PDA

View Full Version : Local shop staff attitudes

tenabowla
06-Nov-10, 19:37
Its a great wonder anyone shops local if the off hand attitude at the jewelers in Thurso is typical of those who complain of the lack of trade. Having visited twice over the last few weeks a member of staff was rude to the point of almost wishing to serve the customer without actually conversing.

unicorn
06-Nov-10, 20:00
I find most shops in the town have great staff and if they don't then I go elsewhere.

simpsoney
06-Nov-10, 21:35
Stopped in tescos in wick to get fuel the other day and the guy who served me was the same. The only time he talked to me was to tell me how much i had to pay!!

unicorn
06-Nov-10, 21:44
I think I met him a few weeks ago, it was very disconcerting :eek:

tenabowla
06-Nov-10, 21:45
Fair comment unicorn, I won't go back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bridgeend
06-Nov-10, 22:34
The Staff in Graham beggs shop are at times downright rude and there prices are a Joke.
They had a Television price at £1459.99 JOHN LEWIS ABERDEEN same tv priced at £1199.00 and delivered Free.
Chessors for the same TV £1499.00
Shop Locally i Dont think so.!

Walter Ego
06-Nov-10, 23:09
The Staff in Graham beggs shop are at times downright rude and there prices are a Joke.
They had a Television price at £1459.99 JOHN LEWIS ABERDEEN same tv priced at £1199.00 and delivered Free.
Chessors for the same TV £1499.00

I agree.

The fuel prices in Thurso are an absolute rip off.

Commore
07-Nov-10, 11:02
Its a great wonder anyone shops local if the off hand attitude at the jewelers in Thurso is typical of those who complain of the lack of trade. Having visited twice over the last few weeks a member of staff was rude to the point of almost wishing to serve the customer without actually conversing.

Yes, I had this feeling in the Jewellers,
It was as though I "the customer" was beneath them, and ordinarily I would not patronize them again, however, it is the nearest Jeweller shop to me and occasionally I do have need of one.

Scunner
07-Nov-10, 12:13
I asked in 3 electrical shops, if they had a washer/drier in stock. All replied ' sorry, no'. No offer was made to try and order one up for me. Either they can sell enough that they do not want a sale of around £500 or they just cant be bothered with an OAP. I did say in one shop that they were advertised on their website. Reply that it was probably for ordering online. Maybe I will just do that.

davem
07-Nov-10, 12:45
I don't work in a shop -perhaps being relentlessly cheerful isn't my forte. Especially given the high expectations hereabout.
I do think its a little unfair to compare local one owner shops with the likes and purchasing power of National chains, people need to earn a crust.
As for assistants being grumpy, it does seem now and again that people seem quick to chide and slow to bless on here. With one notable exception I cannot recall any shop worker here being anything but helpful, efficient and a pleasure to meet.
People have bad days, maybe they don't reach your expectations; but if someone is cheesed off surely that is just reason to feel some sympathy for their situation rather than take it as a personal affront.

Thumper
07-Nov-10, 13:08
Yip that jewellers seem to employ people who think they are above us,my son took me in one day to buy me a willowtree ornament with his hard earned cash,the woman snatched the money out of his hand,threw the change at him and never spoke once,I wanted to throttle the ignorant woman but my son didnt want a fuss made,it was the last time I ever shopped there,and its there loss as I collect willow trees and spend a bit on them!x

eminia
07-Nov-10, 13:51
I went into superdrug just before closing time to quickly buy a few bits and pieces. I thought I'd treat myself to a bottle of perfume and got a few other bits. When I went to the counter to pay the staff had seen I had a bottle of perfume and promptly bought over 2 gift sets to show me that I would get a bigger bottle of perfume and a free moisturiser by buying a gift set at the same price! I was delighted and bought the gift set. I decided to then get another one for a birthday present so the man said if the sale went through first I would recieve a £10 voucher for spending a certain amount therefore getting £10 of the other gift set!
Very helpul , fantastic customer service!!

greener
07-Nov-10, 14:36
Stopped in tescos in wick to get fuel the other day and the guy who served me was the same. The only time he talked to me was to tell me how much i had to pay!!

I know I never go there now,that guy has such a great smile and his talking skills are out of this world [disgust] (if only)

lasher
07-Nov-10, 14:44
And your problem is?? Surely thats all he has 2 say! Why do u think he should chat 2 u?

aurora32
07-Nov-10, 15:35
And your problem is?? Surely thats all he has 2 say! Why do u think he should chat 2 u?

Its called customer service and if said person is not capable of doing this they should not be in the job there are plenty of people out there in this present climate who would do what is necessary!

greener
07-Nov-10, 15:44
Its called customer service and if said person is not capable of doing this they should not be in the job there are plenty of people out there in this present climate who would do what is necessary!

How very true

horse
07-Nov-10, 16:00
I too have come across this man in tescos fuel station, :roll: he wouldn't even look at me, he did everything looking away which made me feel really awkward, when he handed back my card (still not looking ) I shouted loudly THANK YOU and he turned and looked at me then and I said again thank you and he just smiled and I just started laughing and shaking my head because he still never opened his mouth, I'm just glad it wasn't just me who found him like this.

scotsboy
07-Nov-10, 17:57

The wife went in there when we were up during the summer, she needed a new battery in her watch. First it was can you come back after lunch, then can you leave it with us until tomorrow, then can you come back again........we took the watch back and got it done in Abz in under 5 mins.

selkie
07-Nov-10, 18:00
I have always found staff in the jewelers very helpful.

greener
07-Nov-10, 18:10
Colin Campbell Jewellers in Wick do watch battery while you wait, now that is what you call service.:) Not expensive either.

Bazeye
07-Nov-10, 18:23
Colin Campbell Jewellers in Wick do watch battery while you wait, now that is what you call service.:) Not expensive either.

Should think so. How long does it take to put a battery in a watch.:roll:

jpmackay
07-Nov-10, 18:25
lets all be honest shoping in caithness is realy bad and the shops that are there are ripin us all off its a joke

lindsaymcc
07-Nov-10, 18:28
lets all be honest shoping in caithness is realy bad and the shops that are there are ripin us all off its a joke

See, having moved to Thurso from Suffolk, I havent found customer service too bad! The staff in Thurso Tesco are always very chatty, and the same can be said for other shops I use in the town.

Compared to Suffolk (large town) I think its lovely that the staff I come across will converse! Maybe those I come across that dont converse doesnt rile me because I was so used to it before moving here!

unicorn
07-Nov-10, 18:36
I think thats a very unfair statement, most shops have great customer service and very good value and choice, maybe I just choose my shops better than you do or are am happy to pay for quality, who knows.

Hoida
07-Nov-10, 19:14
No complaints about customer service in Thurso, have always found staff in the shops very helpful and the staff in Tesco are first class and extremely helpful:D:D:D

spaceddaisy
07-Nov-10, 19:19
I really like shopping in Thurso (and Wick for that matter). Very often if a shop doesn't have what you're looking for they'll recommend another shop which might have it. Shop staff will normally converse with you and are always helpful.

I moved up here from the central belt and find it a far better experience shopping here than in larger places down south.

tenabowla
07-Nov-10, 20:09
Not all shops are bad, I think generally they are fairly good. You can get a bad day but when it is repeated it is not acceptable and does leave a bad taste.

ragdollyanna
07-Nov-10, 20:38
Totally agree with what has been said about the Tesco in Thurso staff - they are fantastic. A couple of weeks ago I asked a male worker at the freezer section where the puff pasty was - he replied that if I wanted to make the pie tonight, he suggested I get the pastry from the fridge and took me there himself. I hadn't even thought about time needed to defrost!

What a gent - above and beyond. Fantastic! :D:D:D

Seagull
08-Nov-10, 15:49
Wick Jeweller - opposite Boots - I have always found them most helpful and they have quite a good stock. :Razz

RecQuery
08-Nov-10, 16:34
I don't mind shop staff not smiling like mindless drones or making inane small talk. If the person does their job well when I have a reasonable question and tries to fix any problems I'm happy with that. I'd much rather deal with a surly shop person who could help me than one who smiled, made small talk and couldn't.

Sage
08-Nov-10, 17:49
and dont forget the attitudes that shop staff have to put up with sometimes!

People seem to forget that they are human too and should be treated as you would wish to be treated. Sometimes customers can be really rude!