PDA

View Full Version : I love beetroot

squidge
05-Nov-10, 14:31
I love beetroot. I like it pickled and raw and peeled and cooked and the vacuum packed ones that I just made into a salad for my lunch. Mmmmmmm

Thing is no one else in my house likes it. I am the only one. What do you like to eat that no one else in your house likes?

Invisible
05-Nov-10, 14:34
Tomato Ketchup

lindsaymcc
05-Nov-10, 15:20
Roast Lamb
Roast Parsnips
Mint Sauce

Bazeye
05-Nov-10, 15:42
My toenails.

mrlennie
05-Nov-10, 15:47
My toenails.

His toenails.

George Brims
05-Nov-10, 17:21
Smoked salmon, sardines. The blasted cat won't even eat sardines. However I don't eat cheese, and I have to put up with the smell of that sometimes, so we're even. (Just to be clear, the cat doesn't eat cheese, it's the people.)

George Brims
05-Nov-10, 17:31
I love beetroot. I like it pickled and raw and peeled and cooked and the vacuum packed ones that I just made into a salad for my lunch.
You might want to try this recipe Squidge. I noted it a few weeks ago but I haven't tried it yet.

OOPS! Posted this without the link first time. Recipe here"
http://www.salon.com/food/kitchen_challenge/2010/09/20/beef_and_beet_curry

John Little
05-Nov-10, 18:11
I hate beetroot and frozen peas - they both make me retch. Sorry Squidge but I just do not understand how anyone can eat either of these things....

David Banks
05-Nov-10, 18:39
I love anchovies, especially on pizza, but they are banned in this house - and not always available from pizza vendors.

Kodiak
05-Nov-10, 18:54
I love beetroot. I like it pickled and raw and peeled and cooked and the vacuum packed ones that I just made into a salad for my lunch. Mmmmmmm

Thing is no one else in my house likes it. I am the only one. What do you like to eat that no one else in your house likes?

Treat yourdelf with this Yummy Beetroot & Chocolate Cake :-

Ingredients

1 large cooked beetroot , about 175g in weight, roughly chopped
2 200g plain flour
3 100g cocoa powder
4 1 tbsp baking powder
5 250g golden caster sugar
6 3 eggs
7 2 tsp vanilla extract
8 200ml sunflower oil
9 100g dark chocolate , (not too bitter), chopped into pieces
10 crème fraîche or clotted cream, to serve

Method

heat oven to 190C/fan 170C/gas 5. Tip the beetroot into a food processor and blitz until chopped. Add a pinch of salt and the rest of the ingredients, except the oil and chocolate. When completely mixed (you may need to scrape the sides down once or twice), add the oil in a steady stream, as if you were making mayonnaise.
When all the oil has been added, stir in the chocolate, then tip the mix into a lined 900g loaf tin. Cook for 1 hr until an inserted skewer comes out practically clean. leave the loaf to cool on a rack. Serve in slices with the crème fraîche or clotted cream.

Metalattakk
06-Nov-10, 00:03
I hate beetroot and frozen peas - they both make me retch. Sorry Squidge but I just do not understand how anyone can eat either of these things....

The trick with frozen peas is to cook them first. ;)

dragonfly
06-Nov-10, 09:05
I love beetroot too Squidge but OH and kids tell me it tastes of earth - would like to know how they would know? also love cottage cheese (lidls tho, not other brands).

took a right craving for beetroot whilst pregnant to the point I ate that much it even turned my "water" pink - thought I was miscarrying or something but thankfully my mother reminded me what I had been eating so panic avoided!

OH & son don't like tomatoes either :confused makes for a boring salad!

Errogie
06-Nov-10, 11:24
Tinned mackrel in mustard sauce. Goes with potatoes, bread or rice for very quick uncomplicated refuelling.

Ricco
06-Nov-10, 16:54

Squidge, I love beetroot too. I really like the Tesco Sweetfire salad beets and have developed my own copy:

500ml cider vinegar
cup dark brown sugar
1 chilli split and deseeded
1 chilli simply 'spiked'

Heat gently and stir to dissolve the sugar. Turn off the heat and put your beet in too soak until the marinade is cold. Take your beet out and store in the fridge, Pour the marinade back into the vinegar bottle and re-use another 2 or 3 times.

billmoseley
06-Nov-10, 17:21
yuK beetroot is worse than Marmite and that's saying something but each to there own.:lol:

Angela
06-Nov-10, 18:34
I love beetroot too Squidge, especially Tesco's beetroot salad and the Co-op baby beets with chili. Nobody else in my family will eat it tho'....so all the more for me. ;)

I can't bear any of the oily fish that are supposed to be so good for you. Particularly pilchards! :mad: They make me feel queasy and even the cat has rejected them.....

I don't like olives and I don't like the horribly thready feel of celery either.

It's not so much the actual taste of these things that puts me off them, more the smell and texture. [disgust]

crayola
06-Nov-10, 18:44
I too took a craving for beetroot when I was pregnant. Should I assume that congratulations are in order Angela and squidge? :)

I can take it or leave it but I normally leave it nowadays.

I like mustard and mackerel and marmalade and anchovies and coriander and pink and purple lip gloss. I love the purple, it makes me feel young and free and my kids hate me wearing it. :lol:

_Ju_
06-Nov-10, 19:42
I love the taste of papaya. Especially papaya and banana fruit salad. But I cannot peel and chop the papaya because if I have the time to smell it and think about it before I eat it, it smells exactly like vomit on an empty stomach. So much of taste is realted to smell and yet I love the taste of fresh papaya. Not even I understand myself!:Razz

silverlady
06-Nov-10, 20:56
Only me and youngest eat eggs....Chris Evans RAdio 2, 8pm, "How do you like your eggs in the mornin? I like mine with a kiss"... becomin a habit!!

Aaldtimer
06-Nov-10, 21:01
Only me and youngest eat eggs....Chris Evans RAdio 2, 8pm, "How do you like your eggs in the mornin? I like mine with a kiss"... becomin a habit!!
..."Un-fertilised!"...:lol:

2boyz1girl
06-Nov-10, 23:42
my dads homegrown beetroot pickled is the best, I'm not kidding. Only problem is when I open the jar it is done in 1 sitting. The toilet the next day is very colourful!!:lol:
Beetroot, cheese and salad cream sandwich = scrummy:D
I love draining the juice from tinned toms and adding salt n pepper, lea & perrins and drinking it. Scrummy. Makes my o/h boke. He hates tomato things and has a major freak out when anywhere near tom sauce.