PDA

View Full Version : Trawlermen on TV

Rheghead
03-Aug-06, 19:04
Has anyone been watching the exploits of the boys on the Ocean Venture and the Amity II? It has been a great series, quite exciting really!:)

I wouldn't like to do it mind, landlubber myself, but I like my fish though and I will eat my next fish supper with a new insight into how it ended on the plate.

Kingetter
03-Aug-06, 19:10
Has anyone been watching the exploits of the boys on the Ocean Venture and the Amity II? It has been a great series, quite exciting really!:)

I wouldn't like to do it mind, landlubber myself, but I like my fish though and I will eat my next fish supper with a new insight into how it ended on the plate.

Never watch TV, but am curious - why name a vessel Amity? A joke about JAWS?

Errogie
03-Aug-06, 20:58
It felt queasy just watching them eating their food and gutting fish below decks in a force 8 or 9.

Does being seasick ever diminish, it once carried on for me half an hour after reaching dry land again?

Great programmes, these guys have my whole hearted respect for what they have to do to get our fish suppers.

buggyracer
03-Aug-06, 21:14
great series, and about time these men got the respect they are due for what they go through!

pultneytooner
03-Aug-06, 21:22
Great thread, rheghead, these guys have my utmost respect for what they do, as you say, most people see a cod supper with no idea what went into it arriving at the chipshop.
Also watched a prog about the king crab fishers, for a ninety day season in horrendous seas these guys deserve every penny they get.

mooncat
03-Aug-06, 21:45
Surely they have the freshest fish and chips in the world, from swim to net to plate in less than an hour..... looked very tasty... ridiculous that they have to throw fish back if they have too much, surely they can work a yellow card system so there isnt any waste...

r.rackstraw
03-Aug-06, 21:49
This the best stuff that has been on tv for months. Gives a real insight into the fisherman's job.

pultneytooner
03-Aug-06, 21:51
This the best stuff that has been on tv for months. Gives a real insight into the fisherman's job.
Separates the boys from the men.

Ricco
04-Aug-06, 09:45
Separates the boys from the men.

Really good programme. As has been said - its about time the general public knew the effort that went into getting their haddie and chips! I was very surprised at how much of the catch went abroad. Why is that? Yet it is so cheap in France and Spain. As for sorting out the men from the boys - Thursday night's episode certainly proved that - the 'wee' lad couldn't take it. I don't know if you can ever get over seasickness - I take tablets every trip - one for Force 3 - 4, two for anything higher.

golach
04-Aug-06, 09:50
Really good programme. As has been said - its about time the general public knew the effort that went into getting their haddie and chips! I was very surprised at how much of the catch went abroad. Why is that? Yet it is so cheap in France and Spain. As for sorting out the men from the boys - Thursday night's episode certainly proved that - the 'wee' lad couldn't take it. I don't know if you can ever get over seasickness - I take tablets every trip - one for Force 3 - 4, two for anything higher.
Me too Ricco I was 8 years in the Merchant Navy I got seasick for the first few days every time I went back to sea after leave.
Not to worry Admiral Nelson was prone to " the Mal de Mere" so we are in good company, Mrs G NEVER gets seasick, but hates boats[disgust]

CorneliusC
04-Aug-06, 10:56
Unfortunately, I've missed the series, but can wholeheartedly recommend Redmond O' Hanlon's book "Trawler" - about an expedition from the Orkneys in extreme weather. It actually turns into quite an interesting psychological look at the men and their personalities, which as an urban female I found fascinating!

buggyracer
04-Aug-06, 11:19
im sure the last one is on tonight at 7pm, i wonder if they will bring it out on a dvd? as i know a few who missed it but would have liked to see it. anyone record it??

orkneylass
04-Aug-06, 18:05
Saw a bit and it was really well done - which is the best takeaway in Wick, especially for fish & chips? Or is there somewhere really good to go for lunch on a saturday? My pal and I are coming over soon for a shopping trip to the retail park.

Fran
05-Aug-06, 02:19
I agree the trawler programmes were very good, but even better was the BBC film the Penlee RNLI, all about the lifeboats heroic attemp to rescue men, a woman and 2 children from a stricken coaster in terrible weather conditions. they were all lost. It was a remarkable story and very well filmed.

kas
05-Aug-06, 02:44
I think its been a great series and hope they do something similiar next year. I thought Kevin from Amity was fantastic entertainment.

I dont know if everyone has heard of the deadliest catch, but it was along the same lines, but in more deadlier waters, looking for Alaskian crab. Its repeated quite a bit on the discovery channel, and is well worth watching.

Like Fran I also thought the Penlee lifeboat programme was very good, although a terrible tradgedy. The bravery of those men words cant describe.

Rheghead
05-Aug-06, 08:38
I thought Kevin from Amity was fantastic entertainment.

Especially the bit where he gurned about the cod being too big and they were making him sick! :lol:

kas
05-Aug-06, 08:43
Especially the bit where he gurned about the cod being too big and they were making him sick! :lol:

That was Ryan. Kevin was the Irish guy on the Jimmys prawn boat.

peedie
05-Aug-06, 09:13
i thought the programme was magic!! and kevin was a real character you probably need someone like that in those conditions!! the prawns looked delicious(possibly spelled wrong:Razz )

has anyone else heard about all the complaints about the programme? apparently people weren't happy that subtitles were used!

orkneylass
05-Aug-06, 09:23
Now why would people complain about subtitles. Many local dialects are far removed from standard BBC english but that does not make them wrong. Whatever dialect you are brought up with, your ear will have difficulties adjusting to a radically different one. Surely the idea of subtitles is not to insult the speakers but to ensure that as wide an audience as possible can enjoy the programme. Anyone listening to lots of stuff they can't make out would switch off. that's not a criticism of dialect, just an understandable reality. Do the complainers have a chip on their shoulders that says that they feel inferior?? I love the comment on one orger's messages "No one can make you feel inferior without your permission"

peedie
05-Aug-06, 09:31
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/mbpointsofview/F1951566?thread=3323871

this is where i found it, its actually the SNP that was not happy, what do u do? i thought it was a good idea. i could understand but i'm sure it has opened it up for anyone no used to the accent. daft! :roll:

peter macdonald
05-Aug-06, 11:49
I suppose there two different ways of looking at the subtitles issue
If they help over to the UK public what these guys do to put food on the tables (theirs and ours) then great !! However I think its a bit demeaning to have to subtitle a dialect which is much easier on the ear than some of the others that invade our living rooms via TV .

mooncat
05-Aug-06, 12:40
I thought the subtitles was poor I have never seen subtitiles on any other programme than scottish..!!! what about the scoucers, the brummies and the cornish, people would just say its quaint.... I remember there being subtitles on RabC ( down in england ) but then that was understandable ( excuse the pun )

Rheghead
05-Aug-06, 16:02
Now why would people complain about subtitles. Many local dialects are far removed from standard BBC english but that does not make them wrong. Whatever dialect you are brought up with, your ear will have difficulties adjusting to a radically different one. Surely the idea of subtitles is not to insult the speakers but to ensure that as wide an audience as possible can enjoy the programme. Anyone listening to lots of stuff they can't make out would switch off. that's not a criticism of dialect, just an understandable reality. Do the complainers have a chip on their shoulders that says that they feel inferior?? I love the comment on one orger's messages "No one can make you feel inferior without your permission"

Well said. And the background noise of the trawler made understanding difficult.

Kenn
05-Aug-06, 22:06
I was amazed that a member of the government could get so upset about sub-titles whilst the trawler skipper was not in the least put out.
I listened carefully to the extract that was played on radio and appart from one word that I do not know the derivation of the Doric was understanable.I wish that there were more programmes where dialect was used and that there were more documentaries of this kind as folks that live in cities often have little idea of where their food comes from or the hardships incurred in providing it.

'ere me 'andsomes wud 'e unnerstan I if I were speaking me own dialect ? Or even me own language?

Variety is the spice of life .