PDA

View Full Version : No wonder we all go to Inverness to shop

bananas
17-Aug-04, 08:31
My wife having returned from a holiday in Northern Ireland, yes that's right Northern Ireland which is still part of the United Kingdom, went into a shop in Thurso to purchase some wrapping paper and cards.

When she handed over her cash which was Northern Ireland bank notes, which are Sterling, she was told that they would not accept them. Doh!!! they are Sterling.

She then tried to pay by Switch which 99.999% of the world use and was told they didn't take that either. What to do, she had no choice but to walk out not very happy.

If I am to assume that the young girl was correct in her response, then the shop owner/manager had told her not to accept legal coins of the realm.

I, my family and as many people as I can advise will never shopin in this store again. What message is that to our tourist trade. We as Scots always complain if our notes are looked down on in England.

Should I give the store name? Will I go against board guidelines?

I'll give you a clue it's sandwiched between Regency Jewelers and Semi Chem and it's name is well associated with a type of licourice.

Sandra
17-Aug-04, 12:33
If it's the shop I'm thinking of then there is a sign on the door saying they only accept cash and not card payments.

But it seems strange they wouldn't accept the NI money!!!!

bananas
17-Aug-04, 14:10
My wife never noticed the sign on the door but did not have sufficient sterling to pay for transaction, oh sorry yes she did they wouldn't take it. What sort of notes do they want.....English.

Another thing why the hell do shops in Thurso close at lunchtimes, not all but quite a few, it's particularly annoying on Saturday. Do you not understand that it's the only time most people have free, don't they want the business????

Naefearjustbeer
17-Aug-04, 18:36
Well I agree with you if they dont want your money go spend it elsewhere, I tend to try to buy locally when ever I can as I do believe in supporting local business. But I am afraid there are quite a few places in the town that I will not spend money in due to shoddy treatment either when you want to spend money or when you go back to get warranty repairs or replacement. Or trying to rip off the customers with crazy prices. I dont mind spending a few pounds more to buy something locally but not double the price.
I recently went to a local shop and asked for a price for an electronic item, I was quoted £160. A quick search on the internet revealled several online shops that sold the exact same item for £80, When I mentioned this in the shop they said well we can only sell a few of these a year so we have to sell them for a bit more because we dont get a bulk discount from the manufacturers. Even so double the price!! If I were them I would be buying the thing from the net and selling them in the shop for £100 not £160. Grrrrr!!

©Amethyst
18-Aug-04, 12:52
Many English shops don't accept Scottish notes.

I was in Oxford earlier this year. Had cash with me that I took from Scotland. I almost got told to sling my hook whilst trying to purchase some shampoo in Boots!

The problem is that there are lots of forgeries around. I think that's about all really.

And I for one hate shopping in Inverness! Give me Thurso any day!

AR
18-Aug-04, 13:59
I got given a northern irish £20 note on monday, and the bloke was offended when i checked it because of there rarity here.Couple of years ago same thing happened and i refused the note because i had no way of checking it, and the man blew his top. If in doubt why should you lose out?

Jennie
20-Aug-04, 01:16
Many English shops don't accept Scottish notes.

I was in Oxford earlier this year. Had cash with me that I took from Scotland. I almost got told to sling my hook whilst trying to purchase some shampoo in Boots!

The problem is that there are lots of around. I think that's about all really.

And I for one hate shopping in Inverness! Give me Thurso any day!

Alot of english and we;sh places don't except scottish notes unless the person is from scotland, lives in scotland etc etc because of forgeries! Found this out when on holiday in wales, handed over the money and the bloke said he couldn't accept it but when my dad turned around and said we lived in scotland he said it was fine! So I understand why some places don't!
I use the scottish notes everytime I go down to Reading and I have no problem!

daviddd
28-Aug-04, 21:18
the only reason for staff not accepting notes from other UK 'countries' is ignorance caused by lack of training. You can't blame the staff, the owners / managers aren't doing their job! [mad]

crashbandicoot1979
22-Sep-04, 15:42
With reference to English retailers refusing to accept Scottish Banknotes, Scottish banknotes are not "legal tender" ie if someone is owed money they can legally refuse to accept them. In Scotland, earlier legislation restricted legal tender status to Bank of England one pound notes. When these were withdrawn, in 1983, the legislation was not amended. So since then, Scotland has had no "legal tender" banknotes but this technicality has not tended to cause any problems! They are usually accepted by shopkeepers in England and Wales, although they are not required to accept them. I have used Scottish banknotes in England a couple of times and have had no problems, although I have heard plently stories from other people who have had problems. English shopkeepers should bear in mind that cheques and credit/debit cards are not legal tender either, yet the majority readily accept them! :D

Baconbuttie
24-Sep-04, 22:56
I have an Irish £5 in my till at the moment, looks like I will have to bank it as none of my customers will accept it in their change. Seems like it not only shopkeepers that need educating.

Naefearjustbeer
26-Sep-04, 00:46
We had friends up from Ireland and we out round the pubs last night, They had no problem spending lots of Irish notes. Maybe bar staff are used to seeing the money and they accepted it ok.

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
12-Oct-04, 13:35
Maybe Banana's wife should have taken her money to a more upmarket establishment to spend her money and im sure the likes of jim bews or the card shop beside durrands (cards n things?) would have accepted the irish notes?