PDA

View Full Version : Northern lights

dafi
12-Nov-10, 00:57
There are northern lights happening right now on this side of the water!!:D

changilass
12-Nov-10, 01:00
Lucky you, all we have is very dark, but very clear sky with lots of stars.

Nacho
12-Nov-10, 01:22
thanks for the heads up dafi, i'm off out for a ramble ....

dafi
12-Nov-10, 01:51
sorry folks i called that a bit late!

Nacho
12-Nov-10, 01:55
no worries, any excuse for a walk out back on a clear night with some wine and smokes is fine by me

Mystical Potato Head
12-Nov-10, 02:35
There are northern lights happening right now on this side of the water!!:D

Was out taking photos of them at around 11,reached a peak at around 11.30.then faded quite a bit.Wavy curtain effect at the peak and by midnight it was just a glow with a few faint streaks.Hoy hills were silhouetted lovely against them,even caused a little reflection over the firth.

Space weather.com forecast activity for the next 24 hours.Kepplar index of 4 which usually means a good show,roll on solar maximum.

Mystical Potato Head
12-Nov-10, 02:53
Lucky you, all we have is very dark, but very clear sky with lots of stars.

And lots of Northern Lights.
If you can see them in Orkney then you'll see exactly the same here,20 -30 miles makes no difference .Tonights display was roughly overhead at the same latitude as the Faroes.

spaceddaisy
12-Nov-10, 07:37
I was out with the dog between 11-11:30. I'd never seen them before last night- they were beautiful. One of nature's spectaculars for sure.

Skifter
12-Nov-10, 10:38
Saw them last night over the direction of Keiss.

Mystical Potato Head
12-Nov-10, 19:09
Be on the lookout for aurora's tonight as well.Space weather .com gives the same forecast for tonight as last night so if the skies clear a little you never know,could be another display like last night if we're lucky.