PDA

View Full Version : At last; Pentland firth energy

bekisman
27-Oct-10, 17:48
This is the way to go, stop despoiling the land and making landowners rich..

A huge tidal project is set to be developed in the Pentland Firth after the rights to the site were awarded to a consortium by the Crown Estate.
It has described the Inner Sound, which lies between the Caithness coast and island of Stroma, as one of the Firth's "most energetic" tidal areas.
The scheme could involve up to 400 submerged turbines, generating enough energy to power 400,000 homes.

A 25-year operational lease for the site was awarded to MeyGen.
It is a joint venture between tidal technology provider Atlantis Resources Corporation, International Power and investment bank Morgan Stanley.

The award of the lease comes after two years of feasibility work in the waters of the Pentland Firth.

Subject to planning consent, the consortium plans to install hundreds of turbines in the Inner Sound area.

Construction is expected to take place on a phased basis until 2020.
The project will be one of the biggest in the world, with the potential to generate up to 400MW of power.
The scheme is part of efforts to develop the Pentland Firth and waters surrounding the Orkney Islands in the largest planned wave and tidal generating programme in the world.

Earlier this year, areas in the Pentland Firth and around Orkney were leased to seven companies, which aim to generate enough electricity to supply 750,000 homes by 2020 from a range of wave and tidal devices.
Dan Pearson, chief executive of MeyGen, said: "The MeyGen project will be seen as a flagship marine power project.

"In cooperation with the local community, the Crown Estate and all levels of government, we are committed to making tidal power a success not only for our shareholders, but for Scotland as well."

John Thurso, Lib Dem MP for Caithness, Sutherland and Easter Ross, said: "Caithness and surrounding regions have a real opportunity to lead an international revolution in energy, by building a world-beating marine power industry."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-11636959

rupert
27-Oct-10, 18:36
Couldn't agree with you more. There is absolutely no need to approve anymore onshore windfarms in Caithness with all thats about to happen with marine energy and also offshore wind. (Not that I'm a great fan of offshore wind turbines).

We have enough windfarms already.

Kenn
27-Oct-10, 19:29
Not before time, this has been mooted for many years so here's hoping this time there will be some serious progress.

marwill
27-Oct-10, 20:00
Have to agree with all that has been said, the powers that be seem to have been over generous to landowners who have been very willing to have these windturbines on their land, but its very noticable that they are not in their 'back garden' as it appears some have been very close the neighbours back garden, as with the one recently proposed at Smerrel.
The tide and waves are far more reliable too than the wind, as you see so many of the windturbines turned off, sometimes for days at a time. Lets not see any more of the beautiful Scottish landscape spoilt with these turbines.;)

Gronnuck
27-Oct-10, 20:24
Tidal and wave power is all very well but where is it going to come ashore? Does that mean there's going to be huge pylons from Gills Bay to somewhere south of Thurso? :confused

Green_not_greed
27-Oct-10, 21:32
In formal business forums on this I have been saying for years that the whole thing is not thought through and that Scottish Government need to employ a professional utilities company to evaluate what is required and how to get there.

At present this is typical "Salmond" politics to grab a good soundbite and work it to death without thinking it through. Yes - we CAN be the "Saudi of the north" but we need investment in infrastructure to make it happen.

Its a lot more that getting the power south - or to large scale (new) power industries in Caithness. That is already under consideration, but that's as far as its got.

The whole situation has not been properly considered. How to get devices to Caithness (road? rail? ship?). How to launch them (ports and harbours?). How to monitor devices at sea (divers and engineering support?). How to service and maintain them (engineering support?) How to get the energy produced into the grid? All this needs a strategy and implementation. A lot of infrastructure may need updated to realise the Pentland Firth Opportunities.

The above is CRUCIAL to development of new businesses and skills in the county, and yet its been put aside. Crown Estate, Caithness/North Sutherland Renewable Partnerships (or whatever they're called these days), HIE, etc all remain involved but all are quangos desperate to hold onto their own jobs at a huge cost to the taxpayer. They appear completely reluctant to bring in a professional private company to deal with this in a professional basis rather than second-guessing through a bunch of amateurs.

I believe that its time to deal with this properly, and fear that it we don't, it will be yet another missed opportunity.

I fully acknowledge that independent bodies (eg Scrabster Harbour Trust and most of the Orkney Harbour Trusts) are making inroads to support the opportunities, but they are un-coordinated and need an overview from a professional utilities company guidance and strategy.

GNG

bekisman
28-Oct-10, 09:40
Another one bites the dust.. Sorry it's a copy from the BBC,but some foks can't open Links..

Kintyre Wind Farm Company in Financial crisis

The future of a wind turbine manufacturer which received millions of pounds from the Scottish government to safeguard jobs is in doubt. The Danish company Skykon, which took over the Vestas wind turbine factory in Kintyre last year, has announced it is suspending payments to its creditors.
A total of 120 people are employed at the site just outside Campbeltown.
In a statement Skykon said the company was in a very "cash-strapped situation."

The announcement will come as a blow to First Minister Alex Salmond who went to Kintyre last summer to announce the deal.
The Scottish government agreed £9.2m worth of financial backing for Skykon which was intended to safeguard 100 jobs at the factory and create 300 more.
However so far only £2.4m has been paid out since the money was being delivered in instalments with each batch dependent on Skykon fulfilling a number of conditions.
A Scottish government spokesman said: "We have been in contact with Skykon and are assured that the company is seeking a solution to its immediate financial position.
"Scottish Development International is in ongoing dialogue with the company and will continue to offer every assistance in achieving a positive outcome.
"It is clear to us that the Campbeltown base and its staff have an important role to play in ensuring Scotland continues to lead the development of clean, green energy technology and building a low carbon economy."
Meanwhile, Danish firm Vestas, the world's largest wind turbine manufacturer, said it would axe 3,000 jobs and shut some plants to adjust to weaker demand.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-11626680

_Ju_
28-Oct-10, 10:19
I tell you what really confuses me: when there is a thread on renewables, there is a very large NIMBY-esque response. Yet NIMBY-ism has always been very muted in reponse to nuclear energy. I just do not get it!?

Fingers crossed this tidal project gets going very quickly. And that it provides a boost to the local economy both sides of the Pentland Firth!

orkneycadian
28-Oct-10, 11:47
Couldn't agree with you more. There is absolutely no need to approve anymore onshore windfarms in Caithness with all thats about to happen with marine energy and also offshore wind. (Not that I'm a great fan of offshore wind turbines).

We have enough windfarms already.

Aye, and you'll need them all, plus more besides to bridge the gap between tidal powers present, highly R&D state and the commercial vision mentioned above! Theres at least the 20 year lifespan of a windfarm between now and then!

bekisman
28-Oct-10, 14:26
I tell you what really confuses me: when there is a thread on renewables, there is a very large NIMBY-esque response. Yet NIMBY-ism has always been very muted in reponse to nuclear energy. I just do not get it!?

Fingers crossed this tidal project gets going very quickly. And that it provides a boost to the local economy both sides of the Pentland Firth!
Nuclear Energy? Bring it on!

scotsboy
28-Oct-10, 14:53

Its even being considered in the oil rich Middle East.

Ricco
28-Oct-10, 15:06
Excellent - every little bit helps. :D

rupert
28-Oct-10, 17:33
Aye, and you'll need them all, plus more besides to bridge the gap between tidal powers present, highly R&D state and the commercial vision mentioned above! Theres at least the 20 year lifespan of a windfarm between now and then!

I'm afraid I disagree completely with you on this orkneycadian. If you read the article I'm sure it says that the 400 are to be up and running before 20 years time. Also, offshore wind projects are motoring along quite nicely plus there are all the other onshore wind projects that have already been given approval but are at various stages of development, including a number in Caithness I might add.

If you look at the BWEA website it will give you a comprehensive and up to date list of all onshore and offshore wind farms in the pipeline, its a staggering amount.

I repeat, Caithness does not need any more onshore wind farms.

ducati
28-Oct-10, 18:26
Another one bites the dust.. Sorry it's a copy from the BBC,but some foks can't open Links..

Kintyre Wind Farm Company in Financial crisis

The future of a wind turbine manufacturer which received millions of pounds from the Scottish government to safeguard jobs is in doubt. The Danish company Skykon, which took over the Vestas wind turbine factory in Kintyre last year, has announced it is suspending payments to its creditors.
A total of 120 people are employed at the site just outside Campbeltown.
In a statement Skykon said the company was in a very "cash-strapped situation."

The announcement will come as a blow to First Minister Alex Salmond who went to Kintyre last summer to announce the deal.
The Scottish government agreed £9.2m worth of financial backing for Skykon which was intended to safeguard 100 jobs at the factory and create 300 more.
However so far only £2.4m has been paid out since the money was being delivered in instalments with each batch dependent on Skykon fulfilling a number of conditions.
A Scottish government spokesman said: "We have been in contact with Skykon and are assured that the company is seeking a solution to its immediate financial position.
"Scottish Development International is in ongoing dialogue with the company and will continue to offer every assistance in achieving a positive outcome.
"It is clear to us that the Campbeltown base and its staff have an important role to play in ensuring Scotland continues to lead the development of clean, green energy technology and building a low carbon economy."
Meanwhile, Danish firm Vestas, the world's largest wind turbine manufacturer, said it would axe 3,000 jobs and shut some plants to adjust to weaker demand.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-11626680

Aren't Vestas the ones that built the place with gerzillions of Scottish development £s then moved the whole sherbang to Southhampton and made everyone redundant. Or not? :eek:

orkneycadian
28-Oct-10, 19:49
I'm afraid I disagree completely with you on this orkneycadian. If you read the article I'm sure it says that the 400 are to be up and running before 20 years time.

Teensy little bit to go then....

Tidal turbine blades to be replaced
Testing of the world’s largest and most powerful tidal turbine, recently installed in Orkney waters, has been delayed due to faults with the machine’s blades.

The Atlantis Resources Corporation’s AK1000 test turbine was installed in 35 metres of water at the European Marine Energy Centre over seven days in August.

In a statement on Thursday, the company announced testing would be delayed due to a manufacturing fault with the blades, which meant they had to be replaced.

A spokesman said: “the AK1000 has not yet been connected to the grid or spun, and there will be a temporary delay in the testing programme while a set of replacement blades are manufactured

From here (http://www.orcadian.co.uk/archive/2010/archive41.html)....

tonkatojo
28-Oct-10, 20:00
Aren't Vestas the ones that built the place with gerzillions of Scottish development £s then moved the whole sherbang to Southhampton and made everyone redundant. Or not? :eek:

Nah those are the early versions of your put-put arn't they ?. ;)

bekisman
28-Oct-10, 20:12
No, really!? ;)

_Ju_
29-Oct-10, 08:07

Really? Me, I am far happier with the half life of concrete feet for wind turbines and their clean up cost than I am with the half life of nuclear waste and the clean up costs of the premises, never mind the costs of the spilages. But that is just me.

bekisman
29-Oct-10, 10:14
Really? Me, I am far happier with the half life of concrete feet for wind turbines and their clean up cost than I am with the half life of nuclear waste and the clean up costs of the premises, never mind the costs of the spilages. But that is just me.

A nuclear nimby?

bekisman
29-Oct-10, 10:36
Have to agree with all that has been said, the powers that be seem to have been over generous to landowners who have been very willing to have these windturbines on their land, but its very noticable that they are not in their 'back garden' as it appears some have been very close the neighbours back garden, as with the one recently proposed at Smerrel.
The tide and waves are far more reliable too than the wind, as you see so many of the windturbines turned off, sometimes for days at a time. Lets not see any more of the beautiful Scottish landscape spoilt with these turbines.;)
Well said Marwill, seems 600 metres is perfectly OK to have these part-time, money in farmers pockets, energy expensive ROC's, eyesore, no power station closes down 'things' - oh and the personal blight on PEOPLE

veekay
29-Oct-10, 11:12
I expect it is me ( it usually is) but it seems that everything about where our energy is going to come whether renewable - wind power or tidal - nuclear, buying it from whom so ever can supply it, is a case of lets rush in. there doesn't seem to be a planned approach just a case of who can jump on which bandwagon and which of these are the 'in bandwagon' to be jumping on. Surely with the seriousness of global warming and the energy situation someone out there should be saying lets look at it all and see which is best suited to which situation.

_Ju_
29-Oct-10, 12:03
A nuclear nimby?

Oh yes! A nimby that would prefer in this case her back yard to be considered the planet. It is only my opinion though.

rupert
29-Oct-10, 17:09

It probably comes from the fact that in Caithness there are many people who will be severly effected should all of the proposed wind farms get the go-ahead. There's obviously a lot of anger simmering out there.

I do find the term 'nimby' insulting though (and it has been used by some developers as a veiled insult to opponents) as I consider that large onshore windfarms should not be in anyone's backyard.

Regarding nuclear, I have no problems with it. If there's one place in Britain that would have accepted a new nuclear power station without any problems its probably Caithness. But that crowd down in Holyrood have put paid to that possibility (at least while they still rule the roost). Roll on next May's election.

scotsboy
29-Oct-10, 17:40
Surely the main point about wind power is that it actually needs to be in your back yard.

bekisman
29-Oct-10, 18:34
Surely the main point about wind power is that it actually needs to be in your back yard.
Or out at sea?

rupert
30-Oct-10, 17:45
When I say anyones back yard, I mean literally close to people's homes. No need for that at all. There should be a minimum setback distance from houses that everyone has to stick to. At the moment its a free for all. Got a bit of land, stick as many turbines on it as possible and to hell with who has to live next to them, cos most of the time it isnt the developer.

Fisherbigin
31-Oct-10, 22:16
400 submerged turbines in the inner soond o' the Firth!! Well theres a thing!!!!!!!. :roll: :confused

scotsboy
01-Nov-10, 00:19
When I say anyones back yard, I mean literally close to people's homes. No need for that at all. There should be a minimum setback distance from houses that everyone has to stick to. At the moment its a free for all. Got a bit of land, stick as many turbines on it as possible and to hell with who has to live next to them, cos most of the time it isnt the developer.

I don't live in Caithness anymore, and I am not really up on the ins/outs of the developments..............but I actually quite like them.

scotsboy
01-Nov-10, 00:22
Or out at sea?

Close to the customer was the point I was trying to make. Not sure why, but I find them more offensive offshore than onshore.............but either way I am not opposed to them.