PDA

View Full Version : Halloween?

floyed
27-Oct-10, 18:22
What night do the bairns go round the doors?? Thanks:D

mums angels
27-Oct-10, 18:27
after speaking to some mums from the school and toddler group etc it seems to me its the Saturday night .
There is a thread on here already refering to it

http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=124879

floyed
27-Oct-10, 18:29
Thank you didn't see it:-)

sweetpea
27-Oct-10, 23:52
If I remember right it's Saturday cos it's All Hallows and Sunday is All Saints or something like that? Going by what I did when I was a bairn, many moons ago, it would be Saturday.

orkneycadian
28-Oct-10, 11:34
I understand that this year, Halloween falls yet again on All Hallows Eve, that is, the day before All Hallows or All Saints Day. All Hallows/Saints is as ingrained onto the 1st of November as Christmas Day is onto the 25th of December, so Halloween will therefore be on the 31st of October as always, or put another way, Sunday! :-)

rob1
28-Oct-10, 12:15
On a different note do we do 'trick or treating' or guising?

orkneycadian
28-Oct-10, 12:27
Best reward for anyone that comes Trick or Treating is a dime, or if you are feeling generous, a quarter, from that pile of change you brought back from the USA but was not worth exchanging for Sterling!

jaykay
28-Oct-10, 12:37
On a different note do we do 'trick or treating' or guising?

If you live in In Scotland it is guising.
Trick or treat is an American thing.

Scarybiscuits03
28-Oct-10, 12:41
If you live in In Scotland it is guising.
Trick or treat is an American thing.

So what should kids say when they go to the doors if they can't say "trick or treat" "Guise!" Doesna exactly have the same ring to it!

My kid will be saying trick or treat as she has been brought up with the Disney channel so everything is American!!![lol]

golach
28-Oct-10, 12:49
So what should kids say when they go to the doors if they can't say "trick or treat" "Guise!" Doesna exactly have the same ring to it!

My kid will be saying trick or treat as she has been brought up with the Disney channel so everything is American!!![lol]

Traditionally in my day, we knocked on the door, and when the door opened we sang
'Please help the guisers, and we'll sing you a Bonnie wee song.' far nicer than shouting Trick or Treat, Guisers I give to, trick or treaters get the door shut on them.

Scarybiscuits03
28-Oct-10, 12:54
Traditionally in my day, we knocked on the door, and when the door opened we sang
'Please help the guisers, and we'll sing you a Bonnie wee song.' far nicer than shouting Trick or Treat, Guisers I give to, trick or treaters get the door shut on them.

Thats not very nice on the poor little kids.
Children nowadays have cartoons that are all very American, they don't know any better.........

golach
28-Oct-10, 12:56
Thats not very nice on the poor little kids.
Children nowadays have cartoons that are all very American, they don't know any better.........

Then the parents have not bothered to bring them up to respect their traditional Scottish Heritage, sad really [disgust]

Scarybiscuits03
28-Oct-10, 12:59
Then the parents have not bothered to bring them up to respect their traditional Scottish Heritage, sad really [disgust]

Lol, I was waiting for that - if you say so! :D

Alan16
28-Oct-10, 13:04

What, you like to dress up your kids in kilts and have them march on London? ME TO!!!

golach
28-Oct-10, 13:10
What, you like to dress up your kids in kilts and have them march on London? ME TO!!!
Ach grow up, alan16, have you not learnt anything at Uni in Edinburgh, the subject is Guisers as well you know, so be off with you, and dont come round my street trick or treating [disgust]

Alan16
28-Oct-10, 13:17
Ach grow up, alan16, have you not learnt anything at Uni in Edinburgh, the subject is Guisers as well you know, so be off with you, and dont come round my street trick or treating [disgust]

The thread may well be about guising, but you don't get to make some sweeping statement then point back to the original thread subject because somebody mocks/disagrees with your statement. I'm also amused, or perhaps bemused, by the fact that you tell me to grow up, make some point about how I should have "learnt" something at uni, yet in the same sentence you seem to insinuate that I should be going out guising - an activity normally reserved for young children.

Although I must say I'm impressed by the fact that you seem to have some recollection of me when I haven't posted here in a few months before now. I'm touched.

golach
29-Oct-10, 19:23
Just found this guising song from Old Edinburgh

We are the guisers at the door
If you dinna let us in, we will bash yur windies in,
And you'll never see the guisers any more. [lol]

brandy
30-Oct-10, 05:30
well ive always said trick or treat.. but i am one of those evil americans after all.. ahh bless glad to feel so welcomed.