PDA

View Full Version : How many channels on your BT Vision+??

JNMWick
27-Oct-10, 08:55
I just recieved my equipment last night and set it up only to be able to find 18 channels. Signal strength is at about 44% and i'm having trouble getting it any better.

Anyoe else out there had a similar experience or know how many channels I should be expecting??

I had about 70 channels with the tv's built in freeview before I set this up so it's a bit frustrating really.:confused

Alice in Blunderland
27-Oct-10, 09:11
None cant get the darn thing to work so its still in the box and Im still paying for it. :(

annemarie482
27-Oct-10, 10:25
i dont have bt vision +
just regular bt vision and have more channels than freeview.

JNMWick
27-Oct-10, 13:06
annemarie482 - What type of ariel do you have? Is it a 'high gain' or 'Wideband' ariel??

AiB - Have you had someone look at it? Why won't it work?

Anyone else have this Vision+, how many channels are you getting and with what type of ariel??

:)

FutureMix
27-Oct-10, 13:23
You dont get may channels even if you get it to work so dont be tight just get SKY!!!![lol][evil][evil]

Moonboots
27-Oct-10, 13:36
You should get all channels plus extra with BT Vision.
This is Freeview channels and Video On Demand.

If you are not getting all the channels and were before hand on the LCD TV then check the aerial connection going into the box to make sure it is not slack...

However BT Vision boxes are quite prone to missing channels this is because they like to have a good signal strength. As you say 44%. This aint good..

A Wideband Aerial should be used if pointing to the Rumster Forest Transmitter for all channels.

Violetsky
27-Oct-10, 16:40
I have BT Vision and it is far better that SKY in my opinion
However that was not the question asked - I have 69 tv channels and 21 radio channels
This is using one of the cheapest digital arials from Homebase (£28 i think it was)
and I just shoved in it the loft and pointed it north - no carry on trying to get it set right
As I am disabled I had the "man in the van" install freeview in my kitchen for me
He advised that everybody north of Brora should be using the Orkney transmitter
the arial that he pointed to Orkney had such a strong signal that he had to "turn it down" ?
On that system I have 91 channels
hope this helps - plus please do remember that on Vision you also have access to another 25 channels on demand - along with the replay service - and much much more - all this on the basic £6 per month option

annemarie482
27-Oct-10, 19:10
annemarie482 - What type of ariel do you have? Is it a 'high gain' or 'Wideband' ariel? :)

to be honest im not sure (not very technical! lol)
im in a newly built bungalow and have a large ariel in the loft.
but you should get loads of channels and pretty much most things you want on demand also.

Moonboots
27-Oct-10, 19:38
I had the "man in the van" install freeview in my kitchen for me
He advised that everybody north of Brora should be using the Orkney transmitter

Well whoever you got to install freeview in your kitchen is totally wrong. The main transmitter for Caithness and most of Sutherland is Rumster Forest.

The "Orkney" Keelylang Hill transmitter is for Orkney and northern coastal areas of Caithness.

the arial that he pointed to Orkney had such a strong signal that he had to "turn it down"

You must be really near the Keelylang Transmitter or got some massive high gain aerial to be getting too stong a signal...

Where abouts do you live...

Violetsky
27-Oct-10, 19:46
John O Groats - so there is nothing between me and the transmitter probably
and he was supposed to be the supervisor too - he did have one excuse though - he was from south of the border so we can maybe forgive him not being totally versed up on the locations up here

Moonboots
27-Oct-10, 19:51
That explains the strong signal lol...

If he is the supervisor then i know who he is...

He should be more clued up with the tranmitter though but we will leave him with being from the south lol..

JNMWick
27-Oct-10, 20:27
Moonboots you seem to know what your tlking about here, a few queries for you!

I have a Antiference EX10EW aeriel in the loft and have it pointed directly at Rumster, i think!

This is the aeriel I was told would do the job? Anyone know if that is correct?

Could it be that there is some interference on the coax from the aeriel? It runs through a booster and the coonections used seem to crush the cable a bit, would this be part of my problem?

All input greatly appreciated! :)

purplelady
27-Oct-10, 23:10
None cant get the darn thing to work so its still in the box and Im still paying for it. :(that happened to me and when i got on to bt they said it cud be my areil and as i live in a flat i cud not do anything about it went to sky in the end xxxx

Moonboots
27-Oct-10, 23:21
I havnt came across that model of aerial you say... could you check to make sure this is right.

Any aerial that is wideband will get a signal... even some old ones...

Theres a few problems which you have said yourself.

The booster could be the problem. make sure it covers all signal spectrum. ch21 -69
If the cable is crushed then yes that can deteriate the signal strength.
Interference can be caused by poor connections and cheap aerial cable..
Double screened cable is the best option to stop any interference.

If you are not getting interference and just not getting all channels then i would suggest a re-alignment of your aerial.

Hope this helps

Moonboots
27-Oct-10, 23:25
that happened to me and when i got on to bt they said it cud be my areil and as i live in a flat i cud not do anything about it went to sky in the end xxxx

Even though you live in a flat.. you can still get signals from an aerial.

If you have an aerial point in the flat. This is setup through an communal system.
Meaning if your point is not receiving the signals correctly then get onto your landlord to get the system changed to be compatible with digital signals.

Either an aerial could be installed outside with permission from the landlord too.

But again you have sky now.

Liz
28-Oct-10, 13:02
Moonboots you seem to know what your tlking about here, a few queries for you!

I have a Antiference EX10EW aeriel in the loft and have it pointed directly at Rumster, i think!

This is the aeriel I was told would do the job? Anyone know if that is correct?

Could it be that there is some interference on the coax from the aeriel? It runs through a booster and the coonections used seem to crush the cable a bit, would this be part of my problem?

All input greatly appreciated! :)

I know that Moonboots has answered your question but just wanted to let you know that I needed to get a new coax cable fitted (satellite quality)as well as a new aerial as was getting interference and break up. Also a good quality 'shielded' flylead is a good idea as well if the coax cable isn't going directly into your telly.

Good luck!

FutureMix
28-Oct-10, 13:16
The problem with BT vision is the "BT" bit anything with BT in it is crap. Service, quality and cost all crap. Just pay the extra and get SKY IMHO:eek:

Mizpah
29-Oct-10, 12:15
I just recieved my equipment last night and set it up only to be able to find 18 channels. Signal strength is at about 44% and i'm having trouble getting it any better.

Anyoe else out there had a similar experience or know how many channels I should be expecting??

I had about 70 channels with the tv's built in freeview before I set this up so it's a bit frustrating really.:confused
Have had Bt Vision since a while now and find it is first class and would say that it is better than Sky :)