PDA

View Full Version : Are we in for a bad winter/windy weather?

Chrisf1961
01-Nov-10, 17:12
Just been outside to move my lads toys,my god is it windy and cold!
Are we in for a bad winter this year or is this normal weather for Wick/Caithness. Im not from the area but im expecting the worse in the next few months.

Mystical Potato Head
01-Nov-10, 18:01
Just been outside to move my lads toys,my god is it windy and cold!
Are we in for a bad winter this year or is this normal weather for Wick/Caithness. Im not from the area but im expecting the worse in the next few months.

Its not very windy and not very cold either so your in for a shock when the weather does get bad.As for a bad winter,well the weather experts told us last year to expect a mild winter and we ended up with one of the coldest in the last 100 years or so,

Like any other place,its windy when its windy and calm when its calm.Last winter was bitterly cold but relatively gale free and all the ice and snow made it one of the bonniest winters i can remember for a long time.

billmoseley
01-Nov-10, 18:03
gonna be windy but mild the next few days i think but we will have to wait and see what we have in store for this winter.

unicorn
01-Nov-10, 18:43
I was out and didn't think it was that cold but everyone I met was saying ohhh it's cold enough to snow.
I enjoyed last winter and didn't think it felt as cold as normal even though it obviously was colder, I think it was because it was not windy or as damp as usual.

Corrie 3
01-Nov-10, 19:01
Im not from the area but im expecting the worse in the next few months.
I can tell you arent from Caithness, this is GOOD weather for November, wait till it gets bad!!!..lol

C3...:eek:

mrlennie
01-Nov-10, 19:10
I've been living here since I was 11 (now 20) and the winters up here have all been snowy / windy (blizzardy?) since I can remember. Funny enough I spent 2 years back down south when the weather went a bit weird and there was loads of snow down there. As you can imagine my whole world was turned upside down! OK not upside down but it was nice to have all the dirty roads covered in sweet snow.

Commore
01-Nov-10, 19:34
I quite enjoyed last Winter, the snow was a novelty and even though it lasted several weeks we did have some nice days with the sun shining and reasonably warm-ish,

The previous year was rain, very wet and windy all the time, I hope this year won't be a wet winter,
It's the livestock, I feel for, out in all weathers, this year however, ours will be in.

Chrisf1961
01-Nov-10, 19:45
Good weather for November !! The wind's howling round the door & I'm having to tie things down, god help me I'll never survive:D

orkneycadian
01-Nov-10, 20:53
I've been living here since I was 11 (now 20) and the winters up here have all been snowy / windy (blizzardy?) since I can remember.

Hmmm, as someone posted above, you aint seen nothing yet!

Using a yardstick of even a landrover having difficulty getting up or down the road, the last 5 years at least have had a lot less snow than average. For the last 5 winters or so, even a car or a van has had no trouble (this being a farm road that doesn't get ploughed)

It must be about 7 years since the landrover had a few challenges ahead of it, and resorted to tramping back and fore to platt the drifts down first. No had to do that for years now, and last year, there was never a day you couldn't drive anywhere you wanted in a 2 wheel drive car, even up side roads and farm tracks!

Mystical Potato Head
01-Nov-10, 21:14
Good weather for November !! The wind's howling round the door & I'm having to tie things down, god help me I'll never survive:D

You'll know when its really windy because when you open the front door the cat will get sucked up the chimney. ;)

I was fishing off Dunnet Head one day and it was so windy a set of chain harrows landed on the deck of the boat.Luckily for us the wind wasnt strong enough
to blow the tractor on the deck,it landed about 20 yards away.The poor farmer probably landed on Hoy.

Dont worry about it.You'll cope.Everyone does..

mrlennie
01-Nov-10, 22:36
Dont worry about it.You'll cope.Everyone does..

Aye once it gets past a certain point it's just bad weather. The only thing different about caithness winters I've noticed is it gets colder earlier and snows earlier for longer. The wind is more persistent and sometimes you have to put a rock on your bin (Although I do love seeing it fly down the street). Is it just me or is the weather getting worse everywhere now?

Kenn
02-Nov-10, 01:12
Do I detect more than a little poetic licence there MPH?

orkneycadian
02-Nov-10, 08:17
The only thing different about caithness winters I've noticed is it gets colder earlier and snows earlier for longer.

That must explain where all the snow for the rest of us has gone then! Must be a microclimate round your house!

Mystical Potato Head
02-Nov-10, 08:18
Do I detect more than a little poetic licence there MPH?

Quite a few years ago now in the Station Bar this old gentleman told us loads of "weather stories",he had us in stitches.Thats the only two i can remember out of dozens IIRC.
I thought the were genuine stories,do you think they are somewhat exaggerated Lizz? :lol: