PDA

View Full Version : Mars 'Training' ship for boys

Duncansby
08-Nov-10, 15:17
I've just been reading the Groat and came across a story about the training ship Mars in the 100 years ago section. I've never heard about such ships before, other than the prison ships of the 19th century which also had child inmates at times. Does anyone know anything about these training ships?

I came across this (http://www.sonsofthemars.com/) website. But as it quotes a passage from William McGonagall I'm a bit dubious of its seriousness :lol:

sweetpea
08-Nov-10, 15:21
I read that story too and it's even more amazing that the lad got sent on it for 5 years for not going to school! Great wee story. Sorry I don't know anything about these ships either.

achingale
08-Nov-10, 15:24
There is a book out about it called 'We'll send ye tae the Mars.' Very interesting read.

Tubthumper
08-Nov-10, 16:03
There are still Sail Training ships on the go today, great character building opportunities for young men and women. Wish I'd gone on one when I was a sprog!

Unfortunately, those who would benefit most from a spell on one (e.g. trainee junkies or plonkies, idle neds and chavs, young 'uns from 'problem' backgrounds, them kids who always need financial help but who can't find a job at all ever, or when they do get helped into one are too lazy to get up in the morning and keep it, the ones that never bothered at school but made life a misery for the ones that did, those 'special' types with no real difficulties beyond laziness or determination to mimic rotten role models etc.) wouldn't go near them with a bargepole as they involve that alien concept known as 'work' in return for improved chances in life. [evil]

If this proposed 'work for yer benefits' plan comes together, it's going to be a shock to the systems of some folk!

Gronnuck
08-Nov-10, 16:05
Nautical Training ships were dotted around the coast of Britain for over 100 years. They provided a means of training boys and young men for a life at sea whether in the Navy, Merchant Marine or on fishing vessels. Details of the Mars can be found here (http://www.sonsofthemars.com/) as Duncansby has already pointed out. The 'poem' by William Topaz McGonagall of Dundee was as lowly as his usual literary standard, LoL.
For more info there’s a book called ‘Nautical Training Ships by Phil Carradice.

embow
08-Nov-10, 16:43
The Mars Training Ship lay about a half mile off Woodhaven which is now part of the Burgh of Newport-on -Tay on the opposite side of the Firth of Tay from Dundee despite it being known as Dundee's Training Ship. It went in the late 1920's. When I was a youngster there were a number of buildings still extant on shore which were related to the Mars. There was a hospital (which had been changed into two flats), a workshop( which the local joiner used) and a large swimming baths(derelict by then) where theboys were given swimming lessons. Further up from the shore there had been a large area of gardens where gardening was taught and vegetables were grown. The local town council took over the ground when the Mars was closed down and built council houses on the site in the late 20s to early 30s and called the cul de sac street Mars Gardens.
The Mars boys sometimes lay on the side of the railway(now closed) embankment and spelt out their name or other message as a demonstration piece -usually "Mars Boys" or "Happy New Year" or "Happy Xmas".
The Mars Pier at Woodhaven was also used by the Norwegian Air Force and the Flying Boats or Catalinas during World War 2 and there is a war memorial at the Pier to the Mars boys who lost their lives in World War 1 along with a Norwegian War Memorial. The local joiner and his family who lived in Mars Cottage flew the Norwegian flag every Norway Independence Day and were friends with the Norwegian Royal Family having been to Oslo and King Olav also over here visiting them.
There are images of the Mars on Google Images to let you see what the ship looked like and most have been taken from the Woodhaven shore and the pier is very evident in the photos. The ground on which the baths were once standing now contains the boats of Wormit Sailing Club and they are the main users of the pier as far as I am aware. Google maps also lets you see what the area is like.
Finally our next door neighbour's father was an officer on the Mars and was on duty the night the first Tay Railway Bridge was torn down in the great storm with the loss of around 76 people who were on the train at the time it was crossing the Tay. Mars boys were called out in the boats to look for survivors but there none, only bodies in the water.

susan.leith
08-Nov-10, 18:32
Re being sent away for 5 years - when researching my family tree, I found a 12 year old relative (my gg uncle) who was sent to prison for 9 days and then on to a reformatory farm school for 5 years for stealing a watch. I was able to see his admission papers from the farm school, and it stated that 5 years was the recommended time all boys required to "reform".

northener
08-Nov-10, 20:03
I remember seeing the Sail Training Ship 'Foudroyant' anchored in Portsmouth back in the '70's when I was in the RN.

She was originally HMS Trincomalee, built in 1816. It used to amaze me that a warship from the days of fighting sail had managed to survive for so long. She's since been fully refitted and lies in Hartlepool. She's the second oldest floating ship in the world. I must go and see her sometime.

http://www.royalnavalmuseum.org/info_sheets_foudroyant.htm

embow
08-Nov-10, 21:19
Photos of Mars War Memorial and Norwegian Stone at Woodhaven Pier also known in the past as the Mars Pier. http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanlgray78/page2/

Whitewater
09-Nov-10, 00:00
I've enjoyed reading through this thread. It must be my age, but when I was young and my father was away at sea (he was the engineer on the St Ninian), if I ever overstepped the line by too much, my mother always threatened me with the Mars training ship. Until now I never knew what it was and never bothered finding out. Now I know. I may have actually enjoyed it.