PDA

View Full Version : Reiss

Liz
05-Aug-06, 13:08
Can anyone tell me how I go about finding out what was on the land before the house I live in was built?

Thanks!

fred
05-Aug-06, 18:59
Can anyone tell me how I go about finding out what was on the land before the house I live in was built?

Thanks!

That depends a lot on when your house was built.

The Ordnance Survey maps for 1877 are at http://www.old-maps.co.uk/

Liz
05-Aug-06, 23:10
That depends a lot on when your house was built.

The Ordnance Survey maps for 1877 are at http://www.old-maps.co.uk/

Thanks ever so much Fred.

Afraid I am hopeless with maps so can't fathom out where the area I live is!
Do you know what BM means?

All I seem to find are wells!:roll:

There must be have been quite a few people there though because of the school?

fred
06-Aug-06, 09:55
Thanks ever so much Fred.

Afraid I am hopeless with maps so can't fathom out where the area I live is!
Do you know what BM means?

All I seem to find are wells!:roll:

There must be have been quite a few people there though because of the school?

If there is a number after the BM then it stands for "Bench Mark". This is a line with an arrow pointing up under it which is usually carved into the stone of a building, the number is the height above sea level of the line.

A school did not necessarily mean a lot of people.

Doolally
06-Aug-06, 13:24
Zooming in on this 1927 Map of Caithness shows nothing down the Harland Road. I have a better map somewhere that I'll send to you if I can find it, but there was nothing from the Crossroads to the enterance to Nordwall until the council houses were built.

Liz
06-Aug-06, 17:55
Thanks a lot both. Really appreciate your help.

Liz
06-Aug-06, 18:39
I've been having a look at the map again and am fascinated to see that the school is situated by the Smithy as alway thought this was in Killimster.

I can't fathom out whether this was situated in the Harland Road or beside what is now the A9?

Doolally
06-Aug-06, 19:03
The school was situated off the main road.

The one at Killimster is the new school as far as I know.

fred
06-Aug-06, 19:17
This map was made in 1920.

http://www.graven-images.org.uk/temp/reiss.jpg

Liz
06-Aug-06, 22:19
The school was situated off the main road.

The one at Killimster is the new school as far as I know.

Do you know how far off the main road? I know it is in from the Smithy.

The Village Hall is beside us but can't remember when it was built so wonder whether the school was between it and the Smithy?

I'm ashamed how little I know about the area I live!:(

Doolally
09-Aug-06, 21:23
Liz,

Have a look at this section of map from 1877. It shows the school on the main road towards Wick from the Smithy.

I've also been speaking with someone who has been in the area since the year dot and he says that the school was moved to Killimster since before his day. I reckon that narrows it down that the school was moved to Killimster from Reiss between 1877 and about 1925.

Still nothing much done the Harland Road.

If your interested in the area though, I have a description and plan from 1911 showing the broch at Nordwall. Let me know if you want to see it and I'll scan it in.

If you find out any more let me know!!

Liz
10-Aug-06, 13:04
Thanks Doolally! It is really interesting to know that there was another school before Killimster.

Yes I would like to see the description and plan from 1911 if you can manage to scan it.

I still wonder why the hall was situated where it was?

Have come to a halt in my search as not sure where to look next.

Doolally
10-Aug-06, 21:58
Will try and get it done.

Did you know that the hall was used during the Second World War as a radio operations room?

Liz
10-Aug-06, 22:10
Will try and get it done.

Did you know that the hall was used during the Second World War as a radio operations room?

To my shame I didn't know that! Thanks a lot for all the info. It is very interesting.

Doolally
14-Aug-06, 18:29
You may find this of interest as well :
http://www.subbrit.org.uk/rsg/sites/w/wick_rotor/index.html

Liz
14-Aug-06, 19:27

Yes it is interesting thanks!

I knew these buildings had something to do with the war but wasn't sure what.

Also one of the buildings was where Paul Ysart made glass products.

jimbews
15-Aug-06, 14:48

Quoting from the article it says " broken up by the farmer for fire wood".
Thinking back about 50 years I seem to remember being told that the houses built either for Harry Gunn east of Reiss Lodge and/or his brother John Gunn at Sibster Mains used beautiful teak flooring recovered from that site. Presumably these buildings had reverted to the family as John and Harry's father had Sibster Mains, and the uncle Reiss farm.

Then again, as I would have been quite young at the time, I probably picked it up wrong.

I remember cycling out from Wick to Sibster as a youngster, and Harry had the dubious pleasure of preparing me for my driving test.

Also brings back memories of cycling to Killimster, where William (?) MacPherson (in my class at school) lived with his mother who was the Killimster school teacher.

Jim Bews

Liz
15-Aug-06, 18:00
Quoting from the article it says " broken up by the farmer for fire wood".
Thinking back about 50 years I seem to remember being told that the houses built either for Harry Gunn east of Reiss Lodge and/or his brother John Gunn at Sibster Mains used beautiful teak flooring recovered from that site. Presumably these buildings had reverted to the family as John and Harry's father had Sibster Mains, and the uncle Reiss farm.

Then again, as I would have been quite young at the time, I probably picked it up wrong.

I remember cycling out from Wick to Sibster as a youngster, and Harry had the dubious pleasure of preparing me for my driving test.

Also brings back memories of cycling to Killimster, where William (?) MacPherson (in my class at school) lived with his mother who was the Killimster school teacher.

Jim Bews

Yes it was William McPherson who was the schoolteacher's son (and Stuart his brother) She was one of the 'old style' very strict teachers but thankfully by the time I went to the school she had mellowed a wee bit thankfully although could still wield the strap!!!!