PDA

View Full Version : Accommodation Wick

Rhandy
09-Nov-10, 04:18
I am trying very hard to be able to visit Wick next year. I was looking for a clean B & B close to transport and the Library. I also want to visit Olrig Cemetery.
Could anyone possibly give me some guidance please.:eek:

Cheers
Rhandy
NSW Australia

phil_moonbeam
09-Nov-10, 04:50
Hi

acommadation wick there is loads right in the centre of town plenty of hotels and guest houses all very clean all friendly like all us wickers all close to transport links but if olrig cemetery is a priority for visitng you may be better staying on the thurso side of the county maybe even castletown itself were olrig cementry is again all friendly people again hope this helps you

Rhandy
09-Nov-10, 05:00
Thanks Phill, I have only just started planning as I didn't think I would ever get there. I have been talking about it for months and have decided NOW is the time. Oh well, in your Summer.
Seems I need to go to Glasgow and come up by train. Just hope Wickers can understand my rather thick Aussie accent.
In my small town we don't have buses, trains or taxis so I suppose I will have to remember that Wick does have these things.
I will be making good use of Cathness.org business page.
Thanks again, I am getting very excited already. woohoo

Cheers
Rhandy:Razz

upolian
09-Nov-10, 08:31
Enjoy your trip :D i would highly recommend you ask in the recommendations section before using other services like taxis..etc

Hen Broon
09-Nov-10, 10:16
Rhandy you can get buses around the county from Wick or Thurso, you can get an all day caithness roamer (may not be right name) for aroun £5 that lets youuse the bus in the county all day, so you could say take a bus from wick to castletown ,finnish your business then off to thurso or John o groats etc
just look under tourist info on this ite for hotels and B&B's many will have web sites or email address's so you can always check out prices and location before you book.
I'm sure you'll have a great time and you've plenty of time to organize

Rhandy
09-Nov-10, 19:14
Thank you Hen and opolian. The bus pass sounds just the thing I need. I also received 2 PM's with more information. This sounds like one part of the trip I don't have to worry too much about thanks to the wonderful orgers and this site.
I have a photo of great, great, great grandmothers grave kindly sent to me by an orger and its in Olrig. I so want to see it 'in the flesh' so to speak. Wick Library also a point of call (Hello Rob Bain) Visit a proper Scottish pub too.

Sadly unless things change I can only spend 5-7 days in Caithness as I also wish to visit Renfrewshire and Sussex England.

Thanks again
Rhandy

Rhandy
12-Nov-10, 03:40
Any one who PM'd me. I accidently deleted 4 PM's could you please tell me again...very sorry

Cheers
Rhandy:(

Hoida
12-Nov-10, 16:35
Hope your arrangements all go well. Found it interesting you are visiting Renfrewshire can I ask where in Renfrewshire. I was born and bred there and would be interested to know may even be able to point you in direction of some accommodation as we have used a variety of B&B's :)

Rhandy
12-Nov-10, 20:51
Hi Hoida,
I'm going to Johnston in Paisley. My Robertson/Fletcher line is there. GGGgrandfather owned several properties on the High St, one in Houston Sq and a few others.
Thanks for your interest.

Cheers
Rhandy

Hoida
13-Nov-10, 15:09
I am from the Johnstone area and still have family there. There used to be a shoemaker/cobbler by the name of Brown but believe there was also arobertson connection, at the back of Houston Square.
They have a very good History Society.There is lso a Johnstone History Museum which opens Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturday 10.30a.m.-4p.m.
B&B's are bit thin on the ground and we stayed in Howwood last time we were down(about 3 miles)
I am sure you will find people very helpful :)

Rhandy
14-Nov-10, 20:24
Thanks Hoida,
I will add this information to my notes. Booked the flight but haven't got my passport renewal yet. Talk about back to front.

Thanks
Cheers
Rhandy