PDA

View Full Version : Royal scotsman

Cape Crusader
27-Oct-10, 14:07
The Royal Scotsman pulled by a steam locomotive is likely to be in Caithness today.
The train went through East Sutherland travelling northwards before 1400 today, October 27th.
Anyone able to give details of the itinerary? When will the train be heading south again? And locomotive details?

stekar
27-Oct-10, 16:46
Not heard or seen anything about this.

It might not actually come all the way up here, as some previous steam train trips have only gone as far as Helmsdale.

I'm sure someone else on the org will be able to give more information.

Hoida
28-Oct-10, 12:16
We were travelling south on the 840am train yesterday morning and the Royal Scot passed us about Alness I think heading north

Cape Crusader
28-Oct-10, 13:18
OK. Stand down troops!

The Royal Scotsman passed south through Brora just before 1300 today, 28th October hauled, not by a steam locomotive, but by class 47/7 diesel 47786 ROY CASTLE OBE. The train must therefore have overnighted in either Wick or Thurso.

Very impressive.

I got the wife a wooden leg for Christmas. An impulse buy, and not the main present. Just a stocking-filler. :lol:

Fran
28-Oct-10, 17:39
It is quite often here, and the passengers stay overnight at mackays in wick then head off in the morning. its well worth a close look at wick station

stekar
29-Oct-10, 18:57
There's an article in todays John O Groat Journal about it.

It was at Georgemas overnight, and the group of 36 passengers spent some time at Ackergill Tower. It had left Aviemore on Wednesday and the passengers were paying £1000 a day to wined, dined and pampered. Yikes!
It's a week round trip from Edinburgh Waverley and is due back there on Sunday and would be at Keith today.