PDA

View Full Version : Releasing a pet rabbit into the wild - advice needed

Sarah
10-Nov-10, 13:53
Some people in my village have a beautiful black rabbit that is constantly escaping, purely because they don't weigh his hutch down (cheap small flimsy thing). He really is beautiful, and it breaks my heart each time I go for a walk and see the poor thing sitting in the middle of the road.

Sooner or later he's going to end up dead under a car, or from a dog etc. The person I work with knows the owners, who have apparently said they are going to catch him and just take him down to the beach and let him go as they are bored of him. [evil]

I would be willing to take him and he could live with me whilst I found him a new home, but I don't have the confidence to talk to these people, so my sister is going to talk to them tonight.

I was curious though, if they won't let me have him, is there any penalties for releasing a pet into the wild? As I'm pretty sure this rabbit won't survive the Winter out in the wild, even if he lives that long. Would the SSPCA do anything?

Liz
10-Nov-10, 13:57
Aw the poor wee thing!:~(

Yes I would definitely think it was deemed cruelty to let a pet rabbit go and, you're right, it probably wouldn't survive.

You should definitely call the SSPCA if they won't give the rabbit to your sister (good for her for talking to them!)

I really feel for rabbits as they are one of the most neglected pets after the novelty wears off![evil]

Sarah
10-Nov-10, 14:01
Aw the poor wee thing!:~(

Yes I would definitely think it was deemed cruelty to let a pet rabbit go and, you're right, it probably wouldn't survive.

You should definitely call the SSPCA if they won't give the rabbit to your sister (good for her for talking to them!)

I really feel for rabbits as they are one of the most neglected pets after the novelty wears off!

Exactly! The problem is I'm not rolling in money at the moment, otherwise I'd probably keep him. Its just vaccinations and neutering builds up.

That said, if I do get him here, I'll fall in love and he'll end up staying :roll: If that does happen, I'll work round it somehow.

I'll keep this thread updated, my fingers are crossed that they will agree to me having him. I'm too darn soft :Razz

Liz
10-Nov-10, 14:14
You can never be too soft Sarah!

I would be more than willing to help you with the cost of neutering etc if you do decide to keep him.

If they won't give him to you then definitely call the SSPCA.

I hope they haven't got any other pets they are fed up with?:confused

Dadie
10-Nov-10, 14:23
Think its illegal to release pets into the wild...know its true for exotics..but not to sure for a rabbit.
But its definately a cruelty case if they do, and it can be proved.
As a pet rabbit does not have the survival tools a wild rabbit does...a pet doesnt know about dogs..birds of prey..
And would suffer the cold as they are used to a cosy hutch.

BO-PEEP
10-Nov-10, 15:24
Report them! that is what i would do.It really makes me mad when people
get pets then get tired of looking after them and dont even take on the
responsibility of re-homing.[evil]

teenybash
10-Nov-10, 15:35
Sarah the best thing you can do, is pick up the rabbit and take he/she home for the wee animals wellbeing. You can think later what to do, but meantime I am sure a wee warm corner and some greens would do more good than anything else at the moment.:)

Sarah
10-Nov-10, 19:01
You can never be too soft Sarah!

I would be more than willing to help you with the cost of neutering etc if you do decide to keep him.

If they won't give him to you then definitely call the SSPCA.

I hope they haven't got any other pets they are fed up with?:confused

They have 3 horses, very well looked after, and a Springer spaniel that's never walked, but they aren't really what I'm worrying about. Just the rabbit.

Will see what they have to say tonight :)

Sarah the best thing you can do, is pick up the rabbit and take he/she home for the wee animals wellbeing. You can think later what to do, but meantime I am sure a wee warm corner and some greens would do more good than anything else at the moment.:)

If it wasn't so nervy, I would do that, however I still think its possibly classed as theft, even if I could get my hands on him? Not sure where the law stands there.

If I speak to them, they'd probably give me his hutch too, which I would need.

Either way, we'll find out tonight.

Commore
10-Nov-10, 19:33
Incredible post, incredulous assumption.

Sarah
10-Nov-10, 19:43

What exactly do you mean? What is an incredulous assumption about any of this?

teenybash
10-Nov-10, 19:44
They have 3 horses, very well looked after, and a Springer spaniel that's never walked, but they aren't really what I'm worrying about. Just the rabbit.

Will see what they have to say tonight :)

If it wasn't so nervy, I would do that, however I still think its possibly classed as theft, even if I could get my hands on him? Not sure where the law stands there.

If I speak to them, they'd probably give me his hutch too, which I would need.

Either way, we'll find out tonight.

Good luck Sarah.....:)

Liz
10-Nov-10, 19:45

Where exactly is Sarah making assumptions? Her worries are based on fact!

Sarah
10-Nov-10, 19:47
Where exactly is Sarah making assumptions? Her worries are based on fact!

Exactly! I know for a fact this rabbit sits out in the road, I have seen it trying to avoid cars myself. I have seen a dog chasing it.

My sister goes to school with their children, and they seem to find it funny that it escapes and they have to chase it round the streets. They have said to my co-worker they plan to take it down to the beach and release it.

All facts, I don't see how anyone can think this is a suitable life for a pet rabbit.

Commore
10-Nov-10, 19:59
The rabbit belongs to someone else,
why would they want to "give it to the poster or anyone else for that matter"?
The poster feels nervous about talking to the owners of the rabbit so her sister will ask instead,
the poster assumes the owner will be happy to hand over the rabbit to the poster, so that the poster can keep the rabbit until the poster can rehome the already owned rabbit,,,,,,

Sounds to me like downright interference in someone else's business.

Where does the poster get off?

Commore
10-Nov-10, 20:00
Exactly! I know for a fact this rabbit sits out in the road, I have seen it trying to avoid cars myself. I have seen a dog chasing it.

My sister goes to school with their children, and they seem to find it funny that it escapes and they have to chase it round the streets. They have said to my co-worker they plan to take it down to the beach and release it.

All facts, I don't see how anyone can think this is a suitable life for a pet rabbit.

And your qualifications are?

Liz
10-Nov-10, 20:03

Qualifications?!!!
So do you think it is okay for these owners to neglect this poor rabbit and to endanger it's life by letting it escape into the path of traffic and releasing it into the wild?

carasmam
10-Nov-10, 20:08
Dont feed the troll ladies ;)

Liz
10-Nov-10, 20:08
The rabbit belongs to someone else,
why would they want to "give it to the poster or anyone else for that matter"?
The poster feels nervous about talking to the owners of the rabbit so her sister will ask instead,
the poster assumes the owner will be happy to hand over the rabbit to the poster, so that the poster can keep the rabbit until the poster can rehome the already owned rabbit,,,,,,

Sounds to me like downright interference in someone else's business.

Where does the poster get off?

So you feel that cases of animal cruelty and/or neglect should not be dealt with?
Sarah is kind enough to do something about the welfare of this poor rabbit and you have no right to give her such a hard time!

Sarah
10-Nov-10, 20:10

Well its against the law for starters, what more do you want? Have you seen a rabbit suffer from Myxi? Why let a rabbit loose in the wild, to face pretty much a guaranteed death, when it could have a home? If you got bored with one of your animals, would you just let it go? Or one of your puppies, in this weather?

And as it happens, I do actually have a qualification in Animal Welfare, not that it matters in this case as I would think for the majority of people, this would be common sense.

Commore
10-Nov-10, 20:10
Qualifications?!!!
So do you think it is okay for these owners to neglect this poor rabbit and to endanger it's life by letting it escape into the path of traffic and releasing it into the wild?

If you feel that strongly, why don't you just report them to the authorities?
I mean that is what the authorities are for, is it not?
SCOTTISH PREVENTION CRUELTY ANIMALS and Rabbits.

Cruelty would be to release the pet into the wild,
have the owners released it or has it escaped all by itself from the Quote " (cheap small flimsy thing) end of quote.

Sarah
10-Nov-10, 20:11
Dont feed the troll ladies ;)

Too right, bitter because I tried to bring up neutering the crossbreed dogs! [evil] Just ignoring is the best way to continue.

I think I'll contact Balmore, just to see where the situation stands with this rabbit.

Commore
10-Nov-10, 20:32
Well its against the law for starters, what more do you want? Have you seen a rabbit suffer from Myxi? Why let a rabbit loose in the wild, to face pretty much a guaranteed death, when it could have a home? If you got bored with one of your animals, would you just let it go? Or one of your puppies, in this weather?

And as it happens, I do actually have a qualification in Animal Welfare, not that it matters in this case as I would think for the majority of people, this would be common sense.

Introducing my puppies is a cheap shot.
If you have a qualification in animal welfare you should know the law and as such use it as it was intended to be used.

I know of no law that allows "one" to rehome another's pet (without some kind of legal action) and if there is such a law perhaps you would be so good as to direct me to the act.

The "troll says goodnight ladies" !

Liz
10-Nov-10, 20:37
Sarah pay no heed and carry on with your kind intervention on this poor rabbit's behalf.:D

Sarah
10-Nov-10, 20:37
Introducing my puppies is a cheap shot.
If you have a qualification in animal welfare you should know the law and as such use it as it was intended to be used.

I know of no law that allows "one" to rehome another's pet (without some kind of legal action) and if there is such a law perhaps you would be so good as to direct me to the act.

The "troll says goodnight ladies" !

It's the same as releasing any defenceless animal into the wild. Your puppies wouldn't survive in the cold and alone, nor would the rabbit. Why should the rabbit be of any less value?

I do know the laws about releasing pets, but was wondering about the penalties, ie. fine values etc.

I never once mentioned any law about rehoming pets. I'm simply saying, why not rehome it (not neccessarily with me), rather than putting it at risk?

Commore
10-Nov-10, 20:45
It's the same as releasing any defenceless animal into the wild. Your puppies wouldn't survive in the cold and alone, nor would the rabbit. Why should the rabbit be of any less value?

I do know the laws about releasing pets, but was wondering about the penalties, ie. fine values etc.

I never once mentioned any law about rehoming pets. I'm simply saying, why not rehome it (not neccessarily with me), rather than putting it at risk?

The "Troll" is now bored ........so you never wrote the following first post?
Some people in my village have a beautiful black rabbit that is constantly escaping, purely because they don't weigh his hutch down (cheap small flimsy thing). He really is beautiful, and it breaks my heart each time I go for a walk and see the poor thing sitting in the middle of the road.

Sooner or later he's going to end up dead under a car, or from a dog etc. The person I work with knows the owners, who have apparently said they are going to catch him and just take him down to the beach and let him go as they are bored of him.

I would be willing to take him and he could live with me whilst I found him a new home, but I don't have the confidence to talk to these people, so my sister is going to talk to them tonight.

I was curious though, if they won't let me have him, is there any penalties for releasing a pet into the wild? As I'm pretty sure this rabbit won't survive the Winter out in the wild, even if he lives that long. Would the SSPCA do anything?

Well excuse me for thinking I was reading something which was not there.

Sarah
10-Nov-10, 20:59
Yeah, it would be great if it could be rehomed with me, but why release it, when it could be rehomed, even if it wasn't with me?

I just can't get round the concept, if you don't want a pet any more, you don't just release it, you try and find it a new home.

Anyway, with any luck, he will find a good home, whatever the outcome, be it with me or someone else.

unicorn
10-Nov-10, 23:08
It is absolutely against the law to abandon an animal that has been kept as a pet.
If the owners do let you have the rabbit Sarah please be aware that you really need to quarantine it away fron your own rabbits and make sure to feed it and handle it last and thoroughly wash you hands for at least a couple of weeks before going near the others.
http://www.animallaw.info/nonus/statutes/stukuk1960c43.htm

Serenity
11-Nov-10, 03:05
I think there was a story in the groat or courier last winter about some pet rabbits that were found living in the wild near reay. They were looking for the owners as it was an offence. I could be wrong but I think I remember reading this.

Good on you for caring :)

Serenity
11-Nov-10, 03:06
Here is the actual story (I didn't imagine it, just had the location wrong): http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/7859/Abandoned_rabbits_reunited.html

Sarah
11-Nov-10, 12:02
It is absolutely against the law to abandon an animal that has been kept as a pet.
If the owners do let you have the rabbit Sarah please be aware that you really need to quarantine it away fron your own rabbits and make sure to feed it and handle it last and thoroughly wash you hands for at least a couple of weeks before going near the others.
http://www.animallaw.info/nonus/statutes/stukuk1960c43.htm

Oh yes I am aware of this, it is an outdoors rabbit, so it would be in the garden well away from mine (shed rabbits). Mine are vaccinated anyway, so less of a risk to them, from the irresponsibility of the owners, I'd be surprised if he was vaccinted. But we'll see. I'm getting way ahead of myself, may not even get him yet.

Sarah
11-Nov-10, 12:03
Here is the actual story (I didn't imagine it, just had the location wrong): http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/7859/Abandoned_rabbits_reunited.html

Thanks for that! That gives me some confidence.

unicorn
11-Nov-10, 12:44
They live with me now :D

luskentyre
12-Nov-10, 00:34
Good luck Sarah and all credit to you for having the compassion to think about an animal that clearly isn't getting the care it needs.

Please try and ignore the comments from an earlier poster. It unbelievable that you're attacked like that for just asking for advice and expressing a wish to help. I can only surmise that they misunderstood your post (although the rest of us seemed to manage...). Still, that's no excuse for their attitude.

Please let us know how you get on.

DeHaviLand
12-Nov-10, 11:59
It really saddens me to see this thread, and this forum, turning in to a personal feud between Sarah and Commore. I dont post on this forum much, but I check it everyday.
Commore, you are bang out of order. This vitriol from you is purely because Sarah questioned you about your litter of puppies. Dont even get me started on people who breed litters without first having secured homes for them, far less the irresponsibility of deliberate cross-breeding. You have already stated you have enough to look after with elderly dogs. Why in hells name would you deliberately breed another litter? Go get your dogs neutered and prove you are a responsible dog owner. Honestly, now I'm bloody mad.
Sarah, good luck with the rabbit, and take no notice of crotchety old Commore

Commore
12-Nov-10, 13:20
It really saddens me to see this thread, and this forum, turning in to a personal feud between Sarah and Commore. I dont post on this forum much, but I check it everyday.
Commore, you are bang out of order. This vitriol from you is purely because Sarah questioned you about your litter of puppies. Dont even get me started on people who breed litters without first having secured homes for them, far less the irresponsibility of deliberate cross-breeding. You have already stated you have enough to look after with elderly dogs. Why in hells name would you deliberately breed another litter? Go get your dogs neutered and prove you are a responsible dog owner. Honestly, now I'm bloody mad.
Sarah, good luck with the rabbit, and take no notice of crotchety old Commore

That is a load of nonsense!
I am not bitter, and I never have been about anything,
and I am not irresponsible either
and I will not apologise for having a mind of my own,
I do not need lecturing by you, Sarah or anyone else,
yours, your friends and Sarah's high and mighty know it all attiitudes are both condescending and unacceptable and
I will not be bullied into agreeing with something that I do not believe and ganging up on me on this forum is no exception.

I am looking for suitable homes for my lovely cross breed puppies,
I did not commit a murder, nor did I commit that gawd awful crime of abandoning an animal, nor will I,

So for the benefit of the doubt,
my lovely cross breed puppies will remain with us, if suitable homes cannot be found and I will decide what if any action I take with regard to spaying etc,

I trust this clarifies my position?

sweetpea
13-Nov-10, 12:30

Sooner or later he's going to end up dead under a car, or from a dog etc. The person I work with knows the owners, who have apparently said they are going to catch him and just take him down to the beach and let him go as they are bored of him. [evil]

Hi Sarah, just wondered if your sister got anywhere with speaking to them. I know what I would do, that rabbit would be home with me, lol. ;)

Commore
15-Nov-10, 20:43
Curiosity killed the cat and at the risk of being shot down in flames,
what news of the rabbit?

teenybash
16-Nov-10, 00:42
Hopefully good....like you we are all waiting....:eek:

Sarah
02-Dec-10, 20:34
Sorry for not coming on sooner, silly internet broke down on me. I spoke to the owners myself, mentioned how there can be a fine up to £5000 for releasing him into the wild, and funnily enough, they fixed his hutch soon enough after that :D They caught him and said they would be making sure he did no more escaping.

I'm not sure if I believe them exactly, but I haven't seen the rabbit out since, so that must be a good sign :) I'm glad he's at least warm and snuggled in his hutch, its absolutely freezing here!

Thanks to everyone who helped out!

mirandarainbow
11-Jul-11, 15:15
Sarah, did anything come of this situation? Poor little animal! I have a rabbit and a guinea pig myself and i'd hate for them to ever disappear! Hope it works out well for the wee mite :) People on this may be questioning why you're 'interfering' as such with their ownership but you're obviously just kind hearted - I'd be exactly the same! Can't help worry!

Sarah
11-Jul-11, 22:39
Sarah, did anything come of this situation? Poor little animal! I have a rabbit and a guinea pig myself and i'd hate for them to ever disappear! Hope it works out well for the wee mite :) People on this may be questioning why you're 'interfering' as such with their ownership but you're obviously just kind hearted - I'd be exactly the same! Can't help worry!

They gave him back to the breeder. She's the kind of person who will breed anything that moves. But also, he should at least be contained.