PDA

View Full Version : Wot - no Asda comments??!

Murdina Bug
04-Aug-06, 15:14
I'm stunned by the lack of comments on the new Asda proposals (front page John O' Groat Journal) - thought for sure there would have been a tirade of 'fors' and 'againsts' on here by now! Is everyone fed up with it now? [lol]

Tugmistress
04-Aug-06, 17:14
not had time to pick up a paper yet ;) and meeting a load of friends tonight that have travelled up from various parts of scotland for a fishing weekend :)

Dreadnought
04-Aug-06, 17:17
Is there an online version of the John O' Groat Journal for us southerners to read?

<edit>No problem found it (http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/)

Dreadnought
04-Aug-06, 17:21
Looks like good news, common sense has prevailed! :)

badger
04-Aug-06, 19:11
Great news - and this sounds like a better site. Sad about the market but if it had to go then this could be the ideal solution. Bit handy for the school - wonder if they'll all be in there at lunchtime?

Dreadnought
04-Aug-06, 19:34
Great news - and this sounds like a better site. Sad about the market but if it had to go then this could be the ideal solution. Bit handy for the school - wonder if they'll all be in there at lunchtime?

Asda have 'greeters' to keep loiterers out of the store.

mickey101
04-Aug-06, 19:40
Hi
It is the best place for it and it is the right place for it. Judging by the fact that ASDA has had an option on this land for some time ASDA thought that as well. All of which will matter not a wit to our local Thurso councillors. I am just wondering whether they will use this opportunity to gracefully extract themselves from what was hopefully a career limiting situation or will they continue to follow their own agenda ( well theirs and their friends) and try and block this one as well. They already have the perfect excuse " The land is not designated for retail development" or will they use their last excuse "Retail impact assessment is incorrect". Or will they think up a new excuse.
By the way any numpty will know that ASDA will have a big effect on the local retail market "A MUCH NEEDED POSTIVE ONE" and I dont need a report to tell me that
Time will tell.

M

kas
04-Aug-06, 22:13
I disagree with alot of people, by thinking the old mart would be a bad place for a large supermarket.

This part of town is very heavily congested at certain times of the day as it is, without having a supermarket junction there as well. It would be sandwiched between 2 schools, and 2 school crossings. All the high school children walk this side of the road at lunch and finishing time, and as we know they can be a bit of a law into themselves when it comes to traffic, walking right in front of traffic when it suits them. There would be no room to add any type of roundabout, so at peak times if Asda does go here, I think this part of town would be a nightmare.

Forgot to add, I am 100% behind Asda comming to Thurso, but just have some reservations about this site.

Kingetter
05-Aug-06, 01:26
I agree that it isn't a good location for similar reasons though I'm not happy it is ASDA trying to get here. Nor do I think it should be in a prominent position so first time visitors to Thurso have to see what so many other places have on their way into Town - namely Business/Industrial/Retail Parks. These take away from the character of the place making it less enjoyable to visit. Anyone looking at Perth for instance, coming in from the north has to drive along 'motor mile' - though it is supposed to be The fair City!!
There has to be somewhere better, less obtrusive and where traffic congestion won't be an issue.

crayola
05-Aug-06, 01:55
I agree that it isn't a good location for similar reasons though I'm not happy it is ASDA trying to get here. Nor do I think it should be in a prominent position so first time visitors to Thurso have to see what so many other places have on their way into Town - namely Business/Industrial/Retail Parks. These take away from the character of the place making it less enjoyable to visit. Anyone looking at Perth for instance, coming in from the north has to drive along 'motor mile' - though it is supposed to be The fair City!!
There has to be somewhere better, less obtrusive and where traffic congestion won't be an issue.How many first time visitors come in that route? Precious few I would say, and first time visitors' tails should not wag the asda dog's dinner.

But I agree with you and kas over the location, it's not a good place to put it because of schools traffic. Pennyland or BT would be better.

Fran
05-Aug-06, 02:32
i agree the mart would not be a good site for Asda, and I'm sure all the residents across the road will do their best to stop it. Having said that, the elgin shop is right by the train station.
Could it not go by BT or near to the cemetry.

Jeid
05-Aug-06, 03:04
The traffic situation would make it a bad choice for a supermarket.

Loafer
05-Aug-06, 09:11
There has to be somewhere better, less obtrusive and where traffic congestion won't be an issue.

Well what do people see first coming into Thurso on the A9? A Cemetery! Not the greatest of welcomes.

The Loafer

Kingetter
05-Aug-06, 09:27
"Well what do people see first coming into Thurso on the A9? A Cemetery! Not the greatest of welcomes"
Well its already there, no more obtrusive than a cemetery ever is and not all easily visible (gravestones are rather lower profile) but a Supermarket? That's an eyesore IMO.

brandy
05-Aug-06, 10:42
the same is with wick
the cemetary is right there as you come into town.. *smiles* its not an ugly sight though. its well maintained.. and is one of the most necessary things for the town.

changilass
05-Aug-06, 10:45
Well what do people see first coming into Thurso on the A9? A Cemetery! Not the greatest of welcomes.

The Loafer

And after the cemetery, the next thing is a supermarket, so can hardly use that as an excuse[disgust]

Murdina Bug
05-Aug-06, 11:58
I agree that siting Asda in the mart location will give rise to a host of traffic planning issues. I would hope that some of the conditions of siting there will include the need for safer pavements and crossings and involve the safer routes to schools team. I also think that instead of stuffing more houses on the remainder of the land (do we really need them with 420 going in at Pennyland?) the developers should be required to install a FREE to use car park at the back of the railway station with long stay facilities.

Parking in the town is dire enough and the Asda site will only provide 250 spaces - no doubt with a limitation on time or a requirement to shop there. The town desperately needs more off street parking in general and the train station could sure do with some development. A combined train and bus station with waiting facilities - what a benefit that would be!

Niall Fernie
05-Aug-06, 12:19
Perhaps you should all have a wee look at the front page of Caithness.Org (http://www.caithness.org) today. Some people should be careful what they write about by making sure they have all the facts :roll:

mooncat
05-Aug-06, 12:36
I am amazed that so many people say " what about the people who visit here do they want to see an ASDA here, or here..!! " who cares what they want, it is what the folk who live here that counts and I for one want and ASDA here for better quality food and clothes etc etc and also that when I go on holiday with the lass next week I wouldnt have to go on a hour to two hour detour to the ASDA in edinburgh...!!! and also the folk who are mumping about where it is going, I dont hear people mumping about the glebe with kids bikes and toys lie aound the street and general filth lying about, but I suppose out of site out of mind... so I am sure that when the ASDA comes here all these folk who have mumped wont shop there.... right of course they wont will they, hypocrites....

dismount soap box and get on with work...

mickey101
05-Aug-06, 12:42
Hi
Well said. And to quote Sherlock Holmes " The Games afoot" so get your letters in to support Asda on the 16th when the application comes up for review .

M

bagpuss
05-Aug-06, 23:04
My Thurso friends tell me that they don't tend to support the local shops in the town- they either go through to Wick or south to Inverness at every opportunity they get. The draw to Wick is not Homebase etc, but plain old Boots the chemist. They also tell me that they tend not to bother with the Eastgate apart from M&S, but head to Matalan and the Tesco retail park.

I gather from what Niall said on the site that Asda are talking about a site- possibly outside Caithness. Given that the Co-op challneged tesco, might it be that Asda are really only interested in taking trade away from their rivals, rather than any good they might bring to the county.

Personally i can't wait to be a pensioner and get my bus pass- the crack on the morning run to Inverness is awesome- perhaps we're missing something- Caithness is boring. if you're not under 21, there is little for people to do- and a day out to Inverness can work magic.

Tugmistress
06-Aug-06, 06:59
Well i for one am glad that ASDA have decided to continue going for Pennyland Farm. It certainly makes more sense than the auction mart site.

On a slightly different note, I am going down to Inverness on the 16th August and intend to hand in the printed off version of the online petition, does anyone want to have ride down in the car with me?
PM me if you want to join me :)

Bill Fernie
06-Aug-06, 09:03
If you leave it until the day of the meeting on the 16th it may be too late for it to be considered or even mentioned at the meeting on the same day.

You might be better to ensure it got there before the meeting. You could send the copy to John Rennilson the head of planning at Glenurquhart road, Inverness. Or you could contact planning to see if the petition will be accepted on the day.

bigpete
06-Aug-06, 09:35
It would seem by the headlines in the Groat that the journalist concerned has certainly caused great confusion, at least it sells papers but totally questions the accuracy of the reporting.. come on it's really a right mess, A Wick Councillor knackers the original planning up, Co-op is putting in a Judicial review ref Tesco, 'ASDA's going to the Mart' 'oh no we're not'.. Good god what a mess, the rest of Britain (and I know folk in the south read Caithness.org) think what a right bunch of silly blighters run the show up here. EVERY town in Britain has supermarkets coming in - it's called progress, cuts the bills for the average folk, but here? "Oh no", says co-op we want to carry on selling our over-priced stuff" "Oh no" says the gang of four in Thurso "we want to chage 10p extra on every litre, 'cos we know you can't go anywhere else".. Makes you sick, this greedy, selfish, uncaring squealing people who are hanging on like grim death and putting in whatever sneaky underhand method of slowing things dow. Has anyone noticed that Somerfields have suddenly begun to do 'buy one get one free' and cut a few prices? Come on, they are getting near the usual Tesc/ASDA prices, wonder why they can manage it now - because it's the worry of ASDa coming of course.. Time's getting near, Somerfield, Co-op, the petrol stations when you're going to have to actually WORK at getting our custom. Co-op (CWS) has massive buying power same as Somerfield, so they CAN offer us reasonable prices if they want - but see, no competition.
Never mind the day WILL come, hopefully ASDA is not getting fed up and thinking 'outwith Caithness'..
What a humiliating mess!

Bobinovich
06-Aug-06, 13:54
Although I can understand the traffic problems posed here I initially thought that the mart site would have a number of benefits to both Asda and the town.

It is right next to the railway station so the stock could be bought up by train and, if the site was designed right, could be offloaded from a siding straight into the rear of the store. More rolling stock would mean less road traffic and help the case for getting the north line upgraded to make journey's shorter.

By developing some of the remaining space into a play area, parents could drop the kids there rather than around the store. For families with young children one parent could do the shopping while the other keeps an eye on the wee ones.

I'm sure that with a bit of thought the traffic situation could be resolved. Maybe turn some of that over-wide path in Ormlie Road into some parking for residents instead of forcing them to cross over the road, and making a decent path for schoolkids down the mart-side with traffic measures to ensure they can cross safely - it could be just what is needed.

Any other pro's or con's?

BTW nice to see the Online Groat back being kept up to date.

nirofo
06-Aug-06, 14:46
I'm stunned by the lack of comments on the new Asda proposals (front page John O' Groat Journal) - thought for sure there would have been a tirade of 'fors' and 'againsts' on here by now! Is everyone fed up with it now? [lol]

I think the recent announcement by Asda refuting the Miller Developments statement that they will be building on the old mart ground is comment enough, what are these people thinking about making unsubstantiated statements that are blatantly untrue!

nirofo.

bigpete
08-Aug-06, 19:23
Hi folks

Sent an email to Councillor Smith (as you do in a democratic Society) : "Councillor Smith, Reference the BBC radio broadcast this morning, it seems that if ASDA do not get the original site they are not coming to Thurso - how does it feel to be the moving force in destroying the heart of Thurso as we all head to Tesco in Wick? Yours sadly Peter & Jane
He's come back with:

Peter and Jane,
We will see what the official reports say. I doubt if there is a councillor in Caithness who would not welcome appropriate development in the county. Until the official report comes to the fore I suggest you take a reality check and stop trying to unduly influence the members of the committee.
Graeme

'reality check'? Yeah right...

crayola
09-Aug-06, 00:18
A reality check? Unduly influence the members of the committee? These are signs that Mr Smith believes he has erred. Could Mr Smith also benefit from a course on managing his emotions? As I said on another thread, I can recommend a very good one in Glasgow.

Humerous Vegetable
09-Aug-06, 08:52
Hi folks

Sent an email to Councillor Smith (as you do in a democratic Society) : "Councillor Smith, Reference the BBC radio broadcast this morning, it seems that if ASDA do not get the original site they are not coming to Thurso - how does it feel to be the moving force in destroying the heart of Thurso as we all head to Tesco in Wick? Yours sadly Peter & Jane
He's come back with:

Peter and Jane,
We will see what the official reports say. I doubt if there is a councillor in Caithness who would not welcome appropriate development in the county. Until the official report comes to the fore I suggest you take a reality check and stop trying to unduly influence the members of the committee.
Graeme

'reality check'? Yeah right...

Democatic society? Where is this fabled land, so that I can move there immediately. It's certainly not Caithness, if the electorate making their views known to their elected representatives is to be accused of "trying to unduly influence" them!

Kingetter
09-Aug-06, 09:19
Has there been an 'official comment' from within Thurso by the Community Council?

mickey101
09-Aug-06, 19:01
Hi
In my opnion I dont think the overriding message that the Thurso community want this development or all the wrangling between what exactly is going on at the Auction Mart will matter a wit in the long run.
It is clear that the local community want it. It is clear that the local traders want it( except those who sell petrol).
But I still give it less than a one in a hundred chance of it passing.

M

Naefearjustbeer
09-Aug-06, 19:41
"Unduly influence" what a complete and utter idiot of a man [evil] . How the hell is a councillor meant to represent the comunity when he thinks that somone giving a commonly held opinion about a relevant subject is unduly influencing things. It just goes to show it is his vested interests that he used to gauge his vote. Rather than the views of the majority of the local population.

Rheghead
09-Aug-06, 19:52
"Unduly influence" what a complete and utter idiot of a man [evil] . How the hell is a councillor meant to represent the comunity when he thinks that somone giving a commonly held opinion about a relevant subject is unduly influencing things. It just goes to show it is his vested interests that he used to gauge his vote. Rather than the views of the majority of the local population.

Graeme Smith never ceases to amaze me on how much contempt that he holds of the opinions of the very people who vote him in. For example, at a meeting last november in Halkirk re the HRES, he said that he doesn't want the audience to give their opinion on the merits of windfarm proliferation that faces our county. How arrogant of him? He is a politician for pity's sake and he was trying to stifle debate which is the very cornerstone of British politics![disgust]