PDA

View Full Version : Student Tuition Fees

rob murray
29-Oct-10, 16:20
Lots of debate going on about tuition fee's...should students have to pay tuition fee's on top of living loans ?

dragonfly
29-Oct-10, 16:22
eeks I hope not otherwise mine will be coming home again!

Gronnuck
29-Oct-10, 16:47
My initial response was that Higher Education should be free and the likes of Blair, Brown and others like them should be ashamed of themselves for having pulled up the drawbridge after they got their degrees. However the country just cannot go on funding Higher Education for every Tom, Dick and Harriet. :confused
Perhaps we should be encouraging people into other trades and professions where a degree is of little consequence. However there are many people who believe that education has become devalued in recent years and I am concerned that employers want prospective staff to have a degree because it might at least guarantee they can read and write. :~(
In truth I can't see a satisfactory conclusion to this debate.

Corrie 3
29-Oct-10, 16:58
Tuition Fee's should be means tested, if well off families could easily pay for them then they should. Too many these days see going to Uni as a Right and its not, Uni places need to be earned, and paid for, in my opinion.

C3....:roll:

rob murray
29-Oct-10, 17:05
Up to 1990, fee's were free and students recieved grants. Due to the conveyor belt approach to higher education, as place takes ups accelerated, so did pressure to pay, hence grants go, converted to loans, now more cash pressure, hence the shout to charge for fee's. My own view is to have a life time graduate tax, ie marginal increase in income tax coding so money is paid back over a working life, kills student debt in a oner, and creates equality of access.

ducati
29-Oct-10, 17:12
Up to 1990, fee's were free and students recieved grants. Due to the conveyor belt approach to higher education, as place takes ups accelerated, so did pressure to pay, hence grants go, converted to loans, now more cash pressure, hence the shout to charge for fee's. My own view is to have a life time graduate tax, ie marginal increase in income tax coding so money is paid back over a working life, kills student debt in a oner, and creates equality of access.

This is a sensible approach, the more you earn the more you pay presumably, so again protects the vocational students (I mean Nurses, charity workers etc).

This does seem very like the Tory's proposal though. ;)

Sorry, sorry, ConDem's

rob murray
29-Oct-10, 17:19
This is a sensible approach, the more you earn the more you pay presumably, so again protects the vocational students (I mean Nurses, charity workers etc).

This does seem very like the Tory's proposal though. ;)

Dont know what the Tory proposal is, nurses ( and this is a sore point ) are not deemed as vocational. Vocational students in our system are seen as mostly trade related and as such covered by the Vocational Qualification system, which is the basis of the UK Modern Apprenticeship system.

ducati
29-Oct-10, 19:00
Dont know what the Tory proposal is, nurses ( and this is a sore point ) are not deemed as vocational. Vocational students in our system are seen as mostly trade related and as such covered by the Vocational Qualification system, which is the basis of the UK Modern Apprenticeship system.

No, I mean as in having a vocation :D

John Little
29-Oct-10, 19:30
I note in the paper today that Mr Osborne has cancelled most of the back tax owed by Vodafone to the Treasury. Apparently they owe more than £8 billion and have been refusing to pay for some years.

£8 billion pays an awful lot of student tuition fees.....

In fact we probably should not need to even ask the question.