PDA

View Full Version : Why Cant I own A Canadian

pultneytooner
03-Aug-06, 18:07
Dr. Laura Schlessinger is a radio personality who dispenses advice to people who call in to her radio show. Recently, she said that, as an observant Orthodox Jew, homosexuality is an abomination according to Leviticus 18:22 and cannot be condoned under any circumstance. The following is an open letter to Dr. Laura penned by a east coast resident, which was posted on the Internet. It's funny, as well as informative:

Dear Dr. Laura:

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from your show, and try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. End of debate. I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some of the other specific laws and how to follow them:

When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord - Lev.1:9. The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?

A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination - Lev. 11:10, it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this?

Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?

Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev. 19:27. How should they die?

I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev. 19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? - Lev.24:10-16. Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident you can help. Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.

canuck
03-Aug-06, 20:32
You wouldn't want to own a Canadian. We can be very ..... well lots of things.

pultneytooner
03-Aug-06, 20:39
You wouldn't want to own a Canadian. We can be very ..... well lots of things. Very..Scottishlike..........or a combination of our auld allies the french:eek:

Malcolmdog
03-Aug-06, 21:35
You wouldn't want to own a Canadian. We can be very ..... well lots of things.

I absolutely agree. We are a "different" lot. some of the best of the old world and some of the weirdest from the new world!!!

pultneytooner
03-Aug-06, 21:36
I absolutely agree. We are a "different" lot. some of the best of the old world and some of the weirdest from the new world!!!
I wanna be a canadian, it's scotland away from home is it not?

Malcolmdog
03-Aug-06, 21:40

It can be!!! Seems most of us have origins in Scotland. I was in a town last week near Caledonia and the street was named Caithness Ave., Just wish I could have found an Old Pultney Single Malt!!! then I would have been in heaven!!!
I wanna be a Scots !!!!

Kingetter
03-Aug-06, 21:40

Way to go!

Somewhat larger than life if comparisons are made.

pultneytooner
03-Aug-06, 21:46
Way to go!

Somewhat larger than life if comparisons are made.
In all seriousness i have read, seen and heard that canadians of scottish descent are more aware of their heritage than we are, maybe we take our culture for granted.

Kingetter
03-Aug-06, 21:51
In all seriousness i have read, seen and heard that canadians of scottish descent are more aware of their heritage than we are, maybe we take our culture for granted.

In areas like Nova Scotia, there's a far greater interest in Gaelic for instance. Indeed, moons ago, when early settlers arrived there from Scotland, local natives learned Gaelic often before English. Every year, in a place called Iona in NS they re-enact the arrival of the Barra MacNeils with a weekend pageant.
Loads of places named from the motherland - like Inverness of course.

canuck
03-Aug-06, 22:01

.....And Thurso, don't forget Thurso, Quebec.

Kingetter
03-Aug-06, 22:21
In areas like Nova Scotia, there's a far greater interest in Gaelic for instance. Indeed, moons ago, when early settlers arrived there from Scotland, local natives learned Gaelic often before English. Every year, in a place called Iona in NS they re-enact the arrival of the Barra MacNeils with a weekend pageant.

http://www.barramacneils.com/

Malcolmdog
03-Aug-06, 23:24

HMMM maybe, we are very proud of our Scots roots. They came to this country worked hard, helped to build a nation.

If any of you are in Canada during August, one of our biggest scottish festivals is happening. Drop by the Clan Tents we just love to see anyone who is here from our "favourite" place. I won't be working at the Graham tent this year, but definitely at the festival.

www.fergusscottishfestival.com

Recently I was given a book from the Ferguson Clan of Canada that traces their roots beginning immediately after the Napoleonic wars,when they arrived in Canada to claim, their soldiers pay in the form of a land grant. if any Ferguson's out there are tracing their Canadian roots let me know. I can scan the book for you.

canuck
03-Aug-06, 23:38
HMMM maybe, we are very proud of our Scots roots. They came to this country worked hard, helped to build a nation.

If any of you are in Canada during August, one of our biggest scottish festivals is happening. Drop by the Clan Tents we just love to see anyone who is here from our "favourite" place. I won't be working at the Graham tent this year, but definitely at the festival.

www.fergusscottishfestival.com (http://www.fergusscottishfestival.com)

Recently I was given a book from the Ferguson Clan of Canada that traces their roots beginning immediately after the Napoleonic wars,when they arrived in Canada to claim, their soldiers pay in the form of a land grant. if any Ferguson's out there are tracing their Canadian roots let me know. I can scan the book for you.

Are you going to be in Fergus this year? I was thinking of going to the games, but now for sure. We can PM and set up a time for an org get together. Maybe president rich wants to go too?

Yes, I think that Canadian Scots are often pretty fanatic about their ancestry. As for Caledonia, isn't it fascinating. The main street isn't High Street, but rather Argyle St and in addition to Caithness there is Sutherland and Ross and Paisley and and and. Winnipeg is much the same.

Kingetter
03-Aug-06, 23:59
I would love to be there

Malcolmdog
04-Aug-06, 00:03
Are you going to be in Fergus this year? I was thinking of going to the games, but now for sure. We can PM and set up a time for an org get together. Maybe president rich wants to go too?

Yes, I think that Canadian Scots are often pretty fanatic about their ancestry. As for Caledonia, isn't it fascinating. The main street isn't High Street, but rather Argyle St and in addition to Caithness there is Sutherland and Ross and Paisley and and and. Winnipeg is much the same.

Sounds like a good plan. I will PM you and we can set up a time and meeting spot - I can hardly wait for the fine dining experience-Mushy Peas in a styro cup!!! we may even see one or two iron bru - imported all the way from over there! - the best parts of the day- the HEAVY EVENTS and Piping Competition.

Malcolmdog
04-Aug-06, 00:06
Canuck, I don't think any of the Scots will want to own us!! we will eat them out of house and home - mushy peas will not be safe anywhere, nor their secret stash of Iron Bru. Now if I could just get my hands on that Old Pultney Malt....................the Fergus games would be perfect!!

golach
04-Aug-06, 00:09
I know hunners o Canucks, I worked there for 10 months, I widdna want till keep one as a pet, nor own one....but as pals 'ats a different story

Malcolmdog
04-Aug-06, 00:15
I know hunners o Canucks, I worked there for 10 months, I widdna want till keep one as a pet, nor own one....but as pals 'ats a different story

Did you work on the Great Lakes?

canuck
04-Aug-06, 01:40
Canuck, I don't think any of the Scots will want to own us!! we will eat them out of house and home - Now if I could just get my hands on that Old Pultney Malt...

Ah, pultneytooner, perhaps if you could arrange for us to get our hands around a wee glass of that golden elixir we could arrange to loan you something Canadian.

pultneytooner
04-Aug-06, 07:39
Ah, pultneytooner, perhaps if you could arrange for us to get our hands around a wee glass of that golden elixir we could arrange to loan you something Canadian. Just a glass o' the cratur.[lol]

pultneytooner
04-Aug-06, 08:07
Here's an interesting piece of canadian history:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Plains_of_Abraham

Ricco
04-Aug-06, 08:59
Canadians definitely are best not owned, you will get far more out of them as compatriots. They are fiercely independant and yet very gregarious; will fight by your side and yet are kind and gentle; good looking (of course!) and yet quite rugged; generous and yet thrifty. Very like the Scots, actually!

But if you need to own someone - the Americans are easy money.... most of them are already owned by Bush. :lol:

golach
04-Aug-06, 09:46
Did you work on the Great Lakes?
Yes Malcolmdog circ 1958, arrived off Halifax late Feb, then proceeded up the St Lawrence, to Detroit, via Montreal, Toronto, then we sailed to places like Chicago, Cleveland, Buffalo, then to Newfoundland, where we called into places like Cornerbrook, Botwood, St Johns, then back up the Lakes, to do it all over again, it was a small ship built in Burntisland in Fife especially for working up the Great Lakes, before the Seaway was opened, there were 28 of a crew, all from the East Coast of Scotland, the name was MV Dundee of the Dundee Perth and London Shipping Coy. but on the Lakes we traded as the Newfoundland Shipping Coy. Finally we set off for home early Dec, and got iced in a lock in Montreal for 3 days, and eventually arrived home to the UK 2nd Jan 1957, 3 weeks later I joined the same ship to do a trip across the Atlantic, and had a trip down the Caribbean. Ahhh great days

Kingetter
04-Aug-06, 09:52
What memories eh?

canuck
04-Aug-06, 15:18
Here's an interesting piece of canadian history:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Plains_of_Abraham

I suspect that Quebecers do a great re-enactment of this battle.

We have wonderful replays of the War of 1812 in our area.

canuck
04-Aug-06, 15:52
Here is the link for the festival in Fergus:

http://www.fergusscottishfestival.com/

Let me know if any of the Caithness gamers will be there and I'll keep an eye out for them.

Malcolmdog
04-Aug-06, 17:52
very interesting!! have you been over since? I think you will find the Toronto Harbour front has changed a great deal since then. The water is actually a nice blue colour again, thanks to the clean up by the Americans and us of our pollution.

Yes Malcolmdog circ 1958, arrived off Halifax late Feb, then proceeded up the St Lawrence, to Detroit, via Montreal, Toronto, then we sailed to places like Chicago, Cleveland, Buffalo, then to Newfoundland, where we called into places like Cornerbrook, Botwood, St Johns, then back up the Lakes, to do it all over again, it was a small ship built in Burntisland in Fife especially for working up the Great Lakes, before the Seaway was opened, there were 28 of a crew, all from the East Coast of Scotland, the name was MV Dundee of the Dundee Perth and London Shipping Coy. but on the Lakes we traded as the Newfoundland Shipping Coy. Finally we set off for home early Dec, and got iced in a lock in Montreal for 3 days, and eventually arrived home to the UK 2nd Jan 1957, 3 weeks later I joined the same ship to do a trip across the Atlantic, and had a trip down the Caribbean. Ahhh great days

DrSzin
04-Aug-06, 18:39
I suspect that Quebecers do a great re-enactment of this battle.Brrrrr. The coldest urban experience I've had in my life was in Québec. The main thing I recall about that day is the intense cold, and trying to keep my fingers and feet from freezing and falling off. It was cold even by Québec standards. I can't even begin to imagine doing a re-enactment - it'd be too dashed cold. :eek:

We have wonderful replays of the War of 1812 in our area.That sounds fun. Can I play Napoleon? Wait a sec - surely you're not referring to some minor skirmish on your side of the Pond that took place in the same year? :confused

canuck
04-Aug-06, 18:43
Brrrrr. The coldest urban experience I've had in my life was in Québec. The main thing I recall about that day is the intense cold, and trying to keep my fingers and feet from freezing and falling off. It was cold even by Québec standards. I can't even begin to imagine doing a re-enactment - it'd be too dashed cold. :eek:

That sounds fun. Can I play Napoleon? Wait a sec - surely you're not referring to some minor skirmish on your side of the Pond that took place in the same year? :confused

Yes, Quebec City gets a bit nippy mid-winter.

As to the 1812 reference, that is why the coat colours matched when the Canadians went to the re-enactments of Waterloo.

DrSzin
04-Aug-06, 19:28
As to the 1812 reference, that is why the coat colours matched when the Canadians went to the re-enactments of Waterloo.Whose coats matched whose?