PDA

View Full Version : Holidays!

Wish
05-Aug-06, 21:57
I just wondered where everyone is holidaying this year?

We are hopefully going to be coming up to the highlands for a week in September and I can't wait:D

Kingetter
05-Aug-06, 22:08
Shetland - September - I hope, and not because you are coming to Caithness!

Wish
05-Aug-06, 22:12
Sounds fab, do you rent a cottage, hotel or camp?

I've always fancied visiting Shetland but the boat ride does put me off, has anyone travelled there via boat? Is it a rough ride?

connieb19
05-Aug-06, 22:14
Is there still a plane to Shetland and is it really expensive?

pultneytooner
05-Aug-06, 22:16
Scared of shetland, might get sacrificed like the wicker man.[lol]

connieb19
05-Aug-06, 22:17
Does anone else notice, the people in Shetland look like the people in Wick. :confused

orkneylass
05-Aug-06, 22:19
Shetland is gorgeous and you can go via Orkney by plane or really luxurious, comfortable boat.

I am learning to sail a yacht in Croatia in september and then sailing it round the islands with a friend - my 50th birthday present to myself - Can't wait!

Astra
05-Aug-06, 22:20
yes filghts to sumburgh from wick not sure how much i think it's about £ 100 and odd but not sure .

Wish
05-Aug-06, 22:21
Wow that sounds exciting Orkneylass, wishing you lots of luck with the sailing lessons:cool:

I don't have good sea legs i'm afraid, which is a shame as I love the sea and would love to sail out and see if I can see the dolphins and whales:~(

pultneytooner
05-Aug-06, 22:22
Does anone else notice, the people in Shetland look like the people in Wick. :confused
Scary.......;)

Astra
05-Aug-06, 22:22
I also hear the night life is great up there they sure no how to party .

Kingetter
05-Aug-06, 22:24
Sounds fab, do you rent a cottage, hotel or camp?

I've always fancied visiting Shetland but the boat ride does put me off, has anyone travelled there via boat? Is it a rough ride?

Self-catering. Used to be able to fly direct from Wick to Sumburgh but not now, gotta go via Kirkwall (Orkney).
Other routes like from Edinburgh, Aberdeen. Also ferry from Aberdeen.

Kingetter
05-Aug-06, 22:26

Please read my last reply, and, expense? it depends where you are. If in the Highlands there's a discount scheme.

Kingetter
05-Aug-06, 22:28
Its a wonderful area - nout to be scared of - its great.

Kingetter
05-Aug-06, 22:31
To me, they look like anywhere else - different from place to place.

connieb19
05-Aug-06, 22:32
To me, they look like anywhere else - different from place to place.I've never been anywhere before where so many people are the double of people in Wick.:lol:

Kingetter
05-Aug-06, 22:33
NO! Not any more. Not direct anyway. Gotta go via Kirkwall. Then there's a wait.

Wish
05-Aug-06, 22:36
Ok heres a question, should I ever get the confidence to go across the waters or fly to Shetland, can you take a dog onboard the boat or plane, anyone know? I don't go on holiday without my doggie:lol:

Kingetter
05-Aug-06, 22:40
Ok heres a question, should I ever get the confidence to go across the waters or fly to Shetland, can you take a dog onboard the boat or plane, anyone know? I don't go on holiday without my doggie:lol:

No prob by boat I'd think - plane, maybe not possible.

Wish
05-Aug-06, 22:44
Thanks Kingetter:)

Kingetter
05-Aug-06, 22:46
Just Google Shetland and get a good feel for the place - it's worth it.
I've been 3 times since July 2005 - September will make the 4th trip.

orkneylass
06-Aug-06, 09:06
No problem with dogs on the boat. Why not take a trip so that you have a few days in orkney as well as time in Shetland???? Both places are fabulous and full of things to see and do.

orkneylass
06-Aug-06, 09:08
Just one further bit of info - you can pick up the Shetland boat in Aberdeen, some days it calls at Orkney on the way to Shetland. If Aberdeen is more convenient for you than Orkney via caithness, that would be the way to do it .