!?

No? Alternatively, Rob Murray for Prime Minister!
He seems to know what's going on.

I watched a film called Zeitgest not long ago and it explains how the whole world monetary system is structured. Basically it has to at some point collapse.

Dont worry about me though - I've got tins in. :)

Kodiak
12-Nov-10, 18:44
The amount of money that the UK ows is not as relevant as you may think. The main thing is the GDP, Gross Domestic Product. To see how good or bad we are you look at the % of GDP that we are in debt for. If look back over the Years it is not as bad as the politicians claim it to be. They are just dazzling us with the enormous Numbers.

The worst year was in 1945 when the GDP was running at 70.34%. That is understanderable since we were just coming out of WWII.

This figure started to drop until the 1960's when it started rise again. It kept on rising until 1975 when it hit 48.28%. This figure is actually Higher than what we are now.

Last Year, 2009, our GDP was 45.23% and the forcast for this year is 44.84%.

So we may be in debt but not quite as bad as you might think as most of the 1970's were as bad or worse than what we are now.

http://www.ukpublicspending.co.uk/downchart_ukgs.php?year=1900_2010&state=UK&view=1&expand=&units=p&fy=2010&chart=F0-total&bar=0&stack=1&size=l&color=c&title=UK%20Public%20Spending%20As%20Percent%20Of%2 0GDP

http://i56.tinypic.com/eg9ytf.jpg

rob murray
15-Nov-10, 17:16
Now is the time we must all call for revolution.
Communism is the way to go!
Now who's with me!?

No? Alternatively, Rob Murray for Prime Minister!
He seems to know what's going on.

I watched a film called Zeitgest not long ago and it explains how the whole world monetary system is structured. Basically it has to at some point collapse.

Dont worry about me though - I've got tins in. :)

Lol lol lol : nah PM would be to much for me...Id rather be a list MSP on our mickey mouse Scottish parliament..not to taxing eh !