PDA

View Full Version : Awareness of the Welfare laws

Commore
10-Nov-10, 21:46
Those of us who are owners of animals are in general expected to know something of the law operating in your area of the British Isles,

Ignorance is not a defence in Law, therefore, peruse........

"Protected animals" include the kinds of animals whose collective behaviour, life cycle, or physiology has been altered as a result of their breeding and living conditions being under human control for multiple generations. Livestock, poultry, horses, cats and dogs are all protected animals whether they are in captivity or living wild as "feral" animals. Thus feral cats, sheep, goats or ponies are "protected animals" for the purpose of the Act. Other animals living in the wild which have not had their behaviour, life cycle or physiology altered by being under human control, such as pheasants or deer, are not classed as protected animals. When man has made an animal dependent on him, then the animal should continue to be protected. Wild rabbits, mice and rats are not protected animals unless they are under the control of man as they are not of a "kind" commonly domesticated in the British Islands. The domestic rabbit, mouse and rat is quite different to the wild kind, and the fact that some kinds of animals can be domesticated, does not mean that all such animals are then "protected". The British Islands means the United Kingdom, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man.

An "inspector" for the purposes of any provision of Part 2 of the Act, is a person either appointed or authorised as a inspector by the Scottish Ministers; or a person appointed as an inspector by a local authority. In practice this will mean officers of the State Veterinary Service and local authority animal health and welfare officers, employed in Trading Standards and Environmental Health Departments. Individual inspectors of the Scottish Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (Scottish SPCA) will be authorised as "inspectors" by Scottish Ministers for the purpose of dealing with animals in distress and empowered to issue "care notices" (paragraphs 39 - 43). This will give authorised Scottish SPCA inspectors the same powers as inspectors appointed by local authorities to take possession of animals which are suffering or are in danger of suffering, and to apply to the court for a release order or a disposal order, in respect of animals which they have seized.

Inspectors will not incur civil or criminal liability for anything which they do in exercising any functions conferred on them, if they have reasonable grounds for such action and act in good faith. This does not affect any liability of any other person in respect of any action undertaken.

Source;

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/farmingrural/Agriculture/animal-welfare/AnimalWelfare/AHWSAGuidance/Micscellaneous

And to the Act;

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/asp/2006/11/contents#muscat_highlighter_first_match

Commore
12-Nov-10, 20:04
Bumping up,

The point being made is that no matter how good an individual's intentions are with regard to animal welfare,
"the ordinary joe" cannot really take the law into their own hands,

and whilst there may very well be an animal welfare issue, it is not really the "ordinary joe's" business to interfere, other than to express their concerns to the appropiate authority.

Quite apart from the fact that I am slightly perturbed by the attitude toward me, as taken by others, who for reasons of their own jumped upon the proverbial bandwagon, to spout their venomous spiel, with regard to what is essentially my business,
I would if I was the "victim" in this case, http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=127145
be looking some sort of redress, and most especially given that the poster and sympathizers have seen fit to discuss me and my business on an open public forum.

Dadie
12-Nov-10, 20:42
"The ordinary joe" may not seize an animal, but they can offer to take in an animal that is unwanted (before its abandoned).
Or take in a stray.......and tell the authorities that need to know!
be it SSPCA, cats protection etc...
They cannot just take an animal.

unicorn
12-Nov-10, 21:19
Cheers for clearing that up, I read it a few times and had not a clue what you were getting at.

Liz
12-Nov-10, 21:21
Cheers for clearing that up, I read it a few times and had not a clue what you were getting at.

That's about ten minutes of your life you won't get back Unicorn!:lol:

DeHaviLand
13-Nov-10, 00:32
Bumping up,

The point being made is that no matter how good an individual's intentions are with regard to animal welfare,
"the ordinary joe" cannot really take the law into their own hands,

and whilst there may very well be an animal welfare issue, it is not really the "ordinary joe's" business to interfere, other than to express their concerns to the appropiate authority.

Quite apart from the fact that I am slightly perturbed by the attitude toward me, as taken by others, who for reasons of their own jumped upon the proverbial bandwagon, to spout their venomous spiel, with regard to what is essentially my business,
I would if I was the "victim" in this case, http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=127145
be looking some sort of redress, and most especially given that the poster and sympathizers have seen fit to discuss me and my business on an open public forum.

Lmao, so its not animal welfare you're concerned about, its other peoples perceptions of you that you're getting heated about.
heres a tip for you. once you've proven yourself to be a complete ass, there is no need to post further proof.
You are now coming across as a very sad, pathetic and vindictive individual. It would be better for the good of this forum if you just stopped with the vitriolic bile.

Heidi
13-Nov-10, 11:57
Hi I am new here, and have been watching the saga unfold for a few days,
I must say, this is not really what I would expect from adults on the org.
Don't you not think this is all getting a bit pathetic?