PDA

View Full Version : Another reason to give blood

Fluff
28-Oct-10, 20:20
But as if you needed one!

Myself and my partner regularly give blood. During one of my sessions I saw a leaflet about the Anthony Nolan registrar. All that needed to be done was fill out a form and a couple of extra vials of blood would be taken.
This was roughly 4-5 years ago, I put it to the back of my mind.

About 1-2 months ago I received a text and email advising I have been preliminary matched with someone, would I like to continue? Of course I said yes!

Tomorrow morning I am donating bone marrow from my bone. I do not know who it is for, or where in the world they are. All I know is the recipient is a sick child.

There is a 90% success rate in children, it is a 20 minute procedure under a general anesthetic.

You just never know how you can help.

Angela
28-Oct-10, 20:29
That's wonderful to hear, Fluff. :)

Will you find out what happens to the recipient, or don't you ever know?

I know you said "of course I said yes" but not everyone would, when it comes to the point. Well done, you! :)

unicorn
28-Oct-10, 20:30
What a fantastic thing to do and it could mean life to someone else. Good Luck :D

Fluff
28-Oct-10, 20:31
Yes Angela, they have just brought in a new ruling, if it is successful etc.. after 2 years I will find out who they are and they will find out who I am. The 1st year is the crucial period.

In my mind, I signed up to the list with the unlikely possibility of being matched. Personally, I do not understand why someone would say no after signing up!

karia
28-Oct-10, 20:36
Fluff..utmost respect for the wonderful thing you are doing and for highlighting it again so we may help.

I am recovering from Cancer and can't wait until I can contribute once more.

Keep it strong. xx

George Brims
28-Oct-10, 21:51
Unfortunately I can't do this as guidelines in the US prohibit blood donation by those who lived in the UK during certain years. It's all to do with Mad Cow Disease. Managed to give quite a few pints when I lived in Scotland.

Wishing you and your recipient every success Fluff.

theone
28-Oct-10, 22:01
Well done you.

Something I don't do often enough.

I hope you get to meet the child recieving the marrow, I'm sure they will be eternally grateful and a friend for life.

Leanne
28-Oct-10, 22:04
That's brilliant news! Good for you :) Just a little bit of our time and we can save a life :)

sandyr1
28-Oct-10, 22:06
But as if you needed one!

Myself and my partner regularly give blood. During one of my sessions I saw a leaflet about the Anthony Nolan registrar. All that needed to be done was fill out a form and a couple of extra vials of blood would be taken.
This was roughly 4-5 years ago, I put it to the back of my mind.

About 1-2 months ago I received a text and email advising I have been preliminary matched with someone, would I like to continue? Of course I said yes!

Tomorrow morning I am donating bone marrow from my bone. I do not know who it is for, or where in the world they are. All I know is the recipient is a sick child.

There is a 90% success rate in children, it is a 20 minute procedure under a general anesthetic.

You just never know how you can help.

Pretty incredible thing to do! Well done.......

Kodiak
28-Oct-10, 22:13
Kodiak the Bear Bows Down in Deep Respect to you Fluff.

A better thing you could not do!!

http://i53.tinypic.com/2ag8chv.jpg

Kirdon
28-Oct-10, 23:01
well done and I wish you and the other person the best of luck, on the list myself and will gladly donate when called. Unfortunately not everyone will so anyone reading this post who could and is not on the list, get on it please it DOES SAVE LIVES. Once again WELL DONE FLUFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Foxy
28-Oct-10, 23:04
Well done Fluff, such a brilliant thing to do giving another person the chance at a longer life.

porshiepoo
29-Oct-10, 08:11
My daughter gave blood last week for the first time. Sh reacted badly afterwards but they looked after her and she'll be back to the next one.

I've often thought about giving blood but whenever I've had to give blood samples I've had to go to the hospital as it's impossible to get blood from me so I figure it could be a problem?

_Ju_
29-Oct-10, 10:08
My daughter gave blood last week for the first time. Sh reacted badly afterwards but they looked after her and she'll be back to the next one.

I've often thought about giving blood but whenever I've had to give blood samples I've had to go to the hospital as it's impossible to get blood from me so I figure it could be a problem?

It might not be, Porshie. The nurses at blood banks are pros' at hitting the target. Also the guage of the needle is different than that used for clinical samples, which would make it easier. Just try and maybe it will go well. If not, at least you tried.

GruesomeTwosome
29-Oct-10, 10:21
Hats off to you, it is such an important thing to just give blood if you can but to go that step further is amazing. I signed up many years ago but have never been contacted, I wouldnt hesitate to do it if called. You just never know when you might need something like that yourself.

I hope everything goes ok, I bet that childs family are over the moon right now.

Hoida
29-Oct-10, 12:57
Such a wonderful thing to do. Hope all goes well for you and for the recipient :)

Lavenderblue2
29-Oct-10, 13:39
Thinking of you today as you give one of the greatest gifts!

I have huge admiration for you, your mum told me that it will be quite a while before you learn about the outcome.

Bless you dear Fluff.

highlander
29-Oct-10, 16:20
just to let you know, fluff phoned this morning, all went well, but has been admitted into the hospital as she has low blood pressure, they will see how she is tomorrow, she told me it was for a young child and the child could be anywhere in the world but wont be told for 2 yrs if it was successful. well done my fluffy bunny we are so proud of you.

Corrie 3
29-Oct-10, 17:03
Well done Fluff, hope it wasnt too painful......Tis a wonderful thing you have done and I hope its a success!!

C3......:D

Fluff
30-Oct-10, 14:18
back at the hotel now. Totally knackered, but no pain what so ever! There has been a complication with the child, the blood will be frozen for a few days until it can be given.
I now have a lovly big steak in front of me, the op has made me anaemic so why not eh!

Porshie, I always struggle to give, doesn't seem to want to come out. During my blood tests the nurse discovered it is a directional thing, needle needs to be lifted, there is hope for you yet xx

Thank you all for your kind wishes

Ricco
30-Oct-10, 14:20
Porshie, I always struggle to give, doesn't seem to want to come out. During my blood tests the nurse discovered it is a directional thing, needle needs to be lifted, there is hope for you yet xx

I found that I always need to drink a pint or two of water at least half an hour before hand - then it races out!

Leanne
30-Oct-10, 16:51
I found that I always need to drink a pint or two of water at least half an hour before hand - then it races out!

If you have a bit of a run (or even a brisk walk) before going it bumps your blood pressure up temporarily and gets the blood flowing :)

karia
30-Oct-10, 18:08
Goos on ye!

Enjoy that steak.:)