PDA

View Full Version : cost of building a house??

chickflick
02-Nov-10, 22:25
Does any1 have any idea how much local builders are charging to erect a house on average?

Its a basic 4 bedroom house kit,nothing fancy.Price to exclude plot & kit just the cost to erect.

mushroom
02-Nov-10, 22:35
I would think that you would need to give the builders a set of plans to get a price. I would advise you to go to several builders for a price and go by recomendations of their work, as there is certainly one company on the go that claims to cut everyones price but I still wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.

JustMe
02-Nov-10, 22:40
Good prices here http://shop.lego.com/ByTheme/Product.aspx?p=5891&cn=348&d=70 :lol:

Scarybiscuits03
02-Nov-10, 22:45
Does any1 have any idea how much local builders are charging to erect a house on average?

Its a basic 4 bedroom house kit,nothing fancy.Price to exclude plot & kit just the cost to erect.

You are best sending the plans via email and asking for quotes - it wont be cheap though! I emailed some a few years back about building an extension, it was simple with nowt fancy and they quoted 100 grand!!! I ended up moving house instead!

Good Luck

Kodiak
02-Nov-10, 22:48
The Ultimate Kit House and they erect it is a week :-

http://www.huf-haus.com/en/portfolio.html

chickflick
02-Nov-10, 22:48
Good prices here http://shop.lego.com/ByTheme/Product.aspx?p=5891&cn=348&d=70 :lol:

very clever!!! not :lol:

ducati
02-Nov-10, 23:00
Have you chosen a kit? If you get the suppliers to erect it you save the VAT.

I don't know about others but Norscot are very reasonable http://www.norscot.co.uk/housekits/about.asp

"A structural kit erection service, to ‘wind and watertight’ stage, is available at a cost of approximately 35% of the Basic Kit Cost plus travel and subsistence. If this service is employed, VAT would not be chargeable on the kit."

So you would be looking at about £7,000 to get the structural kit up. Then you have all the trades and finishing on top of that.

teddybear1873
02-Nov-10, 23:03
Ask Bob the Builder. Danna know his phone number though.

annemarie482
02-Nov-10, 23:12
i know how much my 4 bed bungalow cost to build last year........
but there are so many factors in pricing.

from planning and building warrants,
connection of water and electric (price depends on whats already near by, will an extra tranformer need put in, you even have to pay for extra poles etc)
the type of ground you building on!! if it turns out your building on rock it can prove more expensive.
if you need a septic tank or connecting to mains,
size of your kit,
quoin stone corners etc?
a bay window alone can add £5000 to the price!:eek:
pvc or wooden windows and doors?
type of roof truss? if you plan to use upstairs at a later date.

so to be honest its worth emailing your requirements to all the local builders to get a good idea.
you couldn't honestly compare one house against another as there are too many factors involved.

Aussiewicker
03-Nov-10, 00:23
Generally, you're looking at between £900 - £1000 per sq. mtr.

richard
03-Nov-10, 22:32
you could try caithness homes 01955602746

sandyr1
04-Nov-10, 01:05
Generally, you're looking at between £900 - £1000 per sq. mtr.

Interesting....In Canada presently the cost of a new home is approx $170 per sq foot. = $500 per sq. mtr. Then the septic system if required is $12,000 ....and at a currency exchange rate of 1.6 .....The UK price seems quite high?!

theone
04-Nov-10, 01:32
Interesting....In Canada presently the cost of a new home is approx $170 per sq foot. = $500 per sq. mtr. Then the septic system if required is $12,000 ....and at a currency exchange rate of 1.6 .....The UK price seems quite high?!

A square metre is roughy 3.3 x 3.3 foot = 10.9 sq foot.

$170 per sq ft = $1853 per sq m

davem
04-Nov-10, 01:33
9 Sq ft in a sq yd - sq metre is bigger than that - so $1700 a sq metre

sandyr1
04-Nov-10, 01:44
Just realized that my calculations were totally wrong......1-10 approx...aghhhhhhhhhhhh

sandyr1
04-Nov-10, 01:46
Ahhhh...good.....someone caught it/ I seem to be in a bit of a time loop here/ things don't go on right away...Tks...