PDA

View Full Version : Animal Testing

munron
12-Aug-04, 11:45
I have been thinking for a few weeks on the animal rights / testing issues that was in the news. This was not helped by my mate telling me a rather bad story about Beagles, which I wont go into.

Anyway I wondered how do the people of Caithness feel about this subject. I found on the CO-OP's website a complete list of all the products they have and a statement from the company saying whether they do or dont. I think it must be the story above but whilst I am not going vegatarian (like my mate) I think I am going to have to study my shopping list more. As a pet owner I just dont think I can live with harming another in the name of beauty.

The other issue is health - personally myself rats are not my fav, but I guess I would be a hypocrite to differentiate between animals.

This is just a simple discussion and whilst I know it is an emotive subject this is not meant to flame.

Anonymous
12-Aug-04, 12:40
You would think that with today's supposed level of knowledge in chemistry and biology that they wouldn't even need to test things on animals.

Anyway, there are bound to be plenty of humans who would be willing to undergo small amounts of testing for a small fee. After all, there are plenty of drug trials etc that go on all the time without the hint of an animal being involved. Of course, animals work for much less and you dont even have to keep them alive :roll:

Interesting to hear of the Co-op, without going searching, what was the jist of their statement? anti testing? or only on some products? As we all know consumers vote with their feet, so this type of public statement on animal testing (and other issues) might become more commonplace. Big business will be on whatever side they are told by their customers to be the right side. Its a shame, but they dont seem to have a conscience of their own.

As for the rats, I don't like em either, must be the pin-striped suits :cool:

munron
12-Aug-04, 13:19
Hi

Here are the links to the statements from the makers of products, its A - Z so you can just select what you have in your bathroom (like me :eek: ) I will put the links below but the just is that the CO-OP's does not test on any of their beauty product with the exception of laundry items!!!

Specifc brand selection, I should have said this in the first post, this is any kind of main brand like Dove could be tested on animals but Imperial leather doesnt appear to be, A - Z guide:

Click here (http://www.co-op.co.uk/ext_1/Development.nsf/504ca249c786e20f85256284006da7ab/0c6ad8ed017a88010025672e0063948f?OpenDocument)

CO-OP's Statement and Policy

Click here (http://www.co-op.co.uk/ext_1/Development.nsf/504ca249c786e20f85256284006da7ab/f885b00365cab8160025672f0030667e?OpenDocument#CO-OP%20BRAND)

Whoops I got a message about Caps writing - I dont think that I am and my caps lock is off - if this does come out in caps pls accept my apologies - not shouting, quite calm actually :D

Anyway this shouldnt be about people chucking out things that they have just paid good money for - but probably a bit of knowledge for the future shopping trips. This has certainly got the debate going in our office :lol:

golach
12-Aug-04, 13:40
Munron,
well done for the info, I found it very interesting and informative

Golach

Liz
12-Aug-04, 19:25
I am totally against testing on animals but have to say it is an absolute minefield trying to obtain 'cruelty free' products! :roll:
It doesn't just apply to cosmetics etc either as most foodstuffs are made by large companies who invest in animal testing. Even pet food companies, like Iams, use animal testing and I don't just mean feeding them!!!!

With re 'medical' testing there are two charities which use 'non animal research' and these are the Dr Hadwen Trust and Humane Research Trust.

One of the best places to get info on cruelty free products etc is BUAV (British Union for the Abolition of Vivisection). They have a very informative website.

It is awful to think of the huge number of animals who are suffering in laboratories and it is up to us to stop it!

rich
12-Aug-04, 20:02
There are some areas where it is impossible to dispense with animal models for testing. The development of anti-cancer treatments and medicines aimed at HIV being two. The field of neurology is another area where rats seem to be vital. Of course, testing cosmetic products on animals is a crime but scientific research is one of the glories of the human race. (Any opinions about stem cells?)