PDA

View Full Version : price comparison Tesco - Lidl

NickInTheNorth
10-Nov-10, 14:15
I've just done my weeks shopping, whick always involves me going to Lidl first, and then to Tesco for things Lidl don't sell.

If I could I would much prefer to buy everything in one place, so I decided to do a price comparison between the 2 shops to see if I could justify just shopping at Tesco.

Toal bill from Lidl was £40.72

anyone like to take a guess at the total cost to buy the same shopping from Tesco...

and is anyone really wants I can list the items compared :)

kitty
10-Nov-10, 14:20
My guess is there isn't much in it. Less than a fiver?

Chrisf1961
10-Nov-10, 14:24
£3.50 and a blood orange ?

changilass
10-Nov-10, 14:26
The main problem with lidle is the changing lines.

You just get used to buying something and they either stop the line or worse still change it for an inferior brand.

We used to get tuna steaks, the wee man still wonders off looking for them after more than 12 months (he loved them).

Noodles is another one, they have replaced the ones they used to do for some with no flavour at all, we ended up binning 6 packs they were that bad.

We also used to get cereal, again they stopped the ones we got and everything now seems to be either chocolate or honeyed - yeuk.

I'll stick to tesco and just go to lidle for milk cos I like the screw tops.

Dadie
10-Nov-10, 14:26
Go on show the comparisons....please!
The fruit and veg is cheaper in lidls but would like to know what else you chucked in your trolley!

NickInTheNorth
10-Nov-10, 14:32
Go on show the comparisons....please!
The fruit and veg is cheaper in lidls but would like to know what else you chucked in your trolley!

OK

this is the shopping list...

Bread Flour
Olive spread
caster sugar
washing up liquid
apple juice (small cartons)
jar tikka sauce
red onions
white onions
mature cheddar
wafer thin smoke ham
couscous
strawberry yogurt (1000g tub)
tinned sweetcorn
tuna chunks
swede
large roasting chicken
fresh casserole steak
broccoli
bananas
savoy cabbage
crème fraiche
carrots
strawberry jam
marmalade
red grapes
digestives
clementines
leeks
thick sliced bread

Kodiak
10-Nov-10, 14:35
I'll stick to tesco and just go to lidle for milk cos I like the screw tops.

For me the best milk is the Tesco Pure Milk as it has a really Long Use by Date. Usually at least 3 weeks so we buy enough to last 10 to 14 days at a time and it saves a lot of going back and forth just for milk.

Also at £3.00 for two 2 Litre Cartons is not bad for price.

scotsboy
10-Nov-10, 14:43
12 pounds more expensive in Tesco.

changilass
10-Nov-10, 14:44
Kodiak, sorry I didn't make it clear.

I meant the long life milk that comes in cartons, Tesco do the ones that you cut the corners off, where Lidle's ones have screw tops.

The boys milk(as we call it) we do get from Tesco, for the reasons you stated.

Kodiak
10-Nov-10, 14:50
Ahh Long Life Milk, it does come in handy. When I worked out at the Lighthouse Long Life Milk was a godsend. Before that we had to use Dried Milk which was just Yuch!!

lindsaymcc
10-Nov-10, 14:51
My Guesses....

Bread Flour £1.50 Tesco £1 Lidl
Olive spread £1.50 Tesco £1 Lidl
caster sugar £1 Tesco 80p Lidl
washing up liquid 70p Tesco 50p Lidl
apple juice (small cartons) 3 cartons for 69p Tesco 5 cartons 99p Lidl
jar tikka sauce 79p Tesco 69p Lidl
red onions £1 Tesco 50p Lidl
white onions 99p Tesco 69p Lidl
mature cheddar £3 Tesco £2 Lidl
wafer thin smoke ham £3 Tesco £2 Lidl
couscous £1 Tesco 50p Lidl
strawberry yogurt (1000g tub) £2 Tesco £1 Lidl
tinned sweetcorn 39p Tesco 29p Lidl
tuna chunks £2 Tesco £1 Lidl
swede 80p Tesco 40p Lidl
large roasting chicken £6 Tesco £4 Lidl
fresh casserole steak £5 Tesco £4 Lidl
broccoli 2 for £1 Tesco 50p each Lidl
bananas £2 Tesco £1 Lidl
savoy cabbage 80p Tesco 50p Lidl
crème fraiche £2 Tesco £1 Lidl
carrots £1 Tesco 50p Lidl
strawberry jam £1 Tesco 69p Lidl
marmalade £1 Tesco 69p Lidl
red grapes £2.59 Tesco £1.50 Lidl
digestives 89p Tesco 59p Lidl
clementines £2.50 Tesco £1.50 Lidl
leeks £1.20 Tesco £1 Lidl
thick sliced bread £1 Tesco 60p Lidl

onecalledk
10-Nov-10, 15:18
my guess is tesco was double the amount, last week muller rice in lidl was 23p in tesco it was 62p!!! ok Tesco was buy one get one free but that still would work out at more than it cost in Lidl.....

Frijj milk is on offer in tesco at £1.10 a bottle, last bought a few weeks ago for 87p for same milk .....

Tesco is not just a few pence its 20p+ of a difference for shopping. Popped into tesco the other day for dishwasher tablets, a couple of pizzas, salad and milk, £36!!!!!!!!!!!

K

onecalledk
10-Nov-10, 15:22
For me the best milk is the Tesco Pure Milk as it has a really Long Use by Date. Usually at least 3 weeks so we buy enough to last 10 to 14 days at a time and it saves a lot of going back and forth just for milk.

Also at £3.00 for two 2 Litre Cartons is not bad for price.

has anyone wondered what sort of milk has a sell by date of 3 weeks !!!!!

Tesco "pure" millk is filtered and contains little if any nutritional value at all, so for "pure milk" read water .......

but if you are only bothered about price then yes it appears a good deal .....

K

Kodiak
10-Nov-10, 15:38

Tesco "pure" millk is filtered and contains little if any nutritional value at all, so for "pure milk" read water .......

K

Just for you here are the Nutritional Values of Tesco Pure Semi-Skimmed Milk.

Typical Values per 100ml
Energy 46kcal
Protein 3.1g
Carbohydrate 4.8g
Fat 1.6g
Calcium 120.0mg (15%RDA)
Vitamin B12 40% of RDA

RDA = Recommended Daily Allowance.

onecalledk
10-Nov-10, 15:56
not sure what you are telling me in this. There was a recent programme on about the supposed benefits of skimmed milk and it was found that with skimmed milk since so much fat is taken out of the milk it left little nutrition in the product. There is also no reason to drink skimmed milk as the nutrition needed from milk is also taken out.

We require a certain amount of fat for our diet which is good for us. Pure milk from tesco appears to be in the same carton as whole milk but there is a little "contains only 4%" on the side of the label. THerefore it ceases to be WHOLE fat milk and becomes milk that is filtered and altered of its fat content.

For milk to be of any benefit to the human body it has to be drunk in its full fat content. Something the packaging tells you is being sold to you but is in fact NOT the same product. For whole milk to be whole it has to state WHOLE and not percentages of fat content.

K

Kodiak
10-Nov-10, 16:12
Now where in my post did I mention WHOLE MILK?

Please read my Post again and you will see it said Semi-Skimmed Milk.

As to you saying there is no reason to drink Skimmed Milk. Well that is not exactly correct. Semi-Skimmed milk helps if you are on a Low Fat Diet, for what ever the reason. It Tastes good and can better for your health as well, at least it is for me for I have to be on Semi-Skimmed Milk for health Reasons.

Also after you reach an of 15 to 18 years drinking Full Fat Whole Milk has no benefit to your body and can in fact do more harm than good.

As to why I advised you of the Nutritional Values of Tesco Pure Semi-Skimmed Milk is because you stated it was Water, when in fact it is Not.

Oh one more thing there is an easy way to tell the difference between Whole Milk and Semi-Skimmed Milk Cartons.

Whole Milk Blue Cap
Semi-Skimmed Milk Green Cap

kitty
10-Nov-10, 16:14
So anyway.... Nick... are you guna tell us the difference?

teddybear1873
10-Nov-10, 16:26
I have no idea what price difference it will be. All I know is that Lidl will be cheaper. As I haven't shopped in either for well over 2 years, I haven't got the foggiest.

One thing I never bought from Lidl was their fresh produce eg- milk, veg, meat, bread. 2 days later it was crap.......................Maybe they have changed now, I don't know.

onecalledk
10-Nov-10, 16:38

Oh one more thing there is an easy way to tell the difference between Whole Milk and Semi-Skimmed Milk Cartons.

Whole Milk Blue Cap
Semi-Skimmed Milk Green Cap

WRONG, the filtered milk comes in a blue cap in tesco but it is not strictly whole milk as I said in my post it contains only 4% fat. So people pick this up thinking they are buying FULL FAT milk when they are buying a version of semi skimmed milk. This worked fine til tesco started playing mind games with customers .....

K

Kodiak
10-Nov-10, 16:57
Sorry to say this but you are wrong.

TESCO WHOLE Pure Milk, that is the one that is Filtered has 7g of Fat which is 10% and is the same as any other Whole Milk.

Here is the Information for you to read and it cleary states that their Pure Milk has 10% Fat.

http://i56.tinypic.com/34ipa4w.jpg

onecalledk
10-Nov-10, 17:18
if your happy with your milk lasting 3 weeks then I am happy as well, each to their own, I tend to stay away from things that have been modified, filtered etc .....

besides which this thread was about the difference in price and the suspense is getting to me now ......

:)

K

NickInTheNorth
10-Nov-10, 17:50
Well onecalledk, to end the suspense the cost for the equivalent items from Tesco is £58.05

So a trolley of fairly basic items from Tesco costs about 42% more than it does from Lidl.

So I guess that I'll be continuing shopping as I am. Everything I can get at Lidl and what I can't get there from Tesco.

And I should just add I am very very quality conscious, and don't buy substandard products from anywhere.

The items I listed above I have been buying regularly from Lidl for over 3 years, occassionally they change the brand but if the quality drops I change what I buy until I am happy with it (even if I then have to buy from Tesco).

gollach
10-Nov-10, 18:13
I can't say for sure what Tesco will be like in a price comparison but the prices in Thurso Coop have rocketed!

annemarie482
10-Nov-10, 18:18
is it a fair comparison though as the products won't be the same brands?

NickInTheNorth
10-Nov-10, 18:24
is it a fair comparison though as the products won't be the same brands?

The comparison is made using Tesco own brand prices and comparing to whatever brand I have bought from Lidl. I have made comparisons on a like for like basis, so have based all comparisons on same quantities and qualities of items.

annemarie482
10-Nov-10, 18:27
ok, i quite believe it, they're definatley not cheaper.
they use trickery like the BOGOF to make you spend more.
yet feel like you've grabbed a bargain.
its a very clever business

theone
10-Nov-10, 18:41
if your happy with your milk lasting 3 weeks then I am happy as well, each to their own, I tend to stay away from things that have been modified, filtered etc .....

besides which this thread was about the difference in price and the suspense is getting to me now ......

:)

K

"Fresh" milk and long life are both treated in the same way, pasteurisation, to kill the bacteria that cause spoilage.

Apart from the temperature and time, the main difference with the two is the sterile processing environment and packaging.

So really, unless you're getting milk straight from the animal, it's very hard to avoid "treated" milk.

I still drink "fresh" semi skimmed though, I prefer the taste!

Lingland
10-Nov-10, 19:31
I know this is about Lidle and Tesco but have you considered the Co-op instead of Tesco I personally find Tesco very expensive for general grocery shopoing.

NickInTheNorth
10-Nov-10, 19:39
I know this is about Lidle and Tesco but have you considered the Co-op instead of Tesco I personally find Tesco very expensive for general grocery shopoing.

In general the coop has the same issues with lack of some items that I want as Lidl does, but I find that what I buy at Tesco that is available at the coop tends to cost about the same.

So in general I just do Lidl and Tesco.

Mind I was livid today Tesco in Thurso have stopped selling the tubs of Knorr stock :(

Angela
10-Nov-10, 20:24
What's in your basket sounds very good, Nick. Are you going to reveal your week's recipes to us? ;) :)

Scarybiscuits03
10-Nov-10, 20:33
I was in the co-op today and couldn't believe the prices, I got a couple of things then headed over to tesco for a much cheaper shop (not that I think tesco is cheap in any way.....but the co-op was silly for what I was looking for!!)

ducati
10-Nov-10, 20:34
Nick, I buy almost none of what is on your list. Does that mean I'm odd or you are? :lol:

NickInTheNorth
10-Nov-10, 20:34
What's in your basket sounds very good, Nick. Are you going to reveal your week's recipes to us? ;) :)

Well I can start a new thread with that I guess...

Meal plan for the week here http://forum.caithness.org/images/misc/subscribed.gif meal plan for the week - recipes will follow (http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=127196)

NickInTheNorth
10-Nov-10, 20:36
Nick, I buy almost none of what is on your list. Does that mean I'm odd or you are? :lol:

I think most people would say it's me that's odd.

I buy very little in the way of ready made meals which seems to be the mainstay of many peoples shopping. Nothing wrong with that, but I find that life is cheaper and tastier doing it my way.

Dadie
10-Nov-10, 22:52
I dont "do" ready meals either!
I have had it suggested to me on occassion that I make work for myself or I do things the hard way....
But I like cooking from scratch...it tastes better and cheaper to do and you know what goes into it!
I shop like you do..lidls first then nip to tesco to get the bits and bobs missing and then to the butchers for meat!
Or tonight the butchers van was round..a new thing..very handy !
I dont do tuna or sweetcorn though as I cant stand them!

welsh-witch
10-Nov-10, 23:31
please tell us n put us out of our misery:Razz

Dadie
10-Nov-10, 23:34
he said £58.05 earlier if thats the info you are after?

ducati
11-Nov-10, 01:04

I buy very little in the way of ready made meals which seems to be the mainstay of many peoples shopping. Nothing wrong with that, but I find that life is cheaper and tastier doing it my way.

Not about ready made meals, I'm veggie, don't bake bread and leave sugar and most fats out of my diet. :cool:

In fact we never have biscuits, cakes, jam or anything else nice in the house :eek: And I'm still 2 stone overweight [lol]

Lingland
11-Nov-10, 11:24
I was in the co-op today and couldn't believe the prices, I got a couple of things then headed over to tesco for a much cheaper shop (not that I think tesco is cheap in any way.....but the co-op was silly for what I was looking for!!)
Yes I agree you do need to be aware but for me it saves a trip across town.

GuitarHero
11-Nov-10, 23:11
I'm the same, I get my meat from the butchers then buy things to go with the butcher meat from Lidls then head to Tesco for the few bits and pieces that Lidls doesn't stock. I try not to stay too long in Tesco and stick to what I originally intended to buy, because their "special offers" always get me then I look at the receipt and see I only saved a few pence so the offer wasn't so special after all.

tonkatojo
11-Nov-10, 23:41
I'm the same, I get my meat from the butchers then buy things to go with the butcher meat from Lidls then head to Tesco for the few bits and pieces that Lidls doesn't stock. I try not to stay too long in Tesco and stick to what I originally intended to buy, because their "special offers" always get me then I look at the receipt and see I only saved a few pence so the offer wasn't so special after all.

Aye the wife and I have got caught by the "special" pricing of tesco, it pays too scrutinise your till receipt very carefully !! .

Leanne
11-Nov-10, 23:58

K

Actually the milk is filtered to remove any bacterial missed by the pasturisation process. Fat is removed by centrifugation of the milk so the fat sits on top (like if you leave it stood for a few days before opening it) then it is skimmed off - hence the name skimmed and semi-skimmed...It has such a long shelf life as it has less bacteria.

Removing fat from milk doesn't remove any nutrition. I think what you are talking about is that having a low fat diet makes it difficult for us to absorb fat soluble vitamins. Removing the fat doesn't remove the vitamins, just reduces the carrier of them into our body.

Here's a though for everyone - it amazes me walking around the supermarket how many people buy semi-skimmed and 'diet' food yet fill their trolleys with complete junk food. Like a tin of diet coke is going to make a difference lol

theone
12-Nov-10, 00:26
Here's a though for everyone - it amazes me walking around the supermarket how many people buy semi-skimmed and 'diet' food yet fill their trolleys with complete junk food. Like a tin of diet coke is going to make a difference lol

I suppose it's a bit like the people who moan when petrol goes up by a penny a litre, raising the price of their £70 fill up by 60p.

Every little helps though!

lindsaymcc
22-Nov-10, 22:06
I plan on doing a Lidl shop tomorrow instead of Tesco - will report back how it goes! Popped in to Lidl today for a jar of their 4 cheese sauce and had a quick look at prices of "every day items" and was pleasantly surprised.

Will have to go to Tesco for a few bits that I know are cheaper there (kids fruit shoot type drinks £2.02 for 12 in Tesco, £3.69 for 12 in Lidl) but otherwise Im hoping for a good outcome!

Mrs Bucket
22-Nov-10, 23:13
I suppose it's a bit like the people who moan when petrol goes up by a penny a litre, raising the price of their £70 fill up by 60p.

Every little helps though!

or hinders

dunbrake
23-Nov-10, 21:40
I plan on doing a Lidl shop tomorrow instead of Tesco - will report back how it goes! Popped in to Lidl today for a jar of their 4 cheese sauce and had a quick look at prices of "every day items" and was pleasantly surprised.

Will have to go to Tesco for a few bits that I know are cheaper there (kids fruit shoot type drinks £2.02 for 12 in Tesco, £3.69 for 12 in Lidl) but otherwise Im hoping for a good outcome!

Hi Lindsaymcc

just to let you know fruit shoots are on special in Lidls from Thursday, just seen it in their leaflet.

Vistravi
24-Nov-10, 00:41

We do the same (that is when we have a cooker, new one arrives next week sometime hopefully)
We even make our own frozen veg for convience in cooking. This way we coom fresh and we know exactly what we are eating. My partner loves to cook and i like to make tasty things every so often. We cook most of our food fresh and our son's food as well. It's just a healthier way to cook if you have the time. Sometimes we don't and are too hungry to wait an hour and half to cook it so we cheat, but those days are not often.

davidmccl
02-Jan-13, 13:01
if you go to https://www.tescopricepromise.com all you do is enter ur reciept number's at the bottom and wait 24 hrs and u will get an email from them and tells you what store was cheapier and if u get it cheapier from another store Tesco gives u the value off next visit all you do is print the voucher coupon out and take it to store same as asda http://www.asdapriceguarantee.co.uk u can add as many as u like and good luck!!!!!!!

Mayham
03-Jan-13, 00:10
Sorry Kodiak but you are wrong/confused! It does NOT clearly state that the milk has 10%fat! Typically all whole milk has around 4% fat. Whole milk must contain a minimum of 3.5% fat. The product details that you have displayed says that a serving contains 10% of your daily requirements, not that it contain 10% fat.

2little2late
06-Jan-13, 01:17
if you go to https://www.tescopricepromise.com all you do is enter ur reciept number's at the bottom and wait 24 hrs and u will get an email from them and tells you what store was cheapier and if u get it cheapier from another store Tesco gives u the value off next visit all you do is print the voucher coupon out and take it to store same as asda http://www.asdapriceguarantee.co.uk u can add as many as u like and good luck!!!!!!!

And Asda guarantee they will be 10% cheaper than Tesco also, Asda's prices are the same throughout the country unlike Tesco who's prices are regionalised, hence Wick and Thurso being dearer than further south. Tesco Wick fuel is 5p dearer than that of Tesco Tain. There you go.