PDA

View Full Version : Votes for prisoners!

Garnet
02-Nov-10, 13:30
It's the latest.....our 'wonderful' governing Con/Dems are now considering giving 'Prisoners' the VOTE...as the EU have said it's unlawful (remind me why they're in prison in the first place! duh!). I say why not they've got everything else....and to hell (oops I ment heck) with the expense and just take it off our pensioners!!!! [evil][disgust]

Chrisf1961
02-Nov-10, 13:32
Dont start me on this one!

Shabbychic
02-Nov-10, 13:50
Could this perhaps mean that our prisons are full of Tory crooks, and they need every vote they can get? :eek:

golach
02-Nov-10, 13:56
I am not a fan of the Con/dems but its not their fault. Its the European Court of Human Rights fault.

Britain banned prisoners from voting in the 14th century, but in 2004 the European Court of Human Rights declared that the blanket ban made by Britain was discriminatory.

northener
02-Nov-10, 15:25
I am not a fan of the Con/dems but its not their fault. Its the European Court of Human Rights fault.

Britain banned prisoners from voting in the 14th century, but in 2004 the European Court of Human Rights declared that the blanket ban made by Britain was discriminatory.

Golachs' right.

Nothing to do with British politics.

Garnet
02-Nov-10, 19:44
OK, Golach you say it's not the Con/Dems fault it's the EU's, this may be so but I just wonder WHY we bother with prisons at all, after all I was under the (misguided it seems) impression that after committing a crime you had your liberties taken away, this being the standard 'punishment'. There is nowhere I know of that says, however we'll supply you with several ammeneties so you dont miss out ie; TV, Snooker etc not to mention 4 squares per day (3 even), roof over head, no Poll tax, I could go on, no wonder chrisf1961 doesn't want to start. This will also include paying dozens of inmates K's of £££'s each, what idiot said we'd be better off joining the EU. ggrrrrrrrrrrrr. [disgust] PS Golach please do not think I'm attacking you in person just venting my anger when our pensioners and servismen/women are so badly treated, oh I give up in disgust!!

Chrisf1961
02-Nov-10, 19:50
Totally totally agree with last post ......stuff the Eu time to pull out and govern ourselves and that includes this country Scotland ..

J C Denton
02-Nov-10, 19:54
The European Court of Human Rights and the European Union are two completely separate entities. Withdrawing from the EU wouldn't prevent the European Court of Human Rights from having jurisdication over the UK.

Chrisf1961
02-Nov-10, 19:57
Well thats as maybe i dont profess to be up on these things but im sick and tired of being told by some cretins abroad how to run our country.....

golach
02-Nov-10, 20:03
OK, Golach you say it's not the Con/Dems fault it's the EU's, . [disgust] PS Golach please do not think I'm attacking you in person just venting my anger when our pensioners and servismen/women are so badly treated, oh I give up in disgust!!
I never said it was the European Unions fault, the UK joined the European Convention on Human Rights drafted in 1950, which came into force in 1953, the UK joined the EEC in 1973, so the EU is not to blame.
And likewise Garnet I am trying to inform not attack

Garnet
02-Nov-10, 20:42
Sorry golach, I'm afraid I'm a bit like chrisF1961, I'm not really bothered about 'WHO' it was or where it came from, just the whole idea of the injustice of it all, why are they not shouting/looking out for the ones I already mentioned, and I take no offence golach, feel better now cloud lifted a little. :lol:

Chrisf1961
02-Nov-10, 20:49
lol................

Ricco
02-Nov-10, 21:14
Next thing we shall probably see is that prisoners given the right to stand as MPs, local councillors, etc.

I'm sorry, but my view is that if someone breaks the laws of society they lose the benefits and rights that go with a socially acceptable human being. Otherwise it shows clear as crystal that crime DOES pay and society will sink into anarchy.

Oh, it already is - forgot about that! [evil]

Do you know - that is my first 'Grrr!' smilie.

Chrisf1961
02-Nov-10, 21:16
Hear Hear .....................

orkneycadian
02-Nov-10, 21:38
the UK joined the European Convention on Human Rights drafted in 1950, which came into force in 1953, the UK joined the EEC in 1973, so the EU is not to blame.

The European Court of Human Rights and the European Union are two completely separate entities. Withdrawing from the EU wouldn't prevent the European Court of Human Rights from having jurisdication over the UK.

So what would need to be done to "undo" joining the European Convention on Human Rights?

Mystical Potato Head
02-Nov-10, 21:40
Next thing we shall probably see is that prisoners given the right to stand as MPs, local councillors, etc.

I'm sorry, but my view is that if someone breaks the laws of society they lose the benefits and rights that go with a socially acceptable human being. Otherwise it shows clear as crystal that crime DOES pay and society will sink into anarchy.

Oh, it already is - forgot about that! [evil]

Do you know - that is my first 'Grrr!' smilie.

There are quite a few crooked M'Ps who are lucky not to be in prison themselves.

mufasa
02-Nov-10, 22:12
why not they are the same as the ones they would be voting for.:D they have been found guilty they dont hide behind laws from the dark ages letting them of with fraud SO WHO ARE THE CRIMINALS?:lol:

ducati
02-Nov-10, 22:54
Personally, I agree that convicts should have no right to vote. Our constitution made this so a very long time ago.

However, I don't believe anyone seriously would want to withdrawer from the European Convention on Human Rights. It is not the sort of thing you can pick and choose which bits you will abide by. That's what the likes of Adolf Hitler and Robert Mugabe did/do.

Dadie
03-Nov-10, 00:24
Sometimes I wonder if being a law abiding citizen is worth it!
OAPs with serious problems not getting the care they are entitled to without someone to fight their case...would they have a better life and care facilities if they commited a life in imprisonment crime?....the answer is probably yes!

Catharnach74
03-Nov-10, 00:38
This is as ridiculous than the UK joining forces militarily with the French, giving prisoners the right to vote is playing with fire, very dangerous politically.

Kevin Milkins
03-Nov-10, 01:59
I would have no issue with prisoners having the right to vote, as long as the only thing that they are allowed to vote on is, do we have bromide in our tea or not.

I thought that the idea of incarceration is to deprive someone of there liberty, and that would include the right to have a say about what goes on in a civilised society.

Metalattakk
03-Nov-10, 03:54
<Devil's Advocate>

Why not give them a vote?

Let's face it, any dimwit, idiot, numbskull chav gets a vote too, and a vote that is worth exactly the same as a vote from a politically aware, educated and coherent adult.

Who says one is any better than the other at choosing?

</Devil's Advocate>

northener
06-Nov-10, 21:04
This is as ridiculous than the UK joining forces militarily with the French, giving prisoners the right to vote is playing with fire, very dangerous politically.

Why is it ridiculous to work closely with one of our nearest neighbours when it comes to military operations?

Bazeye
06-Nov-10, 22:01
Why is it ridiculous to work closely with one of our nearest neighbours when it comes to military operations?

Its not ridiculous to work with them but it is ridiculous to rely on them.