PDA

View Full Version : Tesco Petrol Station

stiggy
27-Oct-10, 23:30
Have you seen there latest the Kiosk now shuts at 8pm, so you can only get Petrol from the first two pumps with a cash card after 8pm. Was in there tonight and two cars left with none as both people had cash and no debit card on them. Yet advertised in window on big poster to use you 5p off a litre in kiosk only between 6am and midnight.

Duncansby
27-Oct-10, 23:37
I don't believe it! How dare they close at 8pm - how did we cope before 24hr opening! :confused

sweetpea
27-Oct-10, 23:46
Have you seen there latest the Kiosk now shuts at 8pm, so you can only get Petrol from the first two pumps with a cash card after 8pm. Was in there tonight and two cars left with none as both people had cash and no debit card on them. Yet advertised in window on big poster to use you 5p off a litre in kiosk only between 6am and midnight.

I'd have thought most people would have a card these days. I'm the opposite I never have cash on me.

Bobinovich
28-Oct-10, 00:07
Was posted on Monday http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=125553

laguna2
28-Oct-10, 08:13

Would have been worse if the advert said you could only use the voucher between 6pm and midnight!

Corrie 3
28-Oct-10, 09:30
Its a cost cutting exercise, now that winter is upon us and all the tourists and motorhomes have gone its not worth them opening up till midnight is it?
Cant blame them can you, at least "Every little helps" to keep the cost of their fuel down.

C3....:D

bekisman
28-Oct-10, 09:41
Anyone any idea what times the other fuel outlets close, say on a Sunday? ;)

bridgeend
28-Oct-10, 10:02
According to Tesco customer service the Petrol Pumps are manned between 07.00 and 20.00 daily outwith these times it is Pay at the Pump only.
There are plans to make it Pay at the Pump only all the time and do away with the petrol station shop.This is happening with stores in the south already.
Makes sence it cuts costs less staff etc.

The Angel Of Death
28-Oct-10, 10:43
Fair enough closing early but i think the place should be open till at least 10 at night instead of 8

Kodiak
28-Oct-10, 11:05
According to Tesco customer service the Petrol Pumps are manned between 07.00 and 20.00 daily outwith these times it is Pay at the Pump only.
There are plans to make it Pay at the Pump only all the time and do away with the petrol station shop.This is happening with stores in the south already.
Makes sence it cuts costs less staff etc.

If this does happen and they make it Pay at Pump only then I would not be able to buy fuel from them at all. I have no Credit Card or Debit Card so I can not use these types of Pump.

I am sure there are many people like me out there and if this is implemented, it will cost Tesco more money than it saves.

bridgeend
28-Oct-10, 11:08
If this does happen and they make it Pay at Pump only then I would not be able to buy fuel from them at all. I have no Credit Card or Debit Card so I can not use these types of Pump.

I am sure there are many people like me out there and if this is implemented, it will cost Tesco more money than it saves.

Well there is plenty of places still open in Thurso that take cash

changilass
28-Oct-10, 11:16
Where do you get your information that they are planning on making it totally unmanned?

Kodiak
28-Oct-10, 11:21

Yes there are and all of them cost far more than what it would if I filled up at Tesco, especially with an extra 5p off per Litre when the offer is on.

Thinking on that just how would Tesco give the Extra 5p off per Litre when you spend £50. They couldn't, so does that mean that they intend to stop this promotion altogether?

If they intend to keep this promotion then they would have to have the station open to accept the 5p off coupons.

laguna2
28-Oct-10, 11:28
Yes there are and all of them cost far more than what it would if I filled up at Tesco, especially with an extra 5p off per Litre when the offer is on.

Thinking on that just how would Tesco give the Extra 5p off per Litre when you spend £50. They couldn't, so does that mean that they intend to stop this promotion altogether?

If they intend to keep this promotion then they would have to have the station open to accept the 5p off coupons.

Our Tesco (which is a very big one) gives out the 5p off voucher - but does not have petrol pumps! The neaest Tesco pumps are just too far away to make it worth it for us!

bridgeend
28-Oct-10, 11:50
Where do you get your information that they are planning on making it totally unmanned?

Chap on Tesco customer service desk in Wick this morning.

changilass
28-Oct-10, 11:53
Seems strange that they would tell a customer before advising their staff.[disgust]

Kodiak
28-Oct-10, 11:54
Our Tesco (which is a very big one) gives out the 5p off voucher - but does not have petrol pumps! The neaest Tesco pumps are just too far away to make it worth it for us!

All Tesco's give out the 5p off voucher for Fuel when you spend £50 when that promotion is on, whether that store has a fuel staion or not. Our local Tesco in Thurso has no fuel station, just the same as you and we drive through to Wick, which does have a Fuel Station.

My question was this :-

If all Tesco Fuel Stations were to go to Pay at Pump Only then how could they give their customers the 5p off per litre when the promotion is running. They could not.

So either they will have to keep the sation open during the day or they will have to stop the promotion altogether.

Scarybiscuits03
28-Oct-10, 12:03
All Tesco's give out the 5p off voucher for Fuel when you spend £50 when that promotion is on, whether that store has a fuel staion or not. Our local Tesco in Thurso has no fuel station, just the same as you and we drive through to Wick, which does have a Fuel Station.

My question was this :-

If all Tesco Fuel Stations were to go to Pay at Pump Only then how could they give their customers the 5p off per litre when the promotion is running. They could not.

So either they will have to keep the sation open during the day or they will have to stop the promotion altogether.

Do you not have to swipe your clubcard when you buy petrol from Tesco? Id imagine they would be able to attach the offer to that in some way when you spend more than £50 in store they would swipe your card activating the offer lasting 30 days or so perhaps??....There is always a way!

Kodiak
28-Oct-10, 12:06

Just a thought bridgeend since it looks like you want to stir things up with Tesco and their Petrol Station.

Could there be a clue in your name, ie bridgeend and the Petrol Station in Thurso called Bridge End Station. :roll:

Scarybiscuits03
28-Oct-10, 12:09
Just a thought bridgeend since it looks like you want to stir things up with Tesco and their Petrol Station.

Could there be a clue in your name, ie bridgeend and the Petrol Station in Thurso called Bridge End Station. :roll:

ha ha you mean the most expensive filling station in town![lol]

orkneycadian
28-Oct-10, 12:11
Better get used to it! Once Tesco eliminate their competition (fuel, food, etc) they will be able to do whatever they like!

bridgeend
28-Oct-10, 12:12
ha ha you mean the most expensive filling station in town![lol]

Stirring nothing up just repeating what was told to me and my husband this morning.
Bridgend filling station is not the dearest in town look at pennyland

Scarybiscuits03
28-Oct-10, 12:16
Stirring nothing up just repeating what was told to me and my husband this morning.
Bridgend filling station is not the dearest in town look at pennyland

Wow you're right - but I have to say thats the first time I've ever seen it that way! Think I'll stick with the cheapest which is neither!!!![lol]

bekisman
28-Oct-10, 14:24
Better get used to it! Once Tesco eliminate their competition (fuel, food, etc) they will be able to do whatever they like!
Think I've asked this before, but could you list the places this has actually happened?

bridgeend
28-Oct-10, 14:48
Think I've asked this before, but could you list the places this has actually happened?

Bekisman do you have shares in Tesco you will hear no wrong about them from your postings.?

changilass
28-Oct-10, 14:53
If folks don't give Tesco their business then Tesco cannot possible take over.

If they do then all the blame can hardly be placed at Tesco's doors even if they do take over.

P.S I cashed in my shares nearly 10yrs ago

bekisman
28-Oct-10, 17:20
Bekisman do you have shares in Tesco you will hear no wrong about them from your postings.?
Nah, no shares, but I do support any company that comes to the Far North and gets some of the shops out of the dark ages..

Oh and have a look through my postings ref Tesco (cos I don't think you did your research) ;)

unicorn
28-Oct-10, 17:37

State the obvious :roll:
Even if they are does it make what they say any less valid?
oes it make them have any less right to a say on any matter relating to fuel on a public forum?
I would not think so.
Rumour and wild speculation have always had their place on the org.

changilass
28-Oct-10, 18:05
.... and thats just what it is according to folks as work there ... rumour and speculation.

unicorn
28-Oct-10, 18:16
I notice it is a very common thing with Asda though, no shop, just pay at the pump.

changilass
28-Oct-10, 18:24
True Unicorn, Tesco seemingly one man it during the day with just a window and no shop.

Shame as it seems a waste of a relatively new building.

orkneycadian
28-Oct-10, 19:55

Wick, in part I believe....

Was there no a Gleaner place on George Street that is no longer, and now is Tesco not telling you when, and how, you can buy your fuel?

OK, so the takeover is not yet complete, but its a coming....

bekisman
28-Oct-10, 20:14
Wick, in part I believe....

Was there no a Gleaner place on George Street that is no longer, and now is Tesco not telling you when, and how, you can buy your fuel?

OK, so the takeover is not yet complete, but its a coming....
Eh? Strathy had a fuel station, no longer there, hmm must be Tesco...

bridgeend
28-Oct-10, 20:18

Too True and you will see it in Orkney too very soon now that Tesco have opened there superstore in kirkwall.
According to the Orcadian (28/Aug/2010) there have been 18000 people in it for the first week of trading.
This is bound to damage the trade of the other shops and slowly tesco will drive them out and bang up the prices go.

neilsermk1
28-Oct-10, 20:52
Guess the honeymoon period is over.
Time to get ASDA up over the Ord to keep these gits honest.

unicorn
28-Oct-10, 21:00
Sadly our councillors blew that for us :roll:

ducati
28-Oct-10, 21:14
Actually I was in Wick at the weekend shopping in various places (including Tesco) and I noticed there seemed to be less empty shops. Obviously I don't live in Wick so don't notice a day by day difference. I used to work in Wick about 12 months or so ago and then, every other shop seemed empty.

So (he says rambling on) it seems there is a resurgence in retail despite Tesco, gets there in the end (sorry I have a cold, difficult to concentrate). :lol:

bekisman
28-Oct-10, 21:23
Too True and you will see it in Orkney too very soon now that Tesco have opened there superstore in kirkwall.
According to the Orcadian (28/Aug/2010) there have been 18000 people in it for the first week of trading.
This is bound to damage the trade of the other shops and slowly tesco will drive them out and bang up the prices go.
"back up the prices go" not sure where you get this idea, travelled quite a bit, ain't come across this yet - and not only with Tesco, but in places where ASDA is the main store..
Oh yes, it was asked earlier are you anything to do with Bridgend filling station?

theone
28-Oct-10, 21:33

I think the statistic you've quoted proves a valuable point.

People aren't forced to shop eleswhere, they chose to.

Yes, it will damage the trade of some shopkeepers, but thats the essence of competition. The days of local businesses scratching each other backs, such as the 'amazing every petrol station in Thurso having exactly the same prices' saga will be gone.

The benefit will be to the people who have greater choice, at less cost, in one place. If they don't like it, Tesco will fail and leave. I doubt that will happen.

HOWEVER:

I do worry about Tesco getting total control of areas. That is why I would like to see an ASDA in the county, just to keep the competition real. Small retailers might not be able to compete against Tesco, but ASDA can.

I think a lot of the anti-Tesco thought people have aren't actually anti-tesco at all, but anti-supermarket. Well sorry, but the retail industry is changing and supemarkets are the future, because they are successful in the present.

If anything this is a real opportunity for small businesses to find a niche in the market and excel at it. Butchers can do it, so can others.

I don't want to see a high street empty, but maybe we have to accept the change. I won't, however, feel any sympathy for the local retailers living in quarter of a million pound houses and pleading poverty after making huge profits from us for years when there was no competition.

bridgeend
28-Oct-10, 21:56
I think it will be a while before we see a asda in Caithness.
Our local councillors seen to that.
If it was not for some nimbys and our cllr smith asda would of been here and opened now.
The prices in tesco are going up all the time and only the likes of Asda can stop this.
This is why tesco are hoping to block Asda in Tain with there Bully boy tatics,
mark my words when tesco open in Tain there will be at least two petrol filling stations closing.
Tesco can buy the fuel a lot cheaper that the small man can and when they have all closed BANG up goes the price.

theone
28-Oct-10, 22:15
If it was not for some nimbys and our cllr smith asda would of been here and opened now.
The prices in tesco are going up all the time and only the likes of Asda can stop this.
mark my words when tesco open in Tain there will be at least two petrol filling stations closing.
Tesco can buy the fuel a lot cheaper that the small man can and when they have all closed BANG up goes the price.

I agree. And that is why we need competition.

If Tesco have to fight with ASDA, or anyone else, for customers then the customers will benefit. This can only be a benefit to the community.

changilass
28-Oct-10, 22:40
Hehe, if we are spending less on the essentials we will have more left to spend on the little luxuries that the other shops sell.

theone
28-Oct-10, 22:50
Hehe, if we are spending less on the essentials we will have more left to spend on the little luxuries that the other shops sell.

Exactly.

If the local shops expand and commit to luxury or niche markets like this then they will flourish.

Don't try to compete with the big boys, benefit from their failings.

bekisman
28-Oct-10, 22:54
Here we go again Face facts; Tesco (for all it's faults) has been instrumental in bringing down the cost of fuel in Wick, And when Tesco, Thurso, comes on line the fuel there will be reasonable too. Were YOU here in 2004? "In February 2004, the average price of unleaded petrol was 76.88p per litre. The cheapest was to be found in Thanet, Kent, at an average price of 70.80p, while the most expensive was Thurso in Caithness at an average price of 85.90p." And in 2005 "all the garages [Thurso] charged the same price which was 12p per litre above Inverness prices".

theone
28-Oct-10, 23:14
Here we go again Face facts; Tesco (for all it's faults) has been instrumental in bringing down the cost of fuel in Wick, And when Tesco, Thurso, comes on line the fuel there will be reasonable too. Were YOU here in 2004? "In February 2004, the average price of unleaded petrol was 76.88p per litre. The cheapest was to be found in Thanet, Kent, at an average price of 70.80p, while the most expensive was Thurso in Caithness at an average price of 85.90p." And in 2005 "all the garages [Thurso] charged the same price which was 12p per litre above Inverness prices".

Good to see statistics and facts.

I can't get passionate about the fuel price. 10p a litre would maybe cost me a tenner a month, not enough to miss compared to my other outgoings.

But your post does highlight the fact that ALL garages in Thurso had the same price. This, to me, is proof of local businessmen ripping the eyes out of the locals. Instead of competing for trade, they agreed to fix prices to maximise their own profits.

If anyone thinks that this level of local agreement between retailers is limited to those involved in fuel, then they are seriously deluded.

I notice that pennyland filling station is still open, and that the house above HBOS in Thurso, with the same owner, is still for sale at £330,000. The highest asking price currently for any house in Caithness.

Does anyone really believe that the petrol retailers in THURSO are really struggling??

Does anyone really believe we haven't been ripped off for years?

Does anyone believe that these people are "giving anything to the county" other than paying teenagers minimum wage (or less)?

When the ASDA planning permission was sought there was a number of of objections to the development, many with the surname COX, and with addresses in, I think, Tain.

I would never dream of writing a letter against a planning application in a town 90 miles away, but then again, I'm not selling a house worth a 3rd of a million bought with money "earned" there.

rumpelstiltskin
29-Oct-10, 05:42
Eh? Strathy had a fuel station, no longer there, hmm must be Tesco...
When did Strathy have a fuel station?

bekisman
29-Oct-10, 10:11
When did Strathy have a fuel station?
It's on the A836 going west on the left at Baligill - the vent pipes were still there 20 years ago, now just concrete slab.. There's another in Brora; Yellow one on the left going south - must be 1950's?, did not really think that Tesco's influence extended that far? ;)

Haitch
29-Oct-10, 11:06

I doubt that. I think you are the only person over the age of 16 that I have ever heard that does not have a bank card.

Kodiak
29-Oct-10, 12:18
I doubt that. I think you are the only person over the age of 16 that I have ever heard that does not have a bank card.

Why do you think that everyone has a Bank Card. I do NOT have one. The only Account I have is the Post Office one where I get my Pension Paid into.

You can Not Pay Money into this Account, You Can Not Do Standing Orders, Direct Debits or withdraw any money except from the Post Office. It is NOT a Debit Card and can not be used for anything except withdrawal of your Pension from the Post Office.

I repeat I have NO Credit Card or Debit Card and I know of quite a few people in the same situation as me. Not everyone has a Bank Account and I do not appreciate being called a liar on a public forum.

Gronnuck
29-Oct-10, 12:51

Haitch you really should get out more. I know quite a few people who don't have bank cards.

Corrie 3
29-Oct-10, 13:04
And when I go through Portgower and onto Brora the two petrol stations in Brora are always exactly the same price.....and very high prices as well.

C3....:eek:

ducati
29-Oct-10, 14:37
And when I go through Portgower and onto Brora the two petrol stations in Brora are always exactly the same price.....and very high prices as well.

C3....:eek:

I wonder how well a petrol station in Portgower would do? Maybe it would make more tourists stop there :eek:

bekisman
29-Oct-10, 14:45
I wonder how well a petrol station in Portgower would do? Maybe it would make more tourists stop there :eek:
But they would never been seen again...

bekisman
29-Oct-10, 14:47
Haitch you really should get out more. I know quite a few people who don't have bank cards.
What about top up credit cards. Making it a safe alternative if you do not wish to use you debit card or credit card (or don't have one) very useful for booking hire cars or flights - and safe...

bekisman
29-Oct-10, 14:52
Good to see statistics and facts.

I can't get passionate about the fuel price. 10p a litre would maybe cost me a tenner a month, not enough to miss compared to my other outgoings.

But your post does highlight the fact that ALL garages in Thurso had the same price. This, to me, is proof of local businessmen ripping the eyes out of the locals. Instead of competing for trade, they agreed to fix prices to maximise their own profits.

If anyone thinks that this level of local agreement between retailers is limited to those involved in fuel, then they are seriously deluded.

I notice that pennyland filling station is still open, and that the house above HBOS in Thurso, with the same owner, is still for sale at £330,000. The highest asking price currently for any house in Caithness.

Does anyone really believe that the petrol retailers in THURSO are really struggling??

Does anyone really believe we haven't been ripped off for years?

Does anyone believe that these people are "giving anything to the county" other than paying teenagers minimum wage (or less)?

When the ASDA planning permission was sought there was a number of of objections to the development, many with the surname COX, and with addresses in, I think, Tain.

I would never dream of writing a letter against a planning application in a town 90 miles away, but then again, I'm not selling a house worth a 3rd of a million bought with money "earned" there.

Fully agree, but it's not the money, it's the fact I dont like subsidising the pockets of those that ripped us off for decades - Mrs Beks and I once spoke to a fuel outlet owner near Wick, and he told us he would be shortly putting up his price for fuel, as it was the 'tourist season' - I kid you not..

orkneycadian
30-Oct-10, 09:45
And of course Tesco would never dream of doing anything like that?

One of many links on the subject I could have posted... (http://www.just-food.com/news/tesco-accused-of-half-price-offer-scam_id97723.aspx)
:roll:

changilass
30-Oct-10, 18:50
Notice on window at Tesco petrol station today.

Pay at pump will be unavailable between 00.15 and 04.00, something to do with the clocks changing, so no fuel at all available during these times.

changilass
30-Oct-10, 19:17
Folks were complaining that they didn't know it was pay at pump only after 8pm, I was only trying to be helpful, no need for your sarcasm.

PeterR
01-Nov-10, 13:54
I heard (at second hand, supposedly from people working for Tesco in Tain) that Tesco's recent legal objection to Asda had been thrown out. But evidently this is not (yet) fact, as I just rang the Court of Session and apparently the case is now "avizandum" (Judge is deliberating on his decision). A similar case in Dundee took about 3 months from the case being heard till the decision was published, so that would be about January by my reckoning.

2little2late
01-Nov-10, 22:01
And if it wasn't for Tesco coming to Wick in the first place we would probably be paying about £1.25-£1.30 per litre of fuel. For pity's sake you lot, get real! It's about time Caithness moved with the times. Stop your flipping' complaining and get on with your lives. You really are a sad lot if this is what you feel is a legitimate complaint. Hey, wonder what you would all be complaining about if Tesco weren't here? I'll bet all these people who are complaining about Tesco still do their shopping there. You are all a bunch of hypocrites. This is 2010 not 1910.

ah_hasda
02-Nov-10, 14:14
how dare Tesco offer a service no 1 esle in the county can offer, how very well dare they!

Corrie 3
02-Nov-10, 15:12
Whilst ever their fuel is 4-5p a litre cheaper than the oppostion then I will always buy mine there...Well done yet again Tesco, I just luv yer!!!!

C3.....:D

Kodiak
02-Nov-10, 19:12
I filled up with Diesel at Tesco this afternoon. I paid 116.9p per litre. I checked at Dunnets in Thurso before I left and they were Charging 125.9p per Litre. No wonder I drive though to Wick for my Fuel.