PDA

View Full Version : What a wonderful world!

Aaldtimer
05-Nov-10, 04:42
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-11699678 :D

teddybear1873
05-Nov-10, 05:44
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-11699678 :D

Ye, I seen that on the news this evening. You don't get many people like that.

annemarie482
05-Nov-10, 09:10
what a lovely couple!
a rare sight indeed.

Gronnuck
05-Nov-10, 10:13
A refreshing change indeed to find a couple so contented with their lives that they would rather give their wealth away.

annemarie482
05-Nov-10, 10:21
does make you wonder why they enter the lotto though?! :confused

Dadie
05-Nov-10, 11:04
I dont know..maybe they would have been just as happy winning a little..just enough for a night out at a restaurant.
But when they won big they thought of all the places that have helped them in the past that needed a cash boost and helped them out.
Very unselfish of them....I know I wouldnt be as good though...
I would want to keep enough to live on the interest for the rest of my life and have a large nest egg for the kids:lol:

Oh and a clever accountant to do what he can with the inheritance tax stuff...and a cleaner and someone to do all the laundry for me!

squidge
05-Nov-10, 13:28
This is a wonderful thing to do but there are thousands of small wonderful gestures everyday. I have been thinking about this particularly this week because of a course I am doing. This is what I have seen.

Saw a lady offer to reach something for an old lady. Then chat with her smiling and friendly for a few seconds before heading off to do her shopping with a happy wave.

Saw a young laddie I know who has such a good heart but has had a terrible 2 years and been badly behaved - drinking too much- chucked out of home by his mam- been living in a homeless hostel- lost his job - you get the picture... Throughout all this he was still volunteering with shopmobility every day sometimes. This week he got permanently housed and got a new job and a surprise delivery to his new flat of a tesco shop of necessities. He doesn't know who sent it but it was a lovely thing for someone to do. He has worked hard to dig himself out of the hole he was in.

There is an old mannie who regularly walks along the a96 from the Nairn direction to tesco. Gets his shopping then walks back. He walks at least 6 miles each way and possibly more. The other day it was bouncing with rain and I saw someone stop to offer him a lift.

Just small things but it warms the heart. Especially when you are as grumpy and gloomy about the me me me culture that is all I have seen for the last few weeks. Hopefully I will stop moaning for a bit lol

Invisible
05-Nov-10, 14:22
So Canadians are the kindest people in the world

Dadie
05-Nov-10, 14:44
I do little things....
Get cat food for someone else..
Washing the soft toys and fancy dress stuff for nursery (mice problem)
No one ever hears about the little things...
Man helps woman retrieve her baked beans is not really news worthy..
Used to give a man a lift when I saw him walking..he would walk from just the otherside of Watten to Thurso or Wick..but he started to reconise the car and step out and I didnt always have room in the car..:eek:

But its the big things that I struggle with....

Bazeye
05-Nov-10, 15:35
Dont do the lottery on a regular basis, only if I'm at the checkout in the Co op or whatever and I remember but when its a double or triple rollover or whatever it is, my wife always tells me to get a lottery ticket. Whats the going rate for a normal lottery win 1m?, 2m?.....Is that not enough?
To be honest, the biggest change to my life would be, from what I am now ,to winning half a million to a million. Winning 20 million or a hundred million probably wouldnt make that much difference.
So, needless to say if I do cop it after all the usual guff has been distributed, the next curry night'll be on me. Be lucky. ;)

Blarney
06-Nov-10, 01:40
Dont do the lottery on a regular basis, only if I'm at the checkout in the Co op or whatever and I remember but when its a double or triple rollover or whatever it is, my wife always tells me to get a lottery ticket. Whats the going rate for a normal lottery win 1m?, 2m?.....Is that not enough?
To be honest, the biggest change to my life would be, from what I am now ,to winning half a million to a million. Winning 20 million or a hundred million probably wouldnt make that much difference.
So, needless to say if I do cop it after all the usual guff has been distributed, the next curry night'll be on me. Be lucky. ;)
....well in that case I'll have a pudding too! Thanks, it IS the little things....:D

Bazeye
06-Nov-10, 22:12
....well in that case I'll have a pudding too! Thanks, it IS the little things....:D

Dont push it.

Blarney
06-Nov-10, 23:47
Have just checked the lottery numbers for tonight and I'm afraid that I'll have to go to work on Monday again. Looks like you're going to have to wait a while if you want me to stump up for the nosh Baz ;)

Don't you think it's a bit unfair though that the prize for three numbers is still a measly tenner. It has never gone up since the lottery started and I'm sure it was worth a lot more then. IMHO if they increased this amount thereby giving something back to the original investors rather than making huge donations to various good causes, they would sell more tickets.