PDA

View Full Version : Paypal unauthorised transactions.

2little2late
04-Nov-10, 20:00
Received numerous emails from paypal today regarding unauthorised transactions from my account. I was requested to change my password etc. which I have done. When I logged in to my account I see several transaction have occured. The culprit, direct2driveuk. Fortunately paypal are aware of this. Not so sure I will do more online shopping. Really, how secure are your details?

Has this happened to anyone else?

George Brims
04-Nov-10, 20:08
Oh dear. When you went to change your password, did you do it by clicking a link in the email, or by typing the url into your browser? Also did you see these fraudulent transactions before or after you changed your password? If you clicked on a link and did it, you may have been at a fake version of the PayPal site, which has grabbed your information.

2little2late
04-Nov-10, 20:13
I logged in to paypal account via browser. It then gave me option to change my personal details.
Also the name of the Guy is Kevin Ishimoto.

teenybash
04-Nov-10, 20:14
sounds as if you have been spoofed...best to change your password and any emails from what looks like Paypal should be forwared to spoof@paypal.com and never click on any links.
Paypal will let you know if it was a spoof email and they will be able to track where the fake came from and block the address.

Beat Bug
04-Nov-10, 20:14
I never click on a link in an email like this. It's always safer to log on through your normal log on page

2little2late
04-Nov-10, 20:19
I never clicked on any link, and the email did not ask me to. I typed url into browser then signed in to email account.

Kodiak
04-Nov-10, 20:52
I never clicked on any link, and the email did not ask me to. I typed url into browser then signed in to email account.

What address did you type in the Browser?

Why did you sign into e-mail accout?

The e-mail that was suppoed to be from PayPal Who was it addressed to? It sounds fishy to me.

2little2late
04-Nov-10, 21:00
What address did you type in the Browser?

Why did you sign into e-mail accout?

The e-mail that was suppoed to be from PayPal Who was it addressed to? It sounds fishy to me.

paypal.co.uk,
singed into email account to read my emails, why else?
Email was obviously addressed to me.

Xposin
04-Nov-10, 21:31
did u have any previous subscriptions with this company?

i personally have never had any problems with paypal. its the safest way to shop online.

2little2late
04-Nov-10, 21:39
Never have, my paypal account is showing payments I have made and payments refunded. My account is also restricted.

theone
04-Nov-10, 21:54
i personally have never had any problems with paypal. its the safest way to shop online.

Be careful, Paypal is definately not the safest way to shop online.

If you buy something through a website with paypal and it doesn't arrive, you open a dispute with paypal. Paypal listen to you and them, then decide who wins through this "resolution centre".

If you "win" Paypal will take the cash out of the sellers paypal account to refund you. If their account is empty, you'll get nothing. In the month between you ordering the item and the resoltion centre decision, there's a good chance that any dodgy seller will be long gone with your money.

I've experienced this myself.

Paypal is good for ebay, but for anything else (over £100) you are safer using a credit card. That way you're protected by the consumer credit act and claim any lost monies direct from VISA/Mastercard, not from the seller who has disappeared.

theone
04-Nov-10, 21:57
Never have, my paypal account is showing payments I have made and payments refunded. My account is also restricted.

One common mistake often made, and Im not suggesting you have made it, is using the same password for many sites.

If you do, every site you are registered to has your email address and your only password, therefore access to your paypal account.

I'm not suggesting this is the cause here, but I recommend everyone keeps their "normal" password different from their email/money site passwords.

2little2late
04-Nov-10, 21:58
Honestly don't think it's a scam. Some how someone managed to get in to my account. When i logged it tonight, i saw my last log in was 4.05 this morning.

2little2late
04-Nov-10, 22:06
One common mistake often made, and Im not suggesting you have made it, is using the same password for many sites.

If you do, every site you are registered to has your email address and your only password, therefore access to your paypal account.

I'm not suggesting this is the cause here, but I recommend everyone keeps their "normal" password different from their email/money site passwords.

How did this site get my details anyway? Never heard of them before now.

theone
04-Nov-10, 22:43
How did this site get my details anyway? Never heard of them before now.

There's many ways.

Maybe they simply guessed your password. If it's "password" then they probably have!

Is it the same password you use for other sites? For example Caithness.org has your email address and password. If its the same password as paypal, then the admin at Caithness.org could log into your paypal account. Not that I think they would though!

But how many other sites have you used with a password? All it would take is one dodgy site to sell your email and password details, or even for that site to be hacked, and criminals have your paypal account.

Keeping your passwords safe is the best thing you can do for security, and having two email addresses, one for shopping sites and one for forums etc reduces the risk of fraud.

Kenn
05-Nov-10, 11:16
I never open any emails that come from paypal.always delete them and then log into my paypal account directly as have recieved many scam ones over the years.
If there is the same message there then I will take action but so far have never had to change my details in the ten years that I have been using the system.

_Ju_
05-Nov-10, 12:42
If you "win" Paypal will take the cash out of the sellers paypal account to refund you. If their account is empty, you'll get nothing. In the month between you ordering the item and the resoltion centre decision, there's a good chance that any dodgy seller will be long gone with your money.

I've experienced this myself.

I have experienced the exact opposite. I had bought something in the states which never arrived. I opened a dispute. In the resolution e-mail, paypal informed me that they were refunding me and were trying to chase up the seller who had upped sticks and would not communicate.

Given the choices out there and my experience with paypal, I prefer to use them.

theone
05-Nov-10, 18:12
I have experienced the exact opposite. I had bought something in the states which never arrived. I opened a dispute. In the resolution e-mail, paypal informed me that they were refunding me and were trying to chase up the seller who had upped sticks and would not communicate.

Given the choices out there and my experience with paypal, I prefer to use them.

I take it this was an ebay transaction?

Yes, for ebay, paypal is great. You are protected.

It was non-ebay transactions I was referring to, websites that offer paypal as a means of payment at checkout.

I always use paypal for ebay too.

cecile
06-Nov-10, 00:03
i had this problem too, i received an email form "paypall" and then i had to go onto a website that looked like paypal's but it was not https only http, alway check it before you enter any personal details. fortunately i never went further, it was a scam

M R
06-Nov-10, 03:45
Paypal IS the safest way to shop online, period, where else can you open a dispute if an item arrives in a condition that is not as it should be, or you simply don't receive the item ? and dont say ebay, because their system is pants and not worth going down that road, for ebay matters, go straight to paypal.

Paypal will give you the money back i-regardless if the person who sold you the item has money in their account or not, they will then use their details to get the money back from them (hence the reason for their high fees).

My opinion.

Just to add, anyone who gets scammed in this day an age, needs a reality check. Make good passwords and don't get complacent.

theone
06-Nov-10, 03:58
Paypal IS

Paypal will give you the money back i-regardless if the person who sold you the item has money in their account or not, they will then use their details to get the money back from them (hence the reason for their high fees).

I can assure you that is not the case.

I will dig out an email I got from paypal and post it here.

I would have been protected if the purchase had been through a trusted seller on ebay, but was not because it was through another website. The seller had emptied their account and I lost my money.

where else can you open a dispute if an item arrives in a condition that is not as it should be, or you simply don't receive the item ?

ANY purchase over £100 on a Visa or Mastercard etc and you can demand a "chargeback" from your credit card company. That is the law.

and dont say ebay, because their system is pants and not worth going down that road, for ebay matters, go straight to paypal.

Paypal is owned by eBay.

theone
06-Nov-10, 04:04
As promised, here's the response I got from Paypal after my goods never arrived:

Dear xxxxx,

After careful review, we have concluded our investigation of the Buyer
Complaint described below.

We have decided in your favour, however, we were unable to recover any
funds from the seller's account. As stated in the PayPal User Agreement,
recovery of funds associated with a Buyer Complaint cannot be guaranteed.

Please know that we will make our best effort to recover the funds in
question if they become available in the seller's account in the future,
and will take appropriate action against the seller. Such action may
include issuing a warning, a temporary restriction, or terminating the
account. Keep in mind that PayPal uses a number of factors, including
member complaints, to determine when to take action. Due to privacy laws,
we cannot discuss the details of any action taken. We hope you understand
our policy and that it reassures you that you are safe using PayPal.

-----------------------------------
Transaction Details

Seller's Name: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Seller's Email: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Seller's Transaction ID: xxx

Transaction Date: 11 Sep 2008
Transaction Amount: -481.73 GBP
Invoice ID: xxxx
Your Transaction ID: xxxx
Case Number: xxxx
Buyer's Transaction ID: xxxxx

What to Do Next

This case is now closed. No further action is required by you at this time.

I was of the opinion that Paypal was safe. I now only use them through eBay, where you are protected, and use credit cards elsewhere.

M R
06-Nov-10, 04:10
I can only go by my own experiences, I had only 1 bad experience until about 4 months back.

I had 2 sellers fold on me and not send me the goods, and both i was refunded via paypal, both sellers had closed there ebay site and i was surprised to get my money back (they were both big sellers)..

I didn't realize that eBay owned PayPal, but i still stand by my logic, it's better to open a dispute directly from PayPal than from eBay, it's a more direct route and it makes the offending party think about sorting it out a lot quicker.

M R
06-Nov-10, 04:15
OUCH, £480.................

got to laugh at this bit :

We hope you understand our policy and that it reassures you that you are safe using PayPal.

I see why you have an issue with them, pffff i would be raging. Was this a UK transaction ?

theone
06-Nov-10, 04:35
Yip,

It hurt, I can assure you.

The reason you got your money back is because you purchased through ebay. Paypal "guarantees" ebay transactions. Because I bought outside ebay, no protection.

The don't seem to make that too visible when signing up!

Welcomefamily
07-Nov-10, 10:35
Did you pay by credit card into the paypal account? if you did you can claim 50% - 100% back from the credit card company.

"Paypal only guarantees e bay payments subject to conditions", if you read the small print you have to open the dispute within the time period and subject to lots of conditions.

It is very important if using pay pal that you pay into it with a credit card.

I had a problem with e bay with an order from a false company in Manachester, the goods were delayed, when I contacted the company they responded saying that they had not arrived from the suppliers and would be another 10 days before delivery. When they did not arrive I contacted e bay and pay pal about it and they said it had past their claim deadline.

I then contact previous members who had left comments on the two members when buying or selling goods telling them the problem and very soon I had their names and addresses, however one of the responses had a similar thing happen and he had informed e-bay about their fraudently activities within the time period.

Therefore it could have been argued that e-bay should have informed all other members who had purchased goods. Both e-bay and paypal London address can be found by internet search but it is very difficult getting any information, you are put on hold sent to another department put on hold.

To cut a long story short, I did get all my money back but it did take about 5 months. I had used e-bay for over 10 years with no problems but if you are using them, look at the feedback from various members and the price of the goods the feedback relates to, in the above case most of the goods were worth pence so for less than £100 they both had excellent feedback of 100+.

Never buy goods that are not going to be delivered within two weeks and just go ahead and open a dispute dont be fobbed off with excuses.

I have not purchased from there since I only use a credit card for on line shopping its much safer.

theone
07-Nov-10, 18:46
Welcomefamily,

I wouldn't be put off using ebay because of what has happened, I would just be careful how you pay.

Pay by paypal, but never pay "out of your account", always add your funds at checkout using your credit card. That way you are still protected by the consumer credit act.

It is no coincidence that paypal encourage you to add funds direct from a back account, only using a credit card as a "backup source. Paypal knows that you can issue a "chargeback" through your credit card but not through your bank.

onecalledk
09-Nov-10, 10:12
had a problem a couple of years back when my card had been cloned, as I funded my paypal account via my bank account the girl at the bank advised me to stop doing this. THe people who cloned the bank card were able to get into the paypal account, change the password etc etc.

Paypal were less than helpful, they want to do it all via email and dont like answering the phone ! eventually got it all sorted, got it all refunded and now NEVER fund paypal via the bank. If paying into paypal via a credit card always remember to go back into paypal and take the card BACK OFF the site as it likes to store it for next time ....

K