PDA

View Full Version : Cyber bullies operating caithness.org

Catharnach74
07-Nov-10, 12:34
Cyber bullies are cowards, who use the Internet to unleash their viciousness on victims, whom they would never dare to face in person. Look no further than even a civilised Discussion Board caithness.org. There are loads of bullies who through nasty personal attacks sometime vindictive, just search for an individual using caithness.org to have a weakness so they can attack, this could make a weaker person feel bad about themselves and could if the circumstances are right take them over the edge. Luckily I'm big and bad enough to take personal attacks it on the chin but a forum should be a place for "friendly debate" not a slanging match to see who can fart the loudest.

By the way I wrote this text!

John Little
07-Nov-10, 12:36
What sort of response do you hope or expect this post to elicit?

Catharnach74
07-Nov-10, 12:44
Well I'm not perfect, I just hate the nasty good for nothings throwing personal insults at the slightest bit of rubbish someone types, just want to get my feelings across in an intelligent way!

John Little
07-Nov-10, 12:50
Who is perfect?

But it seems to me that you have posted some fairly robust views lately.

You must expect robust replies I think.

Robust invites robust - but that's not bullying. Debate is not always gentle, especially in areas of controversy.

You have courted controversy. You can't really cry 'foul' if she comes on too strong.

Catharnach74
07-Nov-10, 12:54
Who is perfect?

But it seems to me that you have posted some fairly robust views lately.

You must expect robust replies I think.

Robust invites robust - but that's not bullying. Debate is not always gentle, especially in areas of controversy.

You have courted controversy. You can't really cry 'foul' if she comes on too strong.

Like I said I can take it on the chin, I'm looking out sticking up for the weaker person using Caithness.Org!

John Little
07-Nov-10, 12:57
Well - good luck but you remind me of Mercutio;

"Thou art like one of those fellows that, when he enters the confines of a tavern, claps me his sword upon the table and says “God send me no need of thee!” and, by the operation of the second cup, draws it on the drawer when indeed there is no need."

I think you will have enough blows to fend off your chin - but we are not all here for a fight.

Corrie 3
07-Nov-10, 15:39
I have seen no evidence of cyber bullying on the .Org.
Friendly banter and heated debates yes but not bullying. If someone feels they are being bullied then there is always the report button isnt there?

C3.....;)

brandy
07-Nov-10, 16:08
i have to admit i have seen quite a bit of intimidation on here over the years. Lord knows what goes on in private msgs.
there have been major falling outs, cliques and the like on here.
saying that there are also some very lovely people as well.
bullies and intimidatiors are very weak people whom make their selves feel
bigger and badder by their actions.
i left those days behind a long time ago in the class room and tend to ignore any
numpties like that, and if that fails i will quickly tell them what they can do with theirselves *G*

RecQuery
07-Nov-10, 16:31
I never understood the whole brouhaha over 'cyber bullying'. I mean sure, normal person + anonymity + audience = total tard (http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/03/19/). That being said I think some people use the cyber bullying card as a red herring; people think they have a right not to be offended by anything and should someone disagree or argue with them, well they must be bullying. It seems to me grown adults are more fragile today online than kids and teenagers were when I first got online back in the early 90's

Invisible
07-Nov-10, 16:46
I agree with the OP. I've experienced a few in my couple years on the org

billmoseley
07-Nov-10, 16:50
the org seems to me to represent a broad spectrum of ordinary folk who differ on a lot of things but by and large the discussions are interesting and get a great deal of good points across and we also have a bit of fun which surely is what life is about. we can all be the same

upolian
07-Nov-10, 17:58
This is the problem people have different views,people disagree and spit their dummy out,if you read something you dont like,click the back button and carry on......

Stargazer
07-Nov-10, 19:00
I don't think any of the 'bullying' is real. People tend to write replies in an internet forum in a way they would not speak to face to face. Its the same as emails, don't write what you would not say.

billmoseley
07-Nov-10, 19:19
i won't post anything on here i wouldn't say to anybody's face maybe we should all try that.

Commore
07-Nov-10, 20:07
Cyber bullies are cowards, who use the Internet to unleash their viciousness on victims, whom they would never dare to face in person. Look no further than even a civilised Discussion Board caithness.org. There are loads of bullies who through nasty personal attacks sometime vindictive, just search for an individual using caithness.org to have a weakness so they can attack, this could make a weaker person feel bad about themselves and could if the circumstances are right take them over the edge. Luckily I'm big and bad enough to take personal attacks it on the chin but a forum should be a place for "friendly debate" not a slanging match to see who can fart the loudest.

By the way I wrote this text!

I've never come across a "cyber bully" on the org,
Yes there are those whose opinions are forcefully put forward, however, in no way could they be considered the aforementioned "cyber bully",

A cyber bully is someone who stalks someone else using electronic means,
it's a stealthy exercise and very scary for the victim and I think that had there been something like this going on, on the org that the moderators would have been all over it like a skin rash,

therefore, one has to ask from where do you base your post?

theone
07-Nov-10, 20:46
Not that it offers anything whatsoever to the the debate, but what is a "slanging match". Is it a bit like the Caithness Dialect at the festival?

I have visions of cockney gangsters trying to out do each other.

Is the expression not "slagging match", as in "she was slagging me off?"

That's what I always thought the expression was, but I have seen "slanging" used many times on the org. Anyone?

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
07-Nov-10, 21:13
hate to tell you the one but yeah slanging match is also common phrase...im off to wiki it - just in case I just told you a lie...

Definitions of slanging match on the Web:

* A row; an argument in which names are called
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/slanging_match

theone
07-Nov-10, 21:24
Well, you learn something new everyday.

Educated on the org again!

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
07-Nov-10, 21:37
haha yup - learning all the time.... :-)

northener
08-Nov-10, 10:12
The 'cyber bullying' thread rears its ugly head on here all the time.

Can't say I've ever seen an example of it.

Robust argument - yes. Ridicule - most certainly. Dummy spitting and tantrums - all the time. Been guilty of all those myself, I reckon.

But 'cyber bullying' is (IMO) a term that should be reserved for incidents involving threats and intimidation - not because someone takes their bat home and cries 'foul'.

It would appear to me that those who repeatedly wail about cyber bullying are those who have courted controversy and cannot handle the return fire......

oldmarine
08-Nov-10, 19:03
This forum is monitored and does a fair job of controlling "Cyber Bullies." I do believe anyone has a right to express their opinion whether in agreement or disagreement.

Sarah
08-Nov-10, 19:33
I have known cyber bullying, and on this forum. I know some topics people will get heated about, and I think in that situation, its best to just be the bigger person and avoid the thread and that person.

Commore
08-Nov-10, 19:37
I have known cyber bullying, and on this forum. I know some topics people will get heated about, and I think in that situation, its best to just be the bigger person and avoid the thread and that person.

Can I presume you mean me?

Seems to me, you were the one getting "heated".
I merely expressed my views.

DMFB
08-Nov-10, 22:32
I can just hear my mothers (rest her soul) voice now saying for Gawds sake get a backbone boy ! If you cant stans the heat stay out of the kitchen rather than crying bully.

Commore
09-Nov-10, 14:54
I can just hear my mothers (rest her soul) voice now saying for Gawds sake get a backbone boy ! If you cant stans the heat stay out of the kitchen rather than crying bully.

You mother was right,

emb123
22-Nov-10, 12:34
Like yourself, Northerner, I've seen the 'bullying' accusation mentioned a few times, however I feel that there is no smoke without fire.

I think that 'cyber-bullying' is probably a bit too serious a charge however for the sort of distasteful conduct I've observed or maybe it's just a poor choice of descriptive term.

I'm going to take a couple of pot-shots. I agree with the sentiment behind the OP's posting. I've observed that there have been some pretty nasty and heated exchanges with raised hackles, ridicule and I've seen unwarranted intellectual cruelty in use on the org.

I've seen many a clique attack where person-a is belittled by a whole clique of buddies who cluster to taunt and intimidate, even on occasion extending to calling upon moderating heavyweight super-pals to end the battle once and for all with a ban. A certain jokester debacle which led to a ban springs to mind.

On the whole, I'd say that the nature of discussion on the org follows pretty much the norm for any internet discussion forum amongst adults who have some (slight) amount of anonymity.

I'd say that innocent discussions regularly turn into unnecessarily heated debates as there are number of orgers who have very short fuses, and find it easier and more satisfying to be abruptly nasty than to be tolerant, helpful or pedagogical. Again, this is however something of a reflection of the real-life people who comprise the org membership.

I suggest that there is a degree of favouritism from the not entirely impartial moderators, but then this is a small community and many members have real-life moderator pals. It's awkward if you are a moderator to censure someone who you feel is somewhat out of order if you are planning on going for a meal with him and his wife next Friday.

As I said before, I do think that there is no smoke without fire and there are perhaps too many discussions which turn into fiery debates when there was no real justification other than that it is fun to wind someone up.

I was brought up as a devout Christian and to respect my fellow human beings, and I'm afraid I do see such respect for others is a little short in supply at times. Sadly, it's a sign of the times we live in. There are so many epithets I could bring to mind; as Douglas Adams pointed out, we've already heard about one man who was nailed to a tree for saying how great it would be (for everyone) to be nice to people. There is the text of 1 Cor. XIII v.11 about "When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things."

The truth of the matter is that on the org as in real life: not everyone is nice. C'est la vie.

rob murray
22-Nov-10, 15:44
Like yourself, Northerner, I've seen the 'bullying' accusation mentioned a few times, however I feel that there is no smoke without fire.

I think that 'cyber-bullying' is probably a bit too serious a charge however for the sort of distasteful conduct I've observed or maybe it's just a poor choice of descriptive term.

I'm going to take a couple of pot-shots. I agree with the sentiment behind the OP's posting. I've observed that there have been some pretty nasty and heated exchanges with raised hackles, ridicule and I've seen unwarranted intellectual cruelty in use on the org.

I've seen many a clique attack where person-a is belittled by a whole clique of buddies who cluster to taunt and intimidate, even on occasion extending to calling upon moderating heavyweight super-pals to end the battle once and for all with a ban. A certain jokester debacle which led to a ban springs to mind.

On the whole, I'd say that the nature of discussion on the org follows pretty much the norm for any internet discussion forum amongst adults who have some (slight) amount of anonymity.

I'd say that innocent discussions regularly turn into unnecessarily heated debates as there are number of orgers who have very short fuses, and find it easier and more satisfying to be abruptly nasty than to be tolerant, helpful or pedagogical. Again, this is however something of a reflection of the real-life people who comprise the org membership.

I suggest that there is a degree of favouritism from the not entirely impartial moderators, but then this is a small community and many members have real-life moderator pals. It's awkward if you are a moderator to censure someone who you feel is somewhat out of order if you are planning on going for a meal with him and his wife next Friday.

As I said before, I do think that there is no smoke without fire and there are perhaps too many discussions which turn into fiery debates when there was no real justification other than that it is fun to wind someone up.

I was brought up as a devout Christian and to respect my fellow human beings, and I'm afraid I do see such respect for others is a little short in supply at times. Sadly, it's a sign of the times we live in. There are so many epithets I could bring to mind; as Douglas Adams pointed out, we've already heard about one man who was nailed to a tree for saying how great it would be (for everyone) to be nice to people. There is the text of 1 Cor. XIII v.11 about "When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things."

The truth of the matter is that on the org as in real life: not everyone is nice. C'est la vie.

Well put !

whateva
22-Nov-10, 16:59
is it just me or are you trying to cause an argument here ;)

northener
22-Nov-10, 17:34

Right, that's it.

(Opens window and shouts across street)

"Oi! You! Outside now!!!":Razz

emb123
22-Nov-10, 17:42
Right, that's it.

(Opens window and shouts across street)

"Oi! You! Outside now!!!":Razz

heheheheh!!

Aaldtimer
22-Nov-10, 17:49
is it just me or are you trying to cause an argument here ;)

Why? Are you looking for one?:confused