PDA

View Full Version : Are you happy with your lot ?

Alice in Blunderland
10-Nov-10, 13:06
Are you happy as you are ? Would you like to see changes.

For me I have my health my family and Im happy, life is good.

One or two minor things I would change however some are not in my control.

I would like to see this sticky mess that this country seems to be in sorted out and a better job security for many of my friends but otherwise........ Im happy with my lot. ( a phrase I got from my granny )

What about others ?? :Razz

shazzap
10-Nov-10, 13:12
A definite and resounding.............. NO.

Commore
10-Nov-10, 13:29
Good post and one which should attract many comments,

Am I happy with my lot? In a nutshell no.
Why am I unhappy'
well having relocated to the area I had high expectations, I had imagined a certain dignity in my future, no or little stress and above all things, peace and quiet, instead I get what I left behind a certain amount stress, hassle, anxiety.........
and the wheels of power are so laid back they might just as well be on them, their backs that is,
frustration riding high at the apparent incompetence of the so very few that really could make a difference!
Here I am talking about the civil servants in their extremely comfortable positions in their nice warm offices and their nice big cars.
Not for them to bother themselves with what's going on on the ground so to speak,
not for them to bother to acknowledge an email or a phone call and as for the possibility of a visit, well that is just pie in the sky.

I don't think that there is anywhere else in the entire UK, where there is such a lack-a-daisy attitude as there is up here,
is it I wonder that in the highlands, the highlanders are so aloof and happy with their lot, that nothing else matters.

neilsermk1
10-Nov-10, 13:41
Good post and one which should attract many comments,

Am I happy with my lot? In a nutshell no.
Why am I unhappy'
well having relocated to the area I had high expectations, I had imagined a certain dignity in my future, no or little stress and above all things, peace and quiet, instead I get what I left behind a certain amount stress, hassle, anxiety.........
and the wheels of power are so laid back they might just as well be on them, their backs that is,
frustration riding high at the apparent incompetence of the so very few that really could make a difference!
Here I am talking about the civil servants in their extremely comfortable positions in their nice warm offices and their nice big cars.
Not for them to bother themselves with what's going on on the ground so to speak,
not for them to bother to acknowledge an email or a phone call and as for the possibility of a visit, well that is just pie in the sky.

I don't think that there is anywhere else in the entire UK, where there is such a lack-a-daisy attitude as there is up here,
is it I wonder that in the highlands, the highlanders are so aloof and happy with their lot, that nothing else matters.
The A9 runs in both directions

Bobbyian
10-Nov-10, 13:46
I´m Happy with my LOT.....
A lovel Wife , Nice Kids , Nice Grandchildren, Nice Nieghbours, and a reasonably secure Job, I´m not that well off, but I can Pay my bills. Of course it could be better But as I said >I`m Happy with my Lot < It just so happens. I don´t have the scenary that I would have liked.

and why people have to be one better than the other and fight and stress themselves I will never understand.

Hoida
10-Nov-10, 13:57
I am happy with my lot .Yes maybe afew changes I'd like with regard to family living so far away but hey we can't have everything.We only get out of life what we put in to it and I am happy.:D:D:D

jings00
10-Nov-10, 13:58
aye, i do alright :-)

shazzap
10-Nov-10, 14:06
I am happy with my lot .Yes maybe afew changes I'd like with regard to family living so far away but hey we can't have everything.We only get out of life what we put in to it and I am happy.:D:D:D

I am glad that you are happy with your lot.
But, have to say Hoida. That i don not believe that your quote.
You get out of life what you put into it, is.... Applicable to all.

Dadie
10-Nov-10, 14:17
Yes im happy!
If you are not happy change the things you can to make things better and accept the things you cant!
Money cannot buy happiness but it would make being miserable more comfortable...etc..etc...

golach
10-Nov-10, 15:44

I was a Civil Servant for 33 years, never owned a car, and standing on the quayside at Leith Docks at 3am on a January, tallying containers, was neither warm or comfortable. Leith docks example is just one of many I could list, not all Civil Servants work in doors!!!!!!!

But am I happy with my lot? Yes, maybe, no sure, depending on my mood.

Kodiak
10-Nov-10, 15:45
It is very true...........Money does NOT buy you everything.............For No matter how much money you have, it will NOT buy you Poverty. :D

upolian
10-Nov-10, 15:52
I'm happy,would like my mum to get better as soon as!

Kodiak
10-Nov-10, 15:59
I was a Civil Servant for 33 years, never owned a car, and standing on the quayside at Leith Docks at 3am on a January, tallying containers, was neither warm of comfortable. Leith docks example is just one of many I could list, not all Civil Servants work in doors!!!!!!!

I was also a Civil Servant for Many Years. I was a Lighthouse Keeper and that was a Civil Service Job.

That was not only outside but in the middle of nowhere mostly. Out in all weather's, at times whem most people were cosy in bed. Sometimes out in the dead of night in a Blizzard clambering around on the top of a Lighthouse trying to keep the snow clear so as to show a Bright and Clear Light.

So I agree with you, not all Civil Servants work in a nice cosy & safe environment.

squidge
10-Nov-10, 16:11
Me? yes yes yes yes yes. I dont have anything much. I dont own a house, I dont have any savings, Im too fat, I have a rather elderly car, I am waging a war with BT which drives me to distraction, I am irritated and annoyed by the current political impetus and I keep my soapbox in my bag for ready access lol, I am coppering up how much Christmas is going to cost with my eyes shut lol but....

I have a wonderful husband who loves to read in bed, funny, kind and intelligent grown up children, a completely thoughtless and self obsessed teenager who flashes the hints of the lovely man he will be....... occasionally lol and two darling and delightful babies who fill all our days with smiles and lovely parents in law. At least once a week my dining room is filled with chatter and laughter as some friends or other join us for dinner and I speak to my amazing mum almost every day as my dad listens on the handsfree ( they live in France).

Of course i have frustrations and stresses and moody days and days when it all seems a bit hard work. It hasnt always been this way for me but I am glad every day that i am where i am.

Now if you would just like to pass the bucket around you are excused if you would like to throw up lol.

Angela
10-Nov-10, 16:13
It varies from day to day. I have three smashing grown up children, all settled with partners that I get on well with, two wonderful little granddaughters, some good friends and my lovely cat.

But I do miss my late husband and wish he was still here with me, I do wish I was in better health so I could do more, and I wish I didn't have to be always worrying about money and feeling anxious about the future.

I do worry not just about my own future but about my children's job and housing prospects and what the world will be like for my grandchildren.

I'm happy with my lot so long as I just take one day at a time and I don't think about it too much. :roll:

teddybear1873
10-Nov-10, 16:22
It could be better, but then again it could be worse.

I haven't seen my kids in 2 years, so thats a negative.

I haven't seen my first grandchild, who is 6 months old, so there's another major negative.

If I was just a little closer to my kids and family, I would be happier.

The cost of living to me has shot up this last 2 years. If money wasn't such a factor, I certainly would be happier.

To me, there's seems to be more cons rather than pro's in life. I worry and wonder what It's going to be like for our grandchildren in 20-30 years time.

lindsaymcc
10-Nov-10, 16:27
On a whole, yes Im happy.

I have 3 gorgeous children who are all healthy.

I am losing weight to try and get back to my pre-kid state, so thats a positive.

I have a roof over my head, it may not be "mine" in that we are Housing Association, but its water tight, warm and "home".

My husband isnt too goo health wise, but thanks to the NHS it is manageable at present.

Money is tight, and luxeries few, but happiness comes from within, not from material items. Not disputing the fact that a lottery win (or more than a tenner!) would change my life, but it would only bring happiness in terms of what I could do for others!

Ask me tomorrow, I could say something completely different, but right now, all is good, and my biggest concern is what to feed the kids for tea!

onecalledk
10-Nov-10, 16:50
There is a lot of fear being peddled about in the world today, switch on the news and you hear of all the horrible things that human beings do to each other, read the paper more of the same.

Do people in todays world know how to find happiness? do they give thanks for what they HAVE as opposed to moan about what they dont have ?

Your question about happiness comes a couple of days after conversations with people about how lucky we are in this country as opposed to other countries. We dont live with the threat of someone coming to take us out of our beds in the middle of the night never to be seen again. We can go to hospital if need be and not have to worry about being able to pay for any treatment we might get whilst there etc etc .....

We perhaps need to focus on the positve and not give in to the negative. We each of us make our own reality, so we have a choice at any given moment in time to have the glass half full version of our reality or the glass half empty.

I wonder how rich we would be if for every negative thought or worry that skooshed into our heads we got a £1! Perhaps in this switched on at all times 24X7 world we should focus more on each moment of our lives. We rob ourselves of so much by focusing on what will happen next week or next year. We can only change our thoughts on a minute by minute basis.

Perhaps the happiest people alive are the people who refuse to listen to the negative. We can be happy at any point we choose, its up to us to give ourselves permission to be happy as no one else has the responsbility for our happiness but ourselves.

:)
K
(as she skips off to hug the trees in her garden ;))

Hoida
10-Nov-10, 16:57

I do agree Shazzap it is not applicable to all and I should probably have said that:)

Alan16
10-Nov-10, 17:16
It is very true...........Money does NOT buy you everything.............For No matter how much money you have, it will NOT buy you Poverty. :D

On a similar vain - if money can't buy you happiness you're not spending it right.

Anyway, am I happy with my lot? Yes. I'm in a long and happy relationship. I'm at uni doing a degree that I love. I have my own flat. And I'm currently lying in bed with some nice music on, relaxing on my day off. Life, right now, is good. :D

Commore
10-Nov-10, 17:25
The A9 runs in both directions

Like I said, no cares for anyone or anything.

Iffy
10-Nov-10, 17:26
http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=56891

Commore
10-Nov-10, 17:27
No it's not sometimes it costs a lot more than was bargained for and usually because of the actions / inactions of others!

Commore
10-Nov-10, 17:33
I was also a Civil Servant for Many Years. I was a Lighthouse Keeper and that was a Civil Service Job.

That was not only outside but in the middle of nowhere mostly. Out in all weather's, at times whem most people were cosy in bed. Sometimes out in the dead of night in a Blizzard clambering around on the top of a Lighthouse trying to keep the snow clear so as to show a Bright and Clear Light.

So I agree with you, not all Civil Servants work in a nice cosy & safe environment.

Ok, ok not all civil servants are lazy, or work indoors etc etc,
I was using the civil service as an example,
and in my experience most highlanders, those of whom I personally come into contact with are on the whole "a" ok, but there are those who are without doubt living in the dark ages and who for reasons of their own have not yet caught up with the world.

Duncansby
10-Nov-10, 17:44
So how do you know that those, whom you don't come into contact with, are living in the dark ages?

Commore
10-Nov-10, 17:52
So how do you know that those, whom you don't come into contact with, are living in the dark ages?
Because the bulk of them are civil servants, laid flat on their backs.
Heart lazy and Kidney be bothered.

NickInTheNorth
10-Nov-10, 17:58
I'm very hapy with my lot.

I'm reasonably healthy, apart from depression, diabetes, and obesity.

I'm out of work, but enjoying doing some worthwhile voluntary work.

I am in the process of being made bankrupt.

However, I have four wonderful kids who are succeeding in the many endeavours they undertake.

I have a wife who deserves being made a saint for putting up with me.

All my family are in good health.

I have a roof over my head, and food on the table.

Having been homeless and penniless less that 4 years past I can really count my blessings.

There are many things in the world which are beyond my power to change that I would like to see changed, but there is nothing that is within my control that I would change.

lindsaymcc
10-Nov-10, 18:46
Nick in the North...... I know your wife dont I ?! 4 kids as in 2 young boys, 2 older girls?!

Oh and I agree with most of what you say!

NickInTheNorth
10-Nov-10, 18:51
Nick in the North...... I know your wife dont I ?! 4 kids as in 2 young boys, 2 older girls?!

Oh and I agree with most of what you say!

You certainly do.

Do you remember the sad state we were in 4 years ago...?

lindsaymcc
10-Nov-10, 18:53
I do, and hence I feel so lucky for what I do have.

The trials you and your family have been through still amaze me, and yet here you are smiling and being upstanding members of the community!

I seriously need some of your shopping tips though! £85 in Tesco yesterday and that will only last til the weekend!!!!

NickInTheNorth
10-Nov-10, 19:30
I do, and hence I feel so lucky for what I do have.

The trials you and your family have been through still amaze me, and yet here you are smiling and being upstanding members of the community!

I seriously need some of your shopping tips though! £85 in Tesco yesterday and that will only last til the weekend!!!!

Well I have to admit we spent another £30 in Tesco on things that Lidl either do not do, or for a few items that Tesco are cheaper on.

But that £72 will last until at least this time next week, with possibly another 4 litres of milk required at the weekend.

Corrie 3
10-Nov-10, 19:31
are those who are without doubt living in the dark ages and who for reasons of their own have not yet caught up with the world.
Oh come on Conmore, have you seen the state of the world? Why on earth would we want to catch up with it? You seem to be in a hurry with your life, perhaps you spent far too long in the big city!!!!!!
Chill out, relax, enjoy Caithness and all it has to offer. I cant think of a better place to live and I have seen quite a lot of the world in my time..and...as someone pointed out earlier, the A9 goes both ways and if you arent happy with your "Highland Lot" then go back to where you came from but please dont try and change our relaxed way of life.
Slow down or you will end up having serious illness's.

C3.....:roll:

ShelleyCowie
10-Nov-10, 19:36

I got some great bargains there today! My shopping should have come to £70, it cost me less than £30 ;)

Anyways....on with the thread!

If someone is not happy with what they have there is only 1 person who can change that and thats themselves.

i am estatic with what i have! An excellent husband who i love so much! 2 healthy sons who i love to the moon and back and 2 step sons who brighten my day everytime i see them! My family is great. I have a roof over my head, food for everyone.

I love my life because thats the way i make it. But i worry for the future of my kids. Jobs are hard to come by, education seems pointless because you may train to be a doctor...but will likely end up as anything but that because of the pay offs! If house prices are soaring now...what are they going to be like in just a few years?

But i will deal with that when it comes to it and help my kids as much as i can. For now...im enjoying the moment! :Razz

Commore
10-Nov-10, 19:42
Oh come on Conmore, have you seen the state of the world? Why on earth would we want to catch up with it? You seem to be in a hurry with your life, perhaps you spent far too long in the big city!!!!!!
Chill out, relax, enjoy Caithness and all it has to offer. I cant think of a better place to live and I have seen quite a lot of the world in my time..and...as someone pointed out earlier, the A9 goes both ways and if you arent happy with your "Highland Lot" then go back to where you came from but please dont try and change our relaxed way of life.
Slow sown or you will end up having serious illness's.

C3.....:roll:

C3, no disrespect but you should learn to read between the lines,
and for the benefit of the doubt, I am a perfectly happy, confident individual, I am well adjusted to life in the North, I am on the whole a very happy person............................

lindsaymcc
10-Nov-10, 19:42
That £85 had savings of £12 taken off!

I say it should only last to the weekend - depends what I do with it I guess! Im hoping to get through til Tuesday with just needing fruit/veg/milk on top!

Duncansby
10-Nov-10, 19:54
Because the bulk of them are civil servants, laid flat on their backs.
Heart lazy and Kidney be bothered.

Oh dear you seem to be making an awful lot of generalisations - if you find the Highlands that bad you can always go back.

I am very happy with my lot but the one thing that would make it better would be a job opportunity to come up for me backhome in Caithness.

NickInTheNorth
10-Nov-10, 19:58
That £85 had savings of £12 taken off!

I say it should only last to the weekend - depends what I do with it I guess! Im hoping to get through til Tuesday with just needing fruit/veg/milk on top!

see new thread

http://forum.caithness.org/images/misc/subscribed.gif costs of feeding a family (http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=127176)

cuddlepop
10-Nov-10, 21:46
I'm one of lifes peoples who believe they're not "allowed" to be happy so tend to sabotage their own happiness.:(

Just now I'm too restless for my own good so blame others.

Corrie 3
10-Nov-10, 22:16
I'm one of lifes peoples who believe they're not "allowed" to be happy so tend to sabotage their own happiness.:(

Just now I'm too restless for my own good so blame others.
Thats not good Cuddlepop, everyone should be happy in life, we arent here long enough to be miserable or unhappy. I hope you are getting some help and support!!!

Be happy !!!......C3....:)

ShelleyCowie
10-Nov-10, 23:42
It could be better, but then again it could be worse.

I haven't seen my kids in 2 years, so thats a negative.

I haven't seen my first grandchild, who is 6 months old, so there's another major negative.

If I was just a little closer to my kids and family, I would be happier.

The cost of living to me has shot up this last 2 years. If money wasn't such a factor, I certainly would be happier.

To me, there's seems to be more cons rather than pro's in life. I worry and wonder what It's going to be like for our grandchildren in 20-30 years time.

Come home then! Maybe there is other family members who want to see u! [smirk] it has been so long! :~(

Vistravi
11-Nov-10, 14:10
Am i happy? Sometimes. At times things get too much. But my son's face and smile when he sees me for the first time in the morning always makes me happy. I can never be truly unhappy while me son makes me happy with his smile, love and the quirky things he does.

Change in our situation i think will help alot. We are going to be moving at the weekend which as much as i dispise moving does make me feel happy as its our own family home for now. Future plans are to move away and buy our own house down south. Coming back from holiday from lancashire and this time round we are both keen to buy our house there in the next couple of years.