PDA

View Full Version : A bonny clear day for looking at Caithness!

orkneycadian
07-Nov-10, 13:33
Its gotten a bit hazier now, but earlier this morning was a right grand day for getting the telescope out and see what you lot are all up to! Clearest day I have seen in a long time!

Could see rabbits running around on the North side of Morven (;)), changilass hanging out the washing (;);)) and previously unseen wind turbines at Forss! Never knew that I could see 3 of them, but clear enough today to do so! Added to the 19 I can see at Causeymire, it makes for a bonny sight!

I am sure some of the hills I can see are further south than Morven, but its a bit of a job to try and figure out what they are. None are quite so distinctive in shape to enable positive ID from looking at contours on a map!

Errogie
07-Nov-10, 20:15
From Hoy, Ben Hope and Loyal can be seen to the far west but also the Beinn Griams on the Sutherland boundary to the right of Morven and its grouping with the three Scarabens and Smean or the Saddle as it is sometimes known.

Kenn
08-Nov-10, 00:13
Did you catch the glint from several sets of powerful field glasses?
Was a good day for squinting at Hoy!

changilass
08-Nov-10, 01:02
That'll be right Orkney one!!

The last lot of bad wind put the whirly thinggy out of action lol.

Wonder just whose kecks it was you were a spying:eek::lol:

annemarie482
08-Nov-10, 09:33
the view is very horizontal out my windows today!!:lol:

George Brims
09-Nov-10, 00:58
Could see rabbits running around on the North side of Morven (;))
There's no way you would see rabbits from that distance. They must have been a larger species of animal, probably haggis. I believe they are rutting just now.

Whitewater
09-Nov-10, 01:11
Your right George, the haggis are rutting at the present time, about another 3 weeks to go before the end of the season, and then they fatten up for shooting and feeding us on Burns night.

northener
09-Nov-10, 08:10
I know that from Keiss and Warth Hill you can see Ben Klibreck to the right of Ben Griam Beg and More - but it has to be exceptionally clear. I'm don't knowe if it is visible from Hoy though!