PDA

View Full Version : Litter

highland red
10-Nov-10, 17:09
I don't know whether the unpaid labour scheme that the Government will work (as in a previous post). But I think someone should try to do something about the amount of blatant and bone-idle littering that SOME of the kids/students are doing on Princes Street en-route back to the High School and College from the various food/chippy outlets.

I find it so frustrating especially when we have some very hard working people that make the streets a much more pleasant place by their hard graft.

It just makes the place look so bad it's not true.

Rant over.:mad:

lindsaymcc
10-Nov-10, 17:12
Can only agree with you - and it isnt just Princes St.... We live on Heathfield Road and the kids walk along to and from Frasers and have absolutely no regard for other people property and will just leave rubbish all over.

We are out there almost daily picking up after them to make the area look nicer!

Commore
10-Nov-10, 17:23
I don't know whether the unpaid labour scheme that the Government will work (as in a previous post). But I think someone should try to do something about the amount of blatant and bone-idle littering that SOME of the kids/students are doing on Princes Street en-route back to the High School and College from the various food/chippy outlets.

I find it so frustrating especially when we have some very hard working people that make the streets a much more pleasant place by their hard graft.

It just makes the place look so bad it's not true.

Rant over.:mad:

Rant beginining :) we have friends who live in Fife, they have exactly the same problem and they tell us that an ordinary person cannot approach a child who drops sweetie papers etc, with a view to make them pick up and dispose of properly,
Their house is on the main throroughfare these children & young adults use going to and from School, so literally twice a day their street is swept clean,
I think it is the schools who should pay for this clean up, after all it is their duty to educate the kids and they alone are responsible for the kids during school hours.

lindsaymcc
10-Nov-10, 17:25
Many a time I have threatened to write to the High School and complain, but feel it will get me no-where so vent quietly instead.

What gets me more than anything though is the way they barge past if we are getting kids in/out of the car rather than either wait or walk around the car! Drives me insane!

Duncansby
10-Nov-10, 17:28
I agree there is nothing worse than the sight of litter - what is especially annoying is when litter is dropped within a couple of metres of a bin!

But surely the schools aren't responsible for teaching kids everything, I think parents need to take responsibility for how there kids behave. After all aren't they supposed to be bringing them up?

Metalattakk
10-Nov-10, 17:30
I think it is the schools who should pay for this clean up, after all it is their duty to educate the kids and they alone are responsible for the kids during school hours.

Nonsense, it is the parent's responsibility to instil common manners into their child, not the school's. There's far too much 'passing the buck' these days.

So yes, as per usual, I blame the parents! When are they going to accept responsibility?

Commore
10-Nov-10, 17:39
Nonsense, it is the parent's responsibility to instil common manners into their child, not the school's. There's far too much 'passing the buck' these days.

So yes, as per usual, I blame the parents! When are they going to accept responsibility?

Education starts at home,
Yes, but during school hours it is the responsibility of the schools to keep the kids in line, or am I behind the times here?

brandy
10-Nov-10, 17:45
keep them in the school at lunch times and it would cut down a lot of the mess.. but im guessing thats against some law to make a child actually have lunch at school. kids have too much freedom as it is.. they want to be treated as adults yet have none of the responsibility.

Metalattakk
10-Nov-10, 17:55
Yes, but during school hours it is the responsibility of the schools to keep the kids in line, or am I behind the times here?

So what are you saying? You want the school to babysit your wayward kids at lunchtimes (outside of school hours, by the way) to stop them from littering?

No.

Teach your kids respect right from the get-go and there is no problem.

Parents should accept their responsibilities instead of foisting them on an already under-pressure education system.

squidge
10-Nov-10, 17:58
Tell them. If kids are barging past you or being thoughtless then we should be telling them. I was trying to manage a baby a shopping trolley and a toddler in morrisons the other day at the self service tills. A school laddie and his four mates were trying to use the till before I had gathered everything up and were barging into my trolley with the wee one in before I had time tomove. I asked if he could wait a few seconds whilst I sorted out putting my change away and not be quite so rude. He went very red and stepped back and apologised. Sometimes teenagers are just thoughtless and have tunnel vision as far as the world is concerned. They aren't always like that - but they do need to be reminded that they are not the only person in the world.

Bazeye
10-Nov-10, 22:32
What gets me more than anything though is the way they barge past if we are getting kids in/out of the car rather than either wait or walk around the car! Drives me insane!

Couldnt you just wait a few seconds until they pass your car before getting out?? Id have thought that if they were walking on the pavement they would have the right of way.

neilsermk1
10-Nov-10, 22:48
Its not the litter thats the problem, its the feral brats that drop it.
As far as it being the schools responsbility, you must be having a laugh.
Its every parents responsibility to make sure their kids have some respect for their environment, or am I just out of touch.
As far as challenging individuals who blatantly drop litter, If you dont, then you condone their action, and have to live with the consequences, street that look like a tip.

Chrisf1961
10-Nov-10, 22:52
A good crack round the back of the head wouldnt go amiss....im old school sorry....

Stack Rock
10-Nov-10, 22:56
A few years ago I had to attend a days computer course, which in those days was held in Wick High School. We went to the canteen for lunch and upon leaving to go return to the lecture room the corridors were covered in litter. No one in the schoool appeared to make any attempts to address this problem. No wonder the kids drop litter outside if this was allowed to happen in the premises. However the buck should stop with the parents.

Dadie
10-Nov-10, 23:00
Some off the more useful detentions used to be litter picking....
Dont know if they are allowed to do that now though..?

ShelleyCowie
10-Nov-10, 23:50
Im just round from frazers shop and the litter that gets dropped here is mental! I would rather the kids use my wheelie bin and put it in there instead of dropping it at the end of my path.

A week or so ago i was walking home with the pram and Athrun walking with me. Kids crowded outside Cardosi shop, litter everywhere and they wouldnt move out of my way even after saying "excuse me 3 times" I got a nasty response from 1 girl. Enough was enough...i made my own path between them. Should have reported it to school but whats the point, i dont know who she was!

Why cant kids just put a bit of rubbish in their pockets or hold it in their hands until they get to a bin is beyond me! :roll: I tell my step sons to leave it in their pockets and i will get it from them when we get home.

sweetpea
11-Nov-10, 00:10
So what are you saying? You want the school to babysit your wayward kids at lunchtimes (outside of school hours, by the way) to stop them from littering?

No.

Teach your kids respect right from the get-go and there is no problem.

Parents should accept their responsibilities instead of foisting them on an already under-pressure education system.

I agree with some of your sentiments.think there is too much emphasis on what school should do..parents should take more responsibility for teaching their kids the basic in life...i.e. don't drop litter...mind you, kids that drop litter probably do it all the time at home too, so they are used to living in tips.

Dadie
11-Nov-10, 00:21
I try..and try..but try and get little people to pick up after themselves is near immpossible...but they do when out ..just not at home!

sweetpea
11-Nov-10, 00:25
Forgot to add that I think it's all about respect for things, people and places. Stuff that is instilled from a young age.

ducati
11-Nov-10, 00:55
Well, sadly it is too late for the current young adult generation, judging by the amount of stuff chucked out of cars.

I blame Maggie Thatcher :Razz

Metalattakk
11-Nov-10, 03:32
I blame Maggie Thatcher :Razz

GRRR. . . I blame Maggie Thatcher's parents!

No, seriously, I just blame the parents.

ks
11-Nov-10, 08:20
I have seen parents out with their kids, unwrapping sweets and just dropping the litter on the ground. This shows their kids it is acceptable to drop litter. If the kids have not been taught to put their litter in a bin or their pockets when they are young, they are not going to start doing it once they reach the high school!

brandy
11-Nov-10, 09:24
well as a parent of a 7 and 6 year old i can tell you its a battle at times.
we were at tescos last night and Sam went to throw a wrapper in the bin outside and he missed. he went oopps i missed.. and started to walk away.
wrong move buddy! not only did he get a telling off in front of everyone outside tescos but after picking it back up .. while chasing it in the wind he then got a lecture on littering.
saying that, it is hard for him to understand because Ben just drops everything in the floor or under the table, behind the couch, in the couch or where ever he can shove it at home.
while this is unacceptable, it also has to be tolerated to an extent as Ben cant understand. So instead of yelling at him i have to just try to condition him to take everything to the Bin. and it is a very long drawn out process.. with Ben when ever he is given something you have to tell him, Remember this is rubbish when you finish and Rubbish lives in the Rubbish Bin.
hopefully i will eventually get ben to understand that he has to throw things away when hes done with them. sadly i think its going to take a while.
i do just want to say, it drives me crazy and sometimes i just want to sit down and cry just because the state my house is in, but i just keep cleaning and hoping one day....
so can only imagine what a whole heard of kids can do in an afternoon!

Chrisf1961
11-Nov-10, 09:44
We really have to bring back the birch! 20 lashes on a Saturday morning would sort these teenagers out or even take it a step further keel haul them in the North Sea !

highland red
11-Nov-10, 12:39
We really have to bring back the birch! 20 lashes on a Saturday morning would sort these teenagers out or even take it a step further keel haul them in the North Sea !

There is apparently no record of anyone being "birched" twice.;)

ducati
11-Nov-10, 13:27
Robert Heinlein's idea was to string up the parents with the offspring and birch them together in the public square. (Starship Troopers).

Kodiak
11-Nov-10, 13:40
Robert Heinlein's idea was to string up the parents with the offspring and birch them together in the public square. (Starship Troopers).

Robert Heinlein had some very extreme views. He also said that "Children should be kept in a Barrel and fed through the Bung Hole until they were of age to start Work"

Although I have all of Robert Heinlein's Books and I like him as an author, I would never suggest that his extreme views should be implimented. After all he was a writer of Science Fiction and Fiction being the key word.

neilybhoy1888
11-Nov-10, 15:55
When we were kids if my mother saw us dropping litter she would make us pick it up and any more that was about and put it in the bin so eventualy we didnt drop litter any more.
Now i have a son i would do the exact same for him but i have to say he does not drop any at all he puts it in his pocket until he comes to a bin and he is only 5.
I think its should be the responsability of the parents to stop their children littering.

ducati
11-Nov-10, 17:09
Robert Heinlein had some very extreme views. He also said that "Children should be kept in a Barrel and fed through the Bung Hole until they were of age to start Work"

Although I have all of Robert Heinlein's Books and I like him as an author, I would never suggest that his extreme views should be implimented. After all he was a writer of Science Fiction and Fiction being the key word.

Arr you're no fun :lol:

ecb
12-Nov-10, 18:08
The Council are cracking down in other parts of the Highlands.

"Litter purge begins in Highland communities (18/10/10)

Those intent on dropping litter and fly tipping are being given advance notice that enforcement teams will be in Dingwall, Fort William and Inverness over the next two weeks beginning on Monday 25 October – and they will be adopting a zero tolerance approach.
Anyone found dropping litter or fly-tipping will be presented with an on-the-spot fixed penalty notice of £50.
The purge on littering follows a recent decision by The Highland Council to get tough on people who drop litter and fly-tip, shifting the focus from education to enforcement. "

http://www.highland.gov.uk/yourcouncil/news/newsreleases/2010/October/2010-10-18-01.htm

To me, not dropping litter is a matter of common decency, I would shed no tears if those litter louts were fined or even better, were given community service picking up litter. It must cost the council a lot of money cleaning up litter, money that could be used for other things, if it wasn't for the litter louts.