PDA

View Full Version : Johnston Collection

redeyedtreefrog
29-Oct-10, 21:35
Are these images in the public domain?

Johnston died in 1882, and the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 states that copyright expires after fifty years from the death of the author for photographic works.

Or am I missing something?

Torvaig
30-Oct-10, 09:12
www.johnstoncollection.net (http://www.johnstoncollection.net)

Have a look at the above site, select "Biography" and all will be revealed! ;)

redeyedtreefrog
30-Oct-10, 14:29
www.johnstoncollection.net (http://www.johnstoncollection.net)

Have a look at the above site, select "Biography" and all will be revealed! ;)

So any photos taken by Alexander or William should be public domain, but those taken by Alexander Jr are still under copyright?

Kevin Milkins
30-Oct-10, 14:43
So any photos taken by Alexander or William should be public domain, but those taken by Alexander Jr are still under copyright?

I am guessing that The Wick Society now owns the copyright.

They have reproduced this marvelous collection into digital format so they may be enjoyed once again by the masses. I would think this very laborious process would cost a great to to fund, and to cover this cost and to bring more of the photos on line they are asking a very reasonable fee for a quality copy.

I spend a fair bit of time looking through this collection, well done to all those involved.

Kirdon
30-Oct-10, 19:31

Why!!!!. The wick society are a charity trying to preserve our Heritage. Why argue about copyright when they own the pictures and as Kevin says, they will sell you a print for a very reasonable fee. They then use the money to run the museum and produce more copies, everybody wins!. Do you really want to argue about copyright and stop the charity raising money.

achingale
30-Oct-10, 19:47
Are these images in the public domain?

Johnston died in 1882, and the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 states that copyright expires after fifty years from the death of the author for photographic works.

Or am I missing something?

The original photographer Alexander's work and William's work is technically in the public domain and has been for some time. However the website is copyrighted to the Society. Humphrey's work will also now be in the public domain. But as has been said it is a charity and they do benefit to keep up all their good work. The only work I know of that has ever had its copyright extended into perpetuity is J M Barrie's Peter Pan, which was done at the High Court in London.

redeyedtreefrog
30-Oct-10, 20:34
The original photographer Alexander's work and William's work is technically in the public domain and has been for some time. However the website is copyrighted to the Society. Humphrey's work will also now be in the public domain. But as has been said it is a charity and they do benefit to keep up all their good work. The only work I know of that has ever had its copyright extended into perpetuity is J M Barrie's Peter Pan, which was done at the High Court in London.

Oh OK, I understand now. Thanks.