PDA

View Full Version : Burning of the Viking Longship

happy_83
05-Aug-06, 22:25
Was everyone else expecting the Viking longship to be burnt on the Thurso river tonight?

We were sat by the side of the river expecting the boat to be taken down on to the river and then set alight so was a little surprised to see it being burnt in the car park next to the coaches (seeing as we were sat on the other side of the river to get a good view!)

If I’m honest I thought it was a little disappointing, though it was really great having the Vikings in Thurso. Does anyone know of any reason why it wasn’t sent down the river or was it not meant to happen in the first place?

Kingetter
05-Aug-06, 22:36
Same thing happened in Lerwick in January - except it was in a school playing ground. More people get to see it?

Rheghead
05-Aug-06, 22:39
Don't you think it is a shame that we have to import vikings when we have the same viking history if not more so than Shetland? I'm sure we could create our own viking club.:confused

Ann
06-Aug-06, 00:01
Was everyone else expecting the Viking longship to be burnt on the Thurso river tonight?

We were sat by the side of the river expecting the boat to be taken down on to the river and then set alight so was a little surprised to see it being burnt in the car park next to the coaches (seeing as we were sat on the other side of the river to get a good view!)

If I’m honest I thought it was a little disappointing, though it was really great having the Vikings in Thurso. Does anyone know of any reason why it wasn’t sent down the river or was it not meant to happen in the first place?

Possibly sending the Viking ship down the river could be a danger to other boats tied up?

Dreadnought
06-Aug-06, 00:15
Wouldn't be surprising if it was some politically correct busybody in local government decided it might cause a pollution hazard if burnt in water.

Kingetter
06-Aug-06, 00:16
Was there any water in the river? lol

dunderheed
06-Aug-06, 01:19
same thing happened couple of years ago in thurso, i think its something to do with the threat with the floating fiorey debris floating into shipping lanes or summat like that.

Ricco
06-Aug-06, 08:29
I wonder if today's Vikings could make the journey in a traditional boat from there to here! ;)

Ann
06-Aug-06, 09:12
No offence 'Lass, but it is common sense not to have burning debris on a river! I know it would have been more spectacular but the reality is, it is not safe.
Ann

happy_83
06-Aug-06, 11:07
I know it's not that safe to burn things in the river, however it was full tide and there were only two other boats in the river and they were further down near the fish shop. Plus there was a safety boat in the river.

What seemed dangerous was burning it in the car park next to two coaches with people allowed to get so close to it when the Vikings threw their torches at it. It just would have been nice to see it in the river but I spose in this day and age with so much red tape it’s never going to happen :~(

I also agree with one of the other posters about this place having more Viking heritage, and it would be nice if we could do a bit more, if their were more funds etc.

janette
06-Aug-06, 12:54
Would the boat have floated in the river - upright that is

Astra
06-Aug-06, 13:12
Maybe they were thinking of the little fishes trying to get up to spawn the heat of the boat on the water wouldn't be very good for them .

SEB
06-Aug-06, 19:08
It would have been good to see any of this at all - unfortunately half the crowd were still watching the goings-on in Traill Street, etc, and missed it altogether!!

Gogglebox
06-Aug-06, 22:21
As one of the organisers let me shed a little light

I too thought it was burnt on the river until a coule of weeks ago and spent ages with the Fire Brigade working out how to do it as he wasnt happy with the control we would have on a burning boat at sea.
We were then informed that they now burn them on land only for H&S reaons and pollution - -Even at Up Hellya

Has to be said the Fire Department were very helpful with us

There was barriers down there last night, i put them down myself on Wednesday before they all vanished out to Mey, I put them behind the grey/cream power thing at the left hand corner
Unfortunately in the excitement the people who took the boat down forgot to put them out on Saturday night - -Think my friend at the Fire Department might not be so friendly now but i got stuck in the gala office and never got down
Big mistake on my part but what can you do its hard to leave when people are in
It no excuse though and i will be sure to get my bottom kicked because at the end of the day i should have gone down and done it myself rather than rely on someone else

The boat was burnt early as the torches were starting to go out as we possible made them march too far - -lesson learned

Hope everyone enjoyed the spectacle though and had a great night out

It was good to see the town so busy

Contrary to some old opinions Community Spirit is definately alive and kicking in Thurso

The floats and Fancy Dress were top class Well Done all who took part

Well Done and thanks for making it so good - -without the public we would just look daft standing dressed up and making idiots of ourselves!!

Website www.thurso.org
email TownImprovements@thurso.org

Naefearjustbeer
06-Aug-06, 22:29
Plenty community out watching the procession. It is a shame that all the floats makers didn't make the same effort the Lion King group made. It stood out leagues above all the others. However through in wick nearly all the floats were of a very high standard.

kas
07-Aug-06, 00:44
Plenty community out watching the procession. It is a shame that all the floats makers didn't make the same effort the Lion King group made. It stood out leagues above all the others. However through in wick nearly all the floats were of a very high standard.

What about steptoe and son, I thought it was fantastic and very original.

Naefearjustbeer
07-Aug-06, 06:54
Yes it was good. But I actually meant the big trailers, The amount of effort put in to make the lion king was amazing.

darkie@dreamtilt.com.au
07-Aug-06, 09:06
Great photos of the Gala,look forward to seeing more,got a big surprise when I saw the Australian float,well done who ever was responsible it Thanks from down under http://forum.caithness.org/images/icons/icon6.gif