PDA

View Full Version : Electricity Bills

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
07-Nov-10, 18:20
How much are you paying for electricty a month ?

Just got a bill from 26th of Aug to 3rd of Nov - nearly fell over....

Over £100 a month .....how can this be??????????????????????????/

It's not even the deepest darkest depths of winter yet - is it really the tumble driers fault???????

Does anyone have the hydro iplan thing?

is it any good?

lindsaymcc
07-Nov-10, 18:24
Cost of gas and electricity is scary isnt it!

We are on pre-pay meters, and through the summer pay less than £5 a week on the gas, and about £8 a week on the electric.

Since the colder whether, we are up to £15 a week on both, so £120 a month on average.

I guess the only option is to turn it off and layer up!!!! But I like my home comforts too much!

Leanne
07-Nov-10, 18:30
£60 per month on electric here :(

Kodiak
07-Nov-10, 18:35
I am paying £40 a Week right now so that works out at £160 per Month. By the time the real cold weather comes I will be up to £200 a Month.
No wonder I never have any spare cash. :~(

orkneycadian
07-Nov-10, 18:39
How much are you paying for electricty a month ?

9/10s of sod all! Get it from the wind turbine! Little more than standing charge to pay each quarter!

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
07-Nov-10, 18:44
9/10s of sod all! Get it from the wind turbine! Little more than standing charge to pay each quarter!

Been thinking about that , we are in a temporary place while renovating our new house.....

How do we go about finding out more??

Have tried pricing and looking at grants but nothing looked too fruitful

south view 7
07-Nov-10, 19:18
Go to www.hydro.co.uk (http://www.hydro.co.uk) and you will find all thier tariffs and information about wind generation

Hoida
07-Nov-10, 19:19
We pay £73 a month for electricity by Direct Debit and we have oil on top of that:~(

jazzyr1
07-Nov-10, 19:30
but how much did it cost to buy/erect/commision etc?

LMS
07-Nov-10, 19:55
The Hydro have a multitude of different tariffs and they vary a lot in price. They are very helpful and it would be worth a call to see if they can put you onto a cheaper tariff. I can't comment on the other suppliers. For example, some tariffs have no standing charge but a higher rate per unit. This is ideal for a shed or garage with little use but no use for a home. A home is better on a lower rate per unit and a daily standing charge.

For elderly people or others on a tight budget, they have a energycare plus tarriff which offers big savings. This is for people who are spending over x% of their income on utilities. The saving is roughly 50%.

For reference, I pay over £100/month on electricity, £130/month on gas and £20/month on bottled gas.

Ricco
07-Nov-10, 20:14
Ouch! That is high. Mind you, tumble dryers to use a lot of 'tricity. I wind dry mine as much as possible - even today was good enough. Then an iron finishes them off and I leave things on a hanger or clothes rack to air overnight. Trouble with a tumble dryer is that it 'cooks' the creases in and they don't iron out too well.

Pay something like £40 per month and often get a rebate! Well, a deduction from the next bill anyway. Sometimes the 'tricity offsets the gas. :D

badger
07-Nov-10, 20:43

and who do you think is paying for this - we are, the rest of us who don't have these things, through our bills. That's why elec. prices are going through the roof. The crazy new Feed in Tariff pays people not just for what they sell to the grid but for what they use themselves, how mad is that? This was shown on Landward tv programme recently. People with turbines making money and their neighbours paying for it.

orkneycadian
07-Nov-10, 20:49
Sorry to burst your bubble, Badger, but I don't claim Feed in Tariff! :roll:

badger
07-Nov-10, 20:55
Sorry to burst your bubble, Badger, but I don't claim Feed in Tariff! :roll:

Good for you, glad to hear it. Doesn't alter the fact that many do. I think the Govt. are planning to change the present over generous system some time in the future so maybe they've realised it's not such a good idea. I have no problem selling power to the grid but being paid for what you use is crazy.

Droopy
07-Nov-10, 21:08
Good for you, glad to hear it. Doesn't alter the fact that many do. I think the Govt. are planning to change the present over generous system some time in the future so maybe they've realised it's not such a good idea. I have no problem selling power to the grid but being paid for what you use is crazy.

Orkneycadian,

'Badger Baiting' is illegal in these here parts!...;):lol:

kel24
07-Nov-10, 23:15
We're paying at least £65 a month at the moment, this is sure to go up in the next few weeks. we have a pre pay meter and every year it becomes harder to afford electric, we put 2 heaters on the other night and more than £5 had been used up in less than 12 hours! we now have to just use 1 heater for the whole place and layer up!

Moonboots
08-Nov-10, 10:15
We are paying £80 a month for electric and £100 a month for gas which i think is a dam disgrace but never the less it will probably be higher this year over the winter time.

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
08-Nov-10, 10:43
i dont feel nearly so bad hearing what everyone else is paying too....phew

pinkandglittery2
08-Nov-10, 11:05
We've just moved from a house with town gas to an all electric house, and we are £40 a week MINIMUM at the min and it'll probs just go up when it gets colder!!its crazy!!

badger
08-Nov-10, 11:51
If only we had sensible Govt. policy it could be so different. More emphasis on conservation and less on generation would give us long term lower bills. If all new houses were built to a standard that required no, or very little, artificial heating (and it's perfectly possible) that would be a good start. Proper energy surveys of all existing buildings with subsidies to improve their insulation, heating systems etc. would cost in the short term but have much better, more economical long term effects.

There was a furious letter in, I think, the Groat recently complaining that local schools have to open their windows when classrooms get too hot because they can't control the heating [disgust] . Think what could be saved by the installation of thermostats - simples.

A local church recently announced with great pride that it would be floodlit in future - how mad is that? Christmas is coming and electricity will be wasted all over the country, paid for by us through our bills. Wouldn't it be nice if "less is more" were adopted - a few trees here and there with lights and forget the flashing Santas.